News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has their windshield out (or at least front trim off) 2nd gen

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, April 01, 2009, 07:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

UFO

Add three more to the ten hole club.
spd A16-B01-B22,all hamtramck

maxwellwedge

I have the original windshield out of one of the 'Tona's - I'll get my bodyman to check.

Dodge Don

Quote from: oestermarken on April 02, 2009, 05:46:14 PM
Mine was build in Hamtramck..

/Brian

So much for that theory. Or maybe it was a Hamtramck practice that was adopted by St Louis the following year.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yeah Hamtramck for me as well...Brian (UFO) looks likje some early dates there as well (blows out my possible after Jan 1st theory)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 02, 2009, 06:32:38 PM
I have the original windshield out of one of the 'Tona's - I'll get my bodyman to check.

Ok - Checked - 10 along the top, 26 total.

1'st one on top starts about 1-3/4" from the corner, next one 4-1/8" from the corner.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 03, 2009, 09:13:47 AM

1'st one on top starts about 1-3/4" from the corner, next one 4-1/8" from the corner.

Are your clips still installed?  Curious to see if the "special" one is in the correct location
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 03, 2009, 03:34:53 PM

Are your clips still installed?  Curious to see if the "special" one is in the correct location

The car is over an hour away but I'll try and get some pics. It was reported all the clips were the same style - are people seeing a couple of different types? Clips are still installed - original windshield was removed by us for the first time....in one piece! There were a couple of nervous moments but we got it out. Were the measurements above not good enough? Do you need to know what are on the side?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 03, 2009, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 03, 2009, 03:34:53 PM

The car is over an hour away but I'll try and get some pics. It was reported all the clips were the same style - are people seeing a couple of different types? Clips are still installed - original windshield was removed by us for the first time....in one piece! There were a couple of nervous moments but we got it out. Were the measurements above not good enough? Do you need to know what are on the side?

Yes there are different clips on the top.....there are 2 unique clips that are installed in the second position from either side....

See this thread for comparison pics of mine....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55288.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Chris I looked at mine.They all look the same across the top.
Maybe maxwellwedge will have different results.
Also looked into the service bulletins,there's one for wind noise but it deals with the vent window.

maxwellwedge

All the clips across the top of mine are 100% identical. Maybe yours was done doing a period when 2 vendors clips were being mixed in or the one vendor changing their design slightly. The interesting thing would be to compare an early vs mid vs late production clip to see if there is a difference.

Dodge Don

The "special" clips are located in a unique spot in the sequence of holes and are right where the top SS trim contours around the top corner. I don't think it was a supplier issue, rather, a fit for purpose issue.  :Twocents:

maxwellwedge

Are yours installed/spaced similar to the dimensions of my clips?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ill measure mine tomorrow...when I got my clip set 10 years ago from Dave Ferro @ Totally Auto, he's the one that told me about the special clip that is mounted in the second inboard position....

We have established that 10 clips on the top is the norm for a lot of cars (even though the parts catalog only calls for 8 up top)

Next issue would be the use of this different clip

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

The clips in that pic are from Ferro and not the originals?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Both you and Dodge Don have these "special clips" and both are from Farro. My gut tells me to go with what is found on original cars and not to listen to Farro.   :icon_smile_big:  But - I will check my other 2 Chargers for the heck of it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thats all we ask.....almost 100k '69's built & no one is sure yet!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dodge Don

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 04, 2009, 10:09:50 PM
Both you and Dodge Don have these "special clips" and both are from Farro. My gut tells me to go with what is found on original cars and not to listen to Farro.   :icon_smile_big:  But - I will check my other 2 Chargers for the heck of it.

No you are missing the main point. My car came from the factory with these special clips. I have the original special clips that I removed off my car. My windshield had never been removed prior to my resto.

Totally Auto just happens to be the only ones who include these special clips in their clip packages.

maxwellwedge

Sorry - didn't read that......I guess we are back to checking other cars...I have 2 more to check and a friend has a couple others that are coming apart. Do you think it may have been dealer installed because of a service bulletin or does the spacing look natural? I doubt that though - the windshield pretty well has to be pulled to install those clips. Just thinking out loud here. Dodge Don, you may have mentioned this earlier - when you removed your original windshield did you note the difference and the position of these clips or notice after removal?

Dodge Don

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 05, 2009, 08:01:04 AM
Sorry - didn't read that......I guess we are back to checking other cars...I have 2 more to check and a friend has a couple others that are coming apart. Do you think it may have been dealer installed because of a service bulletin or does the spacing look natural? I doubt that though - the windshield pretty well has to be pulled to install those clips. Just thinkink out loud here. Dodge Don, you may have mentioned this earlier - when you removed your original windshield did you note the difference and the position of these clips or notice after removal?

I noticed while I was removing however failed to note the exact location of each clip. Which isn't like me....I may have recorded it and now cannot find it. Shakey knows how psycho-detailed I am....so my error. :shruggy:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 04, 2009, 08:08:42 PM
Ill measure mine tomorrow...when I got my clip set 10 years ago from Dave Ferro @ Totally Auto, he's the one that told me about the special clip that is mounted in the second inboard position....

We have established that 10 clips on the top is the norm for a lot of cars (even though the parts catalog only calls for 8 up top)

Next issue would be the use of this different clip

Chris,

I pullled my stock windshield last year and my rusty original clips are located exactly as yours.......
Built date is 9/19/1968 @ Hamtrack
The crappy side of the story is I forgot to bring my camera so I could 'nt take any pictures... So I can't tell you guys what clips mine has....
I'll update later on this.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Here is a pic off one Daytona.....these are all the same....I have another Daytona to check and I will have a look on my 70.