News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What size Carburetor do I need? (496 stroker build)

Started by TXcharger70, September 29, 2010, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

I was wondering what size carburetor I would need for My 383 (496) stroker build? I have a Holley 750 vac right now but would i need something a little bigger like an 850cfm dp? and while i am at it what stall converter would you guys recommend this is street car build on occasion it might see the track mainly street use though

I have 3:55 gears
727 trans
10:1 compr
440 source heads
eddy performer intake
comp cam XE284H

1Bad70Charger

I asked my engine builder this exact question for a 505 build-up, he use to be crew chief for Schumaker Racing (Funny car blown alcohol in the 1990s), so I would recommend what he told me for a 505 which is a 950 HP (carb).

I will defer to the converter experts for a mostly street/occasion strip converter for a 496 engine.

Are you using a 400 block with a 4.115 stroke to get your cubes?

Best of luck!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

TXcharger70

No I am using a 383 block with a 4.25 crank bored .60 over which gives roughly 496

RD

most pick a carburetor based upon WOT fuel delivery to peak RPMS.  personally, if you never plan on putting the car in the 5000 rpm or above category, you can "street" that car with a 750 and not worry about fuel issues.  Run a tad rich, but do not need to go above that cfm rating.

Engine's with larger displacement do require higher cfm ratings based upon the "usage" of the engine.  If you planned on drag racing it more often than street racing it, then go big, but you do not need to.

it really matters on what you plan on doing and how much you plan on spending.  please consider this.  many will chime in on what they think you may need based upon their own driving habits of your car if it was in their possession, but not actually the way you may drive.

for instance, I would go with a 950 holley, proform, or demon because i would be racing the piss out of the SOB and I know more fuel is nice. :D

if i just planned on cruising the girl.. a 750 is all i would go.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TXcharger70

There is definitely some cruising but don't get me wrong i do have a heavy foot i want to make that thing run like a scolded dog other wise i wouldn't have built the stroker. I am going to just floor it from time to time just cause or maybe most of the time. I am just not going to be at the track every weekend or every month just from time to time when me and my buddys head up there. Just need an all around total package

General_01

Ron recommended the Proform 950 for my 496 build. I went with an AED 950. I do mostly cruising but may see some strip occassionally. You will like your build. :D

My build:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46587.0.html
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Roger 68 charger

I don't mean to hijack you thread but are you guys running the stock fuel line 3/8 or are you going with the 1/2?
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

General_01

I think stock size for a 383 was 5/16? Whatever the stock size is, that's what I am running right now.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

TXcharger70

Yes i agree the stock size is 5/16 (383) coming from the tank to the fuel pump now from the pump to the carb then i think its 3/8 thats what i will be running for the time being. The 5/16 is good up to about 500hp from what i understand

TXcharger70

What about Torque Convertor do you all have any recommendations? And stall speed i would need ? It will see the highway quite a bit

RD

street driving, 26-2800 stall.  your cam is not aggressive enough to warrant a higher stall than that.  with your 496, that converter will most likely stall a little higher due to your torque production anyway.

on the carb side, you never said what type of fuel pump you were running.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1970Moparmann

Another vote for the Proform 950!  I have a 500 stroker and the carb is awesome. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

TXcharger70

Quote from: RD on September 29, 2010, 09:14:59 PM
street driving, 26-2800 stall.  your cam is not aggressive enough to warrant a higher stall than that.  with your 496, that converter will most likely stall a little higher due to your torque production anyway.

I ordered hv cart street super pump. You have me second guessing myself on my cam cause i was going to get xe294 but when i used the comcast program seemed like a better fit with 284

RD

Quote from: TXcharger70 on September 29, 2010, 10:40:36 PM
Quote from: RD on September 29, 2010, 09:14:59 PM
street driving, 26-2800 stall.  your cam is not aggressive enough to warrant a higher stall than that.  with your 496, that converter will most likely stall a little higher due to your torque production anyway.

I ordered hv cart street super pump. You have me second guessing myself on my cam cause i was going to get xe294 but when i used the comcast program seemed like a better fit with 284

ron will know better, but from what i understand.. a larger displacement motor offsets the affects of higher duration cams just due to the increase in volume of the engine.  the 284 comp cam will not be the best, nor the worst, camshaft choice, but do not expect huge gains from it all due to you larger displacement motor.

talk to firefighter.  he will recommend a good cam based on that combo.

TXcharger70

ron will know better, but from what i understand.. a larger displacement motor offsets the affects of higher duration cams just due to the increase in volume of the engine.  the 284 comp cam will not be the best, nor the worst, camshaft choice, but do not expect huge gains from it all due to you larger displacement motor.

talk to firefighter.  he will recommend a good cam based on that combo.
[/quote]

Sorry I made a mistake guys I have the XE282s cam sorry about that

Belgium R/T -68

I have a Proform 850 for my stroker and I will do mostly cruising with some occcasional
burnouts and streetaccelerations so I guess I'm fine there but do think I need a regulator
for my fuelpump, it's just like it makes the carb flood a little bit on idle and very low speed.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker