News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee "Correctness" Questions

Started by Carlwalski, December 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlwalski

Just wondering about the General Lee, could someone please answer these questions:

1 - Is the interior suppose to be Tan or Black? I heard they used both, if so, what was used-when? eg: Tan in the early series or black?
2 - What is the correct nudge/push bar, small or the wide one? If it was used early, with what color interior.
3 - Did any General Lees have "R/T" badges on the headlight grille cover?
4 - The vector wheels are 10 spoke, correct? Where could I get 15x8" and 15x7" Vectors? (eBay I'm guessing)
5 - What engine was the TV series? I know they used 318's for jumping etc but what was the General Lee portrayed as? 383 or 440?
6 - Hugger Orange or HEMI orange paint? Or something else or any?

What I really need is someone who knows the DOH stuff to put something like:

Early series: Black interior, wide push bar, 10 spoke vectors, R/T emblem on grille etc.
Later series: Tan interior, small push bar, 10 spoke vectors, Charger emblem on grille etc.

Thanks for any help.   :)

The one below is set up exactly how I'd want mine.
I know the white tyre writing isn't suppose to show but I like it, looks bare without it. Love the R/T emblem, gotta have it!!
  :icon_smile_cool:

joedotts

i was under the impression that the interior was always supposed to be tan, but other colors im sure popped up. i can definatly remember one episode where it was black, but the car with the black was not the real general, the real one was stolen by robbers or something... so yeah, its supposed to be tan. ive seen r/t badges on the chargers in the show, but im not sure what its supposed to be. in the movie there we no r/t badges... even though i think thats what it should be... that r/t badge just looks so good. i heard it was hugger orange

Carlwalski

Thanks for your input joedotts.  :icon_smile_wink:

Anyone else agree or disagree?  ???

PURTBOY

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM

Just wondering about the General Lee, could someone please answer these questions:

1 - Is the interior suppose to be Tan or Black? I heard they used both, if so, what was used-when? eg: Tan in the early series or black?
2 - What is the correct nudge/push bar, small or the wide one? If it was used early, with what color interior.
3 - Did any General Lees have "R/T" badges on the headlight grille cover?
4 - The vector wheels are 10 spoke, correct? Where could I get 15x8" and 15x7" Vectors? (eBay I'm guessing)
5 - What engine was the TV series? I know they used 318's for jumping etc but what was the General Lee portrayed as? 383 or 440?
6 - Hugger Orange or HEMI orange paint? Or something else or any?

What I really need is someone who knows the DOH stuff to put something like:

Early series: Black interior, wide push bar, 10 spoke vectors, R/T emblem on grille etc.
Later series: Tan interior, small push bar, 10 spoke vectors, Charger emblem on grille etc.

Thanks for any help.   :)

The one below is set up exactly how I'd want mine.
I know the white tyre writing isn't suppose to show but I like it, looks bare without it. Love the R/T emblem, gotta have it!!
  :icon_smile_cool:

INTERIOR IS SUPPISED TO BE TAN, AND MOST CARS WERE PAINTED TO MATCH! HOWEVER BLACK WAS USED AS WELL BUT USUALLY PAINTED!
AS FAR AS PUSHBARS THE FIRST GEORGIA EPISODES  AND SOME OTHERS AFTER THEY WENT TO HOLLYWOOD, USED THE SMALL PUSHBAR WITH THE TAN INTERIOR, LATER THEY USED THE WIDE PUSHBARS WITH TAN INTERIOR.
SOME GRILLS CAN BE CAUGHT WITH THE R/T BADGE ON THE HEADLIGHT DOOR, BUT 9 TIMES OUT OF TEN IT IS PAINTED OVER BLACK!
THE 10 FIN VECTORS ARE FOUND AT SWAP MEETS, AND EBAY, HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY
AS FAR AS MOTORS THE GENERAL IS PORTRAYED USING THE 440/727 AUTO  COMBO, HOWEVER 318'S, AND 383'S WERE USED JUS AS MUCH
AS FAR AS PAINT IT IS DEFINATLEY PUT OUT THAT THE CAR BUILDERS USED 75' CORVETTE FLAME RED, AND ALSO AMC BIG BAD ORANGE. NOW PEOPLE HAVE GONE WITH HEMI ORANGE WICH HAS BEEN ARGUED WAS USED, AND ALSO HUGGER ORANGE ON THEIR REPLICAS!!!!

IF YA HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, FEEL FRRE TO VISIT THE MEASSAGE BOARD AT WWW.CGLFC.COM
WE ARA ALL A BUNCH OF DUKES FANATICS THERE. I HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Carlwalski

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PURTBOY on December 15, 2005, 10:07:06 AM
AS FAR AS MOTORS THE GENERAL IS PORTRAYED USING THE 440/727 AUTO   COMBO,
I've been watching a bunch of DOH episodes lately & I've noticed that although they never show anything other than an automatic in the car, quite often you can hear them banging gears while driving...the kind of sound only a 4-speed could make.
I assume the sound was canned & they just kept using it over & over.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Carlwalski

Cheers CF.

By the sounds of things there is no wrong General Lee replicas. The cars basically had anything at one stage or another.  :icon_smile_wink:

98neongirl

The General Lee is supposed to be Hemi Orange, with a tan interior, 440/auto. The color is probably the most discussed, many people think it is Chevy Huggar Orange, it is actually a shade or two off. Hemi orange has very very small metallic pigment, I have seen two original General Lees from the show and they were painted with Hemi Orange. The numbers and flag were painted on, they were not decals.   They were both 440/auto Cars as well. The concept of the General Lee didn't call for it to be an R/T, and both pushbars were used. I have heard that for the larger jumps, some cars were equipped with Hemis (not from factory) and they had to counterbalance the front end weight with cement in the trunk. For all of your questions, you should contact Aneesh Sehgal from the Official Dukes of Hazzard Fan Club. He has TONS of info on the show!
98neongirl

Chargen69

The ones that had black interiors were mostly used in the driving scenes, because when they shot those cars from far away, the interior looked black even if it wasnt.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Carlwalski

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 15, 2005, 04:49:21 PM
http://www.buildagenerallee.com/

http://209.43.123.28/

http://www.cglfc.com/

A Google search does wonders

Yes I realise this, but which site is correct?

Being a CHARGER board I thought this would be a good place to get one-to-one help.

I have already been to the places you've linked. Thanks.

Love the sarcasm...... ::)

PURTBOY

ALL THE MAJOR GENERAL LEE BUBBAS HANG OUT ON WWW.CGLFC.COM
AS FOR THE PAINT ISSUE IT WAS RUMORED HEMI ORANGE WAS USED AND MATCHED SEVERAL REAL ONES, HOWEVER TOM SARAMENTO WHO WAS THE 2ND UNIT MECHANIC ON THE SERIES STATED THE COLOR USED WAS 75 CORVETTE FLAME RED, AND OTHERS HAD MENTIONED THE USE OF BIG BAD ORANGE!!! NOW I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHOS GENERAL IS HEMI ORANGE AND IT LOOKS GOOD. THE PAINT HAS ALWAYS STIRRED A DEBATE BUT WHY NOT LISTEN TO THE ACTUAL MEN WHO BUILT THE CARS!!!! :yesnod:

Blown70

I say build and make the car the way you want it color interior etc.  But hey that is just me.

Tom

Carlwalski

Thanks lads, that CGLFC site is great!  :yesnod:

THE COLONEL

There really is no correct General Lee.   What Purtboy has said is prettyy much right on the money.   The interior is supposed to be Tan, but they did use black every now and then.   Most of the interiors were spray painted or dyed.   The Push bar switched from the smaller to the larger some where in season 3 I think.   They changed that due to the damage it would cause to the grille.   They did alot of swaping grilles from car to car, and the larger push bars worked better.   The smaller bars would smash the center "I" piece.   They also used all kind of engines from the 318's to the 440's.   The stoiry line is a 440 engine.   So many things varied on these cars that you really can't have a correct General Lee.   As far as the paint, I guess it is what ever you like, because the general public won't know different shades in color unless you have a few General Lee's parked beside one another.   But for General Lee info www.cglfc.com is the place to go. ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Carlwalski

Thanks THE COLONEL.  :icon_smile_wink: Love the car, reminds me of Dirty Larry Crazy Marys car.  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
Good info, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Why I'm asking is there is a General Lee down here in New Zealand 383/727 in good condition needing a few things done.
There are only 2 or 3 General Lees in New Zealand and this one is one of the only ones driving around.

It has black interior, no CB and no push bar. I myself like the look of the wide push bar, fits the car better.  :)

I've attached a photo of the car for sale, remember there are hardly any MoPars down this way.
If I were in the states I don't know if I would buy a GL because there are a few.....

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Andrew

May be a bit late in the thread but these are from episode 2? (the one where swamp molly gets them to drive that truch which they think is full of shine but is actually full of guns)and they have just blown up one of Roscoes roadblocks.

Carlwalski

Quote from: Andrew on December 15, 2005, 05:57:40 PM
May be a bit late in the thread but these are from episode 2? (the one where swamp molly gets them to drive that truch which they think is full of shine but is actually full of guns)and they have just blown up one of Roscoes roadblocks.

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??  ??? Don't follow you Andrew.  :)

THE COLONEL

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:55:38 PM

Thanks THE COLONEL.   :icon_smile_wink: Love the car, reminds me of Dirty Larry Crazy Marys car.   :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
Good info, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Why I'm asking is there is a General Lee down here in New Zealand 383/727 in good condition needing a few things done.
There are only 2 or 3 General Lees in New Zealand and this one is one of the only ones driving around.

It has black interior, no CB and no push bar. I myself like the look of the wide push bar, fits the car better.   :)

I've attached a photo of the car for sale, remember there are hardly any MoPars down this way.
If I were in the states I don't know if I would buy a GL because there are a few.....

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

All I have to say, is what are you waiting for?  That looks good! :yesnod:

You know, even decals changed over the years too, as did the General Lee Text on the roof line, but that one looks good to me.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

'CUDA360

Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:59:15 PM

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??   ??? Don't follow you Andrew.   :)

Drew ??

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 360cuda on December 15, 2005, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: NZ440R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:59:15 PM

Huh? Was there supposed to be a photo attached??   ??? Don't follow you Andrew.   :)

Drew ??

I see his pics, you guys give your monitors a good whack. :icon_smile_big:

Hey NZ, if that GL's for sale where you're at...GO SNAG IT! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

'CUDA360

Khyron

HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY

Is this true????

Don’t mess with me? Is there a confirmation on this?!?!?!??!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PURTBOY

Quote from: Khyron on December 15, 2005, 08:12:11 PM
HOWEVER AMERICAN RACING IS RE-RELEASING THE ANNIVERSARY SETS IN JANURARY

Is this true????

Don’t mess with me? Is there a confirmation on this?!?!?!??!

AS OF NOW IT IS SET FOR THEM TO BE RELEASED SOMETIME AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. THEY SHOWED THE NEW WHEEL AT THE SEMA CONVENTION, AND THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY STAMPED ON THE BACK WITH DOH 01 GL, AND THEY LOOK AWESOME. HOWEVER THE TOP LIP HAS BEEN DONE AWAY WITH AND IS NOW SMOOTH. THEY LOOK AWESOME.

Carlwalski

Thanks for the info lads. The General Lee will be getting inspected by my resto guy. It's 9-hour driver away.
It has no WOF or REG and needs some minor frame rail repair and some quarter/fender work done to get a VIN.

All up the guy reckons it will take between $5,000-$10,000 of work to get it looking and feeling good.
New paint, interior etc, 85% complete resto that needs finishing.

I am looking into it and if my retso guys says it's a solid ride and what not I will bid on it, hard.  :)

Cheers,
Carl