News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HID headlights

Started by 68charger440R/T, July 19, 2010, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440R/T

Just put them in, what do you guys think?
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

more
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

and more
1 of 33,514

sixty8charger

i think they look great! love the brightness!  :icon_smile_cool:
Jayson

68charger440R/T

Thanks, they really brighten up the road. ;)
1 of 33,514

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks great.  :2thumbs: I did the same with mine a while back, one of the best upgrades you can make. My old headlights could barely light up 10 feet in front of me, with the xenons I can see everything.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Rolling_Thunder

Yep - I have mine wired up - just need to get the car running and I should be able to actually see how well they light up...       :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

What kit did you use?  Easy to "hide"?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger2fast4u

how was the install was it a plug n play or did you do some wiring? they are a good upgrade from stock.

68charger440R/T

I used a kit by the ''hid factory'' but i had to buy a ''Navigator'' h3 5 1/2'' truck driving light kit and take all the plastic off because i didn't want to mess with the glass bulbs. Then i got a H3 shorty hid kit for $60 and it clamped right in, no wire cutting at all the prongs slid right in to the old plugs. I highly recommend every one do this cause it already saved me from hitting a few deer i wouldn't be able to see with the old ones. :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

HITMAN 149

$$$$$$$??????? lol
just out of curiosity if ya don't mind??
:2thumbs:
loooks great!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

68charger440R/T

1 of 33,514

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

68charger440R/T

Well you get the hid kit alot cheaper if you go to there store it was like $60 and i think you can put them in the old bulbs if you make the hole a little bigger.
1 of 33,514

TexasStroker

Nice.  Anything that makes driving the car easier or safer is a plus.  The mod is hidden in the daytime and making the road and yourself more visible at night is a definite plus.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

klutch

Thanks for sharing this, great upgrade for our cars.

By the way looks killer on your car!  :2thumbs:
(Insert something clever here)

68charger440R/T

1 of 33,514

69RT3X9

WOW!  Love the looks of the your ride and the HID headlights are great!   :drool5:  My 69 Charger R/T headlights are so dim and yellow looking that a couple of flashlights taped to my hood would probably be brighter!  To temporarily solve the problem, I avoid driving at night!

Would you mind sharing some more specific details of how you put your kit together, some pics or details of how you installed it, and any recommendations or suggestions on anything you might have done differently?   Did you make any changes to your low beams or are you running the normal halogens there?  Are you still utilizing the stock headlight switch on the dash and the high-beam floor switch?

I tried to follow the information from your post on 7/20 regarding your references to the HID Factory and the "Navigator" and "H3 shorty" kits.  But, I am not finding them on the HID Factory website (www.hidfactory.com).

In short, I could really use the "HID Headlight Conversion for Dummies" version of your project since I have not found an "off-the-shelf" plug-n-play HID kit for 69 Chargers anywhere.  Your results are impressive!  Very Nice Work!   :2thumbs:

68charger440R/T

Sorry the web site isnt called hid factory its http://www.thehidfactory.com/#/home/ my mistake. ill try to make a step by step post today with pics. :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

klutch

Quote from: 69RT3X9 on July 22, 2010, 10:27:21 AM
WOW!  Love the looks of the your ride and the HID headlights are great!   :drool5:  My 69 Charger R/T headlights are so dim and yellow looking that a couple of flashlights taped to my hood would probably be brighter!  To temporarily solve the problem, I avoid driving at night!

Would you mind sharing some more specific details of how you put your kit together, some pics or details of how you installed it, and any recommendations or suggestions on anything you might have done differently?   Did you make any changes to your low beams or are you running the normal halogens there?  Are you still utilizing the stock headlight switch on the dash and the high-beam floor switch?

I tried to follow the information from your post on 7/20 regarding your references to the HID Factory and the "Navigator" and "H3 shorty" kits.  But, I am not finding them on the HID Factory website (www.hidfactory.com).

In short, I could really use the "HID Headlight Conversion for Dummies" version of your project since I have not found an "off-the-shelf" plug-n-play HID kit for 69 Chargers anywhere.  Your results are impressive!  Very Nice Work!   :2thumbs:

Agreed, we all want to know man.  :yesnod:
(Insert something clever here)

68charger440R/T

Ok i got all the pic now i just need to figure out how to post them in between my sentences  :scratchchin:
1 of 33,514

jpsycoboy5

What kind of amps are these bulbs drawing?? haha do you have the stock alternator or the upgraded one?
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

68charger440R/T

dang cant figure it out :flame: :flame: :flame:
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Ok im going to have to do this post by post so bear with me  :brickwall:

First i went to pepboys and picked up the ''Navigator'' 5 1/2 inch truck light kit.

Then i removed the plastic around the light.
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Next i took the bulb out. (that red stuff is silicone)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Ok now its time for the kit its a ''The hid factory'' kit, its a h3 shorty. (this is the low beam only kit)

(oops i forgot to mention its a 10,000K kit)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Now simply put the bulb in the housing
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Now for the ghetto part I wrapped the bulb in electrical tape so it would fit tight and not vibrate. :icon_smile_big:
1 of 33,514

WHITE AND RED 69

Nice.  :2thumbs:  Thats kind of what mine is (I used H4 bulbs instead of H3) but why did you get the 5 1/2 bulb housing instead of a 5 3/4? You wouldnt need the electrical tape with the 5 3/4.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

68charger440R/T

now they fit with out vibrating.

next i mounted the ballast next to the radiator using a bolt that was already there.

then i plugged the two prongs into the old light plug its important that you plug the red one in the bottom and the black on the left.
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 22, 2010, 04:41:27 PM
Nice.  :2thumbs:  Thats basically what mine is but why did you get the 5 1/2 bulb housing instead of a 5 3/4? You wouldnt need the electrical tape with the 5 3/4.

I couldnt find any 5 3/4 that fit so i just modded the 5 1/2 one but if any one finds a 5 3/4 one that works just use that.
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Then plug the other two plugs together and bam you got hid's :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

this might help with wiring.

If you have any questions feel free to ask ;)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on July 22, 2010, 03:22:33 PM
What kind of amps are these bulbs drawing?? haha do you have the stock alternator or the upgraded one?

Funny you ask, i have the old one and if i have the a/c on the right one flickers so when im idling i have to turn the air off lol
but i got a new alt. just have to take the time to put it on :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

Foreman72

what about high beams? could you do the same with thing but use different bulbs?
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

68charger440R/T

Yes it would be just as easy but once you have the low you don't need the high beams.
1 of 33,514

Foreman72

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 23, 2010, 12:15:59 PM
Yes it would be just as easy but once you have the low you don't need the high beams.

i see...so did you just disconnect them?
Eric "Foreman"

68charger440R/T

No they still work when you hit the high beams the hid's go out and the halogens come on.
1 of 33,514

CidE

Yep cool deal. How's the projection on those though? A correct HID setup should have a good beam cut off so you don't blind everyone on the road. Like so.

How's this setup look? Or should I buy welding goggles for on coming traffic?

HITMAN 149

got my navagator lights at pep boys today!! last set they had!!!  :coolgleamA:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

69rtse4spd

Must check into these, should work on a 70?. Thanks for the info & easy 1,2,3, steps for us challenge ones.  :2thumbs:.

Foreman72

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 23, 2010, 12:31:06 PM
No they still work when you hit the high beams the hid's go out and the halogens come on.

that sounds like a perfect set up! :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

HITMAN 149

hey i have the navagator headlamps from pep boys im not gonna use since now im selling the car :'( , so if anybody needed them and couldn't get them.. before i take them back to pep boys....
i think they were $39 bucks?!?!?
:cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

tan top

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 19, 2010, 07:16:33 PM
Just put them in, what do you guys think?

wow !! what a difference ,   :2thumbs:  , thinking about doing something along these lines now  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68charger440R/T

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on August 03, 2010, 04:55:04 PM
hey i have the navagator headlamps from pep boys im not gonna use since now im selling the car :'( , so if anybody needed them and couldn't get them.. before i take them back to pep boys....
i think they were $39 bucks?!?!?

Sorry to hear your selling your car Hitman i wish i had the money for it looks pretty sweet! :'(
1 of 33,514

HITMAN 149

yea... thanks bro... i wish i had the $$$ to keep her right now!!  :'(
i know EVERYBODY always says this but.... i will get another one in a couple of yrs when im a lil more financially stable than i am right now. some circumstances that were due to my poor judgments  :slap:, and some not my fault!!  :flame:...
but next time... it will be a much nicer car to start with!!! not as BIG of a project as it is now!! ugggg lol
and i'll be doing the HID upgrade then also!!! hehehe
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

1970Moparmann

Great upgrade!!!!  Thanks for the details also! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

CidE

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on August 04, 2010, 07:27:05 PM
yea... thanks bro... i wish i had the $$$ to keep her right now!!  :'(
i know EVERYBODY always says this but.... i will get another one in a couple of yrs when im a lil more financially stable than i am right now. some circumstances that were due to my poor judgments  :slap:, and some not my fault!!  :flame:...
but next time... it will be a much nicer car to start with!!! not as BIG of a project as it is now!! ugggg lol
and i'll be doing the HID upgrade then also!!! hehehe

Yea man don't worry about it. I had to get rid of one against my will before. It sucked but I'm doing another one now so it's all good.

dkn1997

Quote from: CidE on July 23, 2010, 03:06:06 PM
Yep cool deal. How's the projection on those though? A correct HID setup should have a good beam cut off so you don't blind everyone on the road. Like so.

How's this setup look? Or should I buy welding goggles for on coming traffic?

I can't see how you are going to get projection like this (proper) and not spend really big bucks.  Trust me, I'd love it if you could and if someone could post a pic of the kits you are talking about here from the drivers view great.... 

We all know these HID kits are popular and tons of guys around here are running around with them.  The problem is that they blind everyone on the road.  The only cars I see that don't are the ones that you know came with them... BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...  It's not just about the ballast and the bulbs.  the housing is designed as part of the system and the bulb/ballast-housing design combine to produce the proper effect.

I'd love to be wrong on this because I'd probably put a set in if they could be done "right"  I upgraded to modern Hella H1 and H4's on my charger and they really work great.  I'd put it on par with my 02 Tahoe as far as light quality...which is a huge improvement over stock. If I'm not mistaken, don't the HID's draw less current?  for that alone, I'd probably switch, but only if I can get that nice crisp line at the top of the light projection that new cars have.
RECHRGED

HOTROD

Less current and no relays  :scratchchin: thats some thing to think about !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

2Gunz

There is not a cutoff.

Its just blah light in every direction.

elacruze

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 04, 2010, 09:54:46 AM

I can't see how you are going to get projection like this (proper) and not spend really big bucks.  Trust me, I'd love it if you could and if someone could post a pic of the kits you are talking about here from the drivers view great.... 

We all know these HID kits are popular and tons of guys around here are running around with them.  The problem is that they blind everyone on the road.  The only cars I see that don't are the ones that you know came with them... BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...  It's not just about the ballast and the bulbs.  the housing is designed as part of the system and the bulb/ballast-housing design combine to produce the proper effect.

I'd love to be wrong on this because I'd probably put a set in if they could be done "right"  I upgraded to modern Hella H1 and H4's on my charger and they really work great.  I'd put it on par with my 02 Tahoe as far as light quality...which is a huge improvement over stock. If I'm not mistaken, don't the HID's draw less current?  for that alone, I'd probably switch, but only if I can get that nice crisp line at the top of the light projection that new cars have.

This is a very good point. I'll be 50 next year, and I'm in an area where I'm the youngster on the road. I don't see as well at night as I used to and I'm much more sensitive to headlights. I'm sure the older folks are even worse off. I'm going to start with H4 bulbs in my low beams and HID for high-beam only (There are very few country roads where I am) and when I find an H4 reflector with an acceptable beam spread, I'll convert to HID. Or not.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

2Gunz

Ive done a lot of research trying to come up with a real projector that will work in a charger.

All projectors Ive found so far will require modifications  to the car to make them fit, and they also dont have the classic "look".

There is one projector that sort of has the look and isnt that deep. However it was only around a few years and is prized by people that do mods.

So they cost around $600 for a pair.

With emerging LED technology I think we will see something thats better suited for us in a few years.

dkn1997

Quote from: elacruze on December 14, 2010, 08:53:57 AM

This is a very good point. I'll be 50 next year, and I'm in an area where I'm the youngster on the road. I don't see as well at night as I used to and I'm much more sensitive to headlights. I'm sure the older folks are even worse off. I'm going to start with H4 bulbs in my low beams and HID for high-beam only (There are very few country roads where I am) and when I find an H4 reflector with an acceptable beam spread, I'll convert to HID. Or not.
that seems more than reasonable... you wouldn't bright oncoming cars anyway so who cares if it's in all directions in that case...as long as it's max brightness. 

I have an 09 G8 GT and I do have that sharp line at the top of the beam, yet I dont think I have HID's. 
RECHRGED

CidE

I agree, I might attempt to make my own housing that keeps the beam low enough not to blind people. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money though so we'll see what I can come up with.

dkn1997

I need to lay off the crak pipe.. my g8 does have projectors... it do get that nice clean line in the light beam.

I'd think a way to Junkyard this would be to find a newer car that uses retro round headlights and has the projectors.  maybe a mini cooper? something like that. 

on a 2nd gen charger, it wouldn't matter much if it looked stock as long as the headlight door covered it up when not in use.  when in use, who the hell would see it anyway?
RECHRGED

DC_1

To do this properly you need to get some 5.75" plastic housings with clear lens. Then mod in some projectors to properly focus the light on the road and not scatter it into oncoming traffic. The projectors will give you the proper light cut off. Putting HID bulbs in sealed beam housing does improve things for the driver, but to those in the oncoming lane or in front of you looking through their rear view mirror it is a nightmare. To them it will be worse than someone with regular lights driving with high beams on. I know some states are starting to ban and or ticket for the use of HID kits in vehicles that did not originally come with them. This is because of the safety issue having improperly engineered lights can cause to drivers on the road.

My opinion, do it right or don't do it. If you don't have the talent, patience or want to spend the money to make proper HIDs then get a good pair of halogen sealed beams that are properly designed and engineered for the correct light distribution. It will make a huge improvement over the factory incandescent and you won't be inconsiderate to others around you.

Here is a good source of info for people who want to make a proper pair of HID lights.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?39982-Ultimate-DIY-BMW-E30-E32-amp-E34-TSX-retrofit-thread