News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Dodge Charger '69 R/T 440cid

Started by Charger´69, March 10, 2010, 09:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger´69

Quote from: LUMI on May 10, 2011, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: Charger´69 on May 10, 2011, 02:50:06 PM

Ummm, what deal are you talking about....?  :scratchchin:

:hah: :D :nana:
if you have dementia you can read few upper posts  :coolgleamA:
i think i just bought a cheap parts car :icon_smile_big:

That dementia isn´t really the biggest problem I have  :rofl:

But don´t worry, I have a '69 Charger just for you my friend and you can get it $2000 like I promised. It is 1:24 so you won´t need even a trailer for it  :nana:

PS. When we see that your '68 in action..? I´m waiting to see that monster in quarter mile  :drool5: This weekend is first drag race weekend in Pudasjärvi  :icon_smile_wink:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

flyboyedwards

Quote from: 69fuchs on March 11, 2010, 05:28:01 PM
I think I know that car.  It came from Richland Center, Wi.  A guy named Ernie owned it.  Nice car.

I know Ernie too, being from Richland Center, and it IS an AWESOME 69. I just heard that he shipped it away. I think it's the same car. IF it is, you won't be disappointed.

LUMI

Quote from: Charger´69 on May 10, 2011, 05:09:51 PM

Ummm, what deal are you talking about....?  :scratchchin:

That dementia isn´t really the biggest problem I have  :rofl:

But don´t worry, I have a '69 Charger just for you my friend and you can get it $2000 like I promised. It is 1:24 so you won´t need even a trailer for it  :nana:

PS. When we see that your '68 in action..? I´m waiting to see that monster in quarter mile  :drool5: This weekend is first drag race weekend in Pudasjärvi  :icon_smile_wink:

OK i allready have one red -69 do you take it for a trde   :rofl:

still awaiting for gearbox to my 68 so no idea when rubber burns here :flame:

Charger´69

Quote from: flyboyedwards on May 10, 2011, 09:29:57 PM
Quote from: 69fuchs on March 11, 2010, 05:28:01 PM
I think I know that car.  It came from Richland Center, Wi.  A guy named Ernie owned it.  Nice car.

I know Ernie too, being from Richland Center, and it IS an AWESOME 69. I just heard that he shipped it away. I think it's the same car. IF it is, you won't be disappointed.

I haven´t been disappointed in any point  :icon_smile_wink: I really would like to talk with Ernie about this Charger, could you please send me contact info to Ernie if you know him. Ernies Email address would be nice  :2thumbs:

LUMI: I can take that '69 for a trade  :rofl: I hope that gearbox comes soon!! It ain´t nice to just wait parts...

Charger´69

Today I was cruising Charger again few hours.. I noticed, that after that intake, airfilter and carb change it started to ping sometimes. Usually then when I floored it and it shifted to 2nd gear it started pinging. I did notice this week ago first time, but I haven´t had time to drive it much so I didn´t even remember that and today it pinged few times again. That didn´t do always that I think, or then I haven´t notice it every time.

Last fall in last drag race day I increased BTDC so long, that it got best trap speed. And I think it didn´t ping then ever. Now I checked that BTDC and it was something like 17 degrees BTDC, I decreased it to 12 degrees BTDC and now it doesn´t ping at all and I think it accelerates better now  :2thumbs: Don´t know if it is really lean in some RPM and pings because of that or was my timing advance far too much to my new setup. But with that old setup that 17 degrees BTDC wasn´t too much, max advance was something 36-38 degrees, now something 5 degrees less and it works.

How easily that pinging if that is happened several times do something damage to engine?  :scratchchin: Don´t know how easily these naturally aspirated engines gets damaged after some pinging, turbo and supercharged engines blows up easily if pinging starts  :o My friend said that these old mopar engines won´t damage easily if it pings sometimes, but do I have to be worried about something now because this has pinged several times?  :scratchchin:

Charger´69

Today I increased timing advance +2 degrees to BTDC 14 degrees, max timing is now 35 degrees I checked that also. That should be ok?  :scratchchin: It didn´t start to ping and accelerated nicely. That was odd that it started to ping sometimes with new carb, airfilter and intake. But I assume it is ok now. We´ll see.....

Charger´69

Well I´m not sure, but I think it pinged maybe one or two times when I floored it today when we was cruising. So I decreased that BTDC back to 12 degrees (max timing now something 33 degrees I assume). That should be safe now. I tested it several times and it didn´t ping at all. I´m not even sure is it pinging that I hear, some minor "clicking" sound there was. Now it´s gone so I think it is pinging.

Maybe I´ll change bigger jets to it also just to be sure that it ain´t lean in any case, I´ll increase +2 jet size to primary jets and +1 to secondary jets, so those will be then 74/77, those are now 72/76 (770cfm came with 72/75 jets). That pinging might be caused also if it is lean. Sparkplugs ain´t look bad, color is something like it should be so it is "close" to be just right.

Don´t know is it really that those new intake, carb and airfilter causes pinging or is it really caused by that new gasoline I use. We have had here last summer gas called "V-Power" and it´s octane is in our country +99. But this year Shell added to gasoline ethanol 5% (it´s name is now V-Power 99E5). I think that ethanol should increase octane, but if they changed that fuel in some other way also it might be worse and lower octane than it was in last summer  :scratchchin:

bobs66440

I think if the initial timing is between 10-12 deg BTDC and total is 35 or so (with vacuum advance disconnected), you should be good.  :2thumbs:

As far as there being damage from pinging...I don't know of any other than in extreme cases, you will put a big hole in one of the pistons. If you did that, I think you would know it.  :lol:

There shouldn't be any damage as long as you don't let it go on too long... :Twocents:

Charger´69

Thanks a lot flyboyedwards  :cheers: He gave me Ernie´s email address and now I´ve been changing emails with Ernie who owned this Charger before me  :woohoo:

He told me that first owner owned this Charger 29 years, they bought the Charger new in Denver, Colorado U.S.A. They owned it 29 years, then first owners sold it to Ernies friend, who owned this something 1-1.5 years and then Ernie himself bought it from his friend and owned it 10 years before I bought this, so I´m the 4th owner of this Charger  :cheers:

Ernies friend who had bought this from first owners did the bodywork (put lower quarters both side trunkfloor and driver floor) and painted it (he does it for living). And then Ernie bought it. Ernie rebuild:
- suspension
- interior
- motor (HP2 engine that Ernie bought from his friend, it´s from '69 Police car that had 60000 miles on it)
- transmission (that is TF727 from '67 Dodge that had 40000 miles on it but it slipped, so it was rebuilded and shift kit was also added)
- brakes
- rear end (3.23 posie, I still think it is 3.55?)
- wheels
- radio
- windshield
- etc.

Engine got mild rebuild, because it had driven only 60000 miles and it was in good condition. Rebuild contained new cam and lifters ('69 440cid 6 pack cam+lifters!), cam bearings, frost plugs, timing chain + gears etc. And Ernie said about that paint "The paint is original R4 Red is what Dodge called the paint code, or Blood red looks orange in the sun looks red in the shade. It was a high impact special order color for 1969". And Ernie is a member of Mr. Norm´s car club, that is why there is Mr. Norm´s stickers.

Ernie promised to send me old photos from this great Charger, now I´m waiting those and asked few more questions from Ernie. It was great to hear this story from Ernie, so thanks Ernie and thanks flyboyedwards who made this conversation possible!!  :cheers: Now I´ll wait those pictures and more information  :drool5:

Charger´69

Today I swapped those primary jets +2 size bigger. Sparkplugs seemed pretty ok color before that, so there is a change that it is too rich now. Primary jets are now 74 and secondary 76, that 770cfm original jets from Holley was 72/75. So those are not much bigger jets now though. It started and idled good and didn´t smell awful rich even I didn´t touch to idle mixture screws.

Hopefully tomorrow doesn´t rain that I can go testing it  :drool5: Now here rains so Charger stays in garage...  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger´69

Today I tested Charger.. Well, I think it didn´t need more gas like I thought, it felt "heavy" and didn´t idle as good as before, I even tried to adjust idle mixture but it didn´t get as good as with smaller jets. But sparkplugs seemed to be maybe even better looking with bigger primary jets, but it didn´t feel "right" and I think it accelerates noticable better with those smaller 72 primary jets and throttle response is much better. So I changed those 72 primary jets back to it and it felt better like that. So that Holley factory tune was pretty good like that. Well I have those one size bigger secondary jets there and I didn´t even try it with 72/75 jets but I let those 76 size secondary jets be there just to be sure that it won´t go lean in higher rpm.

So now there is again 72/76 jets and I think those are best to my setup. Next step to get more power is to add more cam, but that isn´t this summer´s job, maybe next winter I´ll change some little more aggressive cam to it. I red somewhere that 6-pack cam is same than original magnum cam, so there aren´t then any more cam than Magnum engine has like I was told. Well, that doesn´t bother me, now I know that if I change that cam to something more aggressive it get plenty more power....  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger´69

Last summer I tried that MSD Blaster 2 coil, but it didn´t work properly with that original ballast resistor that I have in Charger.

Today I installed that MSD Blaster 2 coil (part no. 8202) again, now with MSD 0.8ohm ballast resistor (part no. 8214). Now when it idles, there is ~8 volts in MSD Blaster 2 coils "+" wire, is it right now? Or should there be 12 volts?  :scratchchin: I didn´t check how much it was with original coil and with original ballast resistor..

Oh, I have that newer kind ('70 up style) electronic ignition (Mopar Performance??) and dual field alternator, so those are updated if those does any difference when thinking those coil voltages...

tan top

Quote from: Charger´69 on May 24, 2011, 09:52:21 PM
Thanks a lot flyboyedwards  :cheers: He gave me Ernie´s email address and now I´ve been changing emails with Ernie who owned this Charger before me  :woohoo:

He told me that first owner owned this Charger 29 years, they bought the Charger new in Denver, Colorado U.S.A. They owned it 29 years, then first owners sold it to Ernies friend, who owned this something 1-1.5 years and then Ernie himself bought it from his friend and owned it 10 years before I bought this, so I´m the 4th owner of this Charger  :cheers:

Ernies friend who had bought this from first owners did the bodywork (put lower quarters both side trunkfloor and driver floor) and painted it (he does it for living). And then Ernie bought it. Ernie rebuild:
- suspension
- interior
- motor (HP2 engine that Ernie bought from his friend, it´s from '69 Police car that had 60000 miles on it)
- transmission (that is TF727 from '67 Dodge that had 40000 miles on it but it slipped, so it was rebuilded and shift kit was also added)
- brakes
- rear end (3.23 posie, I still think it is 3.55?)
- wheels
- radio
- windshield
- etc.

Engine got mild rebuild, because it had driven only 60000 miles and it was in good condition. Rebuild contained new cam and lifters ('69 440cid 6 pack cam+lifters!), cam bearings, frost plugs, timing chain + gears etc. And Ernie said about that paint "The paint is original R4 Red is what Dodge called the paint code, or Blood red looks orange in the sun looks red in the shade. It was a high impact special order color for 1969". And Ernie is a member of Mr. Norm´s car club, that is why there is Mr. Norm´s stickers.

Ernie promised to send me old photos from this great Charger, now I´m waiting those and asked few more questions from Ernie. It was great to hear this story from Ernie, so thanks Ernie and thanks flyboyedwards who made this conversation possible!!  :cheers: Now I´ll wait those pictures and more information  :drool5:

wow thats  great !!   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bob T

Always good to hear that the engine had Upgrade work done on it - not just stock replacements.
Great to have contact with the previous owner too, a bit of history is always nice.

I only found a personalised pen from a previous Lady owner of my Charger when I pulled the seats out, probably had been under the carpet for the last 35 years  :lol: , but had a handfull of reciepts for trans etc  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Charger´69

Who can help me with this coil issue?  :scratchchin:

I have that MSD Blaster 2 coil now there and 0.8ohm ballast resistor. When I use digital voltagemeter to check voltages, if I put voltagemeters gnd wire to Charger´s chassis gnd (for example to intake manifold) I get +7.6V from coils + connector and +3.0V from coil´s - connector. If I just put voltagemeters wires to coil´s + and - connectors, it shows 4.6V (well that comes from 7.6V-3.0V -> 4.6V). Is there something wrong? Should I find somewhere from coil that 10.5-12V...?  :brickwall: And why there is in coil´s - connector positive voltage (+3.0V)..? Please, somebody, tell me is there everything alright now  :popcrn:

I just want to be sure that my MSD Blaster 2 coil gets enough voltage to work properly and I haven´t found that 10.5-12 voltage from anywhere.. If it doesn´t go like this, that those coil´s - connectors 3V are summed to + connectors voltage that is 7.6V, then there would be that 10.6V. Help!!  :rofl:

Charger´69

Some new photoshopped pics from photographer Mika Vallineva  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger´69

Few new pics from today´s O.S.H.A. cruising  :cheers:

My friend had also "bolt-on" wideband lambda (VEMS) with him, so we bolted it to Charger and went testing. Air fuel ratio was great, when cruising low speed it was 14.5:1-15.3:1 so it was perfect. When WOT, it went a bit lean (>15.0:1 when it should go somewhere 12.0:1) when flooring it fast, so I need bigger "powervalve" or what is it called in Holleys. But when driving WOT, it got somewhere 3000rpm AFR 13.5:1 and +5000rpm AFR 12.0:1, so it´s just great! Only "problem" is, that when cruising +70mph, AFR is somewhere >12.0:1, so pretty rich. When cruising 50-60mph, it was somewhere 13.5:1 so that´s OK. I think that when I put that almost lightest spring to secondary vacuum side, it opens secondary too easily in over 65mph speed. Well, I could always change that harder spring there, but then I would lose power from mid range and I don´t wan´t to do that  :icon_smile_wink: Have to think something else or then I just let it be rich, it won´t do any harm, it ain´t that rich  :D

Charger´69

Few days ago I bought another ´69 Charger, this Charger has blower also  :2thumbs:

Charger´69

Last weekend here was cruising and outdoor car show called "Oulujärvi Cruising". Weather wasn´t best possible, it rained beginning of that day but we did go there because I had been waiting for that happening! There was 70 vehicles, my Charger got awarded and got first place!!  :cheers: It was a great day  :coolgleamA: And now I have a big trophy as a memory of that nice day :woohoo:

Now we are on a road trip with Charger. This is first time when I got it for a little bit longer trip. And we have FUN with it! There is no better feeling than cruise slowly with this kind of old muscle car, everywhere we go, this turns heads and gets thumbs up from people  :2thumbs:

Here is few pics from our trip that still continues. In third pic we are in our destination in country side. Like you see, Charger got dirty but I washed it immediately like last pic shows...  :icon_smile_wink:

Bob T

Sooo, any updates Bud? Shows or cruising pics 
Since I'm still car-less for another few weeks I need to look at pictures of other peoples cool cars  :icon_smile_big:

:cheers: Bob
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Charger´69

Quote from: Bob T on October 29, 2011, 08:40:03 PM
Sooo, any updates Bud? Shows or cruising pics 
Since I'm still car-less for another few weeks I need to look at pictures of other peoples cool cars  :icon_smile_big:

:cheers: Bob

Yes I have, I just haven´t uploaded new pics for a while because I thought that you´ve guys seen enough already :icon_smile_big:

Now is winter coming so cruising is ended for this year now  :bawling: Now I´m waiting next summer and better cruising weathers  :cheers: I´ve been thinking now, that will I do any modifications to it in this winter. Definitely aluminium waterpump I will buy and maybe new, more aggresive camshaft?  :scratchchin: Otherwise I think I just polish it and fix some minor things.

Charger´69

... Always when I think I don´t do nothing to car, I found something interesting what could be done  :rofl: Have anybody any experience about these MSD Atomic EFi systems? Seems pretty interesting and very simple fuel injection system  :scratchchin:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-2900/

Charger´69

Still waiting for summer, here one pic taken week ago when I drove it out from garage to get oxygen  :cheers:

Charger´69

Now roads are dry and some of those marked with my Charger´s rear tires.........  :2thumbs: Fuck yeah, great season is starting now when this hell machine is on the road again  :drool5:

Charger´69

Hello to all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!  :vert:

Long time since last update. Charger is still going very strong and is in better condition every year  :2thumbs: Still enjoying that as much than 4 years ago when I bought it. I haven´t had to do fix anything during last two years. But now I´ve been thinking about to install 8-71 blower to it some day. Let´s see what happens if suitable blower kit comes available  :scratchchin:

Now I´m also 100% Mopar man, I just bought just new daily driver, Chrysler 300C 3.0 CRD SRT Design 2010. Really cool daily driver here in Finland! And why not in everywhere  ;) I was searching new Challenger, but oldest one of those costs something like $90000 still in Finland, so it is way too expensive right now. But I´m loving this 300C, reasonable cost 4 door muscle car also in here :yesnod: