News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Chinese cars to hit US market in 07

Started by BB1, January 28, 2006, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Brock Samson

Old Moparz

Here's some more input on Chinese products. The first thing I do when buying something, & that means anything from tools, to clothing, to electronics, to cars, is see where it's made. If at all possible, I really do try avoid Chinese products for 2 main reasons, the inferior quality & the repressive government in that country. (I won't go into detail, or it'll lock the topic.) Avoiding Chinese made products entirely, or even researching all the parts of a product you do buy, is virtually impossible. I'm sure a lot of components within day to day items we buy & use regularly are all from China.

I will say that the inferior quality seems to have changed & improved in the last 5 to 10 years. Not to a point where it's superior, but to a point where it's usable. Sears is selling "Companion" brand tools that are all made there, and they seem to be a lot better than most of the Chinese tools I'm used to seeing. When I needed a cheap, spare set of basic hand tools to keep in my camping trailer, I bought a small, packaged set in case of an emergency. I'm not leaving expensive hand tools in a trailer, & I'm sick of dragging tools back & forth from the garage to the trailer when we go somewhere.

I try to buy whatever the best deal is, not whatever is the cheapest. Sometimes the cheapest buy is the one for the best deal, but most times it isn't. An example would be the crescent wrench I needed for the ball on my hitch. The nut was bigger than all the wrenches I already had, so I went back to Sears for another one. When I saw the price, I said forget it & went to the local flea market & snagged one made in China for $8. It looks cheap, but it's huge & shouldn't break for what I intend to use it for. I think I've used it 5 times in the last 10 years, but I'd have spent the money on a real tool for everyday use.

Of all my hand tools, most of them are Craftsman, & others are another made in USA brand. I have a few items made in China, like the 2000 pound engine stand from Harbor Freight I bought used for $50. It just depends on what the use will be & how often I'll use it. Broken hand tools & the memory of pain from smashed knuckles due to a snapping Chinese wrench is still vividly clear in my mind. That was when I was young, working on my first car, & learned that the 50 piece tool set for $4.99 pretty much sucks unless you enjoy blood flowing from you on a regular basis.

As for a Chinese car, I'll pass on that. I'd hate to think the brakes were made in the same factory as my old $4.99 tool set.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 29, 2006, 07:13:55 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detriot can make quality stuff when it wants to.  But too often, it only really "wants to" when the car/truck is one of the more prestigious models in the fleet.  I'd trust most used Silverados or Dodge Rams with my life, but I wouldn't trust a Cavalier or a Neon (made by the same shift at the same factory) to get me home from the dealership.  

Right now I think Detriot actually wants to make its drivetrains last 150,000 miles and more, but they still don't care how long the electrical swtiches & door handles & upholstery holds up once the first owner has sold it.  Toyota seems much better about this kind of thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think a Cavalier and a Neon are made together on the same shift! Maybe Silver can verify this since he is a Neon expert but I do believe the Neon is its own car and not a rebadged japan car?!

As for Detroit not caring how long door handles and electrical switchs hold up  I got a 11 year old Dodge Ram with almost 100000 miles on it and everything is fine and looks like it did the day I bought it new except for some carpet stains. I have a Honda Prelude with 120000 miles on it and its falling apart around me inside and outside.   As a whole though the door handles and so forth are not like they were 20 years ago. Especially when its ice outside and a door is froze shut and needs a little extra pull.

Todd

Charger_Fan

I think that the main idea behind all those $4.99 socket sets was to fill American landfills to an overflowing status as quickly as possible...and of course, cause pain & suffering to individuals along the way. ;D

BTW Moparz, I'm with ya on the part you won't go into detail on. :icon_smile_wink: 

Oh & I didn't know Daewoo had gone nipples-up? THAT'S FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

71bee

Telvis

Those Chinese cars have been around forever. Back in the seventies this fine Chinese model carried around the number one super hero and his sidkick ;D

Silver R/T

Quote from: Ghost on January 29, 2006, 04:09:22 AM
I make a motion that we rename this thread into the 'official"silver proves just how little he really knows" thread.' :lol:

i would name it...Ghost defends his gay rights (his purple neon he's got) :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 29, 2006, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: Ghost on January 29, 2006, 04:09:22 AM
I make a motion that we rename this thread into the 'official"silver proves just how little he really knows" thread.' :lol:

i would name it...Ghost defends his gay rights (his purple neon he's got) :)

I dare you to go back and read just 5 pages of your own posts, Silver.

I don't know if it would do any good, but it might keep you quiet for awhile. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Silver R/T

I know what you can do to keep yourself quiet for while, but id probably would offend you too much. Its all good, I dont really care what other shit you post to make yourself look funny or whatever.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RallyeMike

Who's to say how well the Chinese cars stand up?   Daewoon't know until a few years have past and the Consumer Reports data is in  :icon_smile_big: 

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

andy74

chinese cars aside, i vote for a rename also

SILVER GO FUCK YOURSELF THREAD- you ignorant son aof a bitch,there are millions of people who live and work in our country,that all depend on the automobile bizz,and you in your 23 years of wisdom choose to bash that?what ever you are going to school for, i hope it dries up and goes over seas too-then you may understand-those of us who count on the north american economy( and dont live with mom and dad)may have some sympathy for you then

Telvis

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on January 29, 2006, 08:10:50 PM
chinese cars aside, i vote for a rename also

SILVER GO FUCK YOURSELF THREAD- you ignorant son aof a bitch,there are millions of people who live and work in our country,that all depend on the automobile bizz,and you in your 23 years of wisdom choose to bash that?what ever you are going to school for, i hope it dries up and goes over seas too-then you may understand-those of us who count on the north american economy( and dont live with mom and dad)may have some sympathy for you then

dont be ignorant moron, I work full-time and do not depend on my parents. My father is not even in this country and last time I saw him was 9 years ago. Everything I have I earned working myself. Who the fuck are you fucktard to judge me?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.