News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else waiting (impatiently) for this REV-N-NATOR to start selling?

Started by bull, November 28, 2011, 04:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've been in touch with these guys through email since last March. The new Street Fire box I bought is still sitting on the work bench because I don't know if I should return it and wait for this Rev-N-Nator thing to go on sale soon or assume they are just teasing me about actually selling them. I'd really like to go with this new thing but they just keep testing it and sending me emails about how awesome it is. :brickwall:

http://www.thertgarage.com/products.html

Their last email: "There have been many delays, that have been out of our control. We have 10,000 street miles on out test units with zero failures. There has been alot of time invested into the firmware to make this compatible for everyones combinations. We just finished up our first round of dyno tests last week. The results turned out very good. They turned out so good, we now have two more rounds of dynos set up at to more different facility's, so we can get some average numbers for people. We spent 10 hrs on a dyno with a pump gas 440, did extensive back to back testing between a MSD, a Mopar orange box and the REV-N-NATOR. I attached some dyno sheets for you to view. Can we gain this much power over MSD? Well this shocked us, we knew trouncing on the Mopar orange box should be easy. This is why we need to do two more separate dynos on to more motors. So we are going fast as we can to get our product out, just want it to be, the best it can."

Thanks Troy & Laura

FLG

Eh,

Dont like the sheets, wheres the rest of the info? What about engine specs?

ChargerST

hmm, sounds almost too good to be true if nothing else other than the ignition was changed.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HPP

I find it VERY hard to believe a simple ignition swap produced that big of a change. Provided the base sampling was up to par on everything, I don't see how it realistically could happen. My personal experience between a Mopar, Jacobs, MSD, and Crane system showed very little difference in e.t. or m.p.h. in my drag car, which was tuned about as sharply as you could get it. Now, if you dredged up some old, out of tune, fouled plug, overcarbed, haven't started it in years type of set up as your base line, then maybe.

elacruze

Ignition performance is pretty much dictated by the Coil. All the module does is tell the coil when to fire. Provided that the module is sufficient to charge and dwell the coil properly, there will be no difference in performance.

I would suggest that these dyno runs were not made with similar ignition timing, or the same coil, or rotor phasing, or something simple. There is NEVER that much power in an ignition system unless there are uncorrected faults elsewhere.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

maxwellwedge

True - All an optimized ignition does is let you utilize the power that is already in the engine.

ChargerST

If you look at the dyno sheets the MSD runs with the best A/F ratio (around 14) - MP and Rev-N-Nator are much fatter. MSD uses much less fuel too! Volumetric efficiency is pretty much the same on all 3 sheets.

Ghoste

elacruze

Quote from: ChargerST on November 28, 2011, 12:50:37 PM
If you look at the dyno sheets the MSD runs with the best A/F ratio (around 14) - MP and Rev-N-Nator are much fatter. MSD uses much less fuel too! Volumetric efficiency is pretty much the same on all 3 sheets.

yeah precisely. They leaned out the MSD and MP to kill the power. Ignition doesn't lean out mixtures, Carburetors and Shills do.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bull

Well, I posted the sheets because I thought they'd be of interest, which they obviously are. ;) My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does. As long as it performs similarly, can be mounted the same and looks similar to an MP ECM, is well-priced and has a decent rev limiter, it's not unlikely I'll buy one. If you believe there's little difference to be made by swapping out an EI module than you look to other reasons for doing it.

For my application (4 speed) the only reason I would run an MSD over an MP box is for the advantage of a rev limiter so if this thing can look like an MP and deliver like an MSD, why not use it?

elacruze

Quote from: bull on November 28, 2011, 01:12:53 PM
Well, I posted the sheets because I thought they'd be of interest, which they obviously are. ;) My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does. As long as it performs similarly, can be mounted the same and looks similar to an MP ECM, is well-priced and has a decent rev limiter, it's not unlikely I'll buy one. If you believe there's little difference to be made by swapping out an EI module than you look to other reasons for doing it.

For my application (4 speed) the only reason I would run an MSD over an MP box is for the advantage of a rev limiter so if this thing can look like an MP and deliver like an MSD, why not use it?

FWIW I've been tracking their availability as well, although I've ordered the FBO module which is very similar if not...exactly the same...?

I'm in no way trying to say I don't think it will work or that it isn't worthy, just that their data/advertising is bad. I'd try one myself.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

HPP

My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does.

For these reasons alone it is a real neat item and would cool to have a stock looking module for these features. That wouldn't stop me from getting one if I want a stock looking set up with in integrated rev control.

Will it add 66 horses, no steenkin way.

bull

Quote from: elacruze on November 28, 2011, 03:23:19 PM
FWIW I've been tracking their availability as well, although I've ordered the FBO module which is very similar if not...exactly the same...?

I'm in no way trying to say I don't think it will work or that it isn't worthy, just that their data/advertising is bad. I'd try one myself.

Quote from: HPP on November 28, 2011, 04:06:16 PM
My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does.

For these reasons alone it is a real neat item and would cool to have a stock looking module for these features. That wouldn't stop me from getting one if I want a stock looking set up with in integrated rev control.

Will it add 66 horses, no steenkin way.

Honestly I was surprised and then quickly uninterested in the hp claims when I saw his results. I looked through them too trying to find some control data but didn't find it. If anything he loses credibility with the vague claims, instead of just sticking with touting the obvious benefits, he kind of went off into left field with this stuff. Between this and the delays my optimism is waning. I still think it would be a cool device but then I don't know if I want to be one of his first Guinea pigs either.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Apparently these silly people are finally going to release this thing. I got an email announcing it today thanking me for my "patients" (am I a doctor?) that uses a lot of HLPAG-like bold/colored letters complete with an exclamation point at the end of almost every sentence. ::)

"The R/T Garage announces the release of the......

REV-N-NATOR !

We have truly appreciated your patients and above all, your support through the development of the REV-N-NATOR!  We have not forgotten anyone.

Because you are on the early list of contacts, we would like to make sure you don't miss out on the first production roll out!

You will be honored at the $149.00 intro price! You are some of the first to know of our production availability! We will begin entering your order information after June 4th.  When order information is received and complete, we will begin shipping!

THESE WILL BE SOLD OUT!

We look forward to hearing from you, so we can get your REV-N-NATOR on its way!!  Again, thank you for your patients and support!

Sincerely,  TROY and  LAURA  at The R/T Garage

You can email us at rev.n.nator@gmail.com  612 326-6722 or 952 356-4969"

Ghoste

bull

Probably not. Too many red flags. I'll let someone else risk it.

If I do anything other than an MP orange box it'll probably be an FBO setup, although I'm not excited about having to buy a 6-piece set.

Musicman

I have been following the progress of the Rev-N-Nator over on Moparts. Seems like a decent effort on their part (Troy & Laura). More options to choose from are always welcomed as far as I'm concerned, so good for them. As long as the price point doesn't get out of hand, they may do just fine. Of course, as with anything, time and open road testing will tell the tale.

As of last month... FBO added an adjustable rev limiter to their new high output HEI unit, the one that comes in a $$$ Billet Mopar style ECU box. I believe this new unit uses a dial type adjuster, as opposed to preset buttons however. They are sold as a 2 piece kit now(ECU & Coil). The ballast resistor is no longer used obviously, but apparently the coils they sold previously with their A688 kits are not quite up to snuff for use with the HEI style unit, so a new coil is shipped with the HEI style ECU. Their advertising is still outdated on their web page, but that is the latest word from Don. Still $$$ though simply because the HEI unit is housed in a fancy Billet (Mopar style) ECU Housing. Most HEI units also have a greater sensitivity to starting voltages as well, which can be a problem for some. I know Don and his guys were working on this issue, due to some negative feedback that arose when they first introduced the new units.

I had one of the old FBO A688 ECU's crap out on me last weekend. Probably my fault however... I swapped it out with an old Orange Box just moments before heading out on a weekend trip. At the time of the swap I noticed that the old Orange Box wasn't grounded for shit (maybe why it was running so crappy), but I was in a rush so I just swapped the ECU units one for one. The car ran frigg'n great with the FBO unit on there, but I only got about 100 miles up the road before it started acting up. Fortunately I still had the old Orange Box with me in the trunk, so I bolted to the firewall, but at the engine ground strap this time (just to be sure), and plugged it in... good to go.

bull

Just got off the phone with a guy at FBO. Yes, they still require that you use their coil with the setup because he said they need a constant 14 volts from the battery for it to run properly. FBO Coil and ECU = $239. No ballast requires so if you want one for show you have remove the resistors and solder in a jumper wire. Not sure what I would do with that yet if I were to buy an FBO. I ended up getting the stupid four-prong ballast harness, which looks wrong anyway on a 68. And I don't want to cut any wires. :shruggy: The rev limiter as described is a one-click per 1,000 RPM externally adjustable dial.

On a sidenote, ever wonder why MP doesn't get its $4it together and make a decent orange box with a rev limiter? Me too.

Rolling_Thunder

Bull -  because MP are full of dinosaurs who aren't interested in making money - they think they are back in the Direct Connection days and they are the only game in town...    just look at their prices...    extremely high while the aftermarket is surpassing them easily in both quality and price point...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Musicman

Quote from: bull on June 01, 2012, 06:13:23 PM
Just got off the phone with a guy at FBO. Yes, they still require that you use their coil with the setup because he said they need a constant 14 volts from the battery for it to run properly. FBO Coil and ECU = $239. No ballast requires so if you want one for show you have remove the resistors and solder in a jumper wire. Not sure what I would do with that yet if I were to buy an FBO. I ended up getting the stupid four-prong ballast harness, which looks wrong anyway on a 68. And I don't want to cut any wires. :shruggy: The rev limiter as described is a one-click per 1,000 RPM externally adjustable dial.

On a sidenote, ever wonder why MP doesn't get its $4it together and make a decent orange box with a rev limiter? Me too.

I think Don means that the new coils can handle a constant 14 Volts during operation (alternator output), where the old coils "with the ballast resistor in line to reduce the voltage" were designed to handle closer to 10. Either that or he was talking about the HEI unit itself, which unlike the old MP units, does require full voltage for proper operation.

You could always dummy a ballast resistor to make it look like it was in use (even though it has been bypassed) if you wanted to.

1 click per 1000 rpm, but if I remember correctlyt, Don told me that it could be placed anywhere between the clicks as well for fine tuning.

I've found the old orange box to be a good reliable unit, but it has it's limitations... especially when rpms get above 3500.

bull

I don't think it was Don I talked to. I've noticed lately that a bunch of these vendors are not answering their phones or emails lately, I assume because of the start of the car show season. Anyway, this guy said they don't want to limit the voltage. He did say from the battery though so I don't really know what that meant.

Tom Q

Snake oil...just like FBO

I have an FBO box as a paperweight, they do not live up to their hype, in 2 different cars the boxes ran hot & overheated the coil causing no restart conditions. Yes dear they were well grounded etc etc etc etc...

Boxes were installed per FBO instructions, the electrical systems are fine in both cars, replacing the boxes solved the problems.  We used vintage Direct Connection chrome boxes-note-no high rpm timing retard was found with these boxes.

Musicman

Quote from: bull on June 01, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
I don't think it was Don I talked to. I've noticed lately that a bunch of these vendors are not answering their phones or emails lately.

I usually talk to him using the CHAT feature on their web site.

Quote from: Tom Q on June 02, 2012, 04:51:35 AM
the boxes ran hot & overheated the coil causing no restart conditions. Yes dear they were well grounded etc etc etc etc...

This was not the issue that I had...  and Nacho will tell you how his last 2 chrome boxes failed... everyone has failures.
The old boxes are no longer made anyway so it's just good conversation at this point.

My problem with a lot of this newer stuff is the cost... paying CD Ignition prices for standard items.

So what about the REV-N-NATOR... if they're being shipped now, then it shouldn't be to long before we start hearing some initial feedback.

b5blue

Musicman

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Musicman on June 02, 2012, 08:25:53 AM

Quote from: Tom Q on June 02, 2012, 04:51:35 AM
the boxes ran hot & overheated the coil causing no restart conditions. Yes dear they were well grounded etc etc etc etc...

This was not the issue that I had...  and Nacho will tell you how his last 2 chrome boxes failed... everyone has failures.
The old boxes are no longer made anyway so it's just good conversation at this point.

as I stated on my other thread ( in car guys discussion, since I didn't think it was really an ELECTRICAL discussion ):

to buy or not to buy, that is the question

I liked A LOT chromed box and FBO... the time they worked! ( the one what just last longed 24 hours was really GREAT LOL )... and I was ready to get another Chromed, but this Rev-N-Nator release email stoped me from buy the Chromed and think on get or not the Rev-N-Nator
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

bull

Quote from: b5blue on June 02, 2012, 09:31:20 AM
Here ya go Bull.....problem solved!  :lol:

I'm going to try NOS instead. Just pour it in the tank and go. :2thumbs:

Musicman

I would appear that when attempting, or forcing High Performance gains from a standard style ECU's the old rule of physics still applies... 
"The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long"

Nacho-RT74

cuda66273

I'm impressed that several of you guy's have actually questioned the claims of massive HP gains with the Rev-n-ator.  I had a discussion with Troy on this subject....

Look at the dyno sheets on his webpage if no changes were made then why do the A/F ratios change?
There's more in those sheets so study them and you'll see what I mean.

We've tested or attempted to test 2 of them and were unable to complete testing on either so no results available until we can complete the testing. We can tell you and this is verified in a discussion with Troy, you can drive through the REV Limiter it causes cylinders to miss-fire but when set at the low end we were able to run the distributor machine to 6000. I have no further comments on the Rev-N-Nator.

Our HRR688 IS NOT A HEImodule.  It's built on a Level 5 Electronics circuit board.  Engineered by Chris Schroeder (Crane Electronics, Daytona-Sensors and others) Chris is an automotive electronics genius and has been engineering and building exceptional automotive electronics for over 25 years.

The HRR688 uses an Algorithm type Rev Limiter similar to MSD, Crane and many others and is what is commonly known by many as a Soft-Touch.  You can not drive through this Rev Limiter if you set it at 6000 you will not be able to push the motor above that number.  The cylinders cut out in this algorithm  pattern so they don't drop any 2 cylinders together in the firing order.

Coils are designed to work with whatever type of ignition system you're using, MSD Had the Blaster coils developed by Andover in Indiana years ago to work best with their CD Ignition (Capacitor Discharge) of course like most American Company's they've now taken that design offshore to produce it cheaper and along with the quality more American Jobs have been lost.

We stock coils in various configurations to optimize the output potential of different types of ignition control systems, .6, 1.5, 3.0, 3.5 Ohm and the square type epoxy coils for CD Ignition.  As was stated in this post, coils are specific to the application and although most will interchange as a temporary patch the system will be optimized when using the correct coil for the application.  Unless you have a distributor machine and a way of measuring output under max load and normal cruise you should stick with the manufacturers recommendation when it comes to coils.

You can run a Daytona CD-1 or CD-Pro on a stock coil but it will overheat very quickly as it's not designed as an Inverter. On the other side you can run a CD coil with a stock ECU and it'll run, not very well but it will run the engine.

The FBO Coil that we've used for years and was designed and built by Andover for our ECU in the USA and is an excellent coil for it's specific application but not the best for the HRR688 Box, will it work? ...Of course, will it maintain max output? No, the HRR688 box will cause the coil to overheat because of the increased voltage and fall off.  Coil temps and voltage drops were also mentioned earlier in this post (Good Job!).

The recent article in a Mopar magazine in my opinion is skewed only a few columns of the full Dyno sheet are shown so there's no way to know what was actually done to the engine to get the numbers.  Did they use the same coil for each test, was that the best coil for the ECU used?

My experience with print media is if you buy the advertising they'll print anything you want so I put very little to no faith in what they publish.

Other statements to clarify:

I am the only one who answers the Chat Live system
I answer the phone 99.5% of the time, I'm here from 6am to 4pm and most mornings I'm in at 4am servicing our European dealers, occasionally I'll take a 30 minute lunch break only maybe 4 times a year.

Last year we curved and repaired over 2000 distributors, I think we have a reasonably good understanding of your ignition system.

If you have any issues or questions on our products just jump on the Live Chat, email me or call, I'll answer your questions quickly and correctly so no miss-information gets into the Internet Rumor mill.

rtgarage

Hello,
    We here at the R/T Garage have tried to stay away from the online bashing. But in this case when someone is flat out lying trying to make him and his product look superior AND LIE about our product THE REV-N-NATOR!!  We will start from the top of Dons bashing from FBO. He says look at the dyno sheets and air fuel ratio's? If any of you have been to Moparts you saw the early Dyno sheets we posted prematurly. They were true back to back tests, the motor had 32 degress of timing. What we found out a week after the pulls, we picked up about 3 degress of timing that acounted for the bigger numbers over MSD (now corrected). Also the dyno A/F numbers were all over because he was having troubles with the readings on his dyno at the time. We posted the dynosheets because, ya we were very excited at the time, and 2 years into R & D. Looking back, we should have held all info until all testing was completed. Like I said you can follow all the bumps and bruises  from early on in Moparts. Not to mention you can find out plenty about FBOs past and reputation!
     As for him testing the Rev-n-nator and saying he could not complete testing & said you can drive thru our rev-limiter? B.S. (if you notice he says distributor machine) He is using a bench simulater. The Rev-n-nator has been in hundreds of real world engine dyno's and chassis dyno's!!! The rev-limiter is spot on and works perfect!! Most rev-limiters shut down all sparks once they exceed the rev-limit setting. On a bench top tester you will see we still have spark past the limit setting, we did this on purpose and works flawlessly and will not drive thru in the real world on a running engine!!
     Now we can skip down to his comments about Mopar Muscle Nov. 2012 3,2,1, ignition. Keith Dunneck was an indendent tester that did an article for Mopar Muscle. He offered to test our box early on, and you can read about this on Moparts. Keith is a very stand up guy, was paid nothing and has never asked for anything!! Mopar muscle asked him if he would test true plug in factory type ignition box's. Now I suppose he could of mentioned the other black box you see, was an older FBO unit, that did not perform very well!!( His latest box was unvailable at the time of testing.)
    Next, we have never paid or run an advertisment in Mopar Muscle yet! But soon we will. So needless to say, they did not run that article because we advertise in them. Mopar Collector Guide ran articles about us before we advertised with them also.
    Like I said, really do not like getting in these pissing match's. Im not going around in chat rooms trying to find FBO and rip on his product. My wife and I take pride in our product, thats why we have a 3 year warranty or money back guarantee!!! You call, you will reach my wife or me. Troy 612-327-6722 or Laura 952-356-4969. You can check our website out at (thertgarage)  We have 400 + units in cars with awesome results!! I have been in the mopar resto business for 25 years and a die hard drag racer that runs a mid 9 sec 4000lbs 4spd charger on 10 street tires!! The Rev-n-nator has been thru hundreds of engine and chassis dyno's and have kicked butt over any factory Chrysler box. Not to mention who qualified #1 in the fast class, Dave Duddack with a Rev-n-nator. He also made 16 more rear wheel H.P. with the Rev-n-nator.
                                                                        The R/T Garage

cuda66273

Nacho-RT74

I have used both and I only can post MY experience, without an actual technical language or real technical based experiment, just my perception on my street car.

with the FBO combo ( A688 ECU and coil ) the car started up faster

with the Rev-N-Nator and MSD Blaster 2 chromed coil the car revs up way better

Both tested on my stroked engine, although the Rev-N-Nator was never tested on my stock 400

The FBO ECU was used around 6 or 7 months ( as far I recall ) of EFFECTIVE work while I was using my car as driver, Then took appart ( around 7 months ) to build my stroked engine, and run the FBO combo again for 2 months. Same great start up. Shame on me, just last longed those 2 months. Thanks God was on the 2 years guarantee and Don recognized me that ( GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE )

The Ignition system began to fail with the Rev-N-Nator, but, discovered it was the FBO coil ( which it was what I kept on my car when instaled the Rev-N-Nator ) begining to fail really. It looks they didn't match very well ( THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE, dunno the reason but thats MY fact. ). The FBO coil worked GREAT with the rest of modules used though.

My initial intention wit Rev-N-Nator was keep the stock apperance. My engine is FULL STOCK LOOK DOWN THE HOOD. IF some performance gain, BETTER. Really did! Simply reach AT LEAST the Chromed or FBO Performance was enough for me, but what I got was better than expected. However I paid what I paid on the first release Rev-N-Nator, basically for the stock look. Thanks God, last year was good enough for me on my job to be able to pay it, because was not "cheap", at least for me ( money exchange is against me when I try to buy )

The first HR688 with the GM module inside like some members of this board found, was a big mistake Don,  I think that it was what screw you down on the ECU market. I never have lie you the couple of times we have talked on your Chat box... and in fact like I have said around and I think also told you on your chat, PERSONALLY I'll never buy a fancy box with an GM module inside, where in fact that's something I can make personally on any old stock Box I have laying around ( I have the skills ), and getting a performance GM module inside, keeping the stock look, spending just maybe $50

Of course when I needed URGENT a GOOD QUALITY Module, the Rev-N-Nator floated on the emails subscriptions ( I was ), and the HR688 deal was being discused at the time, and I had to decide with one of those. I very well was the Guinea Pig on the Rev-N-Nator specially being overseas. I think my Rev-N-Nator could be very well the first one being used overseas ( serial number 20 ). I had to.

I have to say, that I have got a good customers experience with Troy and Laura by email too ( I have promised to Laura some updated pics of my car and I stil own that )

Meanwhile I have beeing fixing couple of chromed ECU boxes I got damaged with relativelly success. It was the big Transistor. But I haven't been able to find a GOOD transistor ( not a chinese junk ) with matching specs. Maybe is the same on the FBO but I don't want to touch it. Not at least now.

taking at a side MY experience, I think is just time to the facts talk, and when the HRR688s take the market lost by the HR688, simply will be an option more like the MSDs or ProCom, Or Accel are ( and now the Rev-N-Nator ). Everyone publish his own specs and test.

The customers will decide.

On a side note, on my ECU emergency I even made to test the Rick Ehrenberg HI-REV box WHICH BY THE PRICE IS A GREAT UNIT!!!! just that I don't really know if its nothing more than a Standard LX101 piece labeled ( LOL... not saying it is, but how to know it ? ). I can't really say if really beats the Chromed box like Rick advertises 'cause I never gets my car to hi revs ( barelly 4500 couple of times maybe ? ), but I can tell on the crank up, didn't made better than the Chromed or the A688, just like a stock piece. Is at this moment my spare box, allong with an OLD COBRA box ( which is I think now the same Filko CH500 being sold on ebay)

Nacho-RT74

and there is another fact...

MANUFACTURERS WERE FORGETTING THE GUYS LIKE ME, WHAT LOVES THE STOCK LOOK WITH BUILT IN PERFORMANCE. The only option we had was MP, which has being failing on that due the durability.

Troy is getting that market, no matter the reality of his published test, more or less there is a performance gain against ANY pure stock box on a more less stock car... like Don did back in the years with the A688, but not able anymore because his manufacturer left the States.

JB400

I've been wondering how these would compare to the orange or chrome box.  My family has always been a fan of the chrome box.

mhinders

It's obvious that the dyno charts showed at the beginning of this thread cannot be compared, and are useless in that sense.
As somebody stated previously, the A/F ratio in the Rev-N-ator chart is set spot-on for optimum performance, while the engine in the 2 other charts is running way too lean.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 03, 2013, 01:04:34 AM
I've been wondering how these would compare to the orange or chrome box.  My family has always been a fan of the chrome box.

I can tell you... I have run EVERYONE, but on street use, not race. Mopar boxes, kinda similar to the FBO, starts up more less faster than the Rev-N-Nator, but the Rev-N-Nator revs up WAAAAY BETTER and iddles better too.

mhinders

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 03, 2013, 03:03:18 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 03, 2013, 01:04:34 AM

I can tell you... I have run EVERYONE, but on street use, not race. Mopar boxes, kinda similar to the FBO, starts up more less faster than the Rev-N-Nator, but the Rev-N-Nator revs up WAAAAY BETTER and iddles better too.

The well performing ignition system has to be composed of parts that fit together.
- Any excellent electronic box can be transformed into a poor performer with a technically unsuitable coil, and any excellent coil can become a poor performer with an unsuitable electronic box!
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Musicman

Quote from: mhinders on January 03, 2013, 04:09:11 PM
The well performing ignition system has to be composed of parts that fit together.
- Any excellent electronic box can be transformed into a poor performer with a technically unsuitable coil, and any excellent coil can become a poor performer with an unsuitable electronic box!

Well said, and so very true! Which is why some folks want to sell you the complete package and not just one part. If Troy tells you to use this coil and not that one, it's because they have done the testing and found that this is what works best. If Don tells you to get rid of your old FBO coil and replace it with the new model when buying a new HRR688 ignition, there's a reason for it. Of course, all this is for nothing if your Dizzy isn't right either... as stated above, all the parts have to fit and work together.

As for the other foolishness… I have read Don’s post, as well as Troy’s

Personally… I think that if Don wants to clarify a few misconceptions concerning his own product here..”Our HRR688 IS NOT A HEI module”… well that’s all fine and dandy, he certainly has the right to defend himself, his product, and his name. More power to him! However, I don’t feel it was appropriate for him to comment one way or another on matters concerning the validity of any test data surrounding the Rev-n-nator, especially when he himself admits that he has not as of yet done any meaningful testing. This was beneath him and unprofessional in my opinion. The rest of us here are just a bunch of nobodies, we can say whatever we like and get away with it, but guys like Don & Troy don’t have that luxury. Don hints to his distain for the Internet Rumor Mill, but that’s just what this is. Bottom line… I like Don, he’s a smart guy and he has done a lot for us over the years, but whether he means to or not, he does have a nasty habit of stepping on other peoples toes from time to time... which often leads to the old proverbial open mouth, insert foot routine.

I think Troy may have taken the situation a little too much to heart, but that is very often the end result in situations like this where the printed word must be interpreted, so God Bless Him, he has the right to defend himself just as much as the next guy. It’s his product and his good name on the line here after all. Troy & Laura have taken a huge gamble here, and they don’t need uncalled-for comments from the rumor mill dragging them down. Innocent until proven guilty.

My own thoughts on the matter… however inappropriate.

Troys advertising states, and I quote...
QuoteThe Rev-n-nator is a true plug and bolt in factory appearing I.C.M. (AKA: Brain Box) that has been completely re-engineered with digital technology!

Troy showed me an early pre-production model of his unit at a car show once, so I have seen the guts of the REV-N-NATOR with my own eyes. That said, I can state unequivocally that the statement quoted above is true. The only reason this unit resembles a standard Mopar ECU is because Troy wanted it to look like one, hence the words “Factory Appearing”

Troy's advertising also states, and I quote...
QuoteYou will see an average of 10-40 HP increase over the factory Orange and Chrome boxes.

Maybe I just assumed it was common knowledge, but any box that will "accurately" trigger a good ignition system while maintaining “accurate” timing into the higher rpm bands will outperform a stock Mopar box… Chrysler purposely designed their boxes with high end limitations, especially the Orange Box… When you bought a car it came with something called a Warranty, specifically the Engine/Drivetrain Warranty. Do really think Chrysler would be stupid enough to install a High Performance ignition system on an otherwise stock engine? Of course not, they’d be replacing engines faster than they could build them! Manufacturers still do the same thing today, only now we use chips and computer codes..LOL. They offered HP alternatives to the performance minded community yes, but it was clearly stated that the installation of said products would automatically null & void all warranties, just as it is today. Troy & Don both knows this, so is it really that hard to believe Troy’s claims that his product will deliver 10-40 HP over a stock ECU. Troy’s testing clearly shows these gains are at the higher end of the rpm scale, approaching 6000 rpm which is well out of reach for a stock unit like the Orange box. If my stock orange box didn’t start falling off at 3500 it would perform much better too, but it does…  it was designed that way. Chrome boxes are a little better of course, but I believe that’s why Troy’s claim states 10-40 hp… maybe closer to 10 for Chrome, and closer to 40 for the orange.
In reality I’m sure Don could make the same claims in his advertising, but has chosen not too. Probably to avoid the same kind of crap that Troy has been dealing with. As the new kid on the block however, Troy has not had a lot of choice in the matter. It’s been sink or swim for Troy & Laura. Anyone who followed the posts over on Moparts knows this. He had to show something!

Troy has openly admitted to being a little overzealous when posting the early Dyno information, and has since clarified that information. Don was a little quick on the draw a year or two ago as well with the introduction of his “HR688” unit (not to be confused with the HRR688) so I do not see any point in arguing here… we all make hasty decisions from time to time which can lead us to regret.

The Rev Limiter…

Don states that he could drive through the Rev Limiter on his distributor machine, and Troy states that won’t happen in a real world application. Who’s right… I’m sure they both are.

Don put the unit on a test bench to get ignition data, test equipment designed to simulate actual running conditions, but not a running engine. In the process he purportedly tried to drive the limiter beyond the point where it would start to misfire, just to see if you could physically drive through it, which he did, “apparently” breaking two units in the process. Personally, I would have contacted Troy before doing any testing. Better yet, invite Troy over to the shop for testing and a couple of beers.

Troy argues that in the real world once the Rev Limiter kicks in, your engine won’t want to play anymore.

I tested the Rev-N-Nator Limiter on my own test stand with an actual engine… The Rev Limiter works, it’s that simple. If it didn’t, you would have heard about it long before now. Could you drive through if you wanted too? Maybe, but I’m sure the engine will run like a one legged pony on a pogo stick if you do, so what would be the point. Needless to say, I haven’t tried.

I have used, and will continue to use products from both of these guys, and I am very thankful for their efforts to improve our little Mopar world. Without folks like this, where would we all be? I don’t think most people realizes just how much time, money, and effort is poured into such endeavors.

The REV-N-NATOR is a great alternative to the old Mopar units in my opinion. It costs more yes, but if you want better performance, with a couple of extra bells and whistles, while still maintaining the stock look and feel of the old Mopar ECU ignition, the Rev-N-Nator is a good choice.

I haven’t tested one yet, but for those who are not as concerned about stock appearances, and still want those extra bells and whistles, Don’s new HRR688 ECU/Coil kit looks like another good alternative. It costs more than the Rev-N-Nator yes, but the idea of having no Ballast Resistor to worry about is incentive enough to drive many folks his way, and it’s still cheaper than some.

Some folks might look at these two camps as competitors, but when you stop and look at their current products, this is really not the case. If Don was still selling the old A688 ignition that would be another story, but he’s not. They both sell alternative ignition systems, but so does everyone else.

I know I'm going to regret this later, but I'm hitting the POST button now... :lol:

:Twocents:

P.S. :
I took a quick look at Don's site after typing this. He now has pictures showing the guts of his new HRR688 on there... it's definitely not a GM HEI style looking unit anymore. It's been completely redesigned.

Nacho-RT74

after this, I don't have anymore to say or add. Even less, with someone talking better english than me :smilielol:

I just tried to share my rookie experience and perceptions on this ;)

bull

randy73

Musicman, all I can say is WOW. So few people will stand up and be HONEST, refreshing to see!!

That is the best part of this thread, Nacho same goes for you. So nice to see somebody standing up for their principles!!!!

bull

Quote from: Musicman on January 04, 2013, 04:41:50 PM
Don states that he could drive through the Rev Limiter on his distributor machine, and Troy states that won't happen in a real world application. Who's right... I'm sure they both are.

Don put the unit on a test bench to get ignition data, test equipment designed to simulate actual running conditions, but not a running engine. In the process he purportedly tried to drive the limiter beyond the point where it would start to misfire, just to see if you could physically drive through it, which he did, "apparently" breaking two units in the process. Personally, I would have contacted Troy before doing any testing. Better yet, invite Troy over to the shop for testing and a couple of beers.

Troy argues that in the real world once the Rev Limiter kicks in, your engine won't want to play anymore.

I tested the Rev-N-Nator Limiter on my own test stand with an actual engine... The Rev Limiter works, it's that simple. If it didn't, you would have heard about it long before now. Could you drive through if you wanted too? Maybe, but I'm sure the engine will run like a one legged pony on a pogo stick if you do, so what would be the point. Needless to say, I haven't tried.

Right. The point of a rev limiter, as I understand it, is to protect the engine from overrevving and causing itself damage - not to prevent prolonged overrevving for as long as it takes to ruin the module. As a driver in a real world scenario let's say I'm banging through the gears in my 4 speed Charger and I miss 3rd but hammer the throttle. The rev limiter is supposed to disrupt the firing sequence long enough for me to figure out I need to let off and try again. Why would I expect it to last if I decided to keep my foot in it for the next two minutes while I coast to a stop? I don't see how pushing one of these REV-N-NATOR modules to meltdown mode has anything to do with a typical street application. Even if a total moron kept his foot in it for two minutes and melted the module the engine would die (because the spark would quit) and the module would have done its job, correct? He may be calling the tow truck and buying a new module but his engine would still be in one piece. Anything is going to fail if you push it beyond its design limits long enough.

Musicman

There are rev limiters designed for different purposes, launches for example...  The limiter on the Rev-n-nater works just fine for it's intended purpose. :Twocents:

johnnycharger

so how many people in here on this now and would recommend it? :shruggy:

mhinders

Quote from: bull on January 08, 2013, 09:16:52 PM
....Even if a total moron kept his foot in it for two minutes and melted the module the engine would die (because the spark would quit) and the module would have done its job, correct?...
I don't know how the Rev-N-Ator is designed, but generally speaking keeping your foot to the floor and keeping the rev-limiter active all the time would do no harm whatsoever to the electronic module. It's a very simple function to just stop all/some sparks (or use an "algorithm"  ;D ), whatever way the designer choose to do it.
Martin

rtgarage

Hello,
   We have a kool video of lauras REV-N-NATOR Charger going to Church! A very modern church asked if we could bring a cool hot rod, for a sermon they wanted to do. We set the Rev-n-nator at the 5,000RPM limit. And it was a good thing, you can hear it bouncing off the limiter when the Pastor pulls out on stage and starts revving it up. Click on the link and give it a minute to start. 

http://vimeo.com/57876323

Nacho-RT74

68r/t

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 23, 2013, 11:26:49 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on January 08, 2013, 10:23:47 PM
so how many people in here on this now and would recommend it? :shruggy:

I do

I,ve  got one on the way,  the  fbo box that I got only lasted 3000miles and I am back to the orange box till the rev- n- ater arrives, I,m in Australia so it will be a couple of weeks , so far the communication with them has been great and I,ll let you all know what I think when I try it out.

Keen to hear 68r/t, I too am in Australia and looking for a better alternative. I wanted the HR688 box but Don discontinued it and the new model looked nothing like a stock box. His new one is a step in the right direction.

Bob T

Old thread revisited...
Great long previous post Musicman, that set it out well.
We replaced the stock harmonic balancer on my HP2 440 at the weekend because the rubber had failed and it had shifted. After installing the new one, we then found the dizzy was fluctuating on the timing light on deceleration, so it appears it is shot.
So, next up a guy I know has a brand new Accel dizzy and rev n nator which was going to be installed in another car but he will sell it to me so I can head off on an away trip next weekend.
The dizzy and rev n nator were brought as the "pack" off Troy I believe.

My question is; is the Accel "butterbox" coil ( yellow one with the brown top ) that I have going to be compatible with the Rev n ator??
Any tips out there, thanks.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

rtgarage

Hello from The R/T Garage, with The REV-N-NATOR.
We recommend the Accel Super Stock part#8140 yellow coil, MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil part#8222 , MSD Blaster 2  part#8203,8200 or Fire Core Coils.
Check out latest Article of The REV-N-NATOR in moparmax com  volume 10 October issue or check out the website  thertgarage com
Any questions, were happy to help.  :drive:

http://moparmax.com/columns/magnante/viii_10-1.html

Bob T

Quote from: rtgarage on October 21, 2013, 04:04:09 PM
Hello from The R/T Garage, with The REV-N-NATOR.
We recommend the Accel Super Stock part#8140 yellow coil, MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil part#8222 , MSD Blaster 2  part#8203,8200 or Fire Core Coils.
Check out latest Article of The REV-N-NATOR in moparmax com  volume 10 October issue or check out the website  thertgarage com
Any questions, were happy to help.  :drive:

http://moparmax.com/columns/magnante/viii_10-1.html

Hello from NZ and thanks for your quick reply Troy.
Based on that I can obtain a 8140 coil locally for about $85 so that is a win too!.
So we will go ahead with it hopefully this week and get back to you.
Oh, the guy I'm getting it rev n nator & dizzy off is Roger with the plum 70 GTX & LRW,  only lives two streets away and known him for years, small world eh  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

rtgarage

Glad I could help you out. Roger is a great guy! My wife and I have connected with so many interesting people all over the globe. Yes, it truely is a small world!
Good to make your acquaintance! Check out our website too and drop us a line anytime!   Troy :cheers:

Bob T

Quote from: rtgarage on October 22, 2013, 11:35:56 AM
Glad I could help you out. Roger is a great guy! My wife and I have connected with so many interesting people all over the globe. Yes, it truely is a small world!
Good to make your acquaintance! Check out our website too and drop us a line anytime!   Troy :cheers:

Hey Troy, we fitted the new setup on Friday night at a mates workshop, only took an hour and a half with tuning.
I must say how impressed I am with how the car sounded at first startup and how it runs now, it is definitely making more power now than it was. I chopped it down on the motorway at 95km/h on the way back and it broke traction! Nice one. ( 440 HP2, mild cam, headers, Torker manifold, 750 Holley, 3:23 suregrip ) 20' initial, 35' total

We found the old dizzy was failing and had a lot of spark scatter, so I couldnt be bother with trying to re-bush it or mucking around, so made the decision to go with the Rev n Nator and Accel dizzy and coil, really pleased with the results, have done around 200 miles this weekend already.
Pretty easy to set up and checking it with a digital timing gun the cutout point was only 70rpm difference.
We've got our club drags in a few weeks so it will be a good test to see whats in there now.

Funny enough, I ended up with unit 666, haha, and its in a Black R/T , nice!

A few more of my Mopar buddies are keen too, so there will be a few more satisified customers over here shortly.

Thanks, have a cold one on me, will flick you some pics for your webpage.   :cheers:

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Nacho-RT74

rtgarage

Quote from: Bob T on October 27, 2013, 03:28:17 PM
Quote from: rtgarage on October 22, 2013, 11:35:56 AM

Hey Troy, we fitted the new setup on Friday night at a mates workshop, only took an hour and a half with tuning.
I must say how impressed I am with how the car sounded at first startup and how it runs now, it is definitely making more power now than it was. I chopped it down on the motorway at 95km/h on the way back and it broke traction! Nice one. ( 440 HP2, mild cam, headers, Torker manifold, 750 Holley, 3:23 suregrip ) 20' initial, 35' total

We found the old dizzy was failing and had a lot of spark scatter, so I couldnt be bother with trying to re-bush it or mucking around, so made the decision to go with the Rev n Nator and Accel dizzy and coil, really pleased with the results, have done around 200 miles this weekend already.
Pretty easy to set up and checking it with a digital timing gun the cutout point was only 70rpm difference.
We've got our club drags in a few weeks so it will be a good test to see whats in there now.

Funny enough, I ended up with unit 666, haha, and its in a Black R/T , nice!

A few more of my Mopar buddies are keen too, so there will be a few more satisified customers over here shortly.

Thanks, have a cold one on me, will flick you some pics for your webpage.   :cheers:

Great to hear your box is rockin' ! Sounds like you set up everything perfect ! We'll just have customers contact you for set up! ha ha! Thanks for sharing all your information. Its great to hear what you've done and how things are going! We were laughing about the  "666"   Black box in a cool bad ass R/T! Look forward to your pics. Keep us updated.
            Troy      THE R/T GARAGE   :drive:

rtgarage

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 27, 2013, 03:52:06 PM
I have the number 20, and MAYBE the first one exported ?

Hello Nacho! Great to hear from you! Hows Charger doing? Yes, your Rev-N-Nator was one of our very early exported boxes! Thank You again!
           Troy    THE R/T GARAGE :drive:

Nacho-RT74

Hey Troy!

My Charger is at this moment at a full body panels job ( again ) replacing every small rusted spot, full quarter panel skins, roof fix, dutchman panel replacement, trunk floor extensions and several other details around. Began around 5 months ago, maybe will be finished by early next year. Is around 12 hours driving from home.

rtgarage

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 29, 2013, 09:52:52 AM
Hey Troy!

My Charger is at this moment at a full body panels job ( again ) replacing every small rusted spot, full quarter panel skins, roof fix, dutchman panel replacement, trunk floor extensions and several other details around. Began around 5 months ago, maybe will be finished by early next year. Is around 12 hours driving from home.

Sounds like it will be one pristine machine!! Keep us updated! :drive:

AKcharger