News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Memphis' 70 resto-mod

Started by Memphis Mopar, February 28, 2012, 08:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on September 18, 2012, 04:13:10 PM
Today I ordered the transmission for the charger. A TR-6060 6 speed. I will post up a few pics when it comes in.
I'm thinking about doing this in my car also , will follow this thread , who's kit did you go with ? American power train ?  Keisler  ???   I found a nice used viper trans with 5k on it and will add all the other stuff i need from one of them .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Will Keisler sell the rest of the stuff like that?

Memphis Mopar

@moparstuart I ordered the transmission from the local Dodge dealership where I bought my Ram truck. I am going with the 6.4  392 Hemi set up.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 18, 2012, 04:24:35 PM
Will Keisler sell the rest of the stuff like that?
there is not a complete kit for the viper tranny  so you have to piece stuff like tranny crossmember and speedo set up from outside anyway .  My buddy is doing a 5 speed set up in his 71 challenger so we are going to buy together to try and get a better price . Hes getting tranny and all .

Ghoste

Ah, I see.  I thought Keisler would only deal in complete kits with transmission and everything.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 18, 2012, 04:28:16 PM
Ah, I see.  I thought Keisler would only deal in complete kits with transmission and everything.
maybe i havent called them  , there customer service leaves alot to be desired from what i hear .

bill440rt

Quote from: moparstuart on September 18, 2012, 04:30:54 PM
maybe i havent called them  , there customer service leaves alot to be desired from what i hear .

I'll go on record by saying I had GOOD customer service from them.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparstuart

Quote from: bill440rt on September 18, 2012, 07:02:54 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on September 18, 2012, 04:30:54 PM
maybe , i havent called them  , there customer service leaves alot to be desired from what i hear .

I'll go on record by saying I had GOOD customer service from them.  :yesnod:
:cheers: :2thumbs:

Memphis Mopar

Picked up the 6 speed from the dealership this morning.

moparstuart

JB400

Well, looks like you got visited early by the Great Pumpkin!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

b5blue

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on September 25, 2012, 02:56:22 PM

New parts  :drool5:

I'm curious how your going to attach the drive shaft?
What shifter will you use?
How will you operate the speedometer that transmission has no output for one?

moparstuart

Quote from: thedodgeboys on September 27, 2012, 03:54:21 AM
Quote from: Memphis Mopar on September 25, 2012, 02:56:22 PM

New parts  :drool5:

I'm curious how your going to attach the drive shaft?
What shifter will you use?
How will you operate the speedometer that transmission has no output for one?

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Ghoste

Can't you just adapt an electric speed sensor somewhere?  No matter what the transmission came out of, that vehicle would have had a speedo.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2012, 06:53:04 AM
Can't you just adapt an electric speed sensor somewhere?  No matter what the transmission came out of, that vehicle would have had a speedo.
speed sensors are on the wheels now  , make it tougher to adapt to older technology speed o and for sure cable speedos  , but there are some street rod stuff out there .

Ghoste

I guess the speedo question is answered then.

JB400

There are adapters for converting electronic signals from the transmission up to the speedo.  Or just use an electronic speedo.

200MPH

wow i love the work going in to this :popcrn: and the concept drawing im digging the color combo :2thumbs:
Charger

nvrbdn

with the talk of the electronic speedo, mine in my quad cab truck will be fine, then i can hit a bump and it starts bouncing, then goes dead. ill just run by the tac, but hit a bump and the speedo bounces a few times and comes back on. then you can hit all the bumps you want with no problem. what gives?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2012, 08:32:13 AM
I guess the speedo question is answered then.

No it's not :)

I want to know what Memphis MOPAR will be using I'm sure he has a plan  :2thumbs:

Memphis Mopar

@ thedodgeboys.. The drive shaft will be custom. After talking to my builder the set up will utilize some oem parts to connect the front side of the drive shaft to the out put of the transmission. I am buying the S60 rear end from strange. Not sure which shifter I will be using yet, once the car is in mock up the shifter location will be decided and which vendor/company I will use. As far as the speedometer Josh has a plan for that. Not sure the total detail yet. Josh explained part of it to me today. When I get further details I will post them up.

moparstuart

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on September 28, 2012, 07:25:25 PM
@ thedodgeboys.. The drive shaft will be custom. After talking to my builder the set up will utilize some oem parts to connect the front side of the drive shaft to the out put of the transmission. I am buying the S60 rear end from strange. Not sure which shifter I will be using yet, once the car is in mock up the shifter location will be decided and which vendor/company I will use. As far as the speedometer Josh has a plan for that. Not sure the total detail yet. Josh explained part of it to me today. When I get further details I will post them up.
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on September 28, 2012, 07:25:25 PM

Thanks for the reply if it's not to late you may want to return that stock challenger Trans to dodge and order a t56 magnum. It will solve a lot of your engerning challenges. Its the same as the inside  only it comes with 2 speedo out puts one cable, one electric and a slip yoke for drive shaft. They also make a lower crossmember for this swap if you still have part of your original left in the car.

I did the same thing on my build, ordered up a stocker  :brickwall: then installed the magnum.  :2thumbs:

Even if you have to pay a restocking fee it's money saved on adapting and fabricating.  :Twocents:

Memphis Mopar

@ thedodgeboys... Thank you I will definitely take that under advisement. I am going on Wednesday to see the car and to take the transmission to my builder. I will let Josh have a look at the TR6060 and see if his plans for it will work. Not sure if I can return it or not due to it was an special order. Also I got a great deal on it. Thanks again I welcome imput from you and others in the DC community because I am starting down a road that many others have already been down.  :cheers: