News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Product review : engine building and tuning DVD

Started by firefighter3931, October 02, 2009, 10:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

greenpigs

Big Squeese can you shoot me a pm with info to get CD? Personaly I would like a "day at dragstrip" tuning video next.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Big Squeeze

Quote from: greenpigs on December 11, 2009, 08:06:46 PM
Big Squeese can you shoot me a pm with info to get CD? Personaly I would like a "day at dragstrip" tuning video next.

Will do......... :cheers:

That's one of the things I've got plans for.......going to do a few cars in different ET ranges.........and it will be AWESOME......... :2thumbs:
Pump gas and hydraulic cams are for minivans.......

greenpigs

When i get home from work I'll order one. Don't forget us guys with the 14 sec street slugs. I can't wait to see that video, when can you get to it?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Big Squeeze

Quote from: greenpigs on December 11, 2009, 08:31:03 PM
When i get home from work I'll order one. Don't forget us guys with the 14 sec street slugs. I can't wait to see that video, when can you get to it?

Yes, will hit the 14 second crowd too........I need to sell another 1,000-1,500 of these videos before I'll be able to afford to do it.......and I'd like to get your G/F in your sig to help out......... :icon_smile_big:

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

R2

QuoteIn the carb section...........after if was all finished......I'd sent a copy to the guys at Barry Grant and they emailed me and said that there are situations where having a power valve, that's rated higher than the vacuum signal at idle, can actually make a carb dribble fuel out of the booster at idle.......I've never experienced that...............and neither has Dwayne Porter........so I wish I'd have left myself a loophole in the video right there.........

Also.......I talk really fast.......and most of the video had to be slowed down so it would be understandable  For example, the intro is running at 70% of normal speed.........so, I really need to work on slowing my speech down............  I can talk and be understandable, but when I talk about something that I'm passionate about, I get excited and and start spooling up......

I was having some issues with the PV stuff,,,,i researched it alot,,,and saw alot of differing opinions,,,,,most were using the vacuum reading at idle,,,as opposed to "cruise",,,so i wasnt sure what to do.....I have about 5-6 vacuum at idle,,,,with a 6.5 PV in the rear of the carb,,,,4.5 in the front,,( that's how it was longstanding),,, I might drop a 4.5 PV in the rear of the carb,,now,,and see what it likes,,,,
When i had a 6.5 in the front ( instead of the 4.5,,,the car did seem rich to me at idle,,etc,, )   :Twocents:
thanks for pointing this out Wayne,,,,might make for a good "addnedum" to the next video/DVD  :scratchchin:

I personally had a hard time hearing and understanding some of the DVD,,,, you do talk fast,,,and the speech was difficult to understand at times,,,you could tell you get excited and passionate about whay your talking about,,,,and start "spooling".... plus the audio was a bit hard to hear,,, :Twocents:

I think some written,,,dialogue boxes,,,that could "pop" on the screen that highlights what you are talking about would be a big help....as you go thru various topics....
I think MORE pictures,,diagrams,,,close ups,,,would help,,,,more visual aids,,,,as opposed to just talking,,,  :Twocents: :pity:

You covered ALOT of material,,,so i can understand how it would be tough to jam it all in,,,and then only have a few days to edit it all down,,,etc,,,,I give you alot of credit for trying to cover it all,,,,and get it on a DVD,,,,, :notworthy:

(off topic) I had a really outstanding Medical school teacher a long time ago,,,,very good teacher,,,I remember him saying the key to teaching is telling / teaching somebody in 3 steps......

-"first i am going to tell and show you WHAT i am GOING to say"

-"second,, I will SAY it"

-"third,,,i will TELL and SHOW you what i JUST said"

sounds silly,,,but it really imprints it,,,and made it easy to understand and learn some tough, complex topics..... :Twocents:

sorry for the derailment there,,,,Wayne the DVD was great,,,,sounds like you are looking for stuff to make the next one even better,,,,, I'll be getting that one also...

Doug

:2thumbs:

Big Squeeze

Yeah, I'd done a lot of research on power valves too.......and the way I described in the vid, has always worked great for me, and Dwayne Porter, especially if you have a really racy motor that has low vacuum at idle and more vacuum at cruise........Yeah, if I can sell all of the ones I have, I'd planned on reshooting it, but I've got a long way to go.........If I reshoot it, it'll probably take 5, 12 hour days to do it all..........not counting the week it takes before hand to get everything ready.......

If you think your PV is dribbling fuel at idle, you'll be able to see it coming out of the boosters.......if you can't see it, then that's not the problem..........

Thanks for the teaching tip....... :2thumbs: I'm ready to do more vids, but my pocket book isn't ready yet..... :cheers:

mauve66

Wayne, paypal sent, thanks alot, maybe i can get it out of the garage after all this year.......... :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

greenpigs

:eek2:I only could watch 1\4 of it before my head hurt. I am way on the bottom of the learning curve, more so than I thought. Plus I will be getting the carb tuning video when it comes out.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Big Squeeze

Quote from: greenpigs on December 19, 2009, 06:19:30 PM
:eek2:I only could watch 1\4 of it before my head hurt. I am way on the bottom of the learning curve, more so than I thought. Plus I will be getting the carb tuning video when it comes out.

I apologize for making your head hurt!!!  :icon_smile_big: Was there anything in particular you had a problem with? :cheers:

Wayne

greenpigs

I just need to watch it several more times as I can reference the dvd if I get stuck. After watching the carb tuning I think upgrading my 3310-3 to a proform main body makes even more sense. I will always have questions. :yesnod: Do you think a secondary metering plate is a worthwhile change on a mild street\strip car.

BTW I liked the Dart getting squirrely.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Big Squeeze

Quote from: greenpigs on December 19, 2009, 08:00:59 PM
I just need to watch it several more times as I can reference the dvd if I get stuck. After watching the carb tuning I think upgrading my 3310-3 to a proform main body makes even more sense. I will always have questions. :yesnod: Do you think a secondary metering plate is a worthwhile change on a mild street\strip car.

BTW I liked the Dart getting squirrely.

Cool.......On the metering plate, it depends on how close the A/F is now and how much you want to get out of it......

Quote from: Steve P. on December 19, 2009, 08:01:31 PM
Hey Wayne, will you be going to the MATS??

I haven't planned on it, but I'd like to........I'm going to try, but I've got a lot of irons in the fire, so it's hard to get away..... :2thumbs:

Wayne

Steve P.

There will be a bunch of us there this year and more than a few live in Vegas. Firefighter (Ron), and I will be staying with VegasMike. Mike will more than likely be running his 65' Coronet 500 on the track for the first time then.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

greenpigs

I just wonder how much $$$ I would have saved if I had something like this 10 years ago? My guess would be at least $750
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Big Squeeze

Quote from: greenpigs on December 23, 2009, 08:44:39 AM
I just wonder how much $$$ I would have saved if I had something like this 10 years ago? My guess would be at least $750

I've often wondered how much money I've thrown away learning all that..... :brickwall: ........I've told a lot of people that I would have LOVED to have had something like this when I was 16..........It sure would have saved me a LOT of money and headache too...... :cheers:

Wayne

Al

Hello Wayne,

I have received the dvd you sent me and watched it several times. It is so full of useful information explained in a down to earth and knowledgable manner. I greatly admire your pragmatical approach to complex matters.

Thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge with us.  :2thumbs:

If you plan on continuing with other subjects like suspension etc. I can only warmly encourage you to do it.

Kind regards
Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Big Squeeze

Quote from: Al on December 23, 2009, 01:21:31 PM
Hello Wayne,

I have received the dvd you sent me and watched it several times. It is so full of useful information explained in a down to earth and knowledgable manner. I greatly admire your pragmatical approach to complex matters.

Thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge with us.  :2thumbs:

If you plan on continuing with other subjects like suspension etc. I can only warmly encourage you to do it.

Kind regards
Al

Thanks, Al  :cheers: .........I tried my best to make it understandable to everyone.......I know that's how I like/need to have things explained to me...... :icon_smile_big:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Al

Yes you definitely do need this dvd.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully Wayne will be able to produce the carburetor dvd in a not so distant future.

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Troy

I got mine! Watching it while eating dinner this evening.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Steve P.

You're gonna love it Troy. I damn sure do....

I agree on the CARB vid. and also chassis tuning.  I can't wait.... 

I turned a buddy onto it and he said before watching it: If I learn ONE new thing from the video it will be worth buying. After he got it and watched it he called me and said: WTF didn't you tell me how good this guy is?? Said he has watched it many times and has his sons watching it too... This buddy of which I speak is WAY ahead of me in cars.. Blowers, no2, multiple carbs, injection. He's built them all and even retrofitted his own injection system. I didn't really push the video on him as I figured he probably knew most everything on it already.   :shruggy:  Glad I sent him the link.... So is he......  hahaha....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Big Squeeze

Cool.......I'm glad you guys are liking it........ :2thumbs:

Mopar Action just did a Product Review and were pretty rough on me, but they did say the info was really good.......Their complaints were the audio, a typo, the sub-titling not being perfect, not enough hands on demonstration, he says the subject matter jumps all over the place, and a couple things Ehrenberg didn't agree with, which were pretty minor.......I quizzed him about what he didn't agree with and he thinks I should have spent time talking about oils and additives, which was something I didn't do because there's already so much out there on that subject, but I guess I should have done that  :scratchchin: ........and when I talk about reversion and I say "exhaust is running back up the intake tract", he says I'm wrong and it's really unburnt air and fuel......which I DON'T agree with........ :2thumbs: All in all it was OK, but the way he worded it sure sounds pretty rough....... :shruggy:

Wayne

Steve P.

I hear ya brother, but getting input from ALL is the best way to build the next one bigger and better... You KNOW everyone has THEIR OWN WAY of doing things. What is proven is the most meaningful to me.

For a first time out and not having a writing crew or top of the line audio/video crew you did a fantastic job.   :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida