News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP-PAINTING PROBLEMS!!

Started by sixpack_sid, September 06, 2010, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamMopar

My personal opinion is this is still a gun, gun setting, or air supply issue.

You state two different inlet pressures in two of your posts, one signicantly lower than the other which could be an issue.  I would make sure you get that set correctly.  Do some test panels, not anything from the car, to work on getting your gun settings correct

Your compressor, is likely a little on the small side I'm assuming based on some of the information you have given, but it should still work though you may have to take your time.

That's been my general thought throughout this, and I still think it may be the issue for what it is worth.

restoman

I agree with the gun being the issue here.
Even with reduced air pressure, the effect would more likely be heavy peel and runs, not dry spray.
You can try to reduce the clear 10% or even a little more and possibly get some better flow, or at least SOME flow, but it sounds to me like the gun is the problem. Adding some more hardener will produce more flow as it slows dry time, but other issues can crop up if you're not careful.

If, when you trigger the gun the pressure drops to 30 psi (or lower as you said) and you get dry spray, the only culprits can be :

A- the air temp is too high for the product you're using - some cheaper clears do flash quickly, adding some slow reducer will help somewhat, but as you say the decklid turned out dry, air temp is not the main issue.
B- moving far too fast with the gun, or holding it too far from the panel - with an HVLP 6 to 8 inches is a good distance and speed, well, if you're waving the gun over the panel like Harry Potter waves his wand, that's too fast. Too slow will give heavy orange peel,super smooth and runs so it's a learned thing. Practice.
C- a crappy spray gun - maybe a plugged vent on the cap, blocked internal air passages or air cap, or just a plain inadequate gun. 1.4 is an ok tip size, perhaps a little on the large size for a beginner.
Know anyone who can loan you a gun to try?

BTW, with an HVLP gun, you do need larger, high flowing fittings from the compressor all the way up to and including the gun. An initial setting of 60 psi sounds way too high to me. You're looking for air volume here, not air pressure. An HVLP not getting enough air could be your problem if you're trying to make up for a lack of volume with pressure.

elitecustombody

I wonder if there are any DC members live close to OP that are willing to spend couple hours helping the poor guy out, we could repeat same advice over and over,and it's obvious it still hasn't helped .I'd do it if he was near Jacksonville Florida

I'm almost positive his problem has to do with air supply at the gun. He may also bought too fast of hardener for the clear.

OP, if you're still trying to do this yourself, at the least find a scrap fender and practice

I'd avoid using more than 5% reducer in cheap clear,it will lose it's durability even if you get all the die-back buffed out :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

FLG

That's why I asked where he was. I live in brooklyn ny which isn't very far from pa but I'm not sure how. Far west in pa he is. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I've sprayed enough to be able to get a decent product.

sixpack_sid

After working on a scrap panel this weekend, I think (HOPE) I finally figured out the problem. I bought a $5 water filter to put on my line after my regulator/filter to keep the water from entering the gun. Apparantly, this also blocked my air pressure because when I took it off, the pressure stayed constant on my gun. I sprayed the panel again, and after a little adjusting with my gun, it sprayed out like glass! I hope this was the problem, but I can't be positive until I try to paint the car again this weekend.
By the way, I did have a paint guy come over last week to take a look at the car. He adjusted my gun and gave me some tips. But I guess he didn't notice the water filter, or didn't think much of it to mention anything.
Thank you for all your replies. I will let you know how things go this weekend!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Silver R/T

well you do want water filter on there, you sure don't want water in your paint!
You should buy air regulator with water trap built into it and mount it on the wall somewhere and then run another 50ft of hose for your air tools.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 20, 2010, 07:14:55 PM
well you do want water filter on there, you sure don't want water in your paint!
You should buy air regulator with water trap built into it and mount it on the wall somewhere and then run another 50ft of hose for your air tools.
I do have a water filter on my regulator, but some water still comes through. I will drain it frequently to keep the water out of the paint.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Dodgecharger74

I use 3 water filters side by side #3 stays dry at end of spraying car  but empty often
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi