News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is it, when selling a vehicle...

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 21, 2012, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Make a good base for you to construct a Daytonible.  :icon_smile_wink:

chargermike

i just bought a 06 polaris sportsman 800 4x4. i called the guy up and he told me about it. went and looked at it. it was everything it was advertised to be and never 1 time did i try and low ball him. i hate when people call and say how much will you really take. it was a good deal. not great but i have a very nice well taken care of quad. oh and if your selling something...PUT A PRICE ON IT. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE GIVE A PHONE NUMBER AND TELL ABOUT THE THING YOUR SELLING AND DONT PUT A PRICE ON IT...WHY..IT KEEPS THOSE PEOPLE FROM CALLING IF ITS TO HIGH FOR THEM....PRICE PEOPLE PRICE. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Ghoste

68RED4SPEED

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 03, 2012, 05:41:19 AM
Quote from: 68RED4SPEED on September 03, 2012, 02:28:28 AM
Tomorrow 10.30 PM I will pickup a guy at the local airport, wednesday morning we will drive to the bank and close the deal, really hopes he shows up, sold my convertible.

how much?

I will let you know when the amount is at my account  :2thumbs:

skip68

I sold our boat about 4 years ago on Craigslist.   I put $9,500 obo or trade for car.  This guy calls me and says he's got a Mercedes that he'd trade straight across.  I booked the car out a around $8,000 if I remember right and he did tell me it was worth that in blue book value.  I told the guy no way. I told him I was already asking $3500 below book on my boat.  I told him if he wants to do an even trade and he wants book value for his car then I want book value for my boat which was $12,500. He wasn't happy but I told him cash talks.   I'll trade but it needs to be on something that's of equal value.   The guy called a few times trying to work a deal and finally gave up.   People suck.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ACUDANUT

Use this phrase. "i'll trade...for cash". That's the only trading I do.

Ghoste

Exactly, if I were buying I'd say it's always worth a shot but if I'm selling and I didn't put "willing to trade for whatever junk you have now and no longer want", then I'm not interested in anything but folding money.

jaak

You have to deal with the same idiots when your looking to buy too....

I got me a little cash put back for another toy/project. I put ads on all CL within a hundred mile radius or so around me. I put specifically what I'm looking for, what years I'm looking for, and the most I'm willing to pay. I tell them to reply with pics, contact info, and price (only 3 things I'm asking for), and of course I get emails without pics, or cars/crap I can careless about, or a car that seems perfect, but they leave me no number to contact them (and won't reply when you try to reach them through email), or a car they are asking 2-3k more than what I said I'm willing to pay.

One email the guy seemed nice, left me a phone number, but wanted me to make and offer. I said look, what do you want for it....he said make offer. He kept pestering me to make an offer, so I low-balled the heck out of him, just hoping he would come back with what he really wanted....I guess he got offended because he won't talk to me anymore  :shruggy: What gives??

Sure I've had to deal with a tire kicker now and then when I sell something, but I think searching/buying is much more of a PITA than selling something.

Jason

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on September 03, 2012, 07:48:21 PM
Exactly, if I were buying I'd say it's always worth a shot but if I'm selling and I didn't put "willing to trade for whatever junk you have now and no longer want", then I'm not interested in anything but folding money.

Looking at my ledger, I have "made" $2,500 on CL this year, not counting vehicle sales  :2thumbs: I never trade for nothing!  :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: jaak on September 03, 2012, 07:52:05 PM

Trying to buy my daughter a car, we found one w/ nice miles for the year, and "excellent condition". Now please keep in mind, this is going to be her first car, so I can overlook 3 wheels curbed and a scrape and light bang in the plastic front fascia, but please, this is not "excellent condition". Good, at best... :Twocents:

So they were asking xx,xxx for the car, which is 6 or 7 years old. We offered 2k less than their price, or about 20% off the posted figure. They declined, saying $500 off, was the best they would do...  :scratchchin: They still have the car, 2 weeks later...  :shruggy:

It isn't that I wouldn't have paid the asking price, it is just that I won;t pay that money for a car in good condition vs. excellent. It seems everyone overstates condition  :flame: Why????  :popcrn:

Fred

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 03, 2012, 08:01:36 PM

Trying to buy my daughter a car, we found one w/ nice miles for the year, and "excellent condition". Now please keep in mind, this is going to be her first car, so I can overlook 3 wheels curbed and a scrape and light bang in the plastic front fascia, but please, this is not "excellent condition". Good, at best... :Twocents:

So they were asking xx,xxx for the car, which is 6 or 7 years old. We offered 2k less than their price, or about 20% off the posted figure. They declined, saying $500 off, was the best they would do...  :scratchchin: They still have the car, 2 weeks later...  :shruggy:

It isn't that I wouldn't have paid the asking price, it is just that I won;t pay that money for a car in good condition vs. excellent. It seems everyone overstates condition  :flame: Why????  :popcrn:

Yeah, and these people are very quick to find fault with other sellers cars even if they are in excellent condition.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

those folks are the worse when it comes to it as a buyer and you meet a seller who wont tell his price all they keep repeating 'make offer' and then you do they get all offended and go cry to their mothers.

I got me a little cash put back for another toy/project. I put ads on all CL within a hundred mile radius or so around me. I put specifically what I'm looking for, what years I'm looking for, and the most I'm willing to pay. I tell them to reply with pics, contact info, and price (only 3 things I'm asking for), and of course I get emails without pics, or cars/crap I can careless about, or a car that seems perfect, but they leave me no number to contact them (and won't reply when you try to reach them through email), or a car they are asking 2-3k more than what I said I'm willing to pay.

One email the guy seemed nice, left me a phone number, but wanted me to make and offer. I said look, what do you want for it....he said make offer. He kept pestering me to make an offer, so I low-balled the heck out of him, just hoping he would come back with what he really wanted....I guess he got offended because he won't talk to me anymore  :shruggy: What gives??

Sure I've had to deal with a tire kicker now and then when I sell something, but I think searching/buying is much more of a PITA than selling something.

Jason

1974dodgecharger

I question the same thing why do they overstate the condition.

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 03, 2012, 08:01:36 PM

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 04, 2012, 03:51:53 AM
I question the same thing why do they overstate the condition.

I once sold a motorcycle to a dealer who explained everyone (but me, apparently) overstates by "one degree"... :shruggy: In an overly simplistic way, he said:

excellent means good
good means fair
fair means junk

Everyone thinks their vehicle is one "rating" better than it really is... On the other hand, he appreciated my honesty and lack of surprises, and bought my bike at my price  :Twocents: Said he had seen it all...

Old Moparz

I've got a bunch of A-Body stuff that's in my way so it's listed on a few sites so I can get rid of it. First thing is, A-Body parts never get much money & I know that, so I priced things to get rid of them easily, & so far it's working. Of the 20 or so people who have contacted me, only one stands out as a pain in the neck. (Guess I am lucky this round....LOL) If it were just one email I'd ignore it, but we exchanged 3 or 4.

The guy wanted to make a package deal on about 5 things & the offer he made ($200 for $225 worth of stuff) was good until he asked me to drive 2 hours to meet him at the so called, "halfway point" to where he is. He tells me it's only an hour, but I've driven to this area before & there is no way it can be done in 1 hour. He never got nasty, but I don't understand why he wouldn't go the "one extra hour" for the stuff if he needed it.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

bill440rt

I hate selling big stuff, especially on Craigslist. Problems buying/selling on car forums are extremely rare for me, but when they do it's usually the fault of the carrier playing soccer with the package.

Trying to sell a decent pair of couches right now on CL, ad states that I might offer delivery for an additional fee IF within a reasonable driving distance, and at my discretion.  I get emailed all kinds of crap comments, it's almost not even worth it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I think the best thing to do with used furniture is give it to someone or burn it.  My wife always wants to sell it and its never a good experience.

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2012, 10:12:49 AM
I think the best thing to do with used furniture is give it to someone or burn it.  My wife always wants to sell it and its never a good experience.

So far, it's been pretty consistent. I've NEVER had a good experience selling used furniture either!  :smilielol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bill440rt on September 04, 2012, 10:07:00 AM
I hate selling big stuff, especially on Craigslist. Problems buying/selling on car forums are extremely rare for me, but when they do it's usually the fault of the carrier playing soccer with the package.

Trying to sell a decent pair of couches right now on CL, ad states that I might offer delivery for an additional fee IF within a reasonable driving distance, and at my discretion.  I get emailed all kinds of crap comments, it's almost not even worth it.

I sold an old living room set on CL for $700. Was going to give it away... Also sold two old loveseats, missing their "feet", to a short lady who thought they were perfect, as her feet wouldn't dangle. Got $300.

bill440rt

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 04, 2012, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on September 04, 2012, 10:07:00 AM

I sold an old living room set on CL for $700. Was going to give it away... Also sold two old loveseats, missing their "feet", to a short lady who thought they were perfect, as her feet wouldn't dangle. Got $300.

I sold a used bed to a college kid. Yep, a USED BED.  :eek2:

Ghoste

I used to know a guy that I was genuinely embarrassed to be around at swap meets.  He would gripe and moan and work to get someone to knock a few bucks off their price.  He'd make it personal and ttrash talk the part and the seller and I was always truly amazed that no one ever punched him out.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2012, 10:12:49 AM

Here's another idea that can be fun for old furniture. A friend of mine, John, had an old sofa bed that was pretty beat up. One day while I was over his house, he mentioned that he wanted help getting it outside to the garage until he figured out what to do with it. I said I'd help, but asked him, didn't our other friend, George, need it, he just bought a house?

John said that George wouldn't want this old thing, but I said, so what, it would look great on his deck. John agreed, so we loaded up my truck & drove over to George's new house when we knew he was at work & placed it on his deck. We never said a word to George, but a few months later when we were all hanging out, George went off about how he came home from work one day to find some ugly POS sofa on his deck.    :D

Both John & I kept a straight face, nodded & wondered how that had happened. It was about 3 years later that we finally admitted delivering his new sofa to his deck.   :smilielol:  He called us both a-holes, but got a good laugh.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

I like it.  I think I just may use that soon too.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on January 21, 2012, 03:57:39 PM
Why do people get in touch with you, then never show up?  :popcrn:

I hate selling anything, let alone dealing with the buyers  :slap:

Yeah, the runninhorn, (Travis Reeves) crackerheads leave a bad taste in your mouth.   ;)

ACUDANUT

The lower the price, the more kids call too with stupid questions and lack of money.