News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Say Hello to Project "SurpriseBird" (FINISHED) ...Updates Pg. 7 on 12-2-11

Started by CornDogsCharger, June 03, 2009, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

Actually I am already done with the car.  I finished it back in late Oct.... yeah, i know...... I'M WAAAAAY behind on my 'updates".  haha.  I would hate to figure how many hours I have in the car.  Its a lot.  I had 10 months in the Vitamin C Bird and I have more than that in this car.  This car was either rusted or wrecked everywhere you looked. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

The underside of the hood had a few areas that needed patch work.  The bad spots were "repaired" with fiberglass.  I took pictures of the whole process but during that time I lost my memory card for my camera and lost about 100 photos.  Here's what I have.  I cut out the bad metal and made new pieces and welded them in place.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

moparstuart

dude you are a master of metal , a surgeon with steel  :2thumbs: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CornDogsCharger

I get a tetanus shot every week! haha  thanks for the comments!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Here is where I transfers the auto console brackets over to the new floor panel.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

The parking light brackets were very rusty and in bad shape, so I decided I could build a pair of them cheaper then the reproduction ones were selling for.  I broke down what was left of the bracket and made a templet from it.  The originals are on the left and mine are on the right (first picture).  They are not 110% exact as the originals but they are pretty darn close.  I cut them out and bent them into place all by hand.... no metal brake or shear..... I'd really like to get one of those!  ha

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

The original left door was replaced after the wreck in the late 70s.  Luckily, it was a nice solid door.  The right door suffered a little bit of rust but nothing too bad.  I found the bad spots first, stripped the whole door, primed it, cut out the bad, and welded in new metal.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Since the original nose was in such bad shape, which can be seen in the first couple pages, a replacement nose was ordered from Erik Nelson.  The nose came in and looked very nice.  It was built just like the originals.  I did a lot of measuring and everything measured out nice.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

These pictures were taken just before paint started flying.  I drilled the holes and mounted the wing.  I did more work on the under side of the car and in these pictures the car was just about ready.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Final fit before the paint goes on.  In the last minute the driver side door gap wasn't right.  At the top, between the door and the quarter panel, you could stick your thumb in.  I had to split the quarter and lay it forward.  After I did this, the gap was perfect.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

I know some people might cringe at this, but the owner decided that he didn't want the car it's original color (EV2, Tor-Red).  He really wanted a Lime Green car.  Since almost every panel on this car had been changed at one point or another, he didn't feel so bad about doing it.  At least the engine and transmission were still the numbers matching pieces.  Actually, the trans was replaced but the original was included in the sell.  Being sold new in Florida, the car was sold new with dealer-installed A/C.  Many of the original parts were missing so I installed a kit from Classic Auto Air.  Now I'm starting to get ahead of myself....

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

70Sbird

Justin, Keep the updates coming (even though they're outdated already)
It's been said before, but you do amazing work!
Scott

Scott Faulkner

jonw29

I knew that the paint color would get a rise out od MoparStuart :icon_smile_big: Amazing job Justin. :2thumbs:

CornDogsCharger

Hey guys, thanks for the comments!  Here are a few more pictures after the car was painted and started going back together. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Here are the pedal assemblies before and after, and the wiper assembly.  I took everything apart, cleaned, and refinished it just like the factory did.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

I was able to clean up the rear end and find most all of the original paint markings.  I took MANY pictures of what I found and even made tracings.  I wanted to put all of the markings back on the housing exactly as it was when it left the factory.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

wingcarenvy

You truly put a frown on my face when I saw the pics of it going green. Nothing against green but he just ruined the value of that car even though it has gotten a mega dollar resto and he probably will never recoup his investment. I happen to be partial to EV2 that why I frown mostly. Haha, but you have done a fine job on this one for sure. Time for an update!!

E5 Charger

I love the green! Hey I have to ask, how did you strip the underside of the hood to the metal? It must have taken a ton of time. Awesome job on the car! I wish I had a fraction of your talent.

moparstuart

Quote from: wingcarenvy on October 28, 2011, 05:55:33 PM
You truly put a frown on my face when I saw the pics of it going green. Nothing against green but he just ruined the value of that car even though it has gotten a mega dollar resto and he probably will never recoup his investment. I happen to be partial to EV2 that why I frown mostly. Haha, but you have done a fine job on this one for sure. Time for an update!!
OMG chris did you just diss green and say you love RED !!!!   i will have to save this     :nana: :nana: :nana: