News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Almost 1970 again

Started by vancamp, October 03, 2010, 07:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancamp

went by a Dodge dealer in Madison Wisconsin and saw all the challengers lined up and all the colors almost like 1970 again except of course they are 10 times higher in price or more

vancamp

1969chargerrtse

Great pictures. They cost more but you get a lot more car than in 1970.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerboy69

Great pictures. . . The price tags remind me why I do not own one.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Too bad they don't have a new Charger to go with them.

68X426

Nice pics, great idea to post them.  :2thumbs:

That's more Dodge inventory on one lot than you see in total on 30 lots of Northern California's Dodge dealers. Guess there's no recession in Wisconsin!  ::) ::)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

impressiveline up !!  , thanks for sharing the pictures   :2thumbs: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

It is getting close to time for some of these SRT8s to start showing up on the used lots.  I figure 4 to 5 years.  I doubt those will be priced much better :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ponch ®

Quote from: vancamp on October 03, 2010, 07:18:26 PM
almost like 1970 again except of course they are 10 times higher in price or more
Quote from: chargerboy69 on October 03, 2010, 10:01:52 PM
Great pictures. . . The price tags remind me why I do not own one.

Once again:

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 01, 2010, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: Cooter on September 30, 2010, 06:34:56 PM
Boss Mustang= $$$$$$
475 SRT8 Challenger = $$$$$$$
425 HP Camaro 427= $$$$$$$

Where's the definaition of "Musclecar" in any of these today? Where's the elcheapo body with no frills and the huge engine with whatever options the CUSTOMER ORDERS on it, for a resonable price tag? Why do these vehicle cost What a small house costs to get?

If history really does repeat itself, this may be the last hoorah of the musclecars before the "Gas crunch" shuts 'em down for a second time, only this time, it will be the "Green" folks driving round in stupid cars doing the dictation..

What did the average new muscle car go for in the 'golden era' of the late 60's/early70's 1969? $4-5k? When you take into account that those $4-5k equal about $25-30K of today's money and you can buy a V6 Camaro that puts out 300hp for less than $25k or a base Challenger R/T that would probably blow the doors off most classic muscle cars OR a 430hp V8 Camaro for about $30K, it's not exactly a huge leap in price. Add in the huge improvements in suspension, fuel economy, safety, and overall reliability of even the most basic new car over an old one, and it all starts to fall into place.

Sure, the SRTs / SVTs / SS (or whatever Chevy is designating it's hi-po cars nowadays) are a lot more expensive than that, but so was a Daytona or a Judge back in it's day.

Perspective son, perspective. The good ol' days were never really as good as one remembers....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Nacho-RT74

talking about the Cooter quote... first they are not muscle cars they are pony cars :D... or that was the inital therm for them, not ?

then... I dunno nowdays economy on USA, but the inital quote for the muscle cars were a mid price sporty/family car for the mid class socioeconomy rate, lot power to go to work on labor days, family trip on saturday and race day on sunday.

wasn't more less on that way back on muscle car days ?

what's the rate for a mid price family car nowdays ? $25-30K ? less ?
what's the rate for a mid price family car back in the years ? $3-4K ? less ?

dunno exactly, but now, if the rates I posted are kinda close to the reality

how hard was to get $3-4K back in the years, and how hard is get $25-30K now ?

not judging, just wondering :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ponch ®

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 04, 2010, 12:12:16 PM
talking about the Cooter quote... first they are not muscle cars they are pony cars :D... or that was the inital therm for them, not ?

then... I dunno nowdays economy on USA, but the inital quote for the muscle cars were a mid price sporty/family car for the mid class socioeconomy rate, lot power to go to work on labor days, family trip on saturday and race day on sunday.

wasn't more less on that way back on muscle car days ?

what's the rate for a mid price family car nowdays ? $25-30K ? less ?
what's the rate for a mid price family car back in the years ? $3-4K ? less ?

dunno exactly, but now, if the rates I posted are kinda close to the reality

how hard was to get $3-4K back in the years, and how hard is get $25-30K now ?

not judging, just wondering :shruggy:

well, bull put it in good context in another thread. Back then a "muscle car" cost about 1/2 of the average yearly income at the time. Now it's (depending on the car and option) 3/5 or even 4/5 of the average yearly salary. However, by the same token, almost everything - from a movie theater ticket to a vacation - costs more in relation to purchasing power than it did back then. Plus, as someone said, you're getting a lot more car now than you did back then. Using the cost vs. income comparison, pretty much the only things that have gotten cheaper as they get better better are TV's, computers and cell phones.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Nacho-RT74

interesting... now something else to add will be... how much ppl gets an "average income" back in the years and nowdays
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ponch ®

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 04, 2010, 12:44:19 PM
interesting... now something else to add will be... how much ppl gets an "average income" back in the years and nowdays

this is what bull found:

Quote from: bull on October 01, 2010, 05:51:36 PM
In 1968 an R/T Charger cost about $3,500 which is equal to $21,577 today according to this: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
In 1968 the median household income was $8,630 according to this: http://www2.census.gov/prod2/popscan/p60-063.pdf

The median household income in 2009 was $49,777 according to this: http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p60-238.pdf (page 4)
The cost of a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T was $39,055 according to this: http://cars.about.com/od/dodg1/gr/09challenger_rt.htm

So back then a 68 Charger R/T would cost less than half your annual salary. Today, a Challenger R/T costs about 4/5 your average salary. And the average salary today should actually be $54,138.87 according to the inflation calculator. So there's some perspective.

bull

You can lay some of the blame on regulations, be they safety, environmental, etc. All that stuff adds to the cost of pretty much everything these days. There's probably some low mpg "sin tax" tagged on too. Not sure if that stuff covers the entire $17k difference between the cost of an '09 Challenger R/T and the would-be cost of a '68 Charger R/T but it's a consideration. Adding insult to injury, we should be making more money on average too.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on October 04, 2010, 10:01:45 PM
You can lay some of the blame on regulations, be they safety, environmental, etc. All that stuff adds to the cost of pretty much everything these days. There's probably some low mpg "sin tax" tagged on too. Not sure if that stuff covers the entire $17k difference between the cost of an '09 Challenger R/T and the would-be cost of a '68 Charger R/T but it's a consideration. Adding insult to injury, we should be making more money on average too.

It's mostly the latter (wages not growing as fast). But remember why Ford didnt put IRS on the 05-10 Mustang? Because it would have added something like $8k to the price. So when you think of all the things that are standard on most cars now that an old muscle car wouldn't have, you can see where some of the price increase is coming from.

TruckDriver

:o Holy Cow those are priced cheap! Over at 5 Corners Dodge in Cedarburg, Wi., they are asking in the low $40's for the same cars. :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

b5blue

Many forget it was insurance that killed muscle cars, and probably will again. Look at the rates to insure these cars added to the price.  :scratchchin:

Magnumcharger

Those really are fantastic prices!!!
I paid a whole lot more than that for my Plum Crazy Classic R/T - which I got for "employee discount".....!

But the fact remains, I got a whole lot more car than I would have got if I'd bought an "equivalent" 1970 Challenger "back in the day".
As a matter of fact, with the options my car has, I would have had to buy an 1970 Chrysler Imperial to get the level of options I got.
Power Mirrors, Power windows, Heated Power Seats, Auto-dim mirror, Heated/power side mirrors (both sides), Hemi engine with manual transmission, Cruise control, Electronics package, Air Conditioning, Four wheel disc brakes, Traction control (with off switch), leather seats, and the list goes on....

Not to mention, I get 34 miles to the gallon (Canadian) at 70 mph, with the cruise control on.
My former 1970 Challenger R/T, with 383 V-8, four speed, and 3.23 gears MIGHT have been lucky to get 15mpg on the highway at 60mph.

Times have changed....only the color remains the same!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ponch ®

Quote from: TruckDriver on October 05, 2010, 04:54:45 AM
:o Holy Cow those are priced cheap! Over at 5 Corners Dodge in Cedarburg, Wi., they are asking in the low $40's for the same cars. :P

are you sure the ones at that delership aren't SRT's? If they're SRTs that's pretty much what they go for. If they're R/T's...well, could be the options. It only takes a MyGig nav radio and a couple of other things to add a few grand to the price of the car.

bull

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 05, 2010, 11:59:55 AM
Power Mirrors, Power windows, Heated Power Seats, Auto-dim mirror, Heated/power side mirrors (both sides), Hemi engine with manual transmission, Cruise control, Electronics package, Air Conditioning, Four wheel disc brakes, Traction control (with off switch), leather seats, and the list goes on....

Times have changed....only the color remains the same!

IMO we've finally reached the point of overkill when it comes to gadgetry. As of 2011 you can't get a full size pickup with a manual transmission, my brother can't smoke the tires on his '05 Cherokee because of the traction control, and now the Ford Exploder parallel parks itself. It's gotten rediculous. I don't mind a few extras but when the car does everything for you, whether you want it to or not, we've lost something. I wonder how many people would even be able to drive a 60s muscle car if they had to?

TruckDriver

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 05, 2010, 12:28:55 PM
Quote from: TruckDriver on October 05, 2010, 04:54:45 AM

are you sure the ones at that delership aren't SRT's? If they're SRTs that's pretty much what they go for. If they're R/T's...well, could be the options. It only takes a MyGig nav radio and a couple of other things to add a few grand to the price of the car.

They are SRT8's. I didn't think they were priced that high. I never looked at them that close. Oh well. :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Skinypete

Dude great pictures!!  :drool5:

DJMIII
DJMIII

bakerhillpins

The color lineup matches the season... autumn.  :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

694spdRT

That is where I bought my last Cummins truck....maybe it's time to trade it back in.  :scratchchin:

Looks like a drive on Odana Rd. to check out the scenery is in order.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

vancamp

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 22, 2010, 10:19:00 AM
That is where I bought my last Cummins truck....maybe it's time to trade it back in.  :scratchchin:

Looks like a drive on Odana Rd. to check out the scenery is in order.
thye had a couple new cummins trucks, i went  :o when i saw the price tags though.