News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else waiting (impatiently) for this REV-N-NATOR to start selling?

Started by bull, November 28, 2011, 04:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've been in touch with these guys through email since last March. The new Street Fire box I bought is still sitting on the work bench because I don't know if I should return it and wait for this Rev-N-Nator thing to go on sale soon or assume they are just teasing me about actually selling them. I'd really like to go with this new thing but they just keep testing it and sending me emails about how awesome it is. :brickwall:

http://www.thertgarage.com/products.html

Their last email: "There have been many delays, that have been out of our control. We have 10,000 street miles on out test units with zero failures. There has been alot of time invested into the firmware to make this compatible for everyones combinations. We just finished up our first round of dyno tests last week. The results turned out very good. They turned out so good, we now have two more rounds of dynos set up at to more different facility's, so we can get some average numbers for people. We spent 10 hrs on a dyno with a pump gas 440, did extensive back to back testing between a MSD, a Mopar orange box and the REV-N-NATOR. I attached some dyno sheets for you to view. Can we gain this much power over MSD? Well this shocked us, we knew trouncing on the Mopar orange box should be easy. This is why we need to do two more separate dynos on to more motors. So we are going fast as we can to get our product out, just want it to be, the best it can."

Thanks Troy & Laura

FLG

Eh,

Dont like the sheets, wheres the rest of the info? What about engine specs?

ChargerST

hmm, sounds almost too good to be true if nothing else other than the ignition was changed.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HPP

I find it VERY hard to believe a simple ignition swap produced that big of a change. Provided the base sampling was up to par on everything, I don't see how it realistically could happen. My personal experience between a Mopar, Jacobs, MSD, and Crane system showed very little difference in e.t. or m.p.h. in my drag car, which was tuned about as sharply as you could get it. Now, if you dredged up some old, out of tune, fouled plug, overcarbed, haven't started it in years type of set up as your base line, then maybe.

elacruze

Ignition performance is pretty much dictated by the Coil. All the module does is tell the coil when to fire. Provided that the module is sufficient to charge and dwell the coil properly, there will be no difference in performance.

I would suggest that these dyno runs were not made with similar ignition timing, or the same coil, or rotor phasing, or something simple. There is NEVER that much power in an ignition system unless there are uncorrected faults elsewhere.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

maxwellwedge

True - All an optimized ignition does is let you utilize the power that is already in the engine.

ChargerST

If you look at the dyno sheets the MSD runs with the best A/F ratio (around 14) - MP and Rev-N-Nator are much fatter. MSD uses much less fuel too! Volumetric efficiency is pretty much the same on all 3 sheets.

Ghoste

elacruze

Quote from: ChargerST on November 28, 2011, 12:50:37 PM
If you look at the dyno sheets the MSD runs with the best A/F ratio (around 14) - MP and Rev-N-Nator are much fatter. MSD uses much less fuel too! Volumetric efficiency is pretty much the same on all 3 sheets.

yeah precisely. They leaned out the MSD and MP to kill the power. Ignition doesn't lean out mixtures, Carburetors and Shills do.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bull

Well, I posted the sheets because I thought they'd be of interest, which they obviously are. ;) My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does. As long as it performs similarly, can be mounted the same and looks similar to an MP ECM, is well-priced and has a decent rev limiter, it's not unlikely I'll buy one. If you believe there's little difference to be made by swapping out an EI module than you look to other reasons for doing it.

For my application (4 speed) the only reason I would run an MSD over an MP box is for the advantage of a rev limiter so if this thing can look like an MP and deliver like an MSD, why not use it?

elacruze

Quote from: bull on November 28, 2011, 01:12:53 PM
Well, I posted the sheets because I thought they'd be of interest, which they obviously are. ;) My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does. As long as it performs similarly, can be mounted the same and looks similar to an MP ECM, is well-priced and has a decent rev limiter, it's not unlikely I'll buy one. If you believe there's little difference to be made by swapping out an EI module than you look to other reasons for doing it.

For my application (4 speed) the only reason I would run an MSD over an MP box is for the advantage of a rev limiter so if this thing can look like an MP and deliver like an MSD, why not use it?

FWIW I've been tracking their availability as well, although I've ordered the FBO module which is very similar if not...exactly the same...?

I'm in no way trying to say I don't think it will work or that it isn't worthy, just that their data/advertising is bad. I'd try one myself.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

HPP

My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does.

For these reasons alone it is a real neat item and would cool to have a stock looking module for these features. That wouldn't stop me from getting one if I want a stock looking set up with in integrated rev control.

Will it add 66 horses, no steenkin way.

bull

Quote from: elacruze on November 28, 2011, 03:23:19 PM
FWIW I've been tracking their availability as well, although I've ordered the FBO module which is very similar if not...exactly the same...?

I'm in no way trying to say I don't think it will work or that it isn't worthy, just that their data/advertising is bad. I'd try one myself.

Quote from: HPP on November 28, 2011, 04:06:16 PM
My main reason for wanting one is a little different in that I like the idea of a compact, familiar, plug and play design that does the same stuff an MSD box does.

For these reasons alone it is a real neat item and would cool to have a stock looking module for these features. That wouldn't stop me from getting one if I want a stock looking set up with in integrated rev control.

Will it add 66 horses, no steenkin way.

Honestly I was surprised and then quickly uninterested in the hp claims when I saw his results. I looked through them too trying to find some control data but didn't find it. If anything he loses credibility with the vague claims, instead of just sticking with touting the obvious benefits, he kind of went off into left field with this stuff. Between this and the delays my optimism is waning. I still think it would be a cool device but then I don't know if I want to be one of his first Guinea pigs either.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Apparently these silly people are finally going to release this thing. I got an email announcing it today thanking me for my "patients" (am I a doctor?) that uses a lot of HLPAG-like bold/colored letters complete with an exclamation point at the end of almost every sentence. ::)

"The R/T Garage announces the release of the......

REV-N-NATOR !

We have truly appreciated your patients and above all, your support through the development of the REV-N-NATOR!  We have not forgotten anyone.

Because you are on the early list of contacts, we would like to make sure you don't miss out on the first production roll out!

You will be honored at the $149.00 intro price! You are some of the first to know of our production availability! We will begin entering your order information after June 4th.  When order information is received and complete, we will begin shipping!

THESE WILL BE SOLD OUT!

We look forward to hearing from you, so we can get your REV-N-NATOR on its way!!  Again, thank you for your patients and support!

Sincerely,  TROY and  LAURA  at The R/T Garage

You can email us at rev.n.nator@gmail.com  612 326-6722 or 952 356-4969"

Ghoste

bull

Probably not. Too many red flags. I'll let someone else risk it.

If I do anything other than an MP orange box it'll probably be an FBO setup, although I'm not excited about having to buy a 6-piece set.

Musicman

I have been following the progress of the Rev-N-Nator over on Moparts. Seems like a decent effort on their part (Troy & Laura). More options to choose from are always welcomed as far as I'm concerned, so good for them. As long as the price point doesn't get out of hand, they may do just fine. Of course, as with anything, time and open road testing will tell the tale.

As of last month... FBO added an adjustable rev limiter to their new high output HEI unit, the one that comes in a $$$ Billet Mopar style ECU box. I believe this new unit uses a dial type adjuster, as opposed to preset buttons however. They are sold as a 2 piece kit now(ECU & Coil). The ballast resistor is no longer used obviously, but apparently the coils they sold previously with their A688 kits are not quite up to snuff for use with the HEI style unit, so a new coil is shipped with the HEI style ECU. Their advertising is still outdated on their web page, but that is the latest word from Don. Still $$$ though simply because the HEI unit is housed in a fancy Billet (Mopar style) ECU Housing. Most HEI units also have a greater sensitivity to starting voltages as well, which can be a problem for some. I know Don and his guys were working on this issue, due to some negative feedback that arose when they first introduced the new units.

I had one of the old FBO A688 ECU's crap out on me last weekend. Probably my fault however... I swapped it out with an old Orange Box just moments before heading out on a weekend trip. At the time of the swap I noticed that the old Orange Box wasn't grounded for shit (maybe why it was running so crappy), but I was in a rush so I just swapped the ECU units one for one. The car ran frigg'n great with the FBO unit on there, but I only got about 100 miles up the road before it started acting up. Fortunately I still had the old Orange Box with me in the trunk, so I bolted to the firewall, but at the engine ground strap this time (just to be sure), and plugged it in... good to go.

bull

Just got off the phone with a guy at FBO. Yes, they still require that you use their coil with the setup because he said they need a constant 14 volts from the battery for it to run properly. FBO Coil and ECU = $239. No ballast requires so if you want one for show you have remove the resistors and solder in a jumper wire. Not sure what I would do with that yet if I were to buy an FBO. I ended up getting the stupid four-prong ballast harness, which looks wrong anyway on a 68. And I don't want to cut any wires. :shruggy: The rev limiter as described is a one-click per 1,000 RPM externally adjustable dial.

On a sidenote, ever wonder why MP doesn't get its $4it together and make a decent orange box with a rev limiter? Me too.

Rolling_Thunder

Bull -  because MP are full of dinosaurs who aren't interested in making money - they think they are back in the Direct Connection days and they are the only game in town...    just look at their prices...    extremely high while the aftermarket is surpassing them easily in both quality and price point...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Musicman

Quote from: bull on June 01, 2012, 06:13:23 PM
Just got off the phone with a guy at FBO. Yes, they still require that you use their coil with the setup because he said they need a constant 14 volts from the battery for it to run properly. FBO Coil and ECU = $239. No ballast requires so if you want one for show you have remove the resistors and solder in a jumper wire. Not sure what I would do with that yet if I were to buy an FBO. I ended up getting the stupid four-prong ballast harness, which looks wrong anyway on a 68. And I don't want to cut any wires. :shruggy: The rev limiter as described is a one-click per 1,000 RPM externally adjustable dial.

On a sidenote, ever wonder why MP doesn't get its $4it together and make a decent orange box with a rev limiter? Me too.

I think Don means that the new coils can handle a constant 14 Volts during operation (alternator output), where the old coils "with the ballast resistor in line to reduce the voltage" were designed to handle closer to 10. Either that or he was talking about the HEI unit itself, which unlike the old MP units, does require full voltage for proper operation.

You could always dummy a ballast resistor to make it look like it was in use (even though it has been bypassed) if you wanted to.

1 click per 1000 rpm, but if I remember correctlyt, Don told me that it could be placed anywhere between the clicks as well for fine tuning.

I've found the old orange box to be a good reliable unit, but it has it's limitations... especially when rpms get above 3500.

bull

I don't think it was Don I talked to. I've noticed lately that a bunch of these vendors are not answering their phones or emails lately, I assume because of the start of the car show season. Anyway, this guy said they don't want to limit the voltage. He did say from the battery though so I don't really know what that meant.

Tom Q

Snake oil...just like FBO

I have an FBO box as a paperweight, they do not live up to their hype, in 2 different cars the boxes ran hot & overheated the coil causing no restart conditions. Yes dear they were well grounded etc etc etc etc...

Boxes were installed per FBO instructions, the electrical systems are fine in both cars, replacing the boxes solved the problems.  We used vintage Direct Connection chrome boxes-note-no high rpm timing retard was found with these boxes.

Musicman

Quote from: bull on June 01, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
I don't think it was Don I talked to. I've noticed lately that a bunch of these vendors are not answering their phones or emails lately.

I usually talk to him using the CHAT feature on their web site.

Quote from: Tom Q on June 02, 2012, 04:51:35 AM
the boxes ran hot & overheated the coil causing no restart conditions. Yes dear they were well grounded etc etc etc etc...

This was not the issue that I had...  and Nacho will tell you how his last 2 chrome boxes failed... everyone has failures.
The old boxes are no longer made anyway so it's just good conversation at this point.

My problem with a lot of this newer stuff is the cost... paying CD Ignition prices for standard items.

So what about the REV-N-NATOR... if they're being shipped now, then it shouldn't be to long before we start hearing some initial feedback.