News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Started by CDN72SE, May 26, 2010, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

CDN72SE

Smoothing out all those bumps created by stuff banging around in the trunk (well further toward the rear):

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

From my latest visit this past Saturday, some random pictures.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Well the car had been tucked away since June...

Back in the shop now, ready for putty and high build primer.  :2thumbs:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Went by this past weekend, the guys are blocking the high build primer to 220 to find and remove any high and low spots. Pics sent to me by the shop:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Here's a few throwback pics:

1973/74 dual exhaust cut-out rear valance.
Sagging springs + air shocks = high rear end.
Exhaust ends under the middle of the car.

Trying the red circle caps + body colour rims.
Year One fiberglass front spoiler missing piece due to low flying seagull near the highway.

Western Turbines that came on the car when I bought it:
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

Good to see progress, but sad to see (like mine) that summer and "buffing cars for shows" got in the way of working on our cars. Was hoping to start the reassembly on mine this month.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

CDN72SE

Your car is moving along nicely though, looks like mine is a step behind yours. Looking forward to watching your progress on the suspension rebuild and dash.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Just throwing some more pics that I took at the shop up.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Well one of my biggest restoration fears came true, got a text (not a phone call) from the owner of the resto shop saying he has terrible news. He says his fight to maintain overhead at the shop was lost after his horrific winter (lack of business) and he has been locked out of the shop. I need to remove my car this Saturday between 11am - 2pm. Says he is re-opening May 1st and the car is not in paint.

My wife was suspicious of him from the beginning, I had a few doubts but saw progress, then things seemed to slow down, wanting money in advance, no more update photos and what I realize now were mounting excuses as to why the car was not painted. Of course he is not answering my calls and I don't know if the car is assembled or in pieces. Guess I will find out in two days. Needless to say I am sick to my stomach.

So that's my update and wish me luck!
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

I'm sick to my stomach for you!  :eek2:

Make a list of everything you can remember that you took to the shop. or what would have been removed during disassembly. It will help make sure you collect, hopefully, every part of your car.

GOOD LUCK!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

CDN72SE

Thank you much appreciated, I was watching how your resto was going and compared it to how mine had slowed down and was wondering.
Good idea on the list, I have started compiling it, at least I have been in communication with the owner now, looks like the hood and trunk need to be installed by me I guess. But the rest is together, at this point I don't want to hear his stories just want to get it home.
1972 Charger SE

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

birdsandbees

Quote from: tan top on March 09, 2017, 04:27:10 PM
:coolgleamA: looking good  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

It is or was, but you guys are missing the fact that he just got screwed !!  :-\
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Bob

I hope everything works out for you. It certainly is gut wrenching.

VegasCharger

CDN72SE sorry to hear that.  :brickwall:

Anytime someone has work done on a car that's on going and lengthy in progress the shop is prone to life events happening (usually bad) especially if the restoration is done by a less staffed business. Not saying yours was but it does happen. I fear the time I will have to take my car in for any reason. It would be something that would only take a day to fix and I would be on scene the whole time.

Here's to good luck on retrieving all of your parts and getting your Charger back home safely. :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Sucks, but hopefully it will end in in better hands next.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

Sad to hear this happened. :rotz:  At least you can learn from your experience and apply it towards the next body shop and get a better service.

brad mcintyre

good luck if it is in pieces look through that shop good looking for parts . hope your dealing with someone who ran out of money not a scamer

timmycharger

Sorry to hear this man  ::)  Hope you find a solution and get that project back on track!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

CDN72SE

Quote from: Bob on March 09, 2017, 05:49:22 PM
I hope everything works out for you. It certainly is gut wrenching.

Thanks Bob.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Thank you everyone, nice to hear from people who understand. Looks like he ran out of money and may also be a bit of a scammer.
I have learned that you need to keep engaged with them, drop by the shop if you can, call/text. Take an interest and don't just throw money at them.
Ask for pictures/progress, be informed. I think what helped me is that I know my car and I sound informed what speaking with them, show them what you know.
Luckily forums and magazines have helped me over the last few decades with proper terms and a pretty good understanding of the processess.
Others lost tens of thousands of dollars at this place and are out for his head.

Hopefully when I get there Saturday the car is as good as it looked the last time I saw it. I'm having it transported to the guy's former employer for them to finish the resto.

1972 Charger SE