News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 concept Daytona?

Started by bull, November 21, 2011, 02:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I hardly ever post here but I thought I'd share this since I couldn't find anything about it while searching the site. Sorry if it's a repost. It's kind of a useless link though since there's no real info on it... and it's in a different language.

http://www.fotosdecarros.com/dodge/1970-dodge-charger-r-t-daytona-concept-car-different-nose-fvl-bw/

A383Wing

the Watermellon car?...same nose as regular Daytona, just leaded in...chrome loop bumper on front, no rear window plug

bull

Was it an actual Chrysler creation? And what's with that "bumper" in the front? Looks like a 2 mph bumper for shopping carts.

Budnicks

:hah: I would make room in the garage for it... :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

moparstuart

Quote from: bull on November 21, 2011, 03:10:09 PM
Was it an actual Chrysler creation? And what's with that "bumper" in the front? Looks like a 2 mph bumper for shopping carts.
70 had different bumper laws than 69 .  Mike G , dayclona built a copy of the car . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Golden-Arm

those "different bumper laws" didnt seem to bother plymouth..... :scratchchin:

UFO

There was a discussion regarding it,IIRC no hard evidence to the builder was found.

DC_1

I always found this mythical creature to be interesting. It's so hard to believe the true story of how it came to be hasn't surfaced. You would think with so many people who must have come in contact with it, whether they be from Chrysler or the possible dealership that built it, by now someone would have confirmed its origin. It is after all a very unmistakeable car.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Budnicks on November 21, 2011, 03:17:11 PM
:hah: I would make room in the garage for it... :Twocents:

I thought I would too :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

I love that you have a watermelon displayed with it   :2thumbs:

richRTSE

found this art for sale for $75....you get a commision Mike?

gtx6970

Mike,
to this day , it's THE best looking one of the bunch you were associated with.( or were you ? )

Those 'other' cars, ,,,, sorry not a fan

Daytona Guy

Quote from: richRTSE on November 22, 2011, 03:32:59 PM
found this art for sale for $75....you get a commision Mike?

Who does  this art work?

Dane

A383Wing

yea...I was wondering that also

held1823

a similar style to these, but quite a bit more "refined" looking. that artist has some serious talent.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

bull

Maybe I'm wrong but at some point in time I heard that the initial purpose for the wrap-around bumper on the 70 was so that it could be interchanged easily for a Daytona nose. :shruggy: If so, why couldn't there be at least one 70 concept Daytona built by Chrysler?

And here's a real basic question related to the topic: why did they go through with building 1,000 Superbirds in 1970 and not one Daytona?

Ghoste

I think, and I'm probably wrong but, I think the Daytona was originally meant to be released on the 70 but when the Talladega came out there was a need to move the schedule up.  Remember these cars were styled years ahead of their release.
As for 2000 Birds and no Daytonas in 70, the Daytona was already legally allowed to race, the 71 version was in the works, why would you build a couple more thousand money losers if you didnt need to?

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2011, 06:57:27 AM
I think, and I'm probably wrong but, I think the Daytona was originally meant to be released on the 70 but when the Talladega came out there was a need to move the schedule up.  Remember these cars were styled years ahead of their release.
As for 2000 Birds and no Daytonas in 70, the Daytona was already legally allowed to race, the 71 version was in the works, why would you build a couple more thousand money losers if you didnt need to?

think i read something along them lines also ! about the Daytona was  originaly going to  be a  70 model   :yesnod:
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2011, 06:57:27 AM

bingo. the daytona was never intended to be a regular production model.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2011, 04:31:41 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but at some point in time I heard that the initial purpose for the wrap-around bumper on the 70 was so that it could be interchanged easily for a Daytona nose. :shruggy: If so, why couldn't there be at least one 70 concept Daytona built by Chrysler?

And here's a real basic question related to the topic: why did they go through with building 1,000 Superbirds in 1970 and not one Daytona?

The loop bumper themes ('70 Charger and '70 Coronet) would have been finalized before the Daytona project was underway - and when you think of it, they were a precursor to the 1971 Dodge and Plymouth bumpers.  So those were things that were in the pipeline.    Styling was not designing ANYTHING with the race group in mind.     If the race guys had gone to styling and said, "We need you to design a Charger fender that could be adapted to a nose cone, they would have been LAUGHED at - no joke.    So I believe that it was more coincidental that both the Coronet and Charger fenders were adaptable to the wing cars.  

As to why no '70 production Daytonas, the original 1969 model built enabled the cars to race for three years, 1969, 1970, 1971.     The '69 Daytona came out so late in the model year that Ford complained that it was really a '70 model and Chrysler should have built more of them.     Had the Daytona been deemed a a 1970 model, the program would have been more complicated and costly to Chrysler.

Ghoste

On that note, I recall reading that styling was fairly pissed within the Dodge group when they weren't allowed to mess with the Daytona and even more so after they saw it.  Also seem to recall that Plymouth stylists made political waves to get their hand in the Super Bird to a small degree and hence the laid back uprights, bolder graphics, and slightly different nose?

richRTSE

moparstuart

learical1

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2011, 09:59:27 AM
On that note, I recall reading that styling was fairly pissed within the Dodge group when they weren't allowed to mess with the Daytona and even more so after they saw it.  Also seem to recall that Plymouth stylists made political waves to get their hand in the Super Bird to a small degree and hence the laid back uprights, bolder graphics, and slightly different nose?

The laid back uprights were used because the 'bubble' back window on the 'Bird wasn't as aerodynamic as the Daytona's back window.  To make up for it, the 'Bird received more side area on the wing, hopefully making it handle better.  Stylists had nuttin' to do with that, other than the decal on it.  The stylists did cause the center hood peak to extend onto the nose, rather than end on the hood extension. 
Bruce