News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what are the loudest sounding mufflers?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, July 31, 2005, 08:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

i am wondering what are the loudest sounding mufflers? i want something a motorcycle loud,any ideaz?-MATT

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

Maybe he means the loudest, "street-legal" system available?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Silver R/T

street legal hmm well I know loudest would be Dynomax bullets but they wouldnt be street legal on 440 as it would be too loud
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bananabeast

I dont know about the loudest but flowmaster 40's sound good. sometimes my 318 sounds almost as good as a 383. Cant wait till I get the 440 in and let it rip .
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

ClassicStack

This is old technology but here it goe's. 12 inch glasspacks with headers. But I don't know if 12 inch glasspacks are street legal. I know 16's are. But 12's are pretty damn loud. Or you could run open pipe. This is what I used to do when I was a kid. Header's to exhaust cutouts with a cable to open them from the inside of car then from exhaust cutouts to 16 inch glasspacks when not running open pipe. Or you could do the above with Hemi muffler's or any muffler of you choice with the headers and exhaust cutouts. With open pipe it's loud enough to rattle window's, door's, hearing damage, knock dishes's of the shelf and get you car toed by the cops. IM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THE LAST SENTENCE! Last thing you want is hearing damage and you car toed away by the cop's.

If moderator's feel this is to much info please feel free to delete this post. Im just giving my personnel experience about what I used to do.

69bananabeast

im gonna have electrical exhaust cut outs behind the 440 :D and  in front of a flowmaster 40's with  X pipe . The other day I Started to pull the 318 and once I got the headers off and I started her up . A couple of the neighbors came out and thought something fell on me  :P
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

firefighter3931

Don't put flowbastards on the car unless you want to slow it down.   :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69bananabeast

well back in the day when i knew nothing about performance or being a mechanic I bought the car out of california and brought it here to texas. the exhaust dumped off to short . so I took it to a muffler shop and they did everything I dont know if it had flowmaster to begin with or not thats what i've always had.   Also does any one know how long a 440 can run open headers safely?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Runner

race bullets are nice and loud, nothing id want on a daily driver but they are loud

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

79JON

I have a mild built 318 with 2.25 full exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series.   I kept the manifolds on there to keep the exhaust leak from happening.   I also have a H pipe which gives it an extra rumble.  I swear my car sounds like a big block driving around and people always think its a 383, 440.  And they get shocked when I tell them its a 318  HAHA.

CFMopar

Dynomax ultra flows. Quiet untill you floor it. Plus its a straight through design not like flowbastards.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Mopared

Race bullets got my vote.  Saw a video of muscle car with them.  sounded like open headers.

my73charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 01, 2005, 11:32:02 AM
Don't put flowbastards on the car unless you want to slow it down.  :P

Ron

Whats up with that Ron?  I have flowmaster 40'2 and I love them.  They are a straight shot front to back muffler and they sound great.

MoparYoungGun

Flowmasters use chambers with baffles in them to absorb/reduce sound. The baffles restrict the flow of exhaust which inturn hurts your performance. The Dynomax Ultra-Flo uses a straight threw design with packing to absorb/reduce sound. The Dynomax's don't hurt your performance because there is nothing to restrict your exhaust flow. Personally, I will use Ultra-Flo's on my Charger.

CFMopar

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on August 02, 2005, 10:56:16 AM
Flowmasters use chambers with baffles in them to absorb/reduce sound. The baffles restrict the flow of exhaust which inturn hurts your performance. The Dynomax Ultra-Flo uses a straight threw design with packing to absorb/reduce sound. The Dynomax's don't hurt your performance because there is nothing to restrict your exhaust flow. Personally, I will use Ultra-Flo's on my Charger.
:iagree:

68charger

My dad owned a 68 charger with boat exausts that came out in front of the tires. I havent heard that before but he said it was sweet.

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on August 02, 2005, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 01, 2005, 11:32:02 AM
Don't put flowbastards on the car unless you want to slow it down.   :P

Ron

Whats up with that Ron?   I have flowmaster 40'2 and I love them.   They are a straight shot front to back muffler and they sound great.

Actually, flowmasters are quite restrictive. If you define sound as a measure of performance then maybe the flows are worthwhile but only if you want that type of sound....personally the resonating drone is quite annoying....my opinion of course.

How restrictive are they....a member on this board dropped 6-7 tenths in et by taking off his "fflowmaster" exhaust system. :P  That's not the first time i've seen that happen either. :flame: I also know guys who run full exhaust systems on their cars and run faster than on open headers. These are x-pipe/ultraflow combos with tailpipes.....the full deal. These aren't slow cars either....630hp and mid 10's at 128mph....with the "right" exhaust system in place.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on August 03, 2005, 04:40:38 PM
Thanks for the insight.  

Here's a flow chart comparing dynomax ultraflows to some of the other popular mufflers out there in the marketplace.

http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm

Ron

steves66

Which one of these mufflers is louder, the Dynamax Ultra Flows or the the Flow Masters 40's?

CFMopar

probley the flow bastards but if you dont care bout going fast put them on then   ;D

steves66

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on August 04, 2005, 03:04:50 PM
probley the flow bastards but if you dont care bout going fast put them on then     ;D

Don't hold anything back, say what you really mean ;D :icon_smile_big: I plan on the Dynamax Ultra Flows myself. I have no interest in slowing my car down. ;)

CFMopar

CB

The American Thunder 40 Series is the most aggressive sounding street and strip muffler in Flowmaster's product line. The 40 Series will generate extreme interior resonance within the vehicle. If you want to really hear your exhaust system inside as well as outside your vehicle the 40 Series is for you.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_orig.html
1968 Dodge Coronet 500