News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So where are the miniature wing cars?

Started by held1823, December 12, 2010, 08:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

I love the  Dr. don tarr  coke  superbird  , have always loved that paint scheme and thought it would make a great race clone tribute car .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

I did the bestline car also 

held1823

slot car time. while afx (daytonas) and tyco (superbirds) were the most popular HO-scale brands over the years, life-like racing also produced a wing car in HO scale. i don't know of any other color these superbirds were made in. has anyone seen others?

lifelike slots.JPG
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

where is the orange one from?  I have 3-4 purple ones and one aqua. 

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on December 21, 2011, 12:25:54 PM
I have the orange one and a petty one that came in a two car set , digging it up could take years  LOL

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on December 21, 2011, 12:32:16 PM
Quote from: pettybird on December 21, 2011, 12:25:54 PM
I have the orange one and a petty one that came in a two car set , digging it up could take years  LOL

you have an orange Life-Like 'bird or an orange Tyco bird?  I have the Tyco one...

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on December 21, 2011, 12:25:54 PMwhere is the orange one from?

im not sure if the orange car was available separately- i've never seen a photo of one packaged like the purple and turquoise cars.

Lifelike_muscle_power_raceway_set1.jpg

lifelikes.jpg 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

resin castings offer a lot of color options. here are some untrimmed superbird bodies. clear windows will be installed after completing the finish work with an exacto knife.

C_0013.JPG

C_0015.JPG 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

this is what they will look like after trimming off the flashing, although these bodies have dark glass. also shown are some resin afx daytona bodies. 

C021bb.JPG

C025bb.JPG   
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

SBBob

Here is my wife's find for this year.  A wingcar for the Christmas tree.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

gtx6970

AMT kit I built early mid 90's time frame.

gtx6970

Chassis detail

gtx6970

gtx6970

Real and working hood pins and clips
center grille is real screen steel mesh

moparstuart

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 24, 2011, 06:59:01 PM
Real and working hood pins and clips
center grille is real screen steel mesh
nice work    :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   great colors 

69_500

Great looking model there Bill.  Love the addition of the real clips. I have probably 75 model Daytona's laying around here, but I have only built 1. That was when I was 8 years old I put together one other than that they just sit here in the boxes.

Aero426

All the little #7's got together for a family reunion today.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

OK some more HO slots...

These are some of the AFX Daytona variations.  You can see the two yellow cars are Flamethrower models (they have headlights) while the orange and one of the blue are not.  There are no orange flamethrowers, and I have at least one non-lighted yellow car at home.  

Most of the cars came in the clamshell package, but the yellow car lived long enough to get into a blister pack.  Full sets frequently had the blue or yellow cars in them.

pettybird

These are the newest Tyco slots.  The yellow car on the right and the Petty bird were released in the late 80's/early 90's.  The yellow car was packaged separately while the Petty car came with Petty's '91ish Grand Prix.  The orange car was part of a two car set in the mid 90s, and the yellow car on the left came in a set with a '73 Charger, and were released my Mattel after they bought Tyco.  That set is the last HO slot car set from Tyco/Mattel.

pettybird

Other than the first, these are the oldest Tycos.  The oldest car is a sky blue car with a flat black hood and 43's on the doors and roof.  There's one car on eBay now that apparently came in a set, but lore has it that it was only available through warrranty if you sent your broken car back to headquarters in Brooklyn, NY.  They'd send you a new car and it MIGHT be the 'bird.  I have one at home that I need to photograph. 

The orange metallic car is the oldest 'regular' car.  It was part of the TycoPro line which had a solid brass chassis.  There's also a very clear color variation available, where this car is the lighter than the other, which is almost FK5 burnt orange.  The red/white/blue cars were originally TycoPro/TycoPro2 cars (have no idea what the difference was) and ended its life on the Curve Hugger chassis.  The silver car came in blister pack (as opposed to the earlier cars' "bubbles") and was exclusively on the Curve Hugger chassis. 

Regarding the cars in the post above, the original yellow and Petty birds came on HP7 chassis while the orange and late yellow cars came on the much faster 440X2 chassis.  They're all interchangeable if you use the wider "pan" chassis as opposed to the "indy" narrow chassis. 

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on December 26, 2011, 12:15:03 PMThe oldest car is a sky blue car with a flat black hood and 43's on the doors and roof.  There's one car on eBay now that apparently came in a set, but lore has it that it was only available through warrranty if you sent your broken car back to headquarters in Brooklyn, NY.  They'd send you a new car and it MIGHT be the 'bird. I have one at home that I need to photograph.

i saved this first photo off of ebay a long time ago, but never did figure out if the car really came this way. a photo of one on a full card, without the staples, might go a long way towards confirming if this is genuine or not. i recall the seller was asking crazy money for it.

the second photo is a second mattel era release superbird, which may have been a toys r us exclusive. released in 2005, this set came with two chassis, and four bodies, and is shown in the last photo.

tycovintagepair.jpg

hw baurtwell ml21036y.JPG

baurtwellset.jpg   
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

modern releases of the old afx car. the first two (red, purple chrome) came in johnny lightning packaging, after which the brand name was changed to autoworld. they come in the old afx-style clamshell, with some releases also available in blisterpack. the "x-traction" name is used on both.

there are subtle changes made to the mold. door handles were added to several versions. the race car window "retainers" were removed, and and the gas cap relocated to the normal location, on the street versions. the out of place looking engine added to some hoods is a more obvious change from the old version. wiper blades were painted on the black car.

DSC_b12.JPG

DSC_b11.JPG

DSC_b8.JPG

DSC_b7.JPG   
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

SuperJim

We just had some of these made. Did 48 of them in 1:18 die cast, to look just as we saw the car at the 2010 Mopar Nat's.

Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php