News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee "Correctness" Questions

Started by Carlwalski, December 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlwalski

Just wondering about the General Lee, could someone please answer these questions:

1 - Is the interior suppose to be Tan or Black? I heard they used both, if so, what was used-when? eg: Tan in the early series or black?
2 - What is the correct nudge/push bar, small or the wide one? If it was used early, with what color interior.
3 - Did any General Lees have "R/T" badges on the headlight grille cover?
4 - The vector wheels are 10 spoke, correct? Where could I get 15x8" and 15x7" Vectors? (eBay I'm guessing)
5 - What engine was the TV series? I know they used 318's for jumping etc but what was the General Lee portrayed as? 383 or 440?
6 - Hugger Orange or HEMI orange paint? Or something else or any?

What I really need is someone who knows the DOH stuff to put something like:

Early series: Black interior, wide push bar, 10 spoke vectors, R/T emblem on grille etc.
Later series: Tan interior, small push bar, 10 spoke vectors, Charger emblem on grille etc.

Thanks for any help.   :)

The one below is set up exactly how I'd want mine.
I know the white tyre writing isn't suppose to show but I like it, looks bare without it. Love the R/T emblem, gotta have it!!
  :icon_smile_cool:

joedotts

i was under the impression that the interior was always supposed to be tan, but other colors im sure popped up. i can definatly remember one episode where it was black, but the car with the black was not the real general, the real one was stolen by robbers or something... so yeah, its supposed to be tan. ive seen r/t badges on the chargers in the show, but im not sure what its supposed to be. in the movie there we no r/t badges... even though i think thats what it should be... that r/t badge just looks so good. i heard it was hugger orange

Carlwalski

Thanks for your input joedotts.  :icon_smile_wink:

Anyone else agree or disagree?  ???

PURTBOY

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM

Just wondering about the General Lee, could someone please answer these questions:

1 - Is the interior suppose to be Tan or Black? I heard they used both, if so, what was used-when? eg: Tan in the early series or black?
2 - What is the correct nudge/push bar, small or the wide one? If it was used early, with what color interior.
3 - Did any General Lees have "R/T" badges on the headlight grille cover?
4 - The vector wheels are 10 spoke, correct? Where could I get 15x8" and 15x7" Vectors? (eBay I'm guessing)
5 - What engine was the TV series? I know they used 318's for jumping etc but what was the General Lee portrayed as? 383 or 440?
6 - Hugger Orange or HEMI orange paint? Or something else or any?

What I really need is someone who knows the DOH stuff to put something like:

Early series: Black interior, wide push bar, 10 spoke vectors, R/T emblem on grille etc.
Later series: Tan interior, small push bar, 10 spoke vectors, Charger emblem on grille etc.

Thanks for any help.   :)

The one below is set up exactly how I'd want mine.
I know the white tyre writing isn't suppose to show but I like it, looks bare without it. Love the R/T emblem, gotta have it!!
  :icon_smile_cool:

INTERIOR IS SUPPISED TO BE TAN, AND MOST CARS WERE PAINTED TO MATCH! HOWEVER BLACK WAS USED AS WELL BUT USUALLY PAINTED!
AS FAR AS PUSHBARS THE FIRST GEORGIA EPISODES  AND SOME OTHERS AFTER THEY WENT TO HOLLYWOOD, USED THE SMALL PUSHBAR WITH THE TAN INTERIOR, LATER THEY USED THE WIDE PUSHBARS WITH TAN INTERIOR.
SOME GRILLS CAN BE CAUGHT WITH THE R/T BADGE ON THE HEADLIGHT DOOR, BUT 9 TIMES OUT OF TEN IT IS PAINTED OVER BLACK!
THE 10 FIN VECTORS ARE FOUND AT SWAP MEETS, AND EBAY, HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY
AS FAR AS MOTORS THE GENERAL IS PORTRAYED USING THE 440/727 AUTO  COMBO, HOWEVER 318'S, AND 383'S WERE USED JUS AS MUCH
AS FAR AS PAINT IT IS DEFINATLEY PUT OUT THAT THE CAR BUILDERS USED 75' CORVETTE FLAME RED, AND ALSO AMC BIG BAD ORANGE. NOW PEOPLE HAVE GONE WITH HEMI ORANGE WICH HAS BEEN ARGUED WAS USED, AND ALSO HUGGER ORANGE ON THEIR REPLICAS!!!!

IF YA HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, FEEL FRRE TO VISIT THE MEASSAGE BOARD AT WWW.CGLFC.COM
WE ARA ALL A BUNCH OF DUKES FANATICS THERE. I HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Carlwalski

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PURTBOY on December 15, 2005, 10:07:06 AM
AS FAR AS MOTORS THE GENERAL IS PORTRAYED USING THE 440/727 AUTO   COMBO,
I've been watching a bunch of DOH episodes lately & I've noticed that although they never show anything other than an automatic in the car, quite often you can hear them banging gears while driving...the kind of sound only a 4-speed could make.
I assume the sound was canned & they just kept using it over & over.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Carlwalski

Cheers CF.

By the sounds of things there is no wrong General Lee replicas. The cars basically had anything at one stage or another.  :icon_smile_wink:

98neongirl

The General Lee is supposed to be Hemi Orange, with a tan interior, 440/auto. The color is probably the most discussed, many people think it is Chevy Huggar Orange, it is actually a shade or two off. Hemi orange has very very small metallic pigment, I have seen two original General Lees from the show and they were painted with Hemi Orange. The numbers and flag were painted on, they were not decals.   They were both 440/auto Cars as well. The concept of the General Lee didn't call for it to be an R/T, and both pushbars were used. I have heard that for the larger jumps, some cars were equipped with Hemis (not from factory) and they had to counterbalance the front end weight with cement in the trunk. For all of your questions, you should contact Aneesh Sehgal from the Official Dukes of Hazzard Fan Club. He has TONS of info on the show!
98neongirl

Chargen69

The ones that had black interiors were mostly used in the driving scenes, because when they shot those cars from far away, the interior looked black even if it wasnt.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Carlwalski

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 15, 2005, 04:49:21 PM
http://www.buildagenerallee.com/

http://209.43.123.28/

http://www.cglfc.com/

A Google search does wonders

Yes I realise this, but which site is correct?

Being a CHARGER board I thought this would be a good place to get one-to-one help.

I have already been to the places you've linked. Thanks.

Love the sarcasm...... ::)

PURTBOY

ALL THE MAJOR GENERAL LEE BUBBAS HANG OUT ON WWW.CGLFC.COM
AS FOR THE PAINT ISSUE IT WAS RUMORED HEMI ORANGE WAS USED AND MATCHED SEVERAL REAL ONES, HOWEVER TOM SARAMENTO WHO WAS THE 2ND UNIT MECHANIC ON THE SERIES STATED THE COLOR USED WAS 75 CORVETTE FLAME RED, AND OTHERS HAD MENTIONED THE USE OF BIG BAD ORANGE!!! NOW I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHOS GENERAL IS HEMI ORANGE AND IT LOOKS GOOD. THE PAINT HAS ALWAYS STIRRED A DEBATE BUT WHY NOT LISTEN TO THE ACTUAL MEN WHO BUILT THE CARS!!!! :yesnod:

Blown70

I say build and make the car the way you want it color interior etc.  But hey that is just me.

Tom

Carlwalski

Thanks lads, that CGLFC site is great!  :yesnod:

THE COLONEL

There really is no correct General Lee.   What Purtboy has said is prettyy much right on the money.   The interior is supposed to be Tan, but they did use black every now and then.   Most of the interiors were spray painted or dyed.   The Push bar switched from the smaller to the larger some where in season 3 I think.   They changed that due to the damage it would cause to the grille.   They did alot of swaping grilles from car to car, and the larger push bars worked better.   The smaller bars would smash the center "I" piece.   They also used all kind of engines from the 318's to the 440's.   The stoiry line is a 440 engine.   So many things varied on these cars that you really can't have a correct General Lee.   As far as the paint, I guess it is what ever you like, because the general public won't know different shades in color unless you have a few General Lee's parked beside one another.   But for General Lee info www.cglfc.com is the place to go. ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Carlwalski

Thanks THE COLONEL.  :icon_smile_wink: Love the car, reminds me of Dirty Larry Crazy Marys car.  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
Good info, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Why I'm asking is there is a General Lee down here in New Zealand 383/727 in good condition needing a few things done.
There are only 2 or 3 General Lees in New Zealand and this one is one of the only ones driving around.

It has black interior, no CB and no push bar. I myself like the look of the wide push bar, fits the car better.  :)

I've attached a photo of the car for sale, remember there are hardly any MoPars down this way.
If I were in the states I don't know if I would buy a GL because there are a few.....

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Andrew

May be a bit late in the thread but these are from episode 2? (the one where swamp molly gets them to drive that truch which they think is full of shine but is actually full of guns)and they have just blown up one of Roscoes roadblocks.

Carlwalski

Quote from: Andrew on December 15, 2005, 05:57:40 PM
May be a bit late in the thread but these are from episode 2? (the one where swamp molly gets them to drive that truch which they think is full of shine but is actually full of guns)and they have just blown up one of Roscoes roadblocks.

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??  ??? Don't follow you Andrew.  :)

THE COLONEL

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:55:38 PM

Thanks THE COLONEL.   :icon_smile_wink: Love the car, reminds me of Dirty Larry Crazy Marys car.   :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
Good info, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Why I'm asking is there is a General Lee down here in New Zealand 383/727 in good condition needing a few things done.
There are only 2 or 3 General Lees in New Zealand and this one is one of the only ones driving around.

It has black interior, no CB and no push bar. I myself like the look of the wide push bar, fits the car better.   :)

I've attached a photo of the car for sale, remember there are hardly any MoPars down this way.
If I were in the states I don't know if I would buy a GL because there are a few.....

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

All I have to say, is what are you waiting for?  That looks good! :yesnod:

You know, even decals changed over the years too, as did the General Lee Text on the roof line, but that one looks good to me.

'CUDA360

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:59:15 PM

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??   ??? Don't follow you Andrew.   :)

Drew ??

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 360cuda on December 15, 2005, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:59:15 PM

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??   ??? Don't follow you Andrew.   :)

Drew ??

I see his pics, you guys give your monitors a good whack. :icon_smile_big:

Hey NZ, if that GL's for sale where you're at...GO SNAG IT! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

'CUDA360

Khyron

HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY

Is this true????

Don’t mess with me? Is there a confirmation on this?!?!?!??!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PURTBOY

Quote from: Khyron on December 15, 2005, 08:12:11 PM
HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY

Is this true????

Don’t mess with me? Is there a confirmation on this?!?!?!??!

AS OF NOW IT IS SET FOR THEM TO BE RELEASED SOMETIME AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. THEY SHOWED THE NEW WHEEL AT THE SEMA CONVENTION, AND THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY STAMPED ON THE BACK WITH DOH 01 GL, AND THEY LOOK AWESOME. HOWEVER THE TOP LIP HAS BEEN DONE AWAY WITH AND IS NOW SMOOTH. THEY LOOK AWESOME.

Carlwalski

Thanks for the info lads. The General Lee will be getting inspected by my resto guy. It's 9-hour driver away.
It has no WOF or REG and needs some minor frame rail repair and some quarter/fender work done to get a VIN.

All up the guy reckons it will take between $5,000-$10,000 of work to get it looking and feeling good.
New paint, interior etc, 85% complete resto that needs finishing.

I am looking into it and if my retso guys says it's a solid ride and what not I will bid on it, hard.  :)

Cheers,
Carl

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 360cuda on December 15, 2005, 07:34:25 PM
Thanks  CF

That worked perfect
Always glad to help. :smilielol:

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 10:00:55 PM
It has no WOF or REG and needs some minor frame rail repair and some quarter/fender work done to get a VIN.
Get a VIN? Like a different VIN than the original?

Carlwalski

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 15, 2005, 10:21:57 PM
Get a VIN? Like a different VIN than the original?

Yip, when cars come into New Zealand they need to register their VIN.
When this Charger came in it didn't get it's VIN registered because it wasn't road legal, needed some work done before it could pass inspection.

The guy who is selling says there is work to be done to get a WOF, once the frame work is checked and fixed (only minor) then and only then can my resto team take it to an Land Transit Association (LTSA) to get a VIN.
The LTSA can knock the car back if panel work is bad or they can see bubbles coming through etc, they "can" tell you to strip that fender or the front guards or what ever to bare metal and show them your repair work.

It is only because this car is an import, all American, European, Japanese etc have to go through this system.
If they are perfect cars when they come in, like road worthy and in good shape they will get a VIN on the wharf and the car is legal from that point on. Sooooooo, I need to buy it, repair it a little then get it VINned, WOF and registered and I'm good to go!!!

But first I have to win the dang auction!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

By the way, here is a link to the auction site, it's Trade-Me, New Zealands "eBay".

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42718853

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 15, 2005, 04:49:21 PM
http://www.buildagenerallee.com/

http://209.43.123.28/

http://www.cglfc.com/

A Google search does wonders

Yes I realise this, but which site is correct?

Being a CHARGER board I thought this would be a good place to get one-to-one help.

I have already been to the places you've linked. Thanks.

Love the sarcasm...... ::)

Sarcasm!?!?....where??

Troy, get the detector out ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4cruzin

That doesn't look too bad NZ . . . have you even bid yet??  WOuld be cool to add that to your stable with the challenger!!  At least they called it a replica and not a clone!  People just don't get it that there is no such thing as a true clone!  Hope it works out for ya!!   :icon_smile_big:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Carlwalski

Quote from: 4cruzin on December 16, 2005, 10:34:41 AM
That doesn't look too bad NZ . . . have you even bid yet??   WOuld be cool to add that to your stable with the challenger!!   At least they called it a replica and not a clone!   People just don't get it that there is no such thing as a true clone!   Hope it works out for ya!!     :icon_smile_big:

Thanks 4C, good to see you hear!!  :)

Bid, nope, not yet. I'll wait until a few hours to go.
I worked out the reserve: $28,300 + 15% = $32,500 or $32,000.  :icon_smile_big:

Very good considering there are only 2 or 3 General lees in New Zealand (if that).

Cheers,
NZ440R/T

THE COLONEL

Well, definatly let us know how the inspection goes. :yesnod:

Carlwalski

Quote from: THE COLONEL on December 16, 2005, 05:21:42 PM
Well, definatly let us know how the inspection goes. :yesnod:

Will do mate!! This time next week I should know if I have a General Lee or not.  :laugh:
I'm excitied to the point that I don't want to hold my breath.  :)

What ever happens, happens...the last 3 MoPars I've looked into have not worked out.  :'(
Hopefully this time it does.....

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Carlwalski

Thought I better update:

Seller pulled the plug on the auction.  :-[ He was selling it to fund his next MoPar but that fell through so he thought to himself that he didn't really need to sell it. Took it off before reserve was met, luckily or else he would have had to sell.

He said his wife and kids were begging him to keep it, so he did.

Never mind, my car hunting is now 0 and 4.  :icon_smile_angry:
I'm glade he kept it, nothing worse than taking someones pride and joy away.

There'll be something else.  :)

Cheers,
NZ440R/T

FastbackJon

Don't forget to change the steering wheel and driver's door mirror every time you drive the car! I also remember an episode where they had to chase some girls who were driving multi colored jeeps, so they put huge 4x4 wheels and tires on the general. There was another episode too where they showed it without the roll cage, possibly the episode where they meet Cale Yarborough, but before they clone the other General Lees.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Andrew

Carlwalski

Yip, but $25,000 for a project Charger is absolutely ridiculous!  :o :icon_smile_dead:
I'll just search eBay every now and then and wait for something to pop in New Zealand that's right for me.  :)

Mike DC

Here's my orange paint color pic:  
(we use this to end all the comparison discussions over at the CGLFC)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the mouths of the GL builders:

Don Schisler (built the first-season Georgia GLs):
"Corvette Flame Red"

Andre & Renaurd Valuzet (built GLs from season 2 until mid-season-4):
They can't remember what color they used.

Rich Sephton (built all the GLs from 1982-85, repaired them throughout the series):
"Corvette Flame Red"

Tom Sarmento (Maintained/repaired GLs throughout the series):  
"Corvette Flame Red"

New 2005 movie GLs:
AMC Big Bad Orange

Charger_Fan

Wow, lookie who's here! :o Welcome aboard Mike! :smilielol:

I figured one of these days a good Gen Lee thread would end up sucking you into the vortex. :D

Mike DC

Hey man!   :icon_smile_cool:

Yeah, it's me again.  I've been meaning to get back into this board sooner or later once the server issues settled back down.

JimShine

Mike, did you ever find out the actual paint name for the Reunion cars? For the first time I laid my paint chip on my car and I have to admit, it is DAMN close to my 1975 Corvette Flame red.

Charger_Fan

Sorry Mike, I clicked too fast...I meant this -> :wave: instead of this -> :smilielol:

:icon_smile_big:

Troy

Hey Mike! :wave: Glad to see you finally made it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 17, 2005, 03:24:28 AM

Thought I better update:

Seller pulled the plug on the auction.   :-[ He was selling it to fund his next MoPar but that fell through so he thought to himself that he didn't really need to sell it. Took it off before reserve was met, luckily or else he would have had to sell.

He said his wife and kids were begging him to keep it, so he did.

Never mind, my car hunting is now 0 and 4.   :icon_smile_angry:
I'm glade he kept it, nothing worse than taking someones pride and joy away.

There'll be something else.   :)

Cheers,
NZ440R/T

Sorry to hear about the deal, but keep searching, It's out there.  It took me about 2.5 years to finally find The Colonel.

Carlwalski

Quote from: THE COLONEL on December 17, 2005, 08:35:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the deal, but keep searching, It's out there.   It took me about 2.5 years to finally find The Colonel.

Thanks mate. I will continue to search.........

The 2 and a 1/2 years for your Colonel was well well worth it mate, fantastic Charger.  :)

THE COLONEL

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 17, 2005, 09:15:39 PM
Quote from: THE COLONEL on December 17, 2005, 08:35:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the deal, but keep searching, It's out there.   It took me about 2.5 years to finally find The Colonel.

Thanks mate. I will continue to search.........

The 2 and a 1/2 years for your Colonel was well well worth it mate, fantastic Charger.   :)

Thank you! :)

Mike DC

Reunion car color:

I once ran that paint color code # through the paint shop's stuff.  They said it was a modern fleet color called "TNT Orange" or something like that.  Anyway it was a modern color that wasn't from a normal car brand and they couldn't even make it in anything other than base/clear unrethane.

Don't take this as gospel, but I think Stuntman once said the Reunion Lees were just eyeball-mixed to match the surviving paint on the 1968 closeup car they had.  That may be the case, and the "TNT Orange" code reading might just be the closest shade to what they produced according to the computer-matching gizmo.

genlee1970

Just a little more info to muddy the waters a bit. There was an article in Mopar Collectors Guide in the July 01 issue called "How To Clone A General Lee" Seems some guy made an exact clone based on one of the surviving closeup cars owned by Wayne Wooten. According to that article, they tried to match the paint with a computer and came up with no known match, making it a custom color. They stated it was a low sheen paint made with filming in mind. They also stated that both close up cars had 383's even though the press info for the General indicated a 440. I guess you could say General Lee, the "character", had a 440 and General Lee, the "actor" ,had a 383. There was a whole host of other cool details mentioned in the article. A good read if you have access to it. I've seen alot of clones at car shows and none, my own included, have all aspects covered. To be honest, the general public doesn't know the difference. I just drive mine as much as I can (about 6500 miles a year) and have a blast. No other car gets so much attention and brings smiles to so many faces as the General. Y'all come back now, y'hear.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: genlee1970 on December 18, 2005, 06:39:29 PM
Just a little more info to muddy the waters a bit. There was an article in Mopar Collectors Guide in the July 01 issue called "How To Clone A General Lee" Seems some guy made an exact clone based on one of the surviving closeup cars owned by Wayne Wooten. According to that article, they tried to match the paint with a computer and came up with no known match, making it a custom color. They stated it was a low sheen paint made with filming in mind. They also stated that both close up cars had 383's even though the press info for the General indicated a 440. I guess you could say General Lee, the "character", had a 440 and General Lee, the "actor" ,had a 383. There was a whole host of other cool details mentioned in the article. A good read if you have access to it. I've seen alot of clones at car shows and none, my own included, have all aspects covered. To be honest, the general public doesn't know the difference. I just drive mine as much as I can (about 6500 miles a year) and have a blast. No other car gets so much attention and brings smiles to so many faces as the General. Y'all come back now, y'hear.

Were you in Chyrslers in Carlise too with your General?

Nevermind.  I got your PM. :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

Wayne Wooten's car has pretty faded & worn paint and the various panels don't even match each other.  The car was the "nice" one only in comparison to the other GLs and it actually still looks pretty scruffy compared to most street replicas.  It also sat outdoors for years in the SoCal sun after they were done shooting the series.

Here, lookit the doors versus the quarters & fenders:

I held a sample of "Corvette Flame Red" up to that car in person and I think it could have been that color they started with.  It was somewhere between that one and "Big Bad Orange."

Khyron

Quote from: PURTBOY on December 15, 2005, 08:30:17 PM

AS OF NOW IT IS SET FOR THEM TO BE RELEASED SOMETIME AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. THEY SHOWED THE NEW WHEEL AT THE SEMA CONVENTION, AND THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY STAMPED ON THE BACK WITH DOH 01 GL, AND THEY LOOK AWESOME. HOWEVER THE TOP LIP HAS BEEN DONE AWAY WITH AND IS NOW SMOOTH. THEY LOOK AWESOME.

:o :o :o

I think I need to clean myself!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo buying those!!!

What pisses me off Is i've finally saved up enough to buy and rebuild a 440 :(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

genlee1970

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 18, 2005, 08:22:35 PM
Wayne Wooten's car has pretty faded & worn paint and the various panels don't even match each other.   The car was the "nice" one only in comparison to the other GLs and it actually still looks pretty scruffy compared to most street replicas.   It also sat outdoors for years in the SoCal sun after they were done shooting the series.

Here, lookit the doors versus the quarters & fenders:

I held a sample of "Corvette Flame Red" up to that car in person and I think it could have been that color they started with.   It was somewhere between that one and "Big Bad Orange."

I guess the fading paint theory makes sense and since the guys who built them are saying it's the Vette color....seems like the way to go. I personally went with Huggar Orange. The Hemi Orange seemed a bit too red.
       Did you get to check out all the other details on Wayne's car? Like I said, the atricle mentioned a ton of little details specific to the close up cars that most people don't know about or don't care to replicate. As I mentioned, you go to shows and see all the Generals. Some have black interiors, some don't have the vinyl top trim moldings, some have no roll bar, orange engine compartment instead of black, some ar 68's or 70's, like mine. They're all slightly different.

Mike DC

The color issue has been so full of misconceptions, rumors, misprinted info, assumptions about musclecars . . . "Corvette Flame Red" doesn't match every surviving car & part, but it seems to be at least what they intended to be using for most of the series. 

And whatever color the Valuzets were using, it was still chosen to match Don Schisler's "Flame Red" cars.  And then when the WB crew took over the Valuzets' cars in late 1981, they interchanged some of the parts onto "Flame Red" cars again.  Whatever the Valuzets used, it wasn't very far off "Flame Red."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I was all over Wayne's car in Bristol.  Wayne is a hell of a nice guy who has helped me out a couple times.

Here's a funny thing not many people catch.  The drivers' door mirror has been moved forwards several inches so there's less chance of bumping it while climbing in/out of the window.  (The downside is that the vent window won't open with the mirror where it is now!):