News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What header/starter combo are you running?

Started by madmike, March 14, 2011, 07:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

'68 Charger, 440, 4 speed, PS, non-AC.  I've got Hedman Street headers pn HED-78030 and a Powermaster mini-starter PWM-9300.  When I bought the car, it was a roller, and the starter came with the car.  I installed the engine, and hung the headers on the engine, no problems.  I tried to install the starter this weekend, it was a no go.  I tried installing the starter first, then the headers.  I tried installing the headers (they fit fine) and then the starter, no go.  I tried to install the header and the starter together, and it was a no go.  It seems that there just isn't enough room for the header tubes and starter and torsion bar.

The headers are supposed to fit the car with a stock size starter, so I assume they should clear a mini starter.  I don't have a stock style starter, to compare my moini starter to, but mini generally means smaller, right?

This combination of parts should fit easily, but it doesn't.  The quickest thing I think I can do is to install stock style cast iron manifolds, which I don't have, and didn't really want to use.  Has anybody else had a similar problem?  What combination of parts are YOU using?

Thanks,
Mike

MoparSam

I've got Hedman's and a starter for a '93 Dodge 1500 and they fit great. I'm not sure about aftermarket starters' size comparison. The headers are very close to the torsions and I had to "modify" to stop the scrubbing. The stock starter and Hedman's will be touching but not impossible. You might have to put them both in at the same time with the header lose. I did away with the PS unit and went manual at the same time as the starter change and there is considerable weight and room savings. Oh and post some pics!
'68 Charger R/T 440
'74 D-100 Adventurer 318
'75 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'78 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'67 Dart GT (Soon 440)
'05 Ram 1500 4.7
1/2 '71 Dart

Hemidog

I've got TTI Headers with my original style starter and 1" torsion bars, and there is no clearance issues.

firefighter3931

When i first got the car it had a set of Headmans with a factory smallblock starter....fit fine. A friend tried installing the same headers with a BB starter and they would not clear. There is a difference in size between a 318 starter & 440 starter as we found out....not much but when it comes to headers every little bit helps. If you go with a factory starter you need to use the smalller version or modify the headers.  :yesnod:

Those old Headmans of mine are now residing in a members car and he used the mini starter from DB Electrical and it fits/works great !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71charger_fan

With my 400, hedmans, and a mini starter, the driver's side header and the starter had to go in at the same time. I was a giant PITA. There was plenty of room for both when they were both bolted in place, but you couldn't have one bolted up and remove the other. The header formed a bit of a pocket forward of the starter. I'd unbolt the starter, move it forward a bit, undo the header then it was kind of like a puzzle, but it was possible to find just the right angle on things to get the starter out without completely removing the header from the car. I've since switch to Schumachers.

madmike

Yep... I did try to install the starter and header at the same time, and it's not even close.  I used to have a '73 Dodge Dart Sport with a 360 four speed, and I've got a '73 Chevy K10 454 four speed, and I had Hedman's in both of them, no issues, so this isn't my first go around installing headers. 

I may have to break down and get something else...maybe TTI's but the price!  Sheesh!

BananaDan

70 Charger 440-4bbl, 727 auto.  I have the Denso mini-torque starter and Hooker Super Comp headers.  There was a minor clearance issue with the headers, my body shop had to grind a small notch in the frame rail on the driver's side and add reinforcement (< .25").  Before that my body shop owner called Hooker to find out why they don't fit, Hooker's response was tough sh*t, they fit.  No they don't, yes they do....  you get the picture.  I will never buy them again.  I heard afterwards that TTI's fit well, I'd probably go in that direction if I ever had to do it again.  Being a member of this site to ask advice before I bought the Hooker's would have been a smart move also!   :brickwall:

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

MoparSam

Quote from: madmike on March 15, 2011, 12:42:38 PM
Yep... I did try to install the starter and header at the same time, and it's not even close.  I used to have a '73 Dodge Dart Sport with a 360 four speed, and I've got a '73 Chevy K10 454 four speed, and I had Hedman's in both of them, no issues, so this isn't my first go around installing headers.  

I may have to break down and get something else...maybe TTI's but the price!  Sheesh!

Hmm that is strange. I wonder if those headers are wrong or if the straight gear has something to do with it. Do you have your starter length measurement? When I get home I can give you a stock starter measurement and I can measure the distance between the tubes and the starter mounting pad.
'68 Charger R/T 440
'74 D-100 Adventurer 318
'75 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'78 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'67 Dart GT (Soon 440)
'05 Ram 1500 4.7
1/2 '71 Dart

dstryr

I have Dougs D452 headers using a mid 90's dakota starter.  Great fit w/no clearancing for my 11" manual bellhousing or torsion bars, etc. 

Fired for the first time in the car on Sunday...WICKED!!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

westcoastdodge

hooker 2" headers and ministarter,used to have the full size starter fitted but that burned out :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

bill440rt

I have TTI's with a mini-starter from Herb's. Like other members, it is a puzzle. You need to put them in together like a puzzle. Once they're in, they're in.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Hedman headers and the starter my Charger was born with.

madmike

Just because I enjoy installing the drivers side header and starter together, by myself, I decided to try again, this time with a stock starter.  Although the interference issues were somewhat different, the basic issue is the same:  the driver side header DOESN'T FIT!

I called Hedman, spoke with them, emailed them my invoice, photos with the mini-starter and stock starter and related interference issues.  I had cut the header mounting flange, to clear my dipstick oil tube.  Because of that cut out (which is totally un-related to my fitment problem), they said they wouldn't help me out in any way.  They did offer to sell me their Elite model, for like around $355, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy a more expensive header from the same company.  The one I bought should have fit, and I can live with minor dimpling to make it work, but this is WAY beyond that...

Looks like I'm gonna have to call TTI...

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 14, 2011, 11:39:12 AM
There is a difference in size between a 318 starter & 440 starter as we found out....

yes, larger fields.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TK73

We're doing 440 - Hooker comps in a '73 with PS.

Gonna go '90s small starter.

If it doesn't fit my Viking friend Sven has a reeaaalllly big hammer.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!