News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the advantage of hood insulation?

Started by JimShine, July 19, 2005, 04:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

Both of my cars had them, both are gone. Trying to decide if I want to replace them. What is the advantage to a warm weather only car? Seems like one more item to trap moisture in to me.

Just 6T9 CHGR

1) keeps hot engine heat from possibly blistering paint on hood
2) covers a potentially rusty/nasty looking underhood area

Highly recommend the molded pad
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

hemigeno

Noise Insulation was the factory's attempt to perpetuate the sale of pie pan tins, since the pad rubs on the top of the air cleaner.

:P

BTW it also will eventually rub the chrome off of Hemi air cleaners too - I've seen several that need a rechrome just for that reason alone.

BigBlockSam

when i took my 73 440 apart . i found insulation between the intake manifold and the valley pan from the factory. to keep the engine noise down. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemigeno on July 19, 2005, 05:31:54 PM
Noise Insulation was the factory's attempt to perpetuate the sale of pie pan tins, since the pad rubs on the top of the air cleaner.

BTW it also will eventually rub the chrome off of Hemi air cleaners too - I've seen several that need a rechrome just for that reason alone.

Thats why at Carlisle I broke down and bought another "Show Only"  Pie Pan......with my luck Ill forget to swap them at the end of a show and then i'll have 2 ground down pieces of aluminum.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 19, 2005, 06:57:42 PM
when i took my 73 440 apart . i found insulation between the intake manifold and the valley pan from the factory. to keep the engine noise down. Rene

Like this......most of the lo po engines got it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

That's why i love this site so much, ya learn so much...

Personally i wouldn't have one on my hood as it would obscure the five different colors from earlier repaints, they are..
a dull flat cracking yellow, looks like finger paint. a rootbeer brown, a medium blue not b-5, a tequoise blue and what looks to be the original hood color, T-3 med bronze.

BigBlockSam

yea thats it. i wonder what genius thought of that

Plumcrazy

My car has one. I think it gives the underhood area a little more of finished off look.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

Wouldn't it tend to make the engine run a little hotter too?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2005, 08:03:28 PM
Wouldn't it tend to make the engine run a little hotter too?

I doubt it. I've never heard of anybody fixing an overheating problem by removing it.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Silver R/T

dont have one and not looking to get one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

my73charger

Plus...when you stand up to fast you have some padding up there for the old noggen.. :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

yeah but Silver,.. you don't have a hood...

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

since you posted pis of your car whenever the heck that was... if you got one since then i guess it's time you posted MORE PICS!!  :yesnod:

Silver R/T

I will next time I get a chance

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

694spdRT

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 19, 2005, 07:07:20 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on July 19, 2005, 05:31:54 PM

Thats why at Carlisle I broke down and bought another "Show Only"   Pie Pan......with my luck Ill forget to swap them at the end of a show and then i'll have 2 ground down pieces of aluminum.....

I know we talked about this before. Does the holley sit a little higher than a carter/edelbrock carb?

The older non insulated one in my dad's GTX is softer than the molded one I have and hasn't done this.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

Just 6T9 CHGR

I dont think its so much the carb but the vintage Edelbrock CH4B manifold Im running
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Yeah, that could affect it too.  ;D
I seem to recall that after a manifold swap I did last winter and running into interference issues, that Neil told me to lose the Eddyclone AFB and get a Holley.  Then again, he hates anything Carterish and wants the whole world to run Holley's.

Chryco Psycho

I like hood insulation , it hold tons of dirt right by the air cleaner ... does this seem stupid or is it just me ???

Chryco Psycho

Both the Holley & Carter / Eddy are 3.5" tall
Personally I don`t care what carb you run , use a Preadtor if you want  , But I will be using a Holley Style carb , 30 + hp is worth it to me