News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.7 Hemi in a B-body

Started by ChargerSG, January 30, 2006, 06:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerSG

I know, but why pay $7999 when you can get one the half of the money....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

PocketThunder

I was planning on doing this same thing with my 68 and i found the following website helpful.

www.hotrodlane.cc   i would also keep the fuel injection.

You can get a 545RFE tranny for about $1,000 shipped.

I decided to pass on this project because i was paying $3500 up front for the HEMI engine, + tranny + wiring harness brought my total up way past what it will cost me to rebuild the 440 that i have.  with the 440 i'll have 150 ft-lbs of additional torque for half the cost..  but i understand wanting the HEMI for the "having a HEMI" factor...

Paul
in St. Paul

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChargerSG

I will check that link out, this one is great www.thehemi.com/newhemiswap.php .
Having a Hemi is sure a thing, but $3500 is allot of money, i was really frustreted yesterday when i lost one on Ebay when it was 3 seconds left for $1285...

dodgeboy67

Quote from: ChargerSG on February 07, 2006, 05:18:41 PM
I know, but why pay $7999 when you can get one the half of the money....

because unless you are getting a hell of a deal on the motor ,by the time you get the hemi and buy the carb and intake(gaskets , etc&your time) you will probably have close to that in it any way....and possibly no warranty

the crate motor is new out of the box , running , ready to go....complete from carb to pan......

but thats my opinion, along with $1.50, that will buy you a cup of coffee

ChargerSG

For $1300 you can get a complete 5.7(outside Ebay even cheaper), if you then stay with the fuel injection its just like $300 in shipping and work, you will have buy some stuff you cant make but stay like 2k with all, then if they take $1000 for carb and intake then its 3k in total, and if its broke then its 1k to fix broken rod and go throu the whole motor.
With a crate one you still have to buy allot of stuff, so then its 10k easy, sure is more easy and you get some kind of warranty. But i cant count my work since thats nothing, you still do it because you want to. And 2k you can borrow without risking your whole economics, and what if its take 4 years and afford all you still own a Hemi. Everybody dont have big wallets....

Thats my point of veiw :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

The modern 5.7L Hemis are probably better because they've been pulled off an assembly line batch, but generally speaking I don't think a "new from MP" motor is worth much.  They're doing TERRIBLE jobs of assembling some of the 426/472/528 crate Hemis. 

And I was talking to John Aruzza himself one time several years ago, and he told me that the much-vaunted 528 crate Hemi accomplishes that displacement by having the cylinders bored to the limit.  So it's impossible to rebore most of the 528 blocks for any overhauls once they wear out.  (What's the point of paying for a new $2500 block when it can't even be re-cut ONCE?)  That's why Aruzza's comparable setup to MP's 528 Hemi is a 511-inch version with more stroke & less bore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody wants 40-year-old performance parts that have been rebuilt 3 times already, but I'd rather have a decent used part from within the last decade than pay extra money for a "new motor" that's badly built & assembled.

dodgeboy67

Quote from: ChargerSG on February 08, 2006, 05:24:32 PM
For $1300 you can get a complete 5.7(outside Ebay even cheaper), if you then stay with the fuel injection its just like $300 in shipping and work, you will have buy some stuff you cant make but stay like 2k with all, then if they take $1000 for carb and intake then its 3k in total, and if its broke then its 1k to fix broken rod and go throu the whole motor.
With a crate one you still have to buy allot of stuff, so then its 10k easy, sure is more easy and you get some kind of warranty. But i cant count my work since thats nothing, you still do it because you want to. And 2k you can borrow without risking your whole economics, and what if its take 4 years and afford all you still own a Hemi. Everybody dont have big wallets....

i dont have big wallet either.....if what you say is true about getting the used motor  for so cheap....then i see exactly what you are saying....the motors ive seen are all around $4k.....where are you finding your motors at? i need to shop there.....i havent seen anything close to that cheap.....that really interests me because my truck motor is about shot

phat69charger

Quote from: dodgeboy67 on February 09, 2006, 04:14:30 PM
Quote from: ChargerSG on February 08, 2006, 05:24:32 PM

i dont have big wallet either.....if what you say is true about getting the used motor  for so cheap....then i see exactly what you are saying....the motors ive seen are all around $4k.....where are you finding your motors at? i need to shop there.....i havent seen anything close to that cheap.....that really interests me because my truck motor is about shot

Check out this site  http://car-part.com/  search in all areas, the page numbers are at the bottom of the page, the one with the astrik has the lowest price.

bull

I have a friend who put a 5.7 in a 1940 Chrysler convertible and he used a home made adapter plate to run either a 340 or 360 intake and carb. He also put a serpentine belt pulley on a distributor to run the ignition. He effectively got rid of all the computer electronics that way. I'll have to talk to him to see how it went.

ChargerSG

That sound very intressting, it would be great to see, picture would be even greater. Thanks Bull...

Dodgeboy i have found at salvageyards(the best ones have been in Canada but then its been little more in shipping) Egay have gonne 3k for a good one, everyone like to have one now, its a regular Joe Hemi and people have disvoerd that its lreally possible and if you not a mastermechanic you buy everything(but not the M1 carb intake)...

Charger_Fan

I just thought I'd throw in a pic of one done, to keep the mouth wet. :drool5: :icon_smile_big:

That's this car, BTW. Sold at B-J this year.
(I know, those back rims look terrible)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Maybe you should wait for a 6.1 crate motor.

Ghoste

I thought DCX was claiming they are not going to release the 6.1 in crate from?  I don't believe it myself but I do think that was what they had announced at one point.

andy74

mopar action has a gtx clone with a 6.1 in it this month,they say its fast as hell,but im sure its a pretty big buck build.right now if you want a 6.1 you have to get a dealer to order it as a replacement engine,there are no crate motors

Ghoste

That article also mentions something about DCX not wanting dealers to sell them to anyone looking to do swaps of this kind.  You haven't heard anything about why that might be have you Andy?  Just a ploy to prevent stealing thunder away from current 6.1 introductions and future 6.1 crate engines?
Or is it even an official policy and just something MA made up?

ChargerSG

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2006, 12:59:27 PM
Just a ploy to prevent stealing thunder away from current 6.1 introductions and future 6.1 crate engines?

:iagree: i think that is the thing, its the same with why they dont sell the M1 carbintake for 5.7 Hemis...

andy74

i will be meeting with my local dcx rep tuesday, have some warranty issues on a few vehicles i need to talk with him about,and ill get the scoop then-ill let you guys know what i find out!i will say that youre probably right in the fact that they dont want to steal thunder from the show room cars and they make more selling new cars than they do selling components(to a degree)

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2006, 12:59:27 PM
That article also mentions something about DCX not wanting dealers to sell them to anyone looking to do swaps of this kind.  You haven't heard anything about why that might be have you Andy?  Just a ploy to prevent stealing thunder away from current 6.1 introductions and future 6.1 crate engines?
Or is it even an official policy and just something MA made up?

Figures. I guess I forgot and used logic in my thinking, as in maybe DCX would like to make more $$$.

Ghoste

There's no market in two doors (or 6.1 Crate Hemi swaps because we aren't going to create one.  If we only allow you to buy a couple of variations of the same thing from us, it's cheaper to build and we get rich quicker). ;)

sixpack70

The problem is they will get mad because their bastard child the charger will get horribly upstaged by old b bodies with new hemis. DCX doesn't want to look that pathetic.

I also had been toying around with the idea of a swap like that. I would just have to find a good 318 car to do it too and get a buttload of cash, and finish my 70 charger R/T first. I was thinking of keeping the computer for the reason of the turn the key and go aspect. There is no carb tuning, it will most likely always start. Flooding problems are reduced etc.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

andy74

the guys from dcx tell me that there will not be any crate 6.1s for at least a year,due to demand for them in cars.that actually makes some sence,due to the fact that even at 40 grand they sell every one they can build,like i said-ill keep any one posted that is interested when i find out some more! ;D 

Ghoste

I suppose that makes more sense than some of their decisions seem to.  Aren't they required to keep a certain number in the pipe for parts purposes though?  You'd think if it were in that much demand, they'd ramp up the engine plant (or maybe it's already at capacity??).

ChargerSG

I think they have allot of parts just waiting to get out, they just wanna sell a serten amount first.... I want the carbintake now :yesnod:

ChargerSG

Finelly bought a 2004 5.7l Hemi with trans and all for $2500, and it was running before lift out of the Ram so hopefully no nasty suprices. So i dont get the hold of the carbintake for it i can for go for all this insted....its on ;D

ChargerSG

At the first i was thinking in doing my own motor mounts to get this motor in to a Charger, then i was thinking i just buy some insted easyier said then done. There are sevral made to fit the 5.7l Hemi into a B-body but then allot of talk about "if you for that one have to make your own headers" or it mounts to high to get the tranny as it should, does anyone know whats best for a 69 Charger of  Street & Performance, TTI,  Mazzolini and soo on?