News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.7 Hemi in a B-body

Started by ChargerSG, January 30, 2006, 06:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siefkerc

Hi there I am currently installing a 5.7 in a 68 dodge charger myself right now.   The folks who have been helping me with the change are out of Arkansas. There web site is www.hodrodlane.cc
The cost compared to a 426 hemi instaliation that is up to the person this is not cheap for an example the wire harness around 900 oil pan another 550 personally I want something different .

ChargerSG

Yeah if looking at their site it sure costs, i know places to get a oilpan for $250 and other parts cheap there are some rodders who build cheap stuff for it like Srpm. But is sure intressting to see a change before doing it, any pictures of the progress?
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

siefkerc

I am installing a 5.7 in 68 charger oil pan is 550 dollars computer another 500 wire harness 950 motor mounts 140 a 727 transmission will bolt to 5.7 need special flex plate also need external electric fuel pump or gas tank with fuel pump inside that is what i am going with another 650 go to www.hot rod lane.cc they are helping me i am selling my 5.7 bran new for 3500 got a 6.1 coming as you can see not cheap but high tech an different.

PocketThunder

Quote from: ChargerSG on February 25, 2006, 10:42:50 AM
Finelly bought a 2004 5.7l Hemi with trans and all for $2500, and it was running before lift out of the Ram so hopefully no nasty suprices. So i dont get the hold of the carbintake for it i can for go for all this insted....its on ;D

I almost bought a 05 5.7 HEMI out of a Ram back in December, the guy wouldnt budge off of $4500, so i'm glad i waited. 

After you guys get this done and all figured out tell me and then i'll do the swap in my 68 318 car :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Aussiemadonmopars

I just wanted to bump this thread along and find out if anyone has any more recent info as I'm looking into this as well. :-\

ChargerSG

At the moment it sits on a stand, i waiting for a dude whos putting one of those in a 40 Ford(horrible isent it ;))i see how he do it soo i dont do same mistake as he :icon_smile_big:
The big thing now before mounting it is the trans, go with the original 5 speed or a 727....

ChargerSG

I found a carbintake and Carb kit for a 5.7L, whoopi i thought untill i heard the price $3995 :brickwall:

73 Charger 440

Hey,

I dont know exactly what progress you've made so far... But I know plenty of people who put LS1s into older vehicles, they usually buy complete packages (motor, trans, PCM and wiring harness) and go one-by-one through the harness and "delete" wires which they do not need... I thought this might be helpful since there are more of those swaps (as in maybe you can get some ideas by searching from them).

RT DAVE

I remember reading something about them re-releasing an even bigger new style "392" hemi.  In fact, there's a picture of an 06 charger drift car in the this month's HOT ROD with 392 hemi badges on the valve covers.    Maybe this is a little R&D venture for the new viper hemi project.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

ChargerSG

After pulling that motor back and forth trying to get it in the car with the original tranny, i realice that i have to cut in the car or change tranny, so my original plan to use it all stock to get a good mileage in it is gone.
So i sold the motor, tranny and everything got a really good price(more than i bought it for) and desided to buy a 5.7L Hemi Crate carb or save for a long time an get a 426 insted.

PocketThunder

Bump. :bump:

anyone new giving this a try?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mhe71

so im replying to this since this is what i was gonna call my new thread but searched instead. i have a 66 charger i want to put a junkyard 5.7l in and connect it too a hemi box a-833 the car its going into is orginally a hemi car so i figure its fitting til i can afford a big boy hemi. right now it has a 440 in it thats blown so i have a v8 k member and big block bell housing any insight on what i will need to do to get this project happening. and is there a flywheel being made now to help in this conversion. im getting long block with wiring and computer and a decent understanding of 12volt electronics

thedodgeboys

motorcitydak

Luckily there are a few companies out there that can help you now.

These guys have a lot of things to help
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/61LHemi.asp
I would use them again for most things

I would buy the harness and ECM from
http://www.hotwireauto.com/

For a little background, I swapped a 5.7 Hemi and 545rfe auto trans into my 96 dakota last March. It runs awesome and I am running a Hot Wire Auto wiring harness and stock reflashed ECM. I have a power steering pump from Bouchillon. I did not use anything from Street and Performance (hotrodlane.cc), they just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. I will also be running a 5.7 Hemi truck motor and 545rfe in my '68 Charger so I will just repeat most of what I did with the truck except without the 4x4.

I did look into running a 833 or other manual behind the 5.7 but I found it to be prohibitivly expensve. The flywheel, clutch, throw-out bearing, bell housing, etc... Just added up to way too much. The 545rfe auto comes stock behind the 5.7, can handle a lot of power and abuse, costs about $300 out of a junk yard with a torque converter and seemed like a way better option. They are larger and heavier but I can deal with that no problem. I strongly recommend you look into the same thing.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will help you out as best as I can.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

A few things I forgot, Mopar makes a lot of parts for this thing like a flywheel and clutch. The 5.7 has the same bolt pattern as a SB so I think you just need a spacer between the bell and block.

Get the complete motor rite out of the JY if you can, no need to mess with trying to find the tiny parts seperately. They will just nickle and dime you to death. Do not bother with the stock wiring harness, there is nothing you can do with it but use it to compare to the new one you actually need. It will not even come with all 4 ECM connections since C2 goes to a lot of 'body components' like the gagues and what not. You can get the ECM, some places can flash it for you to make it usable.

These motors came for the most part with a SKIM security system. Basically, a chip in the key. If the ECM does not see the chip, it will fire up 3 times, run for about 5 seconds then shut down. After the 3rd time, it will not run again until you disconnect the battery for a while. You can only tell if it has the security by seeing the key for the vehicle, the ones with the chip will be fat. The ones without will be thin, just plastic coated sheet metal. Hot Wire Auto offers flashing of ECM's, B&G performace does also but that guy is a little off. Good at what he does, just off.

I also want to point out that you cannot use an ECM from an '03 Ram, they had 1 ECM for the motor and one for the trans. '04 started with 1 ECM for the motor and trans together. Early '04s will not have the security system, late '04 will.

'04-'05 motors are the best to get. '06 and up have the MDS cylinder deactivitation. All that means is that you will have the lifter collapsing solenoids and wiring harness coming out from under the intake manifold. Some guys just run the motors with out the solenoids plugged in but I have heard that they can some times collapse so other guys will replace the lifters with pre-MDS ones. My motor is an '05, it has plugs under the intake where the later MDS solenoids were to be placed.

You also need to decide wether to use a truck 5.7 of a car 5.7. The differences are the intake manifold and front acc placement. I like the truck setup because the throttle body is set way back at about the middle of the motor and the accessories are set up high on the block to give you more room for the steering and K member. Just check around online and you will be able to find a few pics of the two different motors which will help you determine what to run
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

mhe71

well im getting from my buddy so im not sure which style he has. i really want to run the stock tranny but i am afraid the input shaft hole will not be in the crank and what i will do about a compatiable clutch setup i may just buy it and resell it or put in my 5.9l grand cherokee instead

thedodgeboys

:iagree: with most of what motorcitydak said above  :scratchchin: except I like the car motor better it looks cleaner with the ac and alternator down low  :Twocents:

I also like the intake better on the car motor  :coolgleamA:

I used a 6-speed manual in my swap and with 4.10 rear gears I get 22 mpg @ 70 mph with my 6.1 Hemi  :D

I used the mopar harness and ECM from AEM but if I were redoing one I would call on hotwire for the harness and ECM from
http://www.hotwireauto.com/ a friend of mine did his 5.7 with there stuff and its pretty simple.

motorcitydak

I agree with you that the car motor looks nice, the intake is cool and the accessories are hidden. The problem I was was they mite get in the way of other things in the car. The A/C compressor is way down on the side of the block which would hit the K member

As for the intake, yep its cool but I am going to run a 6 pack scoop and make it functional so I need to build an air box for the hood to seal to, I will just not have the room to do it if I used a car intake, it has to be a truck set up for me

The mpg was something I forgot to mention, its great especially for the power and reliability you get. Also do not forget about the on board diagnostics. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is plug in a scanner and the ECM will tell you why its pissed

Here is a shot of the 5.7 truck motor as I was putting it into my 96 dakota

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

flyinlow

I bought a 5.7 /545rfe and drivesahft with all the accesorys and wiring for $3000  out of a 2004 ram. I was going to put in a 73 Charger. At the time it was going to be close to $4000 for parts to make it work. It would have been nice if it ran as well as the one in my Ram. Ended up going with a 440/ A518.
Can't beat a 440 for horsepower and TORQUE for the buck.

motorcitydak

To give everyone a little insight, I kept track of every dime I spent to put that 5.7 and trans into my truck. I paid 1200 for the motor from a junk yard, 250 for the trans. I ended up at $3217 for everything I used to make it run in there. A few more numbers you may like are 400hp and 450ft lb easy and around 20mpg. Also keep in mind you get a finely tuned and easily upgradable multi port fuel injection. I just really do not see how you can go wrong with these motors
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

flyinlow

My numbers were from 3 years ago. It is getting cheaper and easier now. A modern fuel injected /roller cam engine is nice . And if you blow it up the junk yards have more of them. Once you have it installed and running if the the engine goes, the cost to replace just it is not bad. Half of the magic of the new hemis are the transmissions behind them. With just a sb 727 behind them I don't think they would be as attractive.

mhe71

well i guess the only way it would interest me is if i can fins the current six speed manual t go with it. i think those motors look sexy in old mopars.

motorcitydak

Check into what this guy has going on, he is putting a car 5.7 in with a 833, not sure of his plans for ECM, flywheel, clutch or throw out but he could come in handy here
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

flyinlow

One comparison I did.

Stock 440/727/3.55

480 lbs tq  X 2.45 first gear X 3.55 axle, minus 20% powertrain loss............3339 ft lbs torque on the axle to launch.

Stock 2004  5.7 /545rfe/4.10

375 lbs tq X 3.0 first gear x 4.10 axle , minus 20% powertrain loss.............3690 ft lbs torque on the axle to launch.

The 440 would be reving much higher at freeways speeds. You could go with a 4.56 in the 545rfe equiped car and still be turning less rpms.