News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheels of Terror 73 Build!!!!

Started by Indygenerallee, April 27, 2012, 06:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Well "Wheels of Terror" Kinda kicked this off when she brought up her tattoo! I had a 73 Charger and have had it listed but no takers yet so I figured why the heck not build a "Wheels of Terror" Charger!!! :icon_smile_big: I pulled it in this evening and started on it, mind you this is gonna be a quickie as my real project is my 69 Daytona clone, but I figured I can do this on the cheap and have a cool on screen car (even if the movie was as fun as watching paint dry!  :smilielol:) I decided to modify the front bumper first and it was not easy!!!! I had to use the wheel lift on my rollback to smash the top bar down and then at the same time the winch to pull it forward so I could tack it before letting the pressure up off of it!!!! Your not gonna use a BFH and get that top bar down in place!!!! :lol: Tomorrow I am going to cut the louver vents in the hood and "smash" it down in the front!!! I am going to buy some black tractor paint and paint it after I give it a VERY quick lower quarter work!!  :smilielol: I will tint the windows with some left over tint I have here in the shop and the SE quarter windows will get the spray paint tint from the inside!!!  :smilielol: Still need 4 plain steelies (could give a crap less what size) although 14's up front and 15's out back would make it look more evil!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Indygenerallee

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

terrible one

Awesome! I think the idea has been kicked around here before, nice to see someone actually going for it!  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

RallyeMike

Yea! This is what  it's all about. Having some fun.

The hood might be tricky.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Indygenerallee

Yeah I have looked at pics and the dip in the middle of the hood and I was thinking of making a relief cut right up the middle to where the dip stops, then push it down then butt weld it back together! I really like the front bumper! I can't wait to put the headlight buckets in it and see how much more "Evil" it looks!!

Mike DC

The hood would probably best be done by pie-cutting the area and welding in a sliver of extra metal.  Maybe a couple of pie-cuts, one on either side of the hood's center raised ridge.  Maybe even add an extra perpendicular section to bring the hood's leading edge back out far enough forward. 

You could just whack it down and have it be more screen-accurate.  But that method didn't look a whole lot like a factory job when the movie crew did it.      

Either way, you might wanna experiment on a junk hood if you can come up with one.  

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger chris

think ill stop by to see what u did to the charger :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Wheels of Terror

That is really awesome! I was going to do that with mine but it was a Spring Special and I wouldnt do it to a Rallye hood. I can't wait to see it when its done. I love the Charger not the actual script. Keep us updated!
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

Fred

Good job................. Would love to see it out and about.  That's going to get plenty of attention out on the road. What fun!

There is a downside though............You're going to get people asking you all sorts of silly questions like what car is that/what year is that!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

71wrenchhead

holy cow

never saw the movie, but i like the way that looks!
:2thumbs:
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

Indygenerallee

Yeah, I figured it will be a car I won't ever have to detail!!!  :smilielol: By the way if anyone has not seen the attrocious movie you can watch it in it's entirety on YouTube.

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 28, 2012, 08:49:42 AM
Yeah, I figured it will be a car I won't ever have to detail!!!  :smilielol: By the way if anyone has not seen the attrocious movie you can watch it in it's entirety on YouTube.

:cheers:
Checking out the youtube clip.. yeah, the rougher the better it seems.

Look forward to seeing the hood
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Kern Dog

This thread got me curious, so I watched a few minutes of that movie. Uhhhh.....
I suppose that you intend to install a 300,000 mile 318 so you spew blue smoke everywhere you go? What the heck, man! That movie car was embarrassing! A Charger that can't outrun a woman driving a school bus with a 4 speed? REALLY??? Hey... I think the Charger looks sorta cool though... all "ratted" out with the bumper mods, flat black appearance and shredded vinyl top.

1BAD68

This is great  :cheers:
The movie bombed so bad that hardly anyone is going to know what car this is but doesn't matter, it will be one of the meanest looking cars ever made.
Even at night that thing looks pissed.
I'll be following this thread. Good job on the bumper too  :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

Well here is another update on "The Terror" The other "Terrors" decided they wanted to help out on it today so I said go at it! They might learn a thing or two so I am going to let them do bodywork and some painting as you can't do anything wrong on this clone!!  :smilielol: Here are a few pics of them fighting over tools and complaining about anything in general!  :lol: I did get the hood modified, I pie cut the middle rib out of it
and it folded downward nicely! I took a piece of 14 ga. steel and welded it back into place, I think it looks pretty darn close to what was in the movie, I also got a couple of the hood "vents" cut and bent need to finish them but otherwise I am pleased with how it's coming along! I think I am going to buy a gallon of rust-o-leum flat black to paint it!! Here are the pics!!   

100_1215 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1216 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1214 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1217 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1220 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1221 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Smoothed it over with some chop strand glass, will need sand it down then one quick coat of filler then ready for some primer and paint!!

100_1223 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Kern Dog

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Cool project!  It is coming along nicely.  The bumper is mean looking, reminds me a lot of a 70 Coronet.  I also scanned "quickly" through the movie on Youtube.  Definitely not the greatest of flicks.  The mud actually has a cool design of sorts.  There are not a ton of pics for this thing and the youtube video is low-res.

joe dirt

*THE ORIGINAL JOE DIRT*

bill440rt

Now THAT is a cool build!!  :2thumbs:

Looks like fun to boot. Can't beat that. Very accurate rendition, can't wait to see the finished product!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

Thanks guy's! I know the film was attrocious but I like the Charger! I watched the film when it came out in 90 I think it was on the USA channel and it was real late at night, they had some big boobed big hair blonde chick hosting cheesy B movies on Friday nights! I kind of forgot about it until a few years ago (with a quality film like "Wheels of Terror" who could forget!  :rofl:) It is something fun and quick and does not have to be "perfect"!! And like I said I hope I can teach my kiddos something along the way and they can work on it without myself sweating they are gonna tear something up!!! :icon_smile_big: