News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TALLADEGA 2014!

Started by Mopar John, November 02, 2010, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: RealWing on October 11, 2012, 02:00:20 PM

Thanks
Now that I've finally finished the restoration - I can't believe it took me 12 years and 3 months!!!

Hey wait a minute...... You're not done with the restoration....... Where's the dent on the lower driver's side nosecone?

Just kidding........ Gorgeous car..  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RealWing

Hey wait a minute...... You're not done with the restoration....... Where's the dent on the lower driver's side nosecone?

[/quote]

Picky, picky, picky!!!  OK - so I took the hammer to the nose and spray bombed it Does that look better??!!
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

moparstuart

Quote from: RealWing on October 28, 2012, 12:26:56 PM

Picky, picky, picky!!!  OK - so I took the hammer to the nose and spray bombed it Does that look better??!!
[/quote] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RealWing

Quote from: Ghoste on October 26, 2012, 12:12:34 PM
Asked around and they didn't rmember the car but one suggested contacting Nate Salter who writes for Old Autos as he owned Sunset back around that time.

Thanks for asking around. I had been in contact with Nate several years ago. He is the one who first helped identify the car. He has written a book about stockcar racing ( The Golden Years of Stock Car Racing in Toronto 1951-1996) and it mentions the Superbird when it was the pace car in 1972.

"Now you Mopar fans will love this one. The pace car that year was supplied by Jack¬son Motors of Barrie, the Chrysler dealer that Gord Coates managed, and it was an unsold left over 1970 model that they just couldn't get rid of. This leftover was a brand new Plymouth Superbird!!! Originally lime green, with a black vinyl top, the green was sup¬planted by a putrid gold colour to match the Labatts 50 sponsorship of the point fund.

Here is where it gets interesting. There was only one regular Chrysler product run¬ning at Sunset, and that was Larry Foubert in his 1969 Dodge Dart. So picture this, there are (2) two Chrysler vehicles in the whole joint that get on the speedway surface.
During one feature event, with the pace car supposedly parked safely in the infield you will never guess who lost control on the 3-4 corner and came spinning into the infield, making major modifications to the front nose and fender of the Superbird. Yep, it was Foubert, and yes Gord Coates was really im¬pressed. (Good thing Tony Lant was not in¬suring that mess eh what?) It took Larry "four barrels" Foubert a longtime to live that one down.

The Dart, by the way, still lives in the hands of Bill Burrows, who is thinking of letting it make a comeback as an IMCA modified. Bill figures it will improve with age."

This is a photo of the car in 1972 paint scheme.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Daytona Guy

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

pettybird

can we have fewer coronet convertibles and the like?

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona Guy on October 30, 2012, 01:59:19 AM
Clones allowed?

Yes, there are always several clone cars at Talladega.

FJ5WING

Quote from: pettybird on October 30, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

as in some are OK?
wingless now, but still around.

pettybird

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 30, 2012, 10:11:21 AM
Quote from: pettybird on October 30, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

as in some are OK?

there was one...fewer would make our numbers equal

moparstuart

pettybird

and if you own an aero car, that works, and other cars...bring the aero car and not your '69 road runner.

hemi68charger

Quote from: RealWing on October 28, 2012, 12:26:56 PM

Just kidding........ Gorgeous car..  :2thumbs:

Picky, picky, picky!!!  OK - so I took the hammer to the nose and spray bombed it Does that look better??!!

:smilielol:   Ah man !!!!  I was just kidding !!!  Didn't REALLY mean for you to take a whack at it.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on October 30, 2012, 10:58:38 PM
and if you own an aero car, that works, and other cars...bring the aero car and not your '69 road runner.
how about convertibles with  coronet front ends   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on November 01, 2012, 09:06:34 AM
Quote from: pettybird on October 30, 2012, 10:58:38 PM
how about convertibles with  coronet front ends   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

will you dress up like a lime green clown?

69_500

If its close to Halloween the next time Stuart should go as a Giant Yoda.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on November 01, 2012, 06:42:32 PM
If its close to Halloween the next time Stuart should go as a Giant Yoda.

:shruggy: :smilielol: :smilielol:  the jolly green giant yoda  :shruggy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

talkiemopar

hello,

It's me sherry.  Did Rich tell you about me wanting him to sell one of the chargers?  Well anyone got about 25k?  Will most likely sell.  Only you know I've sent this.  He offered it to a guy on the phone.  Waiting for reply I think?
He's getting old I think being realistic.
See yA   sHERRY

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on November 02, 2012, 06:09:47 PM
hello,

It's me sherry.  Did Rich tell you about me wanting him to sell one of the chargers?  Well anyone got about 25k?  Will most likely sell.  Only you know I've sent this.  He offered it to a guy on the phone.  Waiting for reply I think?
He's getting old I think being realistic.
See yA   sHERRY
which one  sheery  red one  ?

mauve66

went to the wellborn museum in 2011, was great, went to the talladega museum that day also, not as good as the wellborn one, only one mopar as i remember it
my mother is moving to columbus , ga, maybe i can get her to finance the car and trip to the 2014 meet and then go see her the next day....................... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mopar John

With the running of today's Talladega 500 we have less than a year to the 2014 meet! I won't tell you who won today as some may still have to watch the recorded race. I will tell you this: IT WAS NOT A DODGE IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE!
This week NASCAR released the 2014 schedule. Just a couple of races switched weekends. The fall Talladega race is on October 19th!
Mark your calanders and get your projects done!
MJ

1970Moparmann

John, thanks for providing the date.  Now, I have a date to shoot for with the car!

How many cars usually attend this meet?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Aero426

Car count typically is around 100 figuring in the Talladegas, C500 and Spoiler II cars.

hemi68charger

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but host hotel?  :scratchchin:

Troy

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 21, 2013, 06:09:25 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but host hotel?  :scratchchin:

Nothing yet.  I would think that after the MCACN show in November, things will start moving on this.