News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee "Correctness" Questions

Started by Carlwalski, December 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genlee1970

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 18, 2005, 08:22:35 PM
Wayne Wooten's car has pretty faded & worn paint and the various panels don't even match each other.   The car was the "nice" one only in comparison to the other GLs and it actually still looks pretty scruffy compared to most street replicas.   It also sat outdoors for years in the SoCal sun after they were done shooting the series.

Here, lookit the doors versus the quarters & fenders:

I held a sample of "Corvette Flame Red" up to that car in person and I think it could have been that color they started with.   It was somewhere between that one and "Big Bad Orange."

I guess the fading paint theory makes sense and since the guys who built them are saying it's the Vette color....seems like the way to go. I personally went with Huggar Orange. The Hemi Orange seemed a bit too red.
       Did you get to check out all the other details on Wayne's car? Like I said, the atricle mentioned a ton of little details specific to the close up cars that most people don't know about or don't care to replicate. As I mentioned, you go to shows and see all the Generals. Some have black interiors, some don't have the vinyl top trim moldings, some have no roll bar, orange engine compartment instead of black, some ar 68's or 70's, like mine. They're all slightly different.

Mike DC

The color issue has been so full of misconceptions, rumors, misprinted info, assumptions about musclecars . . . "Corvette Flame Red" doesn't match every surviving car & part, but it seems to be at least what they intended to be using for most of the series. 

And whatever color the Valuzets were using, it was still chosen to match Don Schisler's "Flame Red" cars.  And then when the WB crew took over the Valuzets' cars in late 1981, they interchanged some of the parts onto "Flame Red" cars again.  Whatever the Valuzets used, it wasn't very far off "Flame Red."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I was all over Wayne's car in Bristol.  Wayne is a hell of a nice guy who has helped me out a couple times.

Here's a funny thing not many people catch.  The drivers' door mirror has been moved forwards several inches so there's less chance of bumping it while climbing in/out of the window.  (The downside is that the vent window won't open with the mirror where it is now!):