News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Federal steering pump rebuild advice needed

Started by bull, April 18, 2010, 09:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

First off, how do you remove/install the pulley? Other than that I would think there's just a series of o-rings to replace isn't there? I'm not finding much useful information in the service manual. Looks like it's geared more toward the Saginaw pump from what I can tell.

68blue

:popcrn:

Bought chrome pulleys for everything but this, was reluctant to start prying on the pully to get it off and did not see repos.

Nacho-RT74

if is similar to the saginaw, is such a PIECE OF CAKE to service... only piece hard to replace is the shaft bushing, rest is extremelly easy. No need for speciall tools either.

I have been REALLY STUPID sending mine to rebuild allong these past years!!!! and cheated. The ring where rotor and vanes run, NEVER has been replaced... and I was wondering why it toook short times to fix them again, and again!!!

pulley... it looks simply a small pulley puller and done
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

It seems as if there's a nut on the front that needs to come off first; a 1 1/4" socket fits on it but it ain't budging so maybe you do just pull it. If so what part of the pulley do you pull on?

bull

Found this on moparts just now. Looks like it's pressed on.

Belgium R/T -68

If you have the type with the nut you have to remove that one first and then it shouldn't be any problem to remove the pulley.
If you have to use a puller the threaded shaft is the spot to press on after the nut is off. If the nut is stucked you have to find a way to lock the pulley so you can use your big wrench to loosen it.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bull

I'm not sure what's going on yet. It looks like a nut with rounded corners and a socket fits it but I don't think it is a nut. :shruggy:

Chatt69chgr

I've called the folks at Bouchillon Performance in the past about things like this and they have answered all my questions.  I think they will have an answer for you since they make reproduction pulleys and mounts for Mopar PS Pumps.  They are located in South Carolina. 

bull

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 18, 2010, 09:21:43 PM
I've called the folks at Bouchillon Performance in the past about things like this and they have answered all my questions.  I think they will have an answer for you since they make reproduction pulleys and mounts for Mopar PS Pumps.  They are located in South Carolina. 

Thanks. I see they do list the Federal pulley and say it's a press on.

"BPE9270
Original Hemi Federal Power Steering Pump Pulley - Press Fit
Fits: 1968-1971 Hemi Power Steering Pumps w/Press On Pulley
Price: $203.00"

:o

bull

I borrowed a puller today from Autozone. It's a two piece collar with lock ring similar to the one shown in the service manual. Although the front of the pulley looks like a nut and acts like a nut, it is NOT a nut. I wonder if it's just a practical joke done by Chrysler engineers. :shruggy:

Anyway, here's what you need: