News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is it, when selling a vehicle...

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 21, 2012, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paironines

I agree, the "how much, cash money?" Thing grinds me too... It not like im offering financing.... :laugh:

BananaDan

I sold a Neon last year.  One of the guys that came out to see it was an auto glass guy and knew his way around a car pretty well.  He went over this car with a fine-toothed comb for what felt like an hour making periodic calls to his mechanic buddy.  And then it happened.  He opened the radiator cap and tasted the antifreeze.  Thankfully, he didn't come back or call me again.  What a waste of time.  

:coocoo:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

The70RT

I was selling a Nissan Skyline a few weeks ago and had people all over the US wanting it. I took the ad off Craigslist three times betides I said the first one that sends me a down payment gets it. I never wasted more time in my life in that two weeks dealing with idiots. I would send them 20 pictures and they would say OK I have to sell my car or I'm waiting on a settlement..blablah. the worst one was a guy wanting to trade a  mustang that wasa worth two grand and ::) I wanted 12
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

At the "under $5k" price point, I am getting a few of the emails like, "my money comes in next week, can you hold"   Or, "would you take payments"  :scratchchin: Maybe I should hold title and charge 22%  :Twocents:

68RT4ME

A couple years back, I was selling my Dad's old Pickup. had it parked at the end of the driveway instead of placing an ad. I had a guy looking at it. I had $2500.00 firm on the sign. He asks me how much I would take for it. I said while pointing at the sign, $2500.00. He says how bout if I paid in Cash? I said, what else would you be wanting to pay with? He say's, "No, I mean I'd pay right now" I said, "So do it. I'll take $2500.00" He say's, "You won't make me a deal for cash?" I said, Well, I don't want chickens, cows or any other farm animals so it's gotta be CASH. Good Ole U.S. Dollars and and I will only take 2500 of them. He finally laughs and gets his money out. :pullinghair:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

You'd think with the amount of no-shows, I was selling to George Jones  ::) two more, today...  :slap:

nvrbdn

makes you want to not answer the phone. :rotz:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Old Moparz

Quote from: BananaDan on January 22, 2012, 10:52:37 AM
I sold a Neon last year.  One of the guys that came out to see it was an auto glass guy and knew his way around a car pretty well.  He went over this car with a fine-toothed comb for what felt like an hour making periodic calls to his mechanic buddy.  And then it happened.  He opened the radiator cap and tasted the antifreeze.  Thankfully, he didn't come back or call me again.  What a waste of time.  

:coocoo:

Man, I'm still laughing at this tasting the antifreeze stuff.  :smilielol:

I've got a bunch of things I'd like to get rid of, but I'm tired of all the whackoloons that either call, or show up & piss you off. I will admit though, I've had decent luck lately & haven't met any f**ktards I've wanted to strangle.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

jb666

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 22, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Or work on your phone skills? Are you scaring these people away? Maybe you're too honest?   :lol:

nh_mopar_fan

Donating isn't the deal it used to be and you never get as much as you'd get selling it outright.

These days, if you donate the car, you can no longer take book value on your taxes. You now only get to claim what the charity got for the car as a deduction and since charitable contributions are a deduction rather than a tax credit, you're really only getting 28% (assuming that is your tax bracket) in real money.

I've been pretty lucky with selling my cars. The only real dickhead I had was this guy who wanted to buy my Sebring Ragtop with 198K on it. I was asking around 800 for it. He was in NY. He sent his buddy on a train from NY to Boston and then from Boston to the train station in NH. The guy got on the phone and started speaking in arabic to his buddy in NY as he looked the car over. He finally gave the phone to me and started in on some of the issues (all of which were in the ad) and try to get me to come down.   :slap:

I told him no and his buddy could get a train ticket home.  :smilielol:

Sold.  :2thumbs:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: jb666 on January 22, 2012, 07:46:16 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on January 22, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Or work on your phone skills? Are you scaring these people away? Maybe you're too honest?   :lol:

Doubtful, as honesty is a virtue, or so I was raised...  Our vehicle needs nothing mechanical and honestly, nobody is asking any serious questions. I think the "under $5k market" is full of people who probably couldn't rub two nickels together  :Twocents:

Fred

Quote from: The70RT on January 22, 2012, 11:04:42 AM
I was selling a Nissan Skyline a few weeks ago and had people all over the US wanting it. I took the ad off Craigslist three times betides I said the first one that sends me a down payment gets it. I never wasted more time in my life in that two weeks dealing with idiots. I would send them 20 pictures and they would say OK I have to sell my car or I'm waiting on a settlement..blablah. the worst one was a guy wanting to trade a  mustang that wasa worth two grand and ::) I wanted 12

Yeah, that's my favourite line too (I have to sell my car first) then why the hell bother wasting my time. I'm not waiting till you do!  Why even start looking to buy another when you damn well can't until you've sold yours.  :brickwall:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Steve@BentonMotorsports

I know what you mean about people.

recently I had a 94 integra with new motor and turbo, suspension, wheels, hondata, boost control, ton of aftermarket gauges and more. I bought it as a repo the guy tried running and ran into a trailer hitch so it needs a bumper cover hood core support work and the new radiator (it came with it). I put $2500 firm. I recieved calls and text will you take $700 and crap like that. or "what does it need" "what all is done to it". took a month and it sold for the $2500 afters hundreds of text calls and emails. I had one guy say "Oh that motor with turbo set up is only worth $300 with paperwork" I laughed so hard I told him to go find a stock rebuilt motor (of course n/a) for that price. he hung up when I told him I wasnt no 15 y/o seeling it. the car maid around 325 hp at wheels.
95 Firebird Formula project

74 Charger definate project

68 Bullitt Charger

As you all know, there are lots of Tire Kickers out there. Very rare someone places something for sale, a buyer shows up, likes the car and pays cash w/o all kinds of nonsense.  :shruggy:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

bill440rt

Quote from: 68 Bullitt Charger on January 23, 2012, 09:49:49 PM
As you all know, there are lots of Tire Kickers out there. Very rare someone places something for sale, a buyer shows up, likes the car and pays cash w/o all kinds of nonsense.  :shruggy:

It's been like that with just about every car I've ever sold. Buyer comes, likes it a lot, and either bought it on the spot or left a deposit. It's all the other non-automotive crap that I've ever tried to sell that it became an open invitation for the mindless.  :eek2:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Update: We sold the vehicle to a guy who answered our ad @ $4,200, came and drove the vehicle, loved it - wife loved it - MIL loved it, then he kicked them out, and offered me $3,500. Said, "God told him if I were a decent man, I'd accept"

Since I had a standing offer (for $4k) from another guy who never showed the 2nd time (and I hadn't chased him down to see if was for real), I told him to find $500.00 more bucks and it was his... He did, and that was the last I heard... :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Daytona R/T SE

I hate selling stuff.

Too many idiots out there...

I did get a "good" offer on my Imperial a few weeks ago...

"Would you trade straight up for my Mom's '86 Caprice four door?"

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

...By the way, I'm in California and...

Nice try, kid.  :brickwall:

Go away :slap: ::)

1974dodgecharger

why is selling or buying always a hassle with private transactions. 

the seller majority fo the time thinks his shit dont stink and that what he owns is increasing in value the more he talks.....

Sometimes the buyer thinks they deserve more in this world and it begins with that specific transaction....

Ghoste

It's just human nature, we all want to make sure we keep our own pile of coconuts as high as we can.  :lol:

68RED4SPEED

Tomorrow 10.30 PM I will pickup a guy at the local airport, wednesday morning we will drive to the bank and close the deal, really hopes he shows up, sold my convertible.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Steve@BentonMotorsports on January 23, 2012, 12:03:09 AM
I know what you mean about people.

recently I had a 94 integra with new motor and turbo, suspension, wheels, hondata, boost control, ton of aftermarket gauges and more. I bought it as a repo the guy tried running and ran into a trailer hitch so it needs a bumper cover hood core support work and the new radiator (it came with it). I put $2500 firm. I recieved calls and text will you take $700 and crap like that. or "what does it need" "what all is done to it". took a month and it sold for the $2500 afters hundreds of text calls and emails. I had one guy say "Oh that motor with turbo set up is only worth $300 with paperwork" I laughed so hard I told him to go find a stock rebuilt motor (of course n/a) for that price. he hung up when I told him I wasnt no 15 y/o seeling it. the car maid around 325 hp at wheels.

325hp for only 2500 bucks really?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 68RED4SPEED on September 03, 2012, 02:28:28 AM
Tomorrow 10.30 PM I will pickup a guy at the local airport, wednesday morning we will drive to the bank and close the deal, really hopes he shows up, sold my convertible.

how much?

moparstuart

wow  one of my dream cars  70 coronet convert  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE