News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NICE SUPERBIRD CLONE ON EBAY . HIT THE RESERVE ALREADY

Started by BigBlockSam, January 13, 2012, 06:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

This is definitely a case of the have-nots putting thoughts into the minds of the haves.

I have Porsche 944's, including a Turbo S.  I have one for a DD/winter car with snow tires on it--I really do live the motto "Porsche everyday."  The Turbo S is a rocket, and was one of the fastest, best handling cars of its era.  It's widely overlooked, though, because it's not a 911.  I absolutely love the cars, especially the turbo.  

That said, 944 people can be annoying.  it's like they're stuck with the automotive equivalent of short guy syndrome.  Best part?  911 people don't care OR look down on them.  It's all perception from the bottom up.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 17, 2012, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: FJ5WING on January 17, 2012, 09:53:51 AM
Mike,
explain what "have ones cake and eating too" means?

I own a factory built Superbird(couldnt bring myself to say real  :smilielol:) and drive it. Or should I say WILL drive it as soon as it back together.  There are some funny thoughts in this thread for sure! One day Ill see my first clone. :nana:

All I know is that I have a clone and Im just as proud as can be. I love the car.
when your tired of it i'll  take it  :icon_smile_big:  I like jasons color better but your is a close second   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: djcarguy on January 16, 2012, 03:29:14 PM

sure would be a boring world without clones, as the real ones are rarely  seen or driven anymore.DJ

Please note, real wing cars being driven in the rain.     :smilielol:

djcarguy

Parked in a tiny rain shower,,,,only because that was the 1 time a year they left the garage .  allready out for a event and got hit by a big bad sprinkle???  that sure proves they are out and driven,,i guess???dj

DAY CLONA

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 17, 2012, 09:53:51 AM
Mike,
explain what "have ones cake and eating too" means?

I own a factory built Superbird(couldnt bring myself to say real  :smilielol:) and drive it. Or should I say WILL drive it as soon as it back together.  There are some funny thoughts in this thread for sure! One day Ill see my first clone. :nana:

Dave, Just what Brian said,..".he has a clone and enjoys it",...thus,.. he has his "cake" and "eats' it too....old say'in, maybe before your time?

The comparison I was making, is with most guys holding out for an "original" either they're waiting for the "right" car to surface, or waiting to build the cash reserve, and they sometimes settle for what's avaliable...where as the "clone guy" builds what he wants, how he wants, when he wants,...often enjoying it years before the guy holding out for an "original" to surface,...in the end the "clone guy" is "having his cake, and eating it too"...kinda like when I do this :nana:

Mike

maxwellwedge

held1823

Quote from: djcarguy on January 16, 2012, 03:29:14 PM
sure would be a boring world without clones, as the real ones are rarely seen or driven anymore.DJ

as limited production vehicles, it stands to reason they would rarely be seen over forty years later. heck, they were rarely seen, even when new. you don't often see any forty year old car, even models produced in the thousands, on the street anymore.  

it is still amazing the backlash resulting from one simple question. in the time since then, two of those in disagreement with my view have called me negative and narrow minded. character assessments? seriously? although i find it interesting one of them is a moderator on this forum, i assume his comment was made solely from an opposing viewpoint, rather than as an official stance. if it was a warning, i missed it. either way, i stand by my opinion.  

i do not expect anyone who supports the opposing point of view to see mine as having any merit. however, i did expect the debate to focus on the topic at hand, and not turn into a pissing match. clone supporters have been quite vocal, and even i do not summarily dismiss their opinions. i also appreciate the fine craftsmanship that several of them have demonstrated in creating a vehicle that must measure up to no one's standard but their own.

while i expected dissent from the clone supporters, the general silence from the other side speaks just as loudly to me. i am less diplomatic than most, and do not apologize for that. even so, had i not asked the question to begin with, this thread would not have over 1300 views. now i share responsibilty for promoting the very thing i am so against. that bothers me far more than anything else, since this thread would be well on its way to obscurity.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nvrbdn

nice pic of wings in the rain. :2thumbs:

stu, if all these people die, you will have a monopoly on winged cars. :2thumbs:

held, the thing that makes this place fun is the difference of opinion.if not, most threads on here would have 2-4 lines then die. everyone would agree,and move on. i too am shocked that you are left standing alone on your island when others surely agree with at least some if not most of your points. mabey they just dont want to get involved. :shruggy:i have accepted to agree to disagree. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

held1823

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 17, 2012, 01:33:51 PM
...i too am shocked that you are left standing alone on your island

that is sort of funny, since i took it as exactly the opposite. perhaps i truly am clueless, eh...

i should add that my original question, while quoting you, was intended more as a general statement than to single you out. i apologize for any misinterpretation.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: djcarguy on January 17, 2012, 12:08:29 PM
 Parked in a tiny rain shower,,,,only because that was the 1 time a year they left the garage .  allready out for a event and got hit by a big bad sprinkle???  that sure proves they are out and driven,,i guess???dj
it all depends on the owner !!  I have a friend and during the summer we are at usually a cruise and also a car show every weekend .  He has several aero cars and is alway driving them  :Twocents:   While we are on that subject he has one of every aero car ( including the ford and mercury versions )  and he is also still slowly building a clone Too !!   

Aero426

Not long after driving through TORRENTIAL rain in Cleveland.   We're talking rivers running across the road rain.

richRTSE

Quoteeven so, had i not asked the question to begin with, this thread would not have over 1300 views.

I think  Bigblocksam's orginal post about a "superbird clone" is the reason there is 1300 hundred views. Alot of people are interested in these aero cars...even the clones  :o  Heck, the post about superbird interior colors has almost as many views too.

I've met a few aerocar owners over the years, and most have been great guys, but a few have been arrogant, and a few have even been arrogant to another aerocar owner...until the found out he had a real Daytona...then he was "accepted".... ::)

Personally, I like clones, and I am currently building a 500 clone...the way I want it. I can also appreciate the prestige that goes along with owning a "real" one too. I think anyone into these cars WANTS a "real" one. But I'll never forget a few years back at a major mopar show I was taking some reference picts of a newly restored 500. I was talking to the owner (dont remember his name anymore) about his car and mentioned I was building a 500 clone. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "A clone?!?!? Why don't you just buy a real one?!?!" That really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Not everyone has a gazzilion dollars, or has a family member that was into these cars back when they were new, or may have been around back then to buy one new and still own it. Some of us are "regular guys" with wives, and kids, and mortgages, and clones are the only way into "aero car" ownership...

...and even though I was fortunate enough to buy a "real" 500 project a couple years ago, I'm still gonna build my clone and have fun with it, as I am more "emotionally attached" to that Charger since I've owned it close to 20 yrs...and if time and money permit it, I'll restore the real one later...

Aero426

More Aero Cars getting wet after being driven 60 miles in the rain.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 17, 2012, 02:15:19 PM
More Aero Cars getting wet after being driven 60 miles in the rain.

hey rutledge buy some new jeans    :smilielol:

pettybird

Parked in a tiny rain shower,,,,only because that was the 1 time a year they left the garage .  allready out for a event and got hit by a big bad sprinkle???  that sure proves they are out and driven,,i guess???dj

Shut up and go away.  I don't care about the bubble you live in but I'm tired of it bouncing here. 

"These cars never get driven," but when you are shown PROOF otherwise, you choose to mock?  Are you that stuck on your stupid idea?  Yeah, we all sat around thinking, "hey, some moron who wants to turn a Dart into a Daytona might join some message board someday and question whether wing cars are driven in the rain.  Better take some pics to prove him wrong!"  Trust me, you're not that relevant.

Do I go LOOKING for an opportunity to drive the 'birds in the rain?  Obviously not, genius.  Then again, I don't want to drive ANY 40 year old car in the rain!  I prefer decent wipers, decent lights, stopping distances not measured in astronomical units, etc. 

Do I drive it to work every day?  No, for much of the same reasons I just listed.  Keep in mind, I HAVE A CLONE, and I don't drive that one to work every day, either!  Name someone you know that drives a muscle car, real or not, every damn day.  I don't.  12MPG, lousy handling, bad radios, windows that don't seal, vinyl seats...I'll have my 944, thanks.  I did that when I was 18 and don't want to do it again.  Do you drive a Dart every day?  i did, for three years, rain, sun or snow.

In 2009, I drove to Talladega for the third time.  It rained both ways.  I took it home and sent it to a body shop.  I got it back this summer the day of the Indy meet, and drove it home at 5:30AM in a DOWNPOUR.  Shit happens.  It rained every day we were at the meet, too.  We had 25 wings at the meet out at various times, and Indy had close to 100 cars.  No one escaped the rain.

This year's meet in Cleveland was soaked, and I'm pretty sure WE had the only clone, and we left it at home one day in favor of a real, numbers matching Petty Blue 'bird!

I can't speak for people who don't drive their wing cars.  I don't understand why they don't take them out more, but more often than not they have more than just a wing and don't drive those, either.

pettybird

That picture was taken in Milwaukee.  I drove the car there, as did many others.  Sure is a long way to go to prove you can get a 'bird wet!

pettybird

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 17, 2012, 12:24:15 PM

Dave, Just what Brian said,..".he has a clone and enjoys it",...thus,.. he has his "cake" and "eats' it too....old say'in, maybe before your time?

funny...I enjoy the real Superbirds here much more than I enjoy the fake Daytona here.  I doubt you'll find many original wing car owners suffering through their ownership.

held1823

Quote from: richRTSE on January 17, 2012, 02:08:00 PM
Quoteeven so, had i not asked the question to begin with, this thread would not have over 1300 views.

I think  Bigblocksam's orginal post about a "superbird clone" is the reason there is 1300 hundred views....

the intent of the original post died with reply #8. that is why i'm kicking myself in the ass for the ninth one..
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

BigBlockSam

yes you can get caught in the rain with a real superbird and daytona . you don't drive a real one as much as you drive  a replica . there just worth to much . what if a  stupid person runs a stop sign and destroys your real 440 6pack superbird . that's destroying history.

my truck was in the body shop for a month . i used my daytona replica every day . went to  shoprite , gym , everywhere . left it in the parking lot for hours  (it has an alarm)

i would never do that with a real one . you can't there just worth to much .

you show a picture or two in the rain,  that's cool  ,you where on a club run or going to a show and it rained.  with my replica  i've looked out the window and it was raining and took the daytona out . wouldn't do that with a real one. show me that you put 5 or 6 thousand miles on it a year and not just going to far away shows . driving it like  a  car. i got 6k miles on my daytona this year . no shows no cruise with the club . just driving her like a car .

doing donuts, burnouts , drag raced . high speed runs. there fun cars replicas . cause you don't have to worry . if it gets f-ed up . i'll savage what i can and build another . no history or pedigree lost .  :Twocents:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

djcarguy

Parked in a tiny rain shower,,,,only because that was the 1 time a year they left the garage .  allready out for a event and got hit by a big bad sprinkle???  that sure proves they are out and driven,,i guess???dj

That picture was taken in Milwaukee.  I drove the car there, as did many others.  Sure is a long way to go to prove you can get a 'bird wet!
======================================================================================  west coast haven't seen a real wing car out or at shows for 10 years?????saw 2 clones,1 to 5 hours from thier homes driving and enjoying thier cars.

SO do you own this charger site??????   why dont you shut the hell up and go drive your wing car and even better your almighty prefuct 944, volks wagon......bye ,,could'nt see the kidding in big bad sprinkle?? :nana: :nana: :nana: 

pettybird

Quote from: djcarguy on January 17, 2012, 03:55:48 PM

That picture was taken in Milwaukee.  I drove the car there, as did many others.  Sure is a long way to go to prove you can get a 'bird wet!
======================================================================================  west coast haven seen a real wing car out or at shows for 10 years?????saw 2 clones,1 to 5 hours from there home driving and enjoying there cars.

so do you own this charger site??????   why dont you shut the hell up and go drive your wing car and even better your almighty prefuct 944, volks wagon......bye ,,could'nt see the kidding in big bad sprinkle?? :nana: :nana: :nana:

you've now gone from making mostly no sense to making no sense at all.  I don't see any ships from the Chinese Navy cruising around, so they must not have one.  I don't see fighter planes except at air shows, so the Air Force must only use them for exhibitions.  i don't see Giraffes except at the zoo, so they must not otherwise exist.

if you've NEVER seen a wing car out, you really don't go to many Mopar shows.  With a 200 car turnout at least one USUALLY shows...

pettybird

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 17, 2012, 03:31:58 PM
yes you can get caught in the rain with a real superbird and daytona . you don't drive a real one as much as you drive  a replica .

we have a:

real superbird
real superbird
fake daytona

I'll drive the real birds over the fake daytona any day.  after a while, "is that real?" gets annoying  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on January 17, 2012, 04:05:03 PM
yes you can get caught in the rain with a real superbird and daytona . you don't drive a real one as much as you drive  a replica .

we have a:

real superbird
real superbird
fake daytona

I'll drive the real birds over the fake daytona any day.  after a while, "is that real?" gets annoying  :lol:
but i heard you love PINK more   :nana:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: pettybird on January 17, 2012, 04:05:03 PM

we have a:

real superbird
real superbird
fake daytona

But, How often do they ask if there your moms?

Man,I just cant stand the better than everyone else additude that this thread has brought out. .....................
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70Sbird

Quote from: pettybird on January 17, 2012, 02:59:36 PM

I have to admit that I like to see all Mopars, real, clone, or otherwise.
I am however, fortunate enough to own a factory built Superbird and do drive it to long distance meets, to local shows, even to Lowes if I need a gallon of paint sometimes! Is it a daily driver no, But I'm not afraid to drive the car....IT's just a car. If it's wrecked or damaged I'll fix it.
In the rainy picture from Milwaukee that may be my B5 car in the line. It seemed like it rained that whole meet. And here is another pic most of you have seen before, Yes My "Real" superbird has even been caught in the SNOW! I just get tired of being cast as an "Aero Snob" because I have a Superbird. I'm pretty proud of my slant six Demon too. I just don't see the where the sniping is coming from, my "real" car will probably never be as "nice" of a car as some of the clones discussed on this Forum (look at 1Hotdaytonas car - mine will Never be that nice)! Some of these clones are beautiful cars and very well put together, as long as they are not sold as "original" cars when it comes time to sell, Who cares?

Scott Faulkner