News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 Block/TTI Headers and starter

Started by 1970Moparmann, January 11, 2010, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Sorry guys, I searched and can't find anything on this.  I purchased a 440Source starter, but it won't work with the TTI headers :brickwall:.  Anyone have a solution so I don't keep ordering starters that won't fit?  THANKS! :2thumbs:

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1970Moparmann

Nacho-RT74

well, it was kinda joke, but also true... headers instructions talks about that posibility ( at least ones a friend of mine got Summit brand to SB on A body )...

those are the moments where RB and BB differences should be taken in mind when selling/manufacturing headers.

Are those shorties, right ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Back N Black

Is there a difference between the 400 and the 440? i have a 440 with TTI headers and 440source starter and there is lots of room.  :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

diff is that RBs being taller, makes also engine WIDER ( more gap then ), and curvature meets better ( if you notice, there is a curve on a lower point of collector ) so for both reasons at a time, starter is getting room on your car.

firefighter3931

Mike, are those TTI headers ? They look like shorty headers but it may just be the angle of that pic  :scratchchin:

TTI does make 2 different styles of header....one for the B block and the other for the RB engine. If those are TTI's make sure you have the correct headers for the application.

I used a starter from DB Electrical on E-Bay and have recommended it to several members. It's very compact and fits fine with all headers. I've yet to hear anybody say it doesn't fit their car with Headers or manifolds.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidog

That don't look like TTI headers too me. And I got TTI headers on my 400.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bordin34

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 11, 2010, 10:06:40 PM
It's very compact and fits fine with all headers. I've yet to hear anybody say it doesn't fit their car with Headers or manifolds.  :2thumbs:
Ron
The DB electric starter did not fit with my no-name headers, I had to use a /6 starter.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1970Moparmann

I'm not liking what I'm hearing.  When I got this car, I was told they were TTI headers. 

Here's another picture-

firefighter3931

Quote from: bordin34 on January 12, 2010, 02:42:29 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 11, 2010, 10:06:40 PM
It's very compact and fits fine with all headers. I've yet to hear anybody say it doesn't fit their car with Headers or manifolds.  :2thumbs:
Ron
The DB electric starter did not fit with my no-name headers, I had to use a /6 starter.

Well, that's the first one....i know it fits a 383 with Headman headers.  :yesnod:

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 12, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
I'm not liking what I'm hearing.  When I got this car, I was told they were TTI headers. 

Here's another picture-

Those are not TTI headers.....they are the shorty Schumachers or something similar.  :P

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1970Moparmann

Great. :brickwall:  Boy I hope they fit ok....

71383bee

Yep...I concur.  Those are not TTI headers. 

I have the TTI 1 7/8" headers on my 383 and they fit with plenty of room for my starter.  I am using a smaller modern mopar starter from a Dakota, but I bet even the old monster stock starter would fit too. 

Sorry about the bad news.

Here's some pics of mine last year while I had the tranny rebuilt.

71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Nacho-RT74

room to fit... BUT ROOM TO SERVICE IT ?

Hemidog

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2010, 02:52:45 PM

I've got the original monster starter, and it fits, but you have to unbolt the header to remove the starter.

71383bee

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2010, 02:52:45 PM

In comparison to other headers...the TTI's provide quite a bit more room.  I can access the upper mount bolt and the wiring nuts from the top fairly easily.  On a stock starter I can see it being a bit tighter though.  What do you expect for headers though...there are always trade offs with them. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey 71383Bee,
The spark plug clearances look pretty close too on the non-tti headers of Moparmans. Are the TTI's a better fit with the plugs or do you still have to put heat shielding on the plug lead and take the header off to get to change the plug? I have a set of Stealth heads on my 400 and I know the clearance to the hooker headers is tight. Is it worth turfing the hookers for TTI's ya think?

werner

Those arent TTI,s. Buy an indexable starter from Summit Racing. Allows you to rotate the motor away from the headers
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: werner on January 19, 2010, 04:32:31 PM
Those arent TTI,s. Buy an indexable starter from Summit Racing. Allows you to rotate the motor away from the headers

Werner, I'm not aware of an indexable starter.  I'll do some research and see what I come up with.  Thanks! :nana: 

By-the-way, welcome to the forum :cheers:

71383bee

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on January 19, 2010, 10:53:12 AM
Hey 71383Bee,
The spark plug clearances look pretty close too on the non-tti headers of Moparmans. Are the TTI's a better fit with the plugs or do you still have to put heat shielding on the plug lead and take the header off to get to change the plug? I have a set of Stealth heads on my 400 and I know the clearance to the hooker headers is tight. Is it worth turfing the hookers for TTI's ya think?

I am a happy camper.  Actually i had trouble initially with the #3 burning a boot.  But actually a guy from TTI emailed me and informed me that i had an older side header.  They shipped a new one out to me and I swapped it...it was no charge.  After that and a new set of custom Firecores and I was cruising.  From here on out I will only buy their headers. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Aussiemadonmopars

A mate of mine bought hookers for his 440 and like you say number 3 plug is a tight sqeeze and required a high temp. wire to feed it. I can only guess what the clearance is going to be like, just by looking at the pipes. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to ditch the hookers and go the TTi's? By the way, that's damn good service by them, I'm thinking of going with them just on your story. Are their full exhaust systems any good? I'm looking at getting mine done locally in stainless but might be persuaded to go the whole lot in TTi.

71383bee

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on January 20, 2010, 08:58:42 AM
A mate of mine bought hookers for his 440 and like you say number 3 plug is a tight sqeeze and required a high temp. wire to feed it. I can only guess what the clearance is going to be like, just by looking at the pipes. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to ditch the hookers and go the TTi's? By the way, that's damn good service by them, I'm thinking of going with them just on your story. Are their full exhaust systems any good? I'm looking at getting mine done locally in stainless but might be persuaded to go the whole lot in TTi.

The new header had a nice sized dimple for the plug which has plenty of clearance now.  I can change the plugs much more easily now.  Don't get me wrong headers are still a pain to do plugs with, but this is the easiest yet for headers that is. 

I am running their complete 2 1/2" X pipe system and slotted tips too.  I installed them myself with the car on roller wheels.  Fit and finish was excellent.  I did take it to a local Merlins Auto Place to properly cut the ends and weld the tips.  The car itself was a hit at the shop, but the guys marveled at the exhaust setup.  They had to do some minor tweaking to line tips up, but other than that no re-bending or re-welding was needed.   

I know their big $$$ but I am a believer.  My buddy who is doing a resto on his 72 charger rallye already had planned to do the exact setup based on my experiences. 

To save $$$ try to buy at shows they attend.  i bought my setup at the Nats several year ago before the car was done.  You save on shipping and at least at the time at the nats they offered a discount.  I think it was 10% or maybe 15% but its' been a while...
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Back N Black

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on January 20, 2010, 08:58:42 AM

I have the TTI complete exhaust system and i love it, fits like a glove. I used the Dynomax ultra flow mufflers.  :2thumbs:

Aussiemadonmopars

Cool, I ordered them about 2 weeks ago, should be here in another month or 2, just in time to fit the motor in.  :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

Sorry to resurrect this thread.   

Does anyone have any pictures of TTI headers and the clearance they have with a 383 or 400 with a mini starter?   I can't find a starter that is going to work with my Schumacher and my clearance issue. 

Budnicks

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 12, 2010, 02:45:45 PM
Look like Schumacher Headers to me
Yep that's what they look like too me to, I have used a bare header flange with header gaskets on both sides & 1/2" longer header bolts, it will space the headers out just enough on the drivers side to clear the starter or have some individual spacers made up, most people will never know the difference... Good luck
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

myk

Out of curiosity, just how much does the stock starter weigh?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph