News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FLG's 73 SE Restoration Thread UPDATED 8/12

Started by FLG, July 06, 2009, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

For now ill build a mild 440. In the future its going to have a 500ci stroker. Even if i had no plans for the stroker id still be all for the sub frame connectors done in this matter.

FLG

More pics  :cheers:

Nitrox

Quote from: FLG on September 07, 2009, 06:10:52 PM
For now ill build a mild 440. In the future its going to have a 500ci stroker. Even if i had no plans for the stroker id still be all for the sub frame connectors done in this matter.

Nonsense. You dont NEED connectors of that strength for those applications for straight stretch drag racing...street OR strip. Let alone, sticking clear up threw the floor pan. Maybe so if you had a blown drag car. But, its your ride. Do whatever you feel is necassary for your..."mild" 440.

Your right, the guy has been making his living off this for years. So Im sure hes quite good at selling uneccassary parts and procedures. I think you got "took".

As for handling improovement on cornering or whatever. Have you noticed any higher sense of stability?

FLG

There still finishing up work so i have no idea how its going to feel. This is the way he builds em, i knew this before hand from seeing another members car (jb666) if there stronger then i need then so be it. I can understand if someone is doing a factory correct resto or somewhat factory correct then these are NOT the connectors that should be installed...i wanted them in for stability, bottom line.

FLG

QuoteYour right, the guy has been making his living off this for years. So Im sure hes quite good at selling uneccassary parts and procedures. I think you got "took"

The man builds drag cars and as you can see has some excellent welding skills. You can see the jb666's thread about his general and see more of his work. And ive personally seen some of his cages...again they look amazing.

I don't mind answering questions as to "why" im doing this this way or that way...but i can assure you i didnt get "took". I know im going to get asked why this way or why that way and i dont mind answering but if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all.

You have no idea how much im spending on the work so i dont see how you can come to that conclusion.

bordin34

looking good, where did you go to get all this done? The connectors look great, are they totally custom made? Are you getting the quarters and all that stuff done now also?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FLG

Yes bordin the connectors are completely custom. The quarters and trunk and the rest will hopefully get done later this year. For now its this, then im going to bring it back and do the mechanical work, engine, front end, and engine bay. Then bring it back later this year for the rest.

Bill Howell

Quote from: Nitrox on September 07, 2009, 06:20:27 PM

As for handling improovement on cornering or whatever. Have you noticed any higher sense of stability?

Absolutely. The reason we did subframe connectors is to help with body flex. I have never seen a unibody yet that doesn't have plenty, whether you are talking camaro, mustang or mopar. I would rather "waste" time and material on a few braces than distort my body. Trust me, I have done it before with a camaro, not an easy fix once you have warped the shell. These cars have a lot of flex, and simple things really help.  No more than I have driven my car, I can see a huge difference. I will know more after autocrossing it in two weeks.
Bill Howell

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: FLG on September 07, 2009, 06:35:22 PM
QuoteYour right, the guy has been making his living off this for years. So Im sure hes quite good at selling uneccassary parts and procedures. I think you got "took"

The man builds drag cars and as you can see has some excellent welding skills. You can see the jb666's thread about his general and see more of his work. And ive personally seen some of his cages...again they look amazing.

I don't mind answering questions as to "why" im doing this this way or that way...but i can assure you i didnt get "took". I know im going to get asked why this way or why that way and i dont mind answering but if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all.

You have no idea how much im spending on the work so i dont see how you can come to that conclusion.

Don't be discouraged by people like this! Its your car and you need to make YOU happy with it....Continue doing so!

As for Nitrox:  Lay off man ! Its not you car ,so don't worry about it. Advice is one thing,but criticism is not needed!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BrianShaughnessy

Frank,

Great looking SFC's  :2thumbs:  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how solid the car will feel after this.

I know I was very happy with the set I welded in my 89 Formula.     Night and day.     The Charger feels great even with it's set of low tech MP connectors.

Hope I get something close to that pretty with the project.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

FLG

Thanks guys  :2thumbs:

If anyone wants to see some of his other work, heres the site.

http://www.tubechassisdesignz.com/

Thanks Brian!!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 07, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
As for Nitrox:  Lay off man ! Its not you car ,so don't worry about it. Advice is one thing,but criticism is not needed!
Nitrox is as entitled to his opinion as you are  :angel: and it does like like some serious metal work. at least it wont bend in the middle if he's in an accident like most unibodies.

jb666

Nitrox, chill out. The shop doing this job is world class and has built show winnng 8 second street cars and has been doing so for 20+ years.

Frank. When this is done you will be very happy. Don't let the haters discourage you.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: aussiemuscle on September 07, 2009, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 07, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
Nitrox is as entitled to his opinion as you are  :angel: and it does like like some serious metal work. at least it wont bend in the middle if he's in an accident like most unibodies.

thats basically what I said.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Nitrox on September 07, 2009, 06:20:27 PM

Nonsense. You dont NEED connectors of that strength for those applications for straight stretch drag racing...street OR strip. Let alone, sticking clear up threw the floor pan. Maybe so if you had a blown drag car. But, its your ride. Do whatever you feel is necassary for your..."mild" 440.

Talk to Hemi Jack over on Moparts.  He was running his original no subframe V code Challenger at the track on weekends until the pass. side door quit closing right and the longitudal stripe doesn't line up anymore...with a 13 second car mind you.

Looks good Frank, that shop obviously does nice work.  You should notice a difference.  :2thumbs:

TA70455

They did similar frame connectors in my Camaro a few years ago and it made a world of difference. that car used to skip around a local Rotary, after the connectors went in it went around corners great and this was done for drag racing! they stiffen up the unibody cars a bunch! I saw Franks car Saturday and they are doing a great job

mopar73

Whooooo Dogggggggy, Those are some massive connectors!!!  your man did a great job of installing them and they look strong enough to tow an aircraft carrier :2thumbs:  They are a little much through the floorpan for my taste, but I could probably get used to them :icon_smile_big: Especially since your in the front and whoever is in the back will be screaming like a little school girl with your future 500ci on tap to notice the sfc's on the floor :cheers:
Scott

jb666

Quote from: mopar73 on September 08, 2009, 08:30:25 PM
Whooooo Dogggggggy, Those are some massive connectors!!!  your man did a great job of installing them and they look strong enough to tow an aircraft carrier :2thumbs:  They are a little much through the floorpan for my taste, but I could probably get used to them :icon_smile_big:Especially since your in the front and whoever is in the back will be screaming like a little school girl with your future 500ci on tap to notice the sfc's on the floor :cheers:
Scott

They look a bit like mine, which will never be noticed once the carpet/seats are in place. They connect rail to rail and are FULL frame connectors, not like a lot of the bolt on/partial crap that's out there..

And they built this monster with the same technology.. Handling power and not twisting to pcs.. And yeah, it's driven on the street.

:shruggy:

FLG

SWEET!

My thread has been exhumed!!

Will post the updated pictures soon. Ive had the car back for some time now, BIG difference in handling and feel.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

If i get time ill get some quick pics in tonight.

jb666

FLG

No progress pics till its clean, damn floor is filthy.

Until than, my other driving buddy. She scares the crap out of just about everyone that dosnt realize its fake  :D

jb666

Quote from: FLG on October 06, 2009, 10:05:02 PM
No progress pics till its clean, damn floor is filthy.

Until than, my other driving buddy. She scares the crap out of just about everyone that dosnt realize its fake  :D

I hate birds! That thing would probably scare the crap out of me too.

jb666

Here are a couple of shots for your inspiration.. This thing was nice!! I got the pics at a local show on Saturday.

The guys from the shop were with me and both said "Frank would love this!!"

:cheers: :cheers: