News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HID headlights

Started by 68charger440R/T, July 19, 2010, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440R/T

Next i took the bulb out. (that red stuff is silicone)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Ok now its time for the kit its a ''The hid factory'' kit, its a h3 shorty. (this is the low beam only kit)

(oops i forgot to mention its a 10,000K kit)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Now simply put the bulb in the housing
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Now for the ghetto part I wrapped the bulb in electrical tape so it would fit tight and not vibrate. :icon_smile_big:
1 of 33,514

WHITE AND RED 69

Nice.  :2thumbs:  Thats kind of what mine is (I used H4 bulbs instead of H3) but why did you get the 5 1/2 bulb housing instead of a 5 3/4? You wouldnt need the electrical tape with the 5 3/4.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

68charger440R/T

now they fit with out vibrating.

next i mounted the ballast next to the radiator using a bolt that was already there.

then i plugged the two prongs into the old light plug its important that you plug the red one in the bottom and the black on the left.
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 22, 2010, 04:41:27 PM
Nice.  :2thumbs:  Thats basically what mine is but why did you get the 5 1/2 bulb housing instead of a 5 3/4? You wouldnt need the electrical tape with the 5 3/4.

I couldnt find any 5 3/4 that fit so i just modded the 5 1/2 one but if any one finds a 5 3/4 one that works just use that.
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Then plug the other two plugs together and bam you got hid's :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

this might help with wiring.

If you have any questions feel free to ask ;)
1 of 33,514

68charger440R/T

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on July 22, 2010, 03:22:33 PM
What kind of amps are these bulbs drawing?? haha do you have the stock alternator or the upgraded one?

Funny you ask, i have the old one and if i have the a/c on the right one flickers so when im idling i have to turn the air off lol
but i got a new alt. just have to take the time to put it on :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

Foreman72

what about high beams? could you do the same with thing but use different bulbs?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

68charger440R/T

Yes it would be just as easy but once you have the low you don't need the high beams.
1 of 33,514

Foreman72

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 23, 2010, 12:15:59 PM
Yes it would be just as easy but once you have the low you don't need the high beams.

i see...so did you just disconnect them?
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

68charger440R/T

No they still work when you hit the high beams the hid's go out and the halogens come on.
1 of 33,514

CidE

Yep cool deal. How's the projection on those though? A correct HID setup should have a good beam cut off so you don't blind everyone on the road. Like so.

How's this setup look? Or should I buy welding goggles for on coming traffic?

HITMAN 149

got my navagator lights at pep boys today!! last set they had!!!  :coolgleamA:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69rtse4spd

Must check into these, should work on a 70?. Thanks for the info & easy 1,2,3, steps for us challenge ones.  :2thumbs:.

Foreman72

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 23, 2010, 12:31:06 PM
No they still work when you hit the high beams the hid's go out and the halogens come on.

that sounds like a perfect set up! :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

HITMAN 149

hey i have the navagator headlamps from pep boys im not gonna use since now im selling the car :'( , so if anybody needed them and couldn't get them.. before i take them back to pep boys....
i think they were $39 bucks?!?!?
:cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

tan top

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on July 19, 2010, 07:16:33 PM
Just put them in, what do you guys think?

wow !! what a difference ,   :2thumbs:  , thinking about doing something along these lines now  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68charger440R/T

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on August 03, 2010, 04:55:04 PM
hey i have the navagator headlamps from pep boys im not gonna use since now im selling the car :'( , so if anybody needed them and couldn't get them.. before i take them back to pep boys....
i think they were $39 bucks?!?!?

Sorry to hear your selling your car Hitman i wish i had the money for it looks pretty sweet! :'(
1 of 33,514

HITMAN 149

yea... thanks bro... i wish i had the $$$ to keep her right now!!  :'(
i know EVERYBODY always says this but.... i will get another one in a couple of yrs when im a lil more financially stable than i am right now. some circumstances that were due to my poor judgments  :slap:, and some not my fault!!  :flame:...
but next time... it will be a much nicer car to start with!!! not as BIG of a project as it is now!! ugggg lol
and i'll be doing the HID upgrade then also!!! hehehe
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

1970Moparmann

Great upgrade!!!!  Thanks for the details also! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

CidE

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on August 04, 2010, 07:27:05 PM
yea... thanks bro... i wish i had the $$$ to keep her right now!!  :'(
i know EVERYBODY always says this but.... i will get another one in a couple of yrs when im a lil more financially stable than i am right now. some circumstances that were due to my poor judgments  :slap:, and some not my fault!!  :flame:...
but next time... it will be a much nicer car to start with!!! not as BIG of a project as it is now!! ugggg lol
and i'll be doing the HID upgrade then also!!! hehehe

Yea man don't worry about it. I had to get rid of one against my will before. It sucked but I'm doing another one now so it's all good.

dkn1997

Quote from: CidE on July 23, 2010, 03:06:06 PM
Yep cool deal. How's the projection on those though? A correct HID setup should have a good beam cut off so you don't blind everyone on the road. Like so.

How's this setup look? Or should I buy welding goggles for on coming traffic?

I can't see how you are going to get projection like this (proper) and not spend really big bucks.  Trust me, I'd love it if you could and if someone could post a pic of the kits you are talking about here from the drivers view great.... 

We all know these HID kits are popular and tons of guys around here are running around with them.  The problem is that they blind everyone on the road.  The only cars I see that don't are the ones that you know came with them... BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...  It's not just about the ballast and the bulbs.  the housing is designed as part of the system and the bulb/ballast-housing design combine to produce the proper effect.

I'd love to be wrong on this because I'd probably put a set in if they could be done "right"  I upgraded to modern Hella H1 and H4's on my charger and they really work great.  I'd put it on par with my 02 Tahoe as far as light quality...which is a huge improvement over stock. If I'm not mistaken, don't the HID's draw less current?  for that alone, I'd probably switch, but only if I can get that nice crisp line at the top of the light projection that new cars have.
RECHRGED