News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restored a '69 Grille for a Fellow DC Member

Started by bill440rt, March 27, 2010, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Thought I'd post these pictures on here. SUPER-nice DC.com member here wanted me to restore his '69 grille for his General Lee (I'll leave him anonymous for now unless he wants to post here).

The grille was pretty nice to begin with. No broken fins, but it had a few cracks here & there. One of the stop tabs on the driver's headlight door was missing, so I fabbed one & bonded it in. All plastic repairs were performed with SEM rigid plastic repair material, then primed with SEM flexible primer surfacer.
The silver was painted first, using Ford/Motorcraft argent silver in a spray can. It's a little lighter than the original shade, but I've used it before with great success & after seeing my grilles he also wanted his a little lighter shade. Black was then done with DupliColor Semi-Gloss black.
All new hardware & trim was supplied, and he even had the grille support blasted & then powdercoated black.

I still have to install the hood latch & vacuum lines, but here is the overall finished product.
Enjoy!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

More...

2nd pic is the repaired stop tab.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Last few...

69*F5*SE

Bill, great work on the grille.   :2thumbs:   What did you use to fabricate the headlight door stop?  I have one missing also and would like to fix it.  

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

:scope: ........ :o ..that looks real nice  :drool5:   good work Bill  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Samson

68 CHARGER R/T

looks amazing bill . bill can you give me your  info or number  so i can send you the money soon for the two door  moldings .   thanks      rob  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on March 27, 2010, 11:04:16 AM
Bill, great work on the grille.   :2thumbs:   What did you use to fabricate the headlight door stop?  I have one missing also and would like to fix it.  

Thanks all!  :cheers:

F5, making the door stop is actually pretty easy. First, using some thin cardboard I made a template of the stop on other grille door (an old box from a 12-pk of soda works great for this). Folding the template the opposite way now makes a mirror image for the other side. I then transferred this to some sheetmetal, & cut it out with tin snips. I bent the tab up using a bench vise.
Now, to attach it. Holding the template on the grille door, I marked a small 1/8" hole in it where the remaining plastic was. I drilled a hole in the new metal tab, then marked another holed & drilled that in the grille door. The new tab was scuffed & cleaned to promote adhesion. I used some of the plastic repair material (you can also use bonding adhesive), placed the tab lining up the holes, & used a small pop-rivet to hold it together. Once dry, I sanded the remaining repair material & filled the rest with more plastic repair material. Sand this some more, apply some polyester glazing putty to fill any more imperfections, prime, & your done. Once installed, you will never see the little pop rivet. It turns out to be a nice, strong repair.
It's pretty easy, you'll have no problem.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on March 27, 2010, 11:59:05 AM
looks amazing bill . bill can you give me your  info or number  so i can send you the money soon for the two door  moldings .   thanks      rob  :2thumbs:

Hey, Rob!!  :wave:
PM sent.  :cheers:

Ryan

mine looks better  :nana:

just messin with ya. Looks great man
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

resq302

Very nice work Bill.  Of course, after seeing all the other stuff you have done, I would expect nothing less! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

TylerCharger69

Did that grille come with the headlamp bezels??  I thought only 68's had them since mine and a lot of other 69s ive seen dont

69*F5*SE

Quote from: bill440rt on March 27, 2010, 12:02:16 PM
Quote from: 69*F5*SE on March 27, 2010, 11:04:16 AM

Thanks all!  :cheers:

F5, making the door stop is actually pretty easy. First, using some thin cardboard I made a template of the stop on other grille door (an old box from a 12-pk of soda works great for this). Folding the template the opposite way now makes a mirror image for the other side. I then transferred this to some sheetmetal, & cut it out with tin snips. I bent the tab up using a bench vise.
Now, to attach it. Holding the template on the grille door, I marked a small 1/8" hole in it where the remaining plastic was. I drilled a hole in the new metal tab, then marked another holed & drilled that in the grille door. The new tab was scuffed & cleaned to promote adhesion. I used some of the plastic repair material (you can also use bonding adhesive), placed the tab lining up the holes, & used a small pop-rivet to hold it together. Once dry, I sanded the remaining repair material & filled the rest with more plastic repair material. Sand this some more, apply some polyester glazing putty to fill any more imperfections, prime, & your done. Once installed, you will never see the little pop rivet. It turns out to be a nice, strong repair.
It's pretty easy, you'll have no problem.  :2thumbs:

Bill, thanks for the information.

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 27, 2010, 08:49:42 PM
Nice job bro!    :cheers:

Thanks, Chris!  :bow:

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on March 27, 2010, 04:36:28 PM
Did that grille come with the headlamp bezels??  I thought only 68's had them since mine and a lot of other 69s ive seen dont

Tyler, you are correct. The bezels only came on '68's. The owner supplied them for this grille. I have them installed on my '69 grille also, I like them & feel it finishes it off.

A few "peeves" of mine. The repro hardware kits left a little to be desired. Many of the nuts & bolts are not 100% authentic or correct. Some kits were also incomplete, so I either had to raid my personal stash or re-use some of the old hardware in other areas. This was done in inconspicuous spots so they wouldn't be seen when the grille is installed in the car. Overall, they are not bad, but with the quality of repro parts nowadays they could have at least been complete.
The owner is truly a GREAT guy, he was pleased.  :cheers:

6d9 charger

Bill, Thanks again the grille  far exceeded my expectations . It was like christmas morning today , at 6 am i was in the garage started bolting it in !

It looks great , i will post some pics when i get a chance , again  A HUGE THANK YOU  to you .

7chargers

Thats why I love these cars so much, I just looked at that restored grill and I just keep saying hot damn.... The 2nd generation grills just look so mean!! Awsome work!! :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: 6d9 charger on March 28, 2010, 10:10:54 AM
Bill, Thanks again the grille  far exceeded my expectations . It was like christmas morning today , at 6 am i was in the garage started bolting it in !

It looks great , i will post some pics when i get a chance , again  A HUGE THANK YOU  to you .

Hey, Pete!  :wave:

I know that 6 am wake up call all to well, also!  :smilielol:
So glad to hear you are pleased, hope the installation went smoothly.

So.... how about posting some pics of the finished installation??  :scratchchin:
:popcrn:  :scope:

bucko81

Bill- How did the powder coating of the grille frame come out?  Did it look good?  Considering doing the same to my grille frame and actuator brackets.  what color of powder coat did they use on the frame?

6d9 charger

the frame was  coated with a semi gloss finish as well as the actuator brackets .  i am very happy with the powder coat , it looks clean and neat . :2thumbs:

bucko81

Good deal, was considering doing the same thing along with the bumper brackets.

bill440rt

Yes, the powder coating did look nice & neat. Seemed very durable & scratch resistant.

I've always painted mine, but that's just a matter of preference.