News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grill is FINALLY restored...PICs Included...

Started by Mfr426, November 27, 2005, 08:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Well, after about 3 or 4 weeks of working off and on I just finished my grill restoration today. I have to say that it came out fantastic! I figure I have about 30-40 hours in total into the work. I learned tons snd even restored my one C-molding after it had dings and nicks in it. It took a long, long time but I was amazed that I actually could restore the trim. Anyway, I'm one step closer to the car going to the garage for front end setup and final adjustments...

y3chargerrt

Very nice work. Can't wait to see it at next years carlisle!

Silver R/T

wow its mint, I have to tackle mine and its pretty rough
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

DC_1

So what are your tips and tricks to getting dings and scratches outta the trim?

bull

Quote from: Sydmoe on November 27, 2005, 09:14:04 PM
So what are your tips and tricks to getting dings and scratches outta the trim?

Yea, what he said. And what are you using to hold the grill up? Some funky-looking, padded, foldup sawhorse?

8WHEELER

Yeah what he said, I have seen those in body shops but not for sale anywhere, and I would like maybe 2sets.
Anyway good job on the trim, I try and tell people these trim peices evan in bad shape can be fixed with
some work. Most people just what to dump the money on the new repop units and they look good.
Evan if you pay a pro from a chrome shop to do it that will still save money and come out great.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

Thanks all for the nice comments! The "body shop horse" I got from Harbor Freight years ago. They were not expensive. I cant remember if they came with the pads or not. They look like pipe wraps that I use to insulate the hot water pipes in the basement (cheap too) but I cant be sure. The horse is a great investment and I have used it countless times (as you can see from the overspray).

The trim resto was very time consuming but worth the effort. I had a c-trim piece that I thought was going to be trashed so I decided to try to repair the dings and gouges. I figured that I would just replace it and would practice on piece. I used a blunt screwdriver (slotted) from behind and slowly worked the dings out from the back. I used the side of the trim as a pivot point and carefully smoothed it out. Then I used 150 grit sandpaper on the front of the trim. As many have mentioned this is anodized trim but I sanded that off first. I later discovered (from a thread in here) to use my scotch brite pad in my air grinder. That took far less time. Anyway, I sanded and continued to use the screwdriver from the back to get the trim somewhat flat. The sandpaper/scotch brite then took out the road rash and knocked down any high spots. From the 150 I went to 280 and then to 500 grit sandpaper. This part took much less time then the 150 part. From there I hit the buffing wheel being careful not to get the trim caught in the wheel. After about 10 minutes of careful buffing I had a nice shine. I then used 3M polishing compound followed by a good car wax to protect it.

By the time I finished what I thought was going to be a trashed C-trim I had a very nice usable piece (that you can see in the pics). It took me about 2-3 hours for that one piece but it was in sad shape. The other piece took me about an hour maximum to polish.

Give it a try. It was nice to know that I could actually restore that chrome. Just make sure you take your time and do a little at a time.

Good luck!

Mfr426

Shakey

Well done!   Everything looks great!

I have all new re-dipped trim that I purchased, not the reproduced stuff.  I do have two complete sets at home that I will refinish, using the methods I have learned from this site, from you and others.  I am waiting for my I piece to be shipped from Anobrite in CA this week.  Once I have it I can assemble my grille and post some photos.

Thanks!

DC_1

So tapping out the dings from behind actually works pretty well? I would have thought it would look kinda wavy where the dent was.Do you have any close up pics of before and after the repair? I think I will give it a try but I just wondered how weel the trim would look after being straightened.

Mfr426

Actually I "rubbed" out the trim from the back wiith a blunted Crashman screwdriver. I didnt use a hammer or tap it. The metal is soft and fairly pliable. Since I initially thought the trim was trash I didnt take any before and after shots. The damage was a few dings and a gouge though.

If you push the trim out too far you can file or sand it down to make if flush. My trim had the dings but the edges were in good shape so I had a good base to work from. You've got to to try it. It's easier then you would think.

Skull-1

Forget the grille, who's the chick? ? ? ? ?        ;D

Seriously, nice job.   Fabulous actually.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Mfr426

That's my wife of 9 years and our 13 month old. How things have changed since she came along. She's great!!!

Thanks for asking!

Skull-1

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

bull

Mfr, did you use some kind of pad to place the trim on as you worked the dings out or did you just hold it in your hand? Also, how did you prep the entire grill prior to painting it? Did you take it completely apart? Did you pressure wash it or have it dipped or anything?

Shakey

Quote from: bull on November 30, 2005, 08:23:53 AM
Mfr, did you use some kind of pad to place the trim on as you worked the dings out or did you just hold it in your hand? Also, how did you prep the entire grill prior to painting it? Did you take it completely apart? Did you pressure wash it or have it dipped or anything?

Mike can tell you about refinishing the trim.  I just bought redone stuff.

This link tells you how I cleaned, prepped and painted mine.  Not sure if Mike used these suggestions or not.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4620.0.html

Mfr426

Well, first let me say that I am by no means an expert. Hell, I'm a salesman!  :icon_smile_big:  I just read many threads about restoring the trim. The only trim that was NOT new was the C-trim on the ends. I used the blunt screwdriver and leaned on cardboard on my work bench. I really thought I would screw it up and was not too careful and after about 15 minutes realized that rubbing the trim from behind was actually working! I took my time once I realized that. I then used the 150, 280 and 500 sandpaper. I then buffed it and they really looked good. I was shocked that the buffer worked that well!

For prep on the plastic grill I first completely disassembled all the parts. i took everything apart!!! I put both end grills and the light doors in the dishwasher. I turned off the heat dry and it worked fine and removed any grease that was on the grill. I had to hand wash the center grill as it is too big for the dishwasher. Once clean I used 280 and then 500 sandpaper on the grill's long flat surfaces. There is really no way that I could figure out to sand in between all the fins so I didnt. I did try to sandblast it on low pressure. I didnt like the finish so I decided NOT to do it that way. I then used Dupont Plastic Prep before I painted. I used a wax cloth and some light air pressure to blow off the grill just before painting. I also used the flexible plastic primer prior to any final paint. My car was really driven before I owned it and the grill's plastic does have some pock marks in between the fins. Nothing I could do about that and just tried to fill them with the paint.

Hope this helps?

bull

Mfr426

bull

Looks like I could use some more advice from you in another area. What's it like taking care of that black paint, or am I seeing the color wrong? Has it been black for very long? Every time I decide to go with black someone tries talking me out of it but I know if I painted mine its original green I'd still want a black Charger. ???

Mfr426

Hey Bull, not sure what black paint you are talking about??? Let me know.  ???

Mike

bull

Sorry. I was at work when I saw your other thread (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6321.0.html) and on that screen it looked black. They buy only top-notch equipment for their valued employees where I work. I guess I'll have to ask Brian Shagnasty about black paint.

Mfr426

Now I got you. That is F8 dark green metallic and looks like running water!!! It's DuPont base coat/clear.