News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodgrain center console stickers

Started by randy73, December 28, 2011, 11:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Anybody make one that fits?
I got one from Legendary Interiors and it does not fit, it is missing the screw hole by the shifter and is short on both ends. Waiting to hear back from Legendary.

ODZKing

Made my own. I have 2 so I decided to experiment with one.
Got the old sticker off, razor blades and goo-gone and it's back to chrome underneath.
Washed well and spray with contact spray glue just to insure a good stick.
Then, I used Sku 464047 Model 24F-09F88-06 "Tropical Walnut" contact paper from Home Depot.
Self adhesive as well.
Now, one is clearly brighter - but the old one is faded.
So, other than the small tiny bumps, which I could probably sand down from the chrome ... I think it came out great. And it's $6.95/roll for 288 inches. Probably enough to do half the folks on the forum here.

randy73

Just got off the phone with Legendary, they are talking to their supplier and I need to provide them the lot number. So I will let you know what happens.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: ODZKing on December 29, 2011, 04:51:32 PM
Got the old sticker off, razor blades and goo-gone and it's back to chrome underneath.
Then, I used Sku 464047 Model 24F-09F88-06 "Tropical Walnut" contact paper from Home Depot.
Self adhesive as well.
So, other than the small tiny bumps, which I could probably sand down from the chrome ... I think it came out great. And it's $6.95/roll for 288 inches. Probably enough to do half the folks on the forum here.

:o   WOW.. that looks great!  What an awesome idea.

How hard was it to remove the old one? Was it damaged when it was removed? I was thinking of trying to pull mine up, clean it up and re apply it.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 04, 2012, 08:38:49 PM
Self adhesive as well.

How hard was it to remove the old one? Was it damaged when it was removed? I was thinking of trying to pull mine up, clean it up and re apply it.

Pretty much impossible to remove it without at least distorting it.  Just remove the old, clean the plate until it's super smooth and get a new decal set at performance car graphics for $17.  I like the home depot decal too though!

I'm going with wood veneer on mine.  Flamed maple or mahogany maybe, got a bunch left from my guitar projects.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

:o   WOW.. that looks great!  What an awesome idea.

Yes, the old one was destroyed.  It is vinyl and paper based.  And stuck on pretty well so I had to use a blade to get the remnants off.  The old one was curled and pieces had torn off anyway.
I had only $7.00 and no shipping to loose so I thought I'd try the Depot stuff.
I set it over then cut exactly to the outline, so it fits perfectly.

A383Wing

hey Bob...make & sell the kits and retire   :2thumbs:

Bryan

ODZKing

This stuff would work great over the first and second gen consoles.  It goes over the brushed aluminum and you could cut it to fit or even fold under.  It will look great!    :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on January 05, 2012, 09:29:54 AM
cut it to fit or even fold under

You know that is an excellent idea.  The one thing that can go wrong with a decal is that the edges come loose and the vinyl shrinks, folding it under will solve that problem.

Good thinking!   :2thumbs:

randy73

Well, Legendary is sending me another sticker. They think I got a bad one, I will let you know what happens.

BananaDan

I did mine on my 70,  I got them from Performance Car Graphics.  They look good to me. :Twocents:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bakerhillpins

Quote from: ODZKing on January 05, 2012, 12:16:42 AM
:o   WOW.. that looks great!  What an awesome idea.

Yes, the old one was destroyed.  It is vinyl and paper based.  And stuck on pretty well so I had to use a blade to get the remnants off.  The old one was curled and pieces had torn off anyway.
I had only $7.00 and no shipping to loose so I thought I'd try the Depot stuff.
I set it over then cut exactly to the outline, so it fits perfectly.

Lots of times the application of a little heat will help loosen up the adhesive and allow them to be pulled up with out damage. Depends upon it's make up though and if it's a paper core then I suspect heat isn't going to help.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on January 04, 2012, 09:12:32 PM
Self adhesive as well.

Pretty much impossible to remove it without at least distorting it.  Just remove the old, clean the plate until it's super smooth and get a new decal set at performance car graphics for $17.  I like the home depot decal too though!

I'm going with wood veneer on mine.  Flamed maple or mahogany maybe, got a bunch left from my guitar projects.

Hey Dirk, I like that idea of using veneer, I didn't think of that but will probably look in home depot or lowe's to see what they have for veneer and give it a shot.  I had also thought about using carbon fiber vinyl sticker too.

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 27, 2012, 07:25:01 AM
Hey Dirk, I like that idea of using veneer, I didn't think of that but will probably look in home depot or lowe's to see what they have for veneer and give it a shot.  I had also thought about using carbon fiber vinyl sticker too.

I don't know how much the big box stores have when it comes to veneer.  They have the stuff for edging and such and they probably carry red oak veneer (which may be pretty nice actually) but I doubt you'll find anything exotic.  I usually get my woods and veneers off ebay.  I got flamed maple last time, it was very cheap and looks stunning.  If you want to have something more like the Euro luxury cars go with walnut.  It's cheap and looks great with the correct stain.  Actually ODZKing's home depot decal is walnut and it looks really nice!

AirborneSilva

I have always been a fan of walnut, never thought to look for wood/wood veneer on e-bay, I guess you really can get anything on e-bay  :yesnod:

AKcharger

Musicman

When it comes to flexible sheet materials for automotive work etc, just about any kind of finish you can possibly think of is available for purchase somewhere.