News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Reassembly (Beers Third gen)

Started by Beer, October 25, 2009, 12:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

This thread will serve as my reassembly, covering a bunch of board sections (Interior, Drivetrain, Paint and Body etc...)

Here is how it looked when I picked it up from the shop

Here is what I have done so far.

Put the radiator in (mainly to get it out of the way in the garage)...

The radiator I had recored.  Should more than handle the 402 Stroker.

Put the headlights in today, good thing I had a reference book...I had the head lights in backward.  They are numbered 1 and 2 on the bulbs.
Out Board lights marked with a 2 on the lens and inboard lights are marked with a 1 on the lens.

The trim rings had what looked like the old Rusty Jones undercoating on them, used a razor and electric clean to get em in better shape

Remember always cut away from ya :)

Added a new trunk mat from the Paddock

Had to notch it for the Spare Tire cutout, the Jack cutouts were already done from the Paddock.

What a nice day! Here is how it looks now. Some engine compartment items added.

OK my first Question...

What goes through the numbered holes on the pic below, looking to set up the hood release...

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

lisiecki1

hole #3 in your picture should be where the vacuum line and control cable for the a/c and heater controls pass through.....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Charger440RDN

Car looks good!! Keep the pics coming, I can't get enough of this type of stuff! I'm sure this thread will help many other people in the future.

Beer

Quote from: lisiecki1 on October 25, 2009, 12:43:28 PM
hole #3 in your picture should be where the vacuum line and control cable for the a/c and heater controls pass through.....

Leaves Hood release, Speedo, and ??? Parking brake maybe ???
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Todd Wilson

This is always the fun part. PUtting it all back together and finally seeing all the hard work and time and $$$ start to show! Take your time. Dont get excited about getting it together and scratch or knick or chip some paint. Get help when you need it.

Todd

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 25, 2009, 01:13:25 PM
This is always the fun part. PUtting it all back together and finally seeing all the hard work and time and $$$ start to show! Take your time. Dont get excited about getting it together and scratch or knick or chip some paint. Get help when you need it.

Todd

Good advise! And if you are like me you should take your time cause the exitement of the assembly will be over soon enough..I love that part.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

4 must be hood release and concelead harness if was the case ( dunno, that option didn't exist down here and I don't have that cut )

3 is heater wire and A/C vacuum to manifold nipple tee grommet

Parking brake leaves by inside the wheel well area.

1 and 2.... one of them is speedo wire ( mostly sure number 1 )the other one maybe cruise control harness grommet. We didn't get cruise down here so never got one of those cuts. ( nice to know where is now  :icon_smile_big:, I will fit cruise soon, already have all the setup )

will have to check better on my car, but just being logical

EDITING... my Humble opinion... I was fit the radiator AFTER the engine  :yesnod:... unlless you are excited to get everything on it ASAP, I WOULD BE... car is coming GRRRRREEEEEEAAAAT
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Just checked my 71 & 72, I have multiple conflicting answers :lol:

1. One wire(72), vacuum line(71)
2. Speedo. both cars
3.hood release(71).
4. Blanked off on both cars, and my 71 is a highly optioned SE  :shruggy:

Both my Chargers had backyard mechanics hacking them up before I did, so things could be different now, I'll see if I have any pics of my 72 parts car, that was 72k mile all original.

Just checked the fire wall on the part car. Hole #1 & 4 are blanked off with rubber inserts and were never used, it was a low option car but did have the remote hood release.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Beer

Thanks NH!  Just tore down the rear bumper/Rear lights/ License Plate light/Bumper rubbers...Bumper is intact, needs chrome or paint...undecided.

Question on the rear bumper brackets...seems to be a mix of studs and bolts?

Jim

Beer

Thanks Nacho  :cheers:

The radiator is 4 bolts, no biggy, its safer in the car than laying around  :yesnod:

Beer

Rear Bumper pics

Need to sandblast the bumper brackets, then decide what to do with the rear bumper...

NHCharger

Quote from: Beer on October 25, 2009, 03:31:11 PM

Question on the rear bumper brackets...seems to be a mix of studs and bolts?

Jim

Yes, I also checked my parts manual which does show a combination of both.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

congrats on reassembly...i'll be watching this thread like crazy...i'll help you out when i can...but my car is a ways away :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

SG1022

Beer

Update:

Got the seat covers from Legandary, sent the seats to a local shop.  Staying with the bench seats...Bench seats are the 70's...

Found a soda blaster near me, so he will be getting the Rear Bumper brackets this Saturday.  I acquired a usable Rear License plate holder, and should be putting the rear bumper on beginning of next week.   Front bumper brackets seem in really good shape, hopefully put the front bumper on the same time.  

Looking at running inspecting the wire harness's. The fuse panel is in really good shape.

Deciding what to do with the pitted window trim, mostly the rear window boomerangs, thinking dremel tool the pits and fill with putty. Hand sanding is not cutting it.

The factory Grey on the window trim and grill I think needs to be changed to Black.

Is there a source for rechroming bumpers in New England?

Need fender mount turn signal lights (cannot find mine  :brickwall: which were good)...

NHCharger

Jim,

Had one of my bumpers re-chromed in a shop in MA down near the RI border. I later learned they had a bad habit of losing parts and shipping parts to the wrong person. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. I had two bumpers done by Tri-City Plating, Bethenton, TN. Great work and a good price. I have never heard of a good chroming shop in this area.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

Quote from: Beer on October 28, 2009, 04:42:48 AM

Is there a source for rechroming bumpers in New England?

i've been wondering the same thing
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Beer

Thanks NH, fired off an email to them, If they have em in stock I may just buy em to speed things up.

Got the fuse panel in (pictures tomorrow) and knocked the pin out of the steering column (really easy with the engine out... :2thumbs:)  Put the rear shocks in as well (pics tommorrow).

Check out the wiring harness and do some repairs tomorrow there was some uncovered wires in need of repair...
hopefully swap the black column in as well...
if I get on a roll, put in the brake master cyl. too  :icon_smile_tongue:

NED Saturday may just be a go for the MOPARfest...weather wise. 

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Beer on October 28, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
Thanks NH, fired off an email to them, If they have em in stock I may just buy em to speed things up.

Check out the wiring harness and do some repairs tomorrow there was some uncovered wires in need of repair...
hopefully swap the black column in as well...
if I get on a roll, put in the brake master cyl. too  :icon_smile_tongue:

NED Saturday may just be a go for the MOPARfest...weather wise. 

The engine harness is famous for getting thin on the curves  as it comes around the back of the engine and curves up along the passenger side valve cover. Might be worth your time to take off all the black electrical tape which isnt that hard to do and inspect the wires for bad insulation and then retape with new black electrical tape.

Todd

Beer

Update...

Reply from Tri City Plating...
We have 73 Charger bumpers in stock, cost would be: $375 (each) Exchange or chroming yours <OR> $495 (each) Outright + shipping. Turn around to chrome yours would be approx. 5 weeks. You can ship your cores in via UPS or FedEx Ground. If you want to order ours outright, please call.

Tri City Plating Co., Inc.
218 E. Mill St.
Elizabethton, TN 37643
800-251-7536
423-542-1692

Got the front bumper on...MAN did that free up some Garage Real Estate! Need to clean it, got 6 years of garage dust on it...bought some chrome polish (for the time being use what I got), will likely go with the exchange or outright purchase with Tri City Plating Jan/Feb...

Got the Brake Master cylinder in....Missing the bolt that connects to the master cylinder and the pedal (I have the pivot bolt/spacer and locknut)...Lil Help on source or what it is (Just a hardware store bolt?).

Got the steering column out...Being able to be inside the engine bay and hammer the pin out was a breeze (tried doing it with the engine in, and could not get it).

Got the rear bumper brackets and license Plate holder to the blaster, should have those back Sunday.

Police wheels have shipped to Jegs, now I gotta wait for Jegs to ship em to me...

Got to get Pics! 

noff57

Love the car!!! Can't wait for more pics..  :popcrn: :popcrn:

Beer

Got some progress on the rear bumper side, the rear brackets are back from the Blaster, and I got em painted Black.  One of the brackets had 2 of the 3 bolts broke off in it, had to drill them out. The bolts are 3/8-16  Ran a tap through them to clean everything up.   Excuse the nite pics.  Should have more pics tomorrow.

Charger440RDN

NHCharger

It's been a while but I believe it's a lot easier to reassemble your bumper, lights and bracket first, then install it on the car. there is some slop in holes where the bumper bracket attaches to the car so you can line up your bumper with the rest of the car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel