News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper Placement of Reverse Light Indicator on Dash (4 spd)

Started by Pentastarpackrat, January 31, 2010, 04:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentastarpackrat

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else, I couldn't seem to find any info on this.

I'm getting ready to do a complete swap of my 727 TF (column shift) to an A-833 4 spd on my '68 Charger. I have collected everything I need to do a correct stock appearing conversion but need to confirm the exact location of the small chrome reverse indicator light that goes on the lower center area of the dash. Also, the correct routing for the wires. Can anyone with a factory 4 spd assist with measurements or pictures?

Thank you. Ryan

resq302

Welcome to the site!  I will try to get you those measurements in the next day or two.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

mopar_nut_440_6

I do not remember my 68 having a reverse light indicator!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Dans 68

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on February 01, 2010, 12:07:45 AM
I do not remember my 68 having a reverse light indicator!

You probably had an Inland Shifter. They did not have a reverse indicator light, as they had a positive reverse lock out. The reverse light came with the Hurst shifter.

Here are some photos of original (as far as I know) reverse lights installed. The 1st, 2nd and 4th photos are of Hamtramck builds, while the 3rd one is St. Louis.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Pentastarpackrat

Thank you to all of you who replied. The pictures are very helpful but it appears they're all in slightly different positions? (maybe it's just the angle of the shot?) resq302, if you could provide measurements to the center of the hole and reference points, that would be great.

I know it's not a factory 4 gear car so it probably doesn't matter that much but I'm kind of crazy about details.

There isn't a hole on my dash where I would expect there to be one, or even a punch mark like is sometimes the case. Thanks guys!

Dans 68

I think it is generally the angle of the shots...probably had a tolerance of plus or minus 1/8" in its location. It looks to about it's own width away from the edge of the ash tray opening. We'll see what resq302's measurements tell us.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

resq302

Sorry for the delay in my response with the measurement but I had some family stuff come up that needed attention first.  Measuring from the ash tray going towards the left, the hole is centered exactly at 2" left of the left edge of the ash tray.  As for the other measurement, I could not get an accurate measurement cause of how the dash curved under towards the firewall.  However, I did notice that there were two metal holes that seemed to be punched into the dash at the factory that might have been weld holes as there is some bracing behind the dash where the curved part is.

Hope this helps.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Pentastarpackrat

Thanks very much! Between the pictures and the measurements, I'm sure I'll get it in the right place. Much appreciated.

Now I've got some reading to do to figure out how to go about restoring the gauges and gettng the tach working.

Ryan

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.