News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Looks awesome John.  :cheers:

Make sure you paint the dipstick handle. They were closer to the color of the air cleaner lid than the engine color. They were probably dipped.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 13, 2015, 11:48:07 AM

Make sure you paint the dipstick handle. They were closer to the color of the air cleaner lid than the engine color. They were probably dipped.
THANKS Jim!
Speaking of the air cleaner, What color is the base supposed to be on a Six Pack?
There are a lot of black parts on the Superbirds!
Just in the engine compartment is the air cleaner base, engine pulleys, fan, radiator, brake booster, front shocks and more!
Does anyone have the factory assembly instructions on the Superbird or Road Runner showing component paint info?
MJ

Mopar John

LEAF SPRINGS!
With the front suspension in place it was time to get the back end of the Superbird suspension restored.
This would include the rear end, rear brakes and leaf springs.
In this installment I will cover the leaf springs.
The first picture shows the springs taken apart and prepped for paint.
The second picture is of the main leafs also ready for paint.
The third picture shows a close up of one of the restored spring assemblies.
The last picture shows an overall of one of the assemblies.
MJ

green69rt

Did you have to get the old springs re-arched??  Just wondering how those old springs hold up.

Mopar John

Jim,
I added the dipstick handle to my list.
Then I went out to the shop and raised the hood and took it back off my list! :icon_smile_big:
Troy Angelly must have taken care of it later.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: green69rt on November 13, 2015, 04:11:08 PM
Did you have to get the old springs re-arched??  Just wondering how those old springs hold up.
No, we didn't have to have the leafs re-arched.
We took a look at how the Superbird sat prior to restoration and felt good about the stance of the car.
MJ

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on November 13, 2015, 06:28:10 PM

Jim,
Then I went out to the shop and raised the hood and took it back off my list! :icon_smile_big:
MJ

The whole exposed part gets dipped and not in engine color. Looks closer to the air cleaner lid color.....a part that Fram supplied Chrysler. Frank/Roger have that paint nailed.

I have a chart somewhere on different black shades.....I'll look for it.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 16, 2015, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on November 13, 2015, 06:28:10 PM

Jim,
MJ

The whole exposed part gets dipped and not in engine color. Looks closer to the air cleaner lid color.....a part that Fram supplied Chrysler. Frank/Roger have that paint nailed.

I have a chart somewhere on different black shades.....I'll look for it.
Thanks Jim!

Mopar John

REAR END ASSEMBLY PART 1!
With the leaf springs ready it was time to get the rear end assembly restored and installed.
This batch of pictures show the 8 3/4 housing painted and ready for assembly!
MJ

Mopar John

REAR END ASSEMBLY PART 2!
We continue on here with the backing plates.
I found a nice set and the first two pictures show them cleaned up.
The last two pictures show them restored with the restored wheel cylinders attached.
MJ

Mopar John

REAR END ASSEMBLY PART 3!
The first picture is of the NOS 11 X 2 1/2 brake shoes Mopar part number 3420149.
The second and third pictures show the backing plates with the brakes installed.
If you look close you will see the NOS emergency brake cables attached Mopar part numbers 2808590 and 2808594.
The last picture is of a housing end with the new axle seal installed.
MJ

Mopar John

REAR END ASSEMBLY PART 4!
This batch of three pictures show the rear end now assembled and installed in the Superbird!
The pictures are focused on the newly restored center section.
MJ

Mopar John

REAR END ASSEMBLY FINAL!
The first two pictures show the restored axles with backing plates and brake assemblies installed.
The last two pictures show the rear drums restored and painted red for the Ralley wheels. ENJOY!
MJ
P.S. The brakes all had to be redone as I later found out that the Superbirds which had front
disc brakes came with 10 X 2 1/2 rear brakes and not 11 X 2 1/2 rear brakes! :brickwall:

thehemikid

In other words your F-tag has 083 instead of 082 for the rear end option.?

How common/uncommon is a front drum Bird?

Hemi Runner

Did you add the inspection paint markings to the bottom of the center section?

green69rt

Quote from: Mopar John on November 20, 2015, 03:46:47 PM
                                             REAR END ASSEMBLY FINAL!
The first two pictures show the restored axles with backing plates and brake assemblies installed.
The last two pictures show the rear drums restored and painted red for the Ralley wheels. ENJOY!
MJ
P.S. The brakes all had to be redone as I later found out that the Superbirds which had front
disc brakes came with 10 X 2 1/2 rear brakes and not 11 X 2 1/2 rear brakes! :brickwall:

I'm pretty sure my old 69 came with 10" rear drums so this make sense  The 11.5" came on the front.  All of them required constant adjustment in spite of the self adjusters.

birdsandbees

'70 Superbird broadcast sheet brake code 041 with power brakes had 10" rear drums and front discs (it's not on the fender tag). Back in '69 drums all around with power brakes had 11" rears, at least on my 'Bee.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

I had to look thru the FSM to refresh my memory.  It lists only Coronet body style with V8 or H.D. as 10" and "Police Special & Heavy Duty" as 11".   Then it goes on to give the brake shoe width for standard as 2 1/2" front and back.  Police Special and Heavy Duty as 3 1/2" front and 2 1/2" rear.   Doesn't mention any difference between manual and power brakes.  Doesn't say anything about disc/drum combo's so I would guess that thehemikid chart is what you have to go with.

birdsandbees

Okay, that code. 052 on the tag for my car with 3.55 gears. Not sure what John's is, but we're clouding up his nice resto thread.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

thehemikid

I thought it appropriate to ask/discuss while at this point of brakes in Johns restoration of his Bird, of a little deeper info of "why" the change from 11 to 10 was correct based on for eg a code. Not only for myself to know but for whoever else may be following this thread for eg Troy who said he will be while rebuilding his Bird.  Another eg, if John would've known ahead of time he might not have bought the 11' s stuff, and would save someone else the error/$$ in advance too.

The timing of the brakes in John's thread coinciding with a friend calling asking about info of a bird for sale having the 082 option on the F-tag sparking my interest, research, & eventual question to this thread.  Just nice to know why and if of relative info in one spot, ...with out to much cloud.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on November 20, 2015, 03:46:47 PM
                                             ....The brakes all had to be redone as I later found out that the Superbirds which had front

Yeap.. A common,misunderstood thing on mopar brakes.. I think the only cars that came with 11" rears with front disc brakes in '70 were the AAR-T/A's..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: thehemikid on November 21, 2015, 12:18:55 AM

I have the "052" on my fender tag which is 3:55 Sure Grip wth 8 3/4 rear end, disc brakes up front and 10" drums out back.
The Superbird has been switched over to this later in the restoration!

Sorry for the delay in my reply, we were at the MCACN show with our 70 GTX race car and 1969 Schwinn Slik Chik bike.
Great to see all the site members there!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Hemi Runner on November 20, 2015, 07:26:18 PM
Did you add the inspection paint markings to the bottom of the center section?
YES!
You will see those in a future update!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 21, 2015, 10:58:56 AM
Okay, that code. 052 on the tag for my car with 3.55 gears. Not sure what John's is, but we're clouding up his nice resto thread.
I have just posted that mine is a 052 also!
Your not clouding up my thread just adding confirmation that I needed to switch to the 10 X 2 1/2 rear drums.
Thanks! MJ