News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP-PAINTING PROBLEMS!!

Started by sixpack_sid, September 06, 2010, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 08, 2010, 11:13:47 AM
If the scratch is shiny you have not sanded far enough. If the scratch is dull (sanded) then you have sanded far enuf and its just paint down in a primer scratch that you painted over.

Ok, I also see an orange peel effect in spots. I tried sanding it, but not all came out. Will the paint hide that?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Silver R/T

Quote from: sixpack_sid on September 08, 2010, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 08, 2010, 11:13:47 AM
If the scratch is shiny you have not sanded far enough. If the scratch is dull (sanded) then you have sanded far enuf and its just paint down in a primer scratch that you painted over.

Ok, I also see an orange peel effect in spots. I tried sanding it, but not all came out. Will the paint hide that?

No it won't, you need to keep sanding until it's completely flat. You won't see anymore shiny craters
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

elitecustombody

you're getting there, keep sanding till all texture and scratches are gone and you'll be fine, on first coat don't hose the basecoat on, do a light coat and see how it lays down and whatever you do, buy some prep towels and prep solvent

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

sixpack_sid

I sanded until my fingers bled! Now I'm ready to go back to the paint shop tomorrow and pick up more color and definitely prep solution and prep rags. I'm also picking up some tack rags to go over the base coat before the clear goes on. I'm planning on giving it another try this weekend! Wish me luck!
Thank you for all your help!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Charger-Bodie

Good luck!!

Take your time,be calm and patient and pay close attention to what your doing .....you will do fine.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

sixpack_sid

I spent all day on the car, I painted the base coat on and it looked great! Nice and smooth! When I put the clear coat on, it went on with an orange peel effect. It looks like there's lint laying in the paint. Did I miss something? I sweated on that car, bled on that car, and that's what I get? I am so upset right now! This is not how it should be. The sanding marks are out. It looked great with the base coat on. I don't know what happenend. I used lint free rags, got wax & grease remover from the paint store.  Is there any advice out there on what I can do? I'm at my wit's end with this car!

Silver R/T

any pics of problem areas?
Did you remember to blow off each panel before shooting it and then using tack cloth?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

No, I didn't blow off the car before putting on the clear-it looked fine. There was nothing on it. I wasn't sure about using a tack cloth, since the car looked ok, I just shot the clear coat.
Pics to follow.

sixpack_sid

here's a pic

sixpack_sid

another pic

sixpack_sid

sixpack_sid

more

Charger-Bodie

Looks to me like you had bad to zero flow,and a lot of the overspay ended up on the car.

You will need to do some more sanding......Then buffing.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

sixpack_sid

big bad orange

sixpack_sid

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 12, 2010, 03:14:06 PM
Looks to me like you had bad to zero flow,and a lot of the overspay ended up on the car.

I used a HVLP gravity feed gun w/55 psi. I read on the clear coat that you can reduce it 5-10%, but the paint shop didn't give me any reducer.
Well, what's done is done. What can I do to fix it?
What grit sandpaper do I use? I have 3 coats of clear on it. How far do I sand down? How do I buff it out? Do I need to go over the car with another coat of clear after sanding?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: sixpack_sid on September 12, 2010, 03:20:58 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 12, 2010, 03:14:06 PM

I used a HVLP gravity feed gun w/55 psi. I read on the clear coat that you can reduce it 5-10%, but the paint shop didn't give me any reducer.
Well, what's done is done. What can I do to fix it?
What grit sandpaper do I use? I have 3 coats of clear on it. How far do I sand down? How do I buff it out? Do I need to go over the car with another coat of clear after sanding?

I mean airflow through the room...There are several differant systems for sanding and buffing. Talk to the paint store and use a step by step system they reccomend.

TylerCharger69

Judging by the picture marked as #3...it looks as if there may be too much air pressure blowing on to the panels....And you mentioned you were using an HVLP gun......Have you tried just using a conventional gravity fed cup gun??    Just an idea.... :shruggy:

elitecustombody

Want a good advice? Find someone local to shoo the clear for you.But I'd like to know exactly what materials you used,what were the mixing ratios,what was the air pressure,are you positive your gun was adjusted properly ,what kind of air compressor are you using? 

Stefan

restoman

^^^That's excellent advice.^^^
Painting isn't that easy, there are a lot of essential steps to go through before you can even think of picking up the spray gun. You've missed several.
Don't sweat it or get upset, not everybody is cut out to be a painter.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: restoman on September 12, 2010, 08:08:04 PM
Painting isn't that easy, there are a lot of essential steps to go through before you can even think of picking up the spray gun. You've missed several.

Thanks for adding insult to injury! I'm looking for help here.

mauve66

guess i better not try at the rate i'm going, although i'm tempted to try the epoxy primer and then the high build so i don't have to pay someone else for all the labor of sanding
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

elitecustombody

Quote from: sixpack_sid on September 12, 2010, 08:16:24 PM

Thanks for adding insult to injury! I'm looking for help here.

the only way I can help is to know the answers to the questions I posted in my previous post

Stefan

hemi-hampton

About the only clears that say can be reduced upto 5%-10% are the newer high solids clears. You'd be better off with the old traditional non high solids clears. The new high solids clears need to be either reduced 10% or you need to pile it on much heavier to get it to flow out. Being high solids you can put on heavier with out running it. Going too light will give you what you see on yours, A rough textured dryspray, going heavier will git rid of it by then produce orange peel unless you go really heavy. You dont want to go super heavy heavy on first coat but gradually go heavier with 2nd & 3rd coat with 15-20 minutes flash time inbetween coats. Go with a slower reducer to flow out smoother if hot & humid. I'd sand what you got & put 2 more heavier coats on it.  :Twocents: :shruggy:  LEON.

Silver R/T

I'd start wetsanding with 1200 or so and after whole car is done put additional 2 coats and follow with sanding that, starting with 1500

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

The clear looks a little dry to me. Meaning, not enough applied and did not flow out.
The dirt in the paint could be caused by a myriad of problems:
1) Air flow in the room. If the paint overspray in the air is not removed quickly enough it will dry and land on your paint, simulating dirt in the paint.
2) Did not tack between coats, and again BEFORE clear.
3) The clothes you were wearing. Did you wear a lint-free paint suit & a hood sock?
4) Dirt from the garage. Did you blow out your garage or wet the floor? This will help prevent dirt from the room getting on the car. Every time you take a step you stir up dirt.
5) Dirt inside the car. Did you blow out the car, inside & out, top to bottom, both before masking and before spraying? Any dirt that's in cracks or crevices will blow out onto the car once you start spraying. And cover or remove your tires! They are a treasure trove for dirt. Plastic garbage bags covered and taped around the tires work fine.

The clear texture:
1) Too much air pressure.
2) Not reduced enough, clear was too thick to be shot thru your gun.
3) Since you used no reducer, perhaps the hardener was too fast? This will cause the clear to set up too fast before it has a chance to flow out.
4) Gun speed too fast. Did you watch the clear pattern as you sprayed it?

Other members have also given good suggestions.
What would I do? I know you don't want to hear this. Sand the whole car down with 1000, and shoot another 2-3 coats of clear. I personally don't like using anything finer as I like to have a surface for the clear to "bite" into. 2-3 additional coats will give you enough material in case you want to sand & buff it.
My fear would be if you tried to sand & buff what you have, if the clear was sprayed too dry (thin) there might not be enough mil thickness to buff it & give you UV protection. You also might remove alot of material trying to sand out the imperfections. If the clear mil thickness is too thin it won't hold up to the elements.

Finally, before spraying clear on a 20 foot car again, do yourself a favor & practice spraying a spare fender, door or hood. Don't have one? Ask your local body shop for a junk fender they're throwing out. Who knows, maybe they'll give you a good price for just shooting a few coats of clear also.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce