News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you install grill frame THEN put in the complete grill on a 69????

Started by Mfr426, November 23, 2005, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I was thinking that putting in the newly restored grill frame into the front end before putting in the grill would be a good move. I could then install the restored grill into the frame. Can these be done separately or do they need to be installed as one unit?

Or, does it make more sense to put the grill in the frame while on the workbench and then put it back in as a unit like it was taken out???

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike R in Reading PA

Skull-1

They did this with my Charger.  Not sure how.

She went from THIS..........

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Skull-1

To this:

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Here is a picture of the grille....  They were still mounting the driver side.......

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Mfr426

I may not have said that too clearly. I'd like to put the grill frame (that has the headlights actually mounted into) and put that on the front end and then install the plastic grill into that? When you take the grill out normally you would take it out as an assembly and then break the grill down (and out of) the headlight frame (the black item in your pictures).

Does that make sense? Thanks for the pics end effort though...

Mike R in Reading PA

Skull-1

Yes.  And what I am telling you is we put all the metal parts in FIRST *THEN* the grille last.

I don't know how the heck it was done because I only REMOVED the stuff.   I wasn't there when it went back in.  But in that last photo you can see them inserting the plastic parts last.

I think I have a picture of it with the frame assembled prior to the grille going in....  I will dig for it.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Shakey

Sounds like you and I are at approximately the same part of the restoration Mike.   As I stated in your thread about the valance, I am going to be assembling my front end in the next few weeks and will gladly share my pics, tips and frustrations with you.   If you are going first, share the same with me/us!

At this point, my grille support is loosely attached to the car.   After I attached all of the trim to the grille, I will decide as to whether or not I will remove the support from the car and insert the grille or simply slip the grille into place and tighten everything up.

Mfr426

Shakey, that's the shot of the day. I guess you (know) that the grill can go together that way with the frame first. It seems like it would be more manageable. If I get mine in this weekend I'll take some shots.

Thanks Scull. I couldn't tell that they did the grill frame and then dropped in the grill afterward. Now the question is how hard is it to do...

Mike R

Just 6T9 CHGR

I put mine in by myself a few times as an assy.....seemed easier to me
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

I agree. Assemble the whole thing and install as a unit. Some bolts would be impossible to install while the frame is in the car, like the outer door to actuator rod mounts.

Mfr426

Yep, I think from a safety angle that makes sense too. The grill is pretty brittle without the frame support...

Thanks!

Mike R

Just 6T9 CHGR

Also the lower valance should be LAST.   It is impossible to get the bumper on straight with the valance on (at least it was for me)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Skull-1

This is a picture while the block sanding was going on.     The grille frame is in first for sure.

I also have to admit that the grille that went in it was a factory original NOS my dad bought back in 1979.   We had it in storage for the last 20+ years and finally decided to put it on the car.   I shuder to imagine what it is worth.   I hope some clown doesn't back into me in a parking lot!!!  :)

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Mfr426

cudaken

I am with 6T9_CHGR..... Make it whole then bolt it in. With the grill one pices it only takes 5 minutes to install, less likely to get broken as well. I had all the braces, and latche installed. To planel will hold the grill in places for mocks ups with no bolts.

Cuda Ken
I am back