News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 69 Project (General Lee)

Started by Bobby41909, August 11, 2010, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby41909

Yes an electric fuel pump is required

XS29L9B2

nice work i like general lee or in white she is so beautiful  :-\
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Bobby41909

Stopped by the shop today to see how the General was coming along...Enjoy:

lexxman

The70RT

Awesome.....even the rearend has a mirror finish  :icon_smile_cool:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

magnum

Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

Back N Black

PtitRaisin

Quentin

Bobby41909

I am on vacation so I have plenty of time to check out on the progress.  Finally got the brake kit from Baer so it should be in full roller form this week!

Here are a few from yesterday:

lexxman

djcarguy

why,why,why,,  :slap: take a rust free ,painted ,new top car ?? that looks to be a big block ,ac ,was it RT or SE??  rip the new top and paint off and stock ac out.   why to make another general lee ,may be nicer than alot of them. why make another old boring ,outdated,over done ,cookie cutter clone like the hundreds already out there over 20 some years.   car looks to turn out nice ,but just one of way to many.where is the line and end of higher dollar same old G LEE copy cats.... ream ccr for saving a total rust pile and tell others to part out and scrap rusty chargers,then kiss up to 1 more GL?????// thanks  no, not me :Twocents: :shruggy:

Bobby41909

Quote from: djcarguy on December 31, 2010, 10:05:16 AM
why,why,why,,  :slap: take a rust free ,painted ,new top car ?? that looks to be a big block ,ac ,was it RT or SE??  rip the new top and paint off and stock ac out.  why to make another general lee ,may be nicer than alot of them. why make another old boring ,outdated,over done ,cookie cutter clone like the hundreds already out there over 20 some years.   car looks to turn out nice ,but just one of way to many.where is the line and end of higher dollar same old G LEE copy cats.... ream ccr for saving a total rust pile and tell others to part out and scrap rusty chargers,then kiss up to 1 more GL?????// thanks  no, not me :Twocents: :shruggy:

OK, let me ease your frustration...first the car was an original SE 383 car and totally rust free!  But that's where the good ends.  The car wasn't originally white nor did it have any of its original drive train.  The 440 and trans are out of a C body.  Rear end...who knows....

The previous owner was trying to restore the car over 13 years on a shoe string budget.  He did more harm then good.  Paint was new but was horrible (looks nice in pictures).  IMO vinyl tops belong on cadillac's and Lincolns not muscle cars.  I've now sold all of the parts (thanks to ebay) and purchased all NEW. 

As for the "General", I know that's a touchie subject for some but I am not doing an exact replica.  She will have all Black interior, no CB or antenna....really it's a $300 set of vinyl stickers, a set of vector wheels and a power coated push bar.  All that can easily be removed.  I did this for a reason...Not sure how long I'll want a General.

I've already got a set of Magnum 500 wheels (lined up (AR billet's) and purchased the black R/T stripe from a member.  So with about a few hours time, I can convert her to a kick-ass R/T.  Which I might do for the right show.  Can always convert her back for another $300 set of graphics....That's like the cost of a good round of golf (foursome).

Not sure there are many 69 Chargers done this nice, with updated A/C and a very streetable 512 that are so original looking.  So I don't fully understand the the "cookie-cutter" comment. 

If this car was a matching numbers car, sure I wouldn't have change so much but its not so why not make a cool recreation and have fun with it, General Lee or Not!  All my cars, 67 Vette, 69 Camaro SS and this Charger are all and will be built to drive (in comfort) with the family along.

djcarguy

the cookie and copy cat remark was just bout the gl look,so sorry i totally see some neat stuff going in your car.i am not a big numbers and date code guy because of cost and iam disabled. built my 67 gtx ragtop trim ride 25 years ago. i respect the build ta drive and idea of removable decals .any plan ta do the rt look first for photos,than GL it.just a air bubble in my brain there,build and drive em. great drive train combo.

Blk04Snake

That is simply beautiful.  I see A LOT of attention to detail going on in your build.  I do question the cluster though..  Something doesn't look quite right there with the Tach...   Would love to find a Charger in that kinda starting condition that didn't totally break the bank!

Mike DC

If the GL is unoriginal then so is every factory-correct resto on the planet.  Nobody criticizes the restos.

orange383

I don't understand why people get worked up about GL clones. It's not like the car is being cut up in any way. It's just a paint job and some stickers.

I think the owner has got it just right with this one. Like he says he can easily declone the car if he wishes!

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished. It's already one of my favourite chargers. :yesnod:

djcarguy

all G LEE"S are totally unoriginal and ta say all resto are in the same class is brain dead dribble/////     members here totally critisized the CCR resto and saving of a junk rust pile that at least finally got saved after 30 yrs of being left ta rot...

BlueSS454

Quote from: djcarguy on January 02, 2011, 09:11:45 AM
    all G LEE"S are totally unoriginal and ta say all resto are in the same class is brain dead dribble/////     members here totally critisized the CCR resto and saving of a junk rust pile that at least finally got saved after 30 yrs of being left ta rot...

Go take a pill dude.  No one tells you what to do with your car(s).  Why do you think you are compelled to make any kind of statement on what someone else does with their car.
Tom Rightler

7chargers

"To each is there own" get off his back! Car looks great!! and most of the negative comments come from owners of cars that arent as nice. I love this forum but the negative comments I hate. Keep up the great work, love the pics to see the detail that is going into this project and THANK YOU FOR SAVING THIS CHARGER AND BRININGING IT BACK TO LIFE!! FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY ...EVEN THE HATERS!!

Bobby41909

If I've learned one thing on this fourm over the past year or so it's that everyone has an opinion, doesn't mind sharing it and the "General Lee" will start a fight.  HAHA

It's all good though...It's my dream, my money, and I can't wait to see haters either on the street or at a show.  If yours is nicer and more of a crowd pleaser then I'll listen to your rant.  For now here are few more from the shop.  Going back to work next week so less time to spend at the shop bothering Josh.  Enjoy!

Its' finally on the ground!

Hello Baer Brakes...I love the cast finish more original (factory) looking

The stainless came out amazing...looks like chrome

Looks so mean sitting there...God I love Chargers!

Starting the wireing

thrillbilly

Looks super nice, I like the General Lee, I would do the same if I had a 2nd gen.  It's his car, let him do what he wants with it, if you don't like it don't look at it.  Keep the pics coming man!!  YeeHaw!!!
"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown"  DBT

magnum

Your car looks amazing and your doing a great job! :2thumbs: I have a General as well, not as nice but it suits me ;). I don't understand the hate towards all GL's but maybe its cuz there are so many? Well not around here and all the attention I get are usually from younger kids which I think is cool. Keeps them interested in the old muscle I think but thats just my :Twocents:. It just amazes me cuz all it is is wheels and stickers. Keep up the good work man!
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

MoparManJim

Quote from: magnum on January 02, 2011, 11:49:12 AM
Your car looks amazing and your doing a great job! :2thumbs: I have a General as well, not as nice but it suits me ;). I don't understand the hate towards all GL's but maybe its cuz there are so many? Well not around here and all the attention I get are usually from younger kids which I think is cool. Keeps them interested in the old muscle I think but thats just my :Twocents:. It just amazes me cuz all it is is wheels and stickers. Keep up the good work man!

I think I know why they are haters out there in this hobby for. You see in the charger land that we are in, we have two parts, 1) we have what is original 2nd gen chargers (factory) ones, ones that are restored to factory specs, the modified versions as well. 2) we have the Dukes version which is you guess it the General Lee that gets alot more attention then the factory chargers get. I mean you can have a friend take his plan charger to a car show and you take a General Lee to the same show and see which one gets more attention. There when this happens the other guy or lady with there plan charger gets jealous because there charger isn't getting the much attention like the General Lee one is getting. It doesn't mater how much money a person spends on there car to put it back to factory or to even General tize a charger.. the fact is and will always remain that the General Lee will always get more viewers more then likly then an any R/T, R/T S/E or other charger one will get. It is what the viewer likes and if they like it they will look at it. But what the funny part about the haters are is this, they like to put down the General Lee, but yet they say they love chargers but you know something, if they open there eyes up more and look they will see that the car they are hating is infact a charger under all that stuff. So there for when they cut down the General Lee they are cutting down the same kind of car they like or have as well at the same time and that is a "charger".  

I think the car in this thread looks great as a plan charger or even as a General Lee. I love looking at the photos of the progress of the car.  :2thumbs:

orange383

There is no doubt about it this car is fantastic. Excellent attention to detail and very high quality of work going in to it.

Bobby41909

Quote from: orange383 on January 02, 2011, 02:11:30 PM
There is no doubt about it this car is fantastic. Excellent attention to detail and very high quality of work going in to it.

Thanks.  I owe all of it to my boy Josh.  At times he gets crap for being a fairly young guy with his own performance/restoration shop but contrary to what the older folks may think.....he KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.  He has unbeleive patience, and a comment to quality that you just don't see that much today.  Instead of the "Fluff & Buff" mentality that makes so many in this industry crooks, he does it right or doesn't do it at all.  At times that means he make less $$$$.  I couldn't be happier with his workmanship, guidance, and bedside manner. 

Although it's hard to hear sometimes (like replacing all the fasterners, every little plastic wheel for the windows, etc) because it means another invoice from R/T Specialities and others.  In the end though, his attention to detail is going to pay-off!  I already see (and am convinced) the added time and expense is worth it.  How much would you pay for a truely NEW 69 Charger...Well that's where this project has gone... 

I do appreciate all great comments! 

Can't wait til the car is driveable so I can post a video of my first burn-out...HA-HA  Oh yes, I know it may look like a trailer queen but it WILL BE DRIVEN.  Nice thing about dirt is....it washes away....