News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Chinese cars to hit US market in 07

Started by BB1, January 28, 2006, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

Look out, here they come, from the guy that brought you the Yugo.  :rotz:

Related article 2005 v

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/02/A01-47455.htm

As if the US auto industry had enough problems.

I can't wait intill the fart cans to show up on them.  :icon_smile_dead:
Delete my profile

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

NHCharger

THat was an interesting article. I don't see how people in the U.S. will accept those cars. However I do remember in the mid 70's  my brother buying a Datsun B-210 and me laughing at him. He was the last one laughing when I sold my Chevelle because I couldn't afford the gas, repair costs and waiting in gas lines 4 days a week.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RECHRGD

They will sell.  I'm suprised Wal-Mart isn't already importing them.  Goodby BIG THREE.  Our damn politicians our selling us out again.  There should be one American car imported to China for every Chinese car exported to the U.S. IMO.  Bob  :flame: :flame:
13.53 @ 105.32

NHCharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 28, 2006, 10:00:12 AM
There should be one American car imported to China for every Chinese car exported to the U.S. IMO.  Bob  :flame: :flame:

how many chinese could accord an American made car? What do GM or Ford employees make per hour versus the chinese auto workers? Maybe our government should slap a tarriff of 5k per car on them.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

andy74

Quote from: NHCharger on January 28, 2006, 10:05:35 AM
There should be one American car imported to China for every Chinese car exported to the U.S. IMO.  Bob  :flame: :flame:

how many chinese could accord an American made car? What do GM or Ford employees make per hour versus the chinese auto workers? Maybe our government should slap a tarriff of 5k per car on them.
im all for that,what have the chinese done for us?regan pu tariffs on imports when he was prez,and it worked then-support the us

hemihead

Why do you think the import car makers are building their cars here?Not to give Americans jobs I assure you.It is so they don't have to pay to import them here.All you have to do is stop buying them.And you thought is was great for America LMAO!  :-\
  Led Zeppelin

BrianShaughnessy

The only good thing to having cheap crap chinese cars coming in would be that it might kill a few japanese or korean  car companies. 
Personally I wouldn't let them in... big tariff or failed for safety or environmentals, whatever...    I'm sure somebody that doesn't actually produce anything for a living will say that cheap imports that kill US businesses and jobs are a good thing.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BB1

There already stole designs from GM, got to love the commies.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/02/A08-47232.htm

Broom broom  :puke:

Delete my profile

chargervert

Damn! Thats gonna put a dent in the sales of the new Challenger! :icon_smile_big:

Darkness

I bet you a lot of those young females will buy that car because it is "cute."  :smilielol:

Johnny SixPack

Anybody have a problem with the highlighted portion of this telling bit from the second article?

"Chery exported around 10,000 vehicles last year -- more than any other Chinese carmaker -- to a dozen countries, including Cuba, Egypt and Bangladesh. It also has plans to assemble cars in Iran and Malaysia."

We know for a fact the Iranians are global terrorism supporters, and Malaysia is fast become a Islamic terrorist hot bed in its own right.

I can't believe our government would be so short sighted as to allow a company to build its products in these locations (with designs possibly stolen from American companies) and then sell them here.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Silver R/T

Quote from: hemihead on January 28, 2006, 10:14:01 AM
Why do you think the import car makers are building their cars here?Not to give Americans jobs I assure you.It is so they don't have to pay to import them here.All you have to do is stop buying them.And you thought is was great for America LMAO! :-\

stop buying them? and buy what.. US poor quality crap like neon/cavalier etc etc. No offense but import cars are built much better than most US made cars. And im not talking about just Japanese, theres Italian cars, German cars that are built much better than cars over here.
As far as economy yes I agree its bad for US to buy all these import cars, losing jobs to foreign countries. But what you can do when average american wants toyota over chevy.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: cudahob3 on January 28, 2006, 08:45:23 AM
Look out, here they come, from the guy that brought you the Yugo.  :rotz:

Related article 2005 v

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/02/A01-47455.htm

As if the US auto industry had enough problems.

I can't wait intill the fart cans to show up on them.  :icon_smile_dead:

as far as I know yugo was yugoslavian car, someone correct me if Im wrong

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

miller

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 28, 2006, 01:31:07 PM
Quote from: hemihead on January 28, 2006, 10:14:01 AM
Why do you think the import car makers are building their cars here?Not to give Americans jobs I assure you.It is so they don't have to pay to import them here.All you have to do is stop buying them.And you thought is was great for America LMAO! :-\

stop buying them? and buy what.. US poor quality crap like neon/cavalier etc etc. No offense but import cars are built much better than most US made cars. And im not talking about just Japanese, theres Italian cars, German cars that are built much better than cars over here.
As far as economy yes I agree its bad for US to buy all these import cars, losing jobs to foreign countries. But what you can do when average american wants toyota over chevy.

woah woah woah here, dont be bashin the neon, its my first car and i love it dearly. Its cheap, great fuel economy, decent power for a little car, and is fun in the turns... besides what other car smiles at you while you walk towards it to go to school in the morning! ;D

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Silver R/T

neons suck period! especially older ones pre 99 I believe. 99% of them would get warped head at like 30k miles. Guy that I know has one and hes into neons but he already had to change clutch only at 40K miles and fixes other problems regularly. Also they drop value as fast as Jessica Simpson drops her bra for photoshoot

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

Well being as China is the emerging "Giant", and it's plants and designs are (going to be) the most modern in the world...
  it was/is really just a matter of time...    ...Just like when the U.S. ecomony took off and swept around the globe, now that the world ecomomy has emerged China is set to sweep up "market Share" much like the Japanese did in the late '60s and into the '70s,
 China is what? 20-50 times larger then Japan?..
There's this theroy i suscribe to called  "The Law of Diffusion"...
 Ain't no sense worrying about it, I suggest you guys learn to speak some chinese, and I'm not kidding.

I've been keeping up with the chinese auto industry thru Vinces' Car Pages...
Which I've linked here many times...
 Strat

(BTW: What's hi-jacking a thread mean?..)

andy74

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 28, 2006, 02:04:30 PM
neons suck period! especially older ones pre 99 I believe. 99% of them would get warped head at like 30k miles. Guy that I know has one and hes into neons but he already had to change clutch only at 40K miles and fixes other problems regularly. Also they drop value as fast as Jessica Simpson drops her bra for photoshoot

Once again you have opened your stupid ass'd mouth over something you know little to nothing about. But since you know everything  why dont you educate your buddy on how to drive a manual transmission so his clutch wont go out at 40k miles giving the Neon a bad name.

Todd

Charger_Fan

Quote from: NHCharger on January 28, 2006, 10:05:35 AM

How many Chinese can afford to buy a Chinese car? The poor bastards can barely afford a moped, half the time. :rotz:

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 28, 2006, 01:31:07 PM
As far as economy yes I agree its bad for US to buy all these import cars, losing jobs to foreign countries.
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
But you have absolutely no problem buying an import car, do you? :crazy:

I don't give a low-flying rat's ass if foreign cars are made better. I was born in America, choose to STAY living in America & choose to support our AMERICAN economy any way I can.
IMO, China makes too much of our money as it is, with all the other BS we keep importing...the last thing we need is their crappy cars too.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargervert

I have never,nor will ever own a car thats not American! I have had Dodge trucks that work for a living,that have had over 200,000 miles on them! No Chineese company is getting a dime of my money! Back in the seventies,and eighties,American cars had quality issues,I don't see that so much anymore!

andy74

Quote from: chargervert on January 28, 2006, 03:03:06 PM
I have never,nor will ever own a car thats not American! I have had Dodge trucks that work for a living,that have had over 200,000 miles on them! No Chineese company is getting a dime of my money! Back in the seventies,and eighties,American cars had quality issues,I don't see that so much anymore!
actually all the surveys and such show that american cars are better built than the imports,its the public perception from the late 70s early 80s that sticks in most peoples minds

BrianShaughnessy

Recent article relative to the quality issue.   http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/01/23/american_cars/index.html

I'm fairly positive that there will be somebody I know probably buy one of these former and future razorblades just because it's cheap and they feel it's their right to.    I knew people that bought yugo's too for that matter.   If I pass them by I'll beep the horn while they're waiting for the tow truck.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Darkness

Silver, I hate to brake it to you but, the Cavalier is a joint partner by Chevrolet and Toyota. Don't believe me? I was stationed in Japan for two years and they had the 95-04 bodystyle Cavaliers. Want to know something? They were called a Toyota Cavalier. Yes you read right and they had the 2.4 Toyota Engine which from what I recall is still used by Toyota and they have Oldsmobile wheels. So, the next time you call the Cavalier "crap" think again. They're not completely Chevrolet based anymore.

In addition to your post Silver, last time checked a lot of newer Chrysler stuff isn't Chrysler stuff. Ever go look at a 300C or Dodge Magnum? A lot of the parts come from the German Sister's MB's cars. Look at that gas pedal. Completely Mercedes. The MDS on those cars; again Mercedes had ownership; and then the ESP for them; yes MB again.

Now, since American stuff is "crap" ever look at a Nissan Titan? Did you know the frame on those trucks is built by the same company who builds the F150 frames. Would make sense to me since Ford and Nissan still might kind of have a partnership and they shared a minivan platform back in the late 90s.

The point I'm trying to drive is that not all American stuff is American stuff completely. Today it's more a melting pot where everything is mixed in. This in turn improves quality of what you see in "most" automobiles. Now, it is still possible to get a bad one out of the group but, not all American stuff is crap.

As for the Chinese cars I have another interesting thing to show you. Here's a Chinese SUV that they're trying to get over but, its not too safe:  http://www.madville.com/link.php?id=115902&t=23

http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/08/jiangling-landwind-x6-crash-test-by-tuv/

With that said I won't add anymore. Believe what you want but, I know where I stand. I used to own a 2004 Nissan Titan. After having it I traded it in for a 2004 Dodge Ram. So far so good knock on wood. Take it easy and have a good one.

Highbanked Hauler

Like the song says,  Its the final countdown :flame: so other than not buy the crap cans what can we do?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 89vert4x4 on January 28, 2006, 03:46:31 PM

Here's a Chinese SUV that they're trying to get over but, its not too safe:  http://www.madville.com/link.php?id=115902&t=23

"This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering," said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust."
That seems about right...since the friggin' thing looks like a 95 Explorer. :rotz:

I agree with your thoughts on "not all American stuff is American stuff completely". It would be interesting to see which (if any) American made vehicles these days are actually made from...let's say, more than 80% American parts. Maybe the 3 ton trucks & that's about it.
Pretty depressing.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 28, 2006, 02:48:10 PM

Once again you have opened your stupid ass'd mouth over something you know little to nothing about. But since you know everything why dont you educate your buddy on how to drive a manual transmission so his clutch wont go out at 40k miles giving the Neon a bad name.

Todd

maybe your smart ass would rather go join neons.org ?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on January 28, 2006, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: chargervert on January 28, 2006, 03:03:06 PM
actually all the surveys and such show that american cars are better built than the imports,its the public perception from the late 70s early 80s that sticks in most peoples minds

F((( I cant believe someone can be so ignorant, You';re just being proud of something thats NOT there (quality) in US car

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: 89vert4x4 on January 28, 2006, 03:46:31 PM
Silver, I hate to brake it to you but, the Cavalier is a joint partner by Chevrolet and Toyota. Don't believe me? I was stationed in Japan for two years and they had the 95-04 bodystyle Cavaliers. Want to know something? They were called a Toyota Cavalier. Yes you read right and they had the 2.4 Toyota Engine which from what I recall is still used by Toyota and they have Oldsmobile wheels. So, the next time you call the Cavalier "crap" think again. They're not completely Chevrolet based anymore.

In addition to your post Silver, last time checked a lot of newer Chrysler stuff isn't Chrysler stuff. Ever go look at a 300C or Dodge Magnum? A lot of the parts come from the German Sister's MB's cars. Look at that gas pedal. Completely Mercedes. The MDS on those cars; again Mercedes had ownership; and then the ESP for them; yes MB again.

Now, since American stuff is "crap" ever look at a Nissan Titan? Did you know the frame on those trucks is built by the same company who builds the F150 frames. Would make sense to me since Ford and Nissan still might kind of have a partnership and they shared a minivan platform back in the late 90s.

The point I'm trying to drive is that not all American stuff is American stuff completely. Today it's more a melting pot where everything is mixed in. This in turn improves quality of what you see in "most" automobiles. Now, it is still possible to get a bad one out of the group but, not all American stuff is crap.

As for the Chinese cars I have another interesting thing to show you. Here's a Chinese SUV that they're trying to get over but, its not too safe: http://www.madville.com/link.php?id=115902&t=23

http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/08/jiangling-landwind-x6-crash-test-by-tuv/

With that said I won't add anymore. Believe what you want but, I know where I stand. I used to own a 2004 Nissan Titan. After having it I traded it in for a 2004 Dodge Ram. So far so good knock on wood. Take it easy and have a good one.

Yes the only reason DCX is still surviving is cause they use foreign engineering, same with ford who uses mazda engines in some of their cars/vans/trucks.
Why do they use all these import parts (mainly drivetrain) in their US built cars? Because they know they dont build as good of parts so they must use foreign parts to have their cars sell

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Darkness

Silver you're missing the point I believe. As for the Ford thing its the other way around. The 2.3 that you see in the Mazda 6s are actually Ford Engines. They import parts because the overseas suppliers are probably cheaper with their labor and what not. Remember the money talks and the bullcrap walks when it comes to business. They're looking to get it done decent with the cheapest possible. Every few dollars they can save and this goes for all global industry then don't think they won't hop on it to fill their pockets with a little green for themselves. However cheaper is not always better. Sometimes you get what you pay for when it comes to buying. But, everything in the end is a crapshoot.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 28, 2006, 06:51:40 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 28, 2006, 02:48:10 PM

Once again you have opened your stupid ass'd mouth over something you know little to nothing about. But since you know everything why dont you educate your buddy on how to drive a manual transmission so his clutch wont go out at 40k miles giving the Neon a bad name.

Todd

maybe your smart ass would rather go join neons.org ?

Is that the best you can do dickhead?   

Todd

Silver R/T

ford used mazda engines in their probes (kl series) which are MAZDA engines and are made in Japan, also some mitsubishi parts are used on mazdas

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Darkness

Maybe in the Probes but, don't forget Nissan and Ford also had a partnership.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RD

man I am screwed... I have a 98 dodge neon and its head hasnt warped, the car has 155,000 miles on it, I have a 5 spd, and well Silver said its crap.  What am I to do?????  I mean, I have only had to replace a timing belt (not because it broke, but there was 90,000 miles on the car) and a Oil pan gasket!!!!  GEEZZZ the turmoil!!!  the angst!!! the confusion!!!!

SILVER SAVE ME!!! MY NEON WILL FALL APART ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU SAID!  HOW CAN I SAVE MY CAR!!

hehe, sorry, being a smart ass.  car runs great and gets 35 mpg highway. :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Dave22443

Is it hot in here or what?

I know I'm fairly new to this board but dang, I've never seen you guys cut each other throats so much.  Touchy subject?  I haven't seen this kind of fighting since the last time I visited a Republican vs. Democrat board.  :icon_smile_big:

Of course I know that my '98 Dodge Ram (83,000 miles), my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country (64,000 miles), and my '96 Neon (80,000 miles so far without a head gasket or a clutch) aren't 100% American made, but then, I'm not sure that my '68 Dodge Charger (who cares how many miles) is either?

But I think its unfair to compair China's cars to other higher quality cars like Japan or Germany, for two very important reasons. 

1) The Chinese have very few great ideas of their own.
2) Their steal is inferior to our own.

My neighbor bought a cheap tractor with a front loader on it.  Made in China.  Bragged about how much he saved on it over a John Deere or a Case.  Imagine his suprise when it was just 3 months old and the entire front axel snapped in half!  (while running empty no less!)

But the number one reason why I will never buy a Chinese automobile?  COMMUNISTS!  :flame:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Brock Samson

Damn Silver!  how can you be so far outta whack about everything?..
read this entire post again from the beginning, oh and lighten up on the punctuation...  :icon_smile_wink:

"F((( I cant believe someone can be so ignorant, You';re just being proud of something thats NOT there (quality) in US car"

* from the mind of Silver...   :yesnod:

NHCharger

Quote from: Dave22443 on January 28, 2006, 11:04:05 PM

I know I'm fairly new to this board but dang, I've never seen you guys cut each other throats so much.  Touchy subject?  I haven't seen this kind of fighting since the last time I visited a Republican vs. Democrat board. 

No problems here. Silver likes to stir the pot once an awhile, or maybe he's smokin' da pot :smoke:
I did see a article last month that backs up what Andy said. It was a long list of cars starting from very reliable to least reliable. Most of the American cars did well. the worst car was a Nissan, one of their SUV's I believe.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on January 28, 2006, 10:47:55 PM
man I am screwed... I have a 98 dodge neon and its head hasnt warped, the car has 155,000 miles on it, I have a 5 spd, and well Silver said its crap.  What am I to do?????  I mean, I have only had to replace a timing belt (not because it broke, but there was 90,000 miles on the car) and a Oil pan gasket!!!!  GEEZZZ the turmoil!!!  the angst!!! the confusion!!!!

SILVER SAVE ME!!! MY NEON WILL FALL APART ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU SAID!  HOW CAN I SAVE MY CAR!!

hehe, sorry, being a smart ass.  car runs great and gets 35 mpg highway. :D :D

Shouldnt you be over at Neons.org  with me you smart ass!    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

derailed

this company will probably go belly up in a few years anyways. Sell people a piece of shit with a 10 year/100000 mile warranty that they might as well wipe there ass with when the company is no longer around like Daewoo.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: derailed on January 29, 2006, 12:32:49 AM
this company will probably go belly up in a few years anyways. Sell people a piece of shit with a 10 year/100000 mile warranty that they might as well wipe there ass with when the company is no longer around like Daewoo.

Dae-who? :D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

MadScientist

Alright.... I guess I'll chime in here too even though I probably shouldnt...

My 1996 Neon Sport Coupe 5spd has 199,000 on it with regular revs to 5500 and nothing but regular maintenance.  And I was a member of Neons.org until I got my pair of 70-500s to occupy my time.  There are definitely worse cars than these out there.

As for tariffs..bring em on!  I remember when Iacocca and crew went over to Japan to negotiate...  A Jeep Cherokee (base model) over there was selling for almost the equivalent of $30K US. It was $14K here.

Anyway...

MS

miller

you wanna go big man, come on, we will take this to the drag strip, your charger against my neon, ill whoop ya, cuz ill get 30 mpg and you get around 12ish so maahahahaah!

but in all seriousness, i realize that 99 neons and below have head gasket problems, but i replaced that little sucker and it runs like a top, see you at the gas pump baby!

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Charger Aficionado

I had a neon once...  Ran good.  Got it Stolen in T.J. Damn it. 
  Besides all the bickering... I love my Chargers.  And I WILL find a MINTY 318 Charger for a Daily Driver.  Love the 318 Gas mileage in a B body!  I drove from L.A. to Fresno, and had 1/8th a tank left in my '68 Satellite...  Not too shabby...  Prolly could've made it all the way home, but didn't want to chance it...

Silver R/T

Quote from: NHCharger on January 28, 2006, 11:22:33 PM
Quote from: Dave22443 on January 28, 2006, 11:04:05 PM

I know I'm fairly new to this board but dang, I've never seen you guys cut each other throats so much. Touchy subject? I haven't seen this kind of fighting since the last time I visited a Republican vs. Democrat board.

No problems here. Silver likes to stir the pot once an awhile, or maybe he's smokin' da pot :smoke:
I did see a article last month that backs up what Andy said. It was a long list of cars starting from very reliable to least reliable. Most of the American cars did well. the worst car was a Nissan, one of their SUV's I believe.

I would like to see that list please, and of course who put it together too

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

I make a motion that we rename this thread into the 'official"silver proves just how little he really knows" thread.' :lol:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

hemihead

So many good points made here.The misconception that U.S. cars are inferior seems to still linger in people's minds , which has been addressed by the Big 3 and very very much been altered.And talking about the Probe,it was a MAZDA designed car to begin with not really a Ford and if it was so great how come they quit making it?GM is in bed with the Chinese so you will see alot of Chinese cars that look like GM's.I hear the new Camaro will be made in China.How many idiots will suck that car up?As far as a Global Economy goes,DCX owns Mopar, fine.Still U.S. gets some money and jobs from it.Mopar still owns stock in Mitsubishi.Ford owns Cooper,Mazda,I think Saab,Jaguar.GM has Volvo,Saturn,I know there is others but I can't think of them now.And they have close ties with Toyota.The point is that the Big 3 may be down but they are not out.They still have control of the industry.And for all the people that think U.S. cars are so inferior in quality I would like to ask them,Why did you buy a classic Mopar?Sorry to say but they had to have the worst quality of the Big 3 at a time when quality was the lowest.I own one because the quality never bothered me, I learned to live with it.But for you people who rave about how great imports are,maybe you would enjoy collecting classic Datsuns instead.
  Led Zeppelin

Mike DC

I was about to comment on the 240,000 miles that my '96 Jeep Cherokee's original auto tranny has lasted, until I remembered that it's actually an asian tranny that I'm talking about.  The auto industry is global now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detriot can make quality stuff when it wants to.  But too often, it only really "wants to" when the car/truck is one of the more prestigious models in the fleet.  I'd trust most used Silverados or Dodge Rams with my life, but I wouldn't trust a Cavalier or a Neon (made by the same shift at the same factory) to get me home from the dealership.  

Right now I think Detriot actually wants to make its drivetrains last 150,000 miles and more, but they still don't care how long the electrical swtiches & door handles & upholstery holds up once the first owner has sold it.  Toyota seems much better about this kind of thing.

The Asian brands really should not all be grouped together in these discussions.  Toyotas & Hondas are some of the most admired mechanical products on the planet right now, whereas I don't think Daewoos & Hyundais are even classified as automobiles in all 50 states yet.

6670charger

I have no problem with it as long as they allow our cars into their country.  We have a free enterprise system in the U.S. and the only way it will function properly is if we allow everyone to participate.  Hopefully that also applies to the Chinese.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

BB1

Wow, how'd we get from Chinese cars to Neon bashing.  :-\

Who'da thunk it.  ;D
Delete my profile

AKcharger

hemihead

Led Zeppelin

Brock Samson

Old Moparz

Here's some more input on Chinese products. The first thing I do when buying something, & that means anything from tools, to clothing, to electronics, to cars, is see where it's made. If at all possible, I really do try avoid Chinese products for 2 main reasons, the inferior quality & the repressive government in that country. (I won't go into detail, or it'll lock the topic.) Avoiding Chinese made products entirely, or even researching all the parts of a product you do buy, is virtually impossible. I'm sure a lot of components within day to day items we buy & use regularly are all from China.

I will say that the inferior quality seems to have changed & improved in the last 5 to 10 years. Not to a point where it's superior, but to a point where it's usable. Sears is selling "Companion" brand tools that are all made there, and they seem to be a lot better than most of the Chinese tools I'm used to seeing. When I needed a cheap, spare set of basic hand tools to keep in my camping trailer, I bought a small, packaged set in case of an emergency. I'm not leaving expensive hand tools in a trailer, & I'm sick of dragging tools back & forth from the garage to the trailer when we go somewhere.

I try to buy whatever the best deal is, not whatever is the cheapest. Sometimes the cheapest buy is the one for the best deal, but most times it isn't. An example would be the crescent wrench I needed for the ball on my hitch. The nut was bigger than all the wrenches I already had, so I went back to Sears for another one. When I saw the price, I said forget it & went to the local flea market & snagged one made in China for $8. It looks cheap, but it's huge & shouldn't break for what I intend to use it for. I think I've used it 5 times in the last 10 years, but I'd have spent the money on a real tool for everyday use.

Of all my hand tools, most of them are Craftsman, & others are another made in USA brand. I have a few items made in China, like the 2000 pound engine stand from Harbor Freight I bought used for $50. It just depends on what the use will be & how often I'll use it. Broken hand tools & the memory of pain from smashed knuckles due to a snapping Chinese wrench is still vividly clear in my mind. That was when I was young, working on my first car, & learned that the 50 piece tool set for $4.99 pretty much sucks unless you enjoy blood flowing from you on a regular basis.

As for a Chinese car, I'll pass on that. I'd hate to think the brakes were made in the same factory as my old $4.99 tool set.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 29, 2006, 07:13:55 AM

Detriot can make quality stuff when it wants to.  But too often, it only really "wants to" when the car/truck is one of the more prestigious models in the fleet.  I'd trust most used Silverados or Dodge Rams with my life, but I wouldn't trust a Cavalier or a Neon (made by the same shift at the same factory) to get me home from the dealership.  

Right now I think Detriot actually wants to make its drivetrains last 150,000 miles and more, but they still don't care how long the electrical swtiches & door handles & upholstery holds up once the first owner has sold it.  Toyota seems much better about this kind of thing.

I dont think a Cavalier and a Neon are made together on the same shift! Maybe Silver can verify this since he is a Neon expert but I do believe the Neon is its own car and not a rebadged japan car?!

As for Detroit not caring how long door handles and electrical switchs hold up  I got a 11 year old Dodge Ram with almost 100000 miles on it and everything is fine and looks like it did the day I bought it new except for some carpet stains. I have a Honda Prelude with 120000 miles on it and its falling apart around me inside and outside.   As a whole though the door handles and so forth are not like they were 20 years ago. Especially when its ice outside and a door is froze shut and needs a little extra pull.

Todd

Charger_Fan

I think that the main idea behind all those $4.99 socket sets was to fill American landfills to an overflowing status as quickly as possible...and of course, cause pain & suffering to individuals along the way. ;D

BTW Moparz, I'm with ya on the part you won't go into detail on. :icon_smile_wink: 

Oh & I didn't know Daewoo had gone nipples-up? THAT'S FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!! :boogie:

71bee

Telvis

Those Chinese cars have been around forever. Back in the seventies this fine Chinese model carried around the number one super hero and his sidkick ;D

Silver R/T

Quote from: Ghost on January 29, 2006, 04:09:22 AM
I make a motion that we rename this thread into the 'official"silver proves just how little he really knows" thread.' :lol:

i would name it...Ghost defends his gay rights (his purple neon he's got) :)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 29, 2006, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: Ghost on January 29, 2006, 04:09:22 AM

i would name it...Ghost defends his gay rights (his purple neon he's got) :)

I dare you to go back and read just 5 pages of your own posts, Silver.

I don't know if it would do any good, but it might keep you quiet for awhile. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:

Silver R/T

I know what you can do to keep yourself quiet for while, but id probably would offend you too much. Its all good, I dont really care what other shit you post to make yourself look funny or whatever.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RallyeMike

Who's to say how well the Chinese cars stand up?   Daewoon't know until a few years have past and the Consumer Reports data is in  :icon_smile_big: 

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

andy74

chinese cars aside, i vote for a rename also

SILVER GO FUCK YOURSELF THREAD- you ignorant son aof a bitch,there are millions of people who live and work in our country,that all depend on the automobile bizz,and you in your 23 years of wisdom choose to bash that?what ever you are going to school for, i hope it dries up and goes over seas too-then you may understand-those of us who count on the north american economy( and dont live with mom and dad)may have some sympathy for you then

Telvis

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on January 29, 2006, 08:10:50 PM
chinese cars aside, i vote for a rename also

SILVER GO FUCK YOURSELF THREAD- you ignorant son aof a bitch,there are millions of people who live and work in our country,that all depend on the automobile bizz,and you in your 23 years of wisdom choose to bash that?what ever you are going to school for, i hope it dries up and goes over seas too-then you may understand-those of us who count on the north american economy( and dont live with mom and dad)may have some sympathy for you then

dont be ignorant moron, I work full-time and do not depend on my parents. My father is not even in this country and last time I saw him was 9 years ago. Everything I have I earned working myself. Who the fuck are you fucktard to judge me?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.