News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started my new Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Replica

Started by 404NOTFOUND, May 21, 2012, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Hard to believe that a Hyundai(?) could do that much damage to your car.
All the best with the outcome.
Gotta love a '69

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: doctor4766 on May 25, 2012, 04:23:33 AM
Hard to believe that a Hyundai(?) could do that much damage to your car.
All the best with the outcome.

I know what you mean. I'm certain the Hyundai is totalled. Bent wheel, rad bashed into the engine, air bag deployed.  The insurance appraisal dude is coming by tommorrow. Is repair or write off his decision, anyone know? Do I have to wait for someone else to decide? This is the part that's hard is wondering what the outcome will be. I'm sure it will get fixed. Everything from the windshield back is still flawless.

My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

TheGhost

You're taking this a helluva lot better than I would be.  Hopefully the insurance pulls through.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

nvrbdn

when we restored a firebird for my son someone turned infront of him the second time out of the garage. the guys insurance company tried to lowball me and i complained about the new motor and new paint and such that went into this build. then my insurance company told me they would get their lawyer to look at it if i wasnt happy. well when i tiold the other ins. co. that they said "no, you have to get the lawyer, not your ins. co." i told them that state farm said they will supply the lawyer for me and that was the deal. so the guy calls back with a good offer and cuts me a check. :2thumbs: i think you said you have to settle there with your own ins. good luck, i hope they are fair.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

GOTWING

if you do fix her, make sure they check all other body specs, my buddy had a hard hit like that in his 70 Challenger R/T, it actually crinkled the roof a little and his floor boards were messed up, it was totalled. i wish you all the luck yours may not be anywhere that bad. i can't imagine what it would be like for this to happen. At least you are ok, both my buddies knee caps were shaved off.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: TheGhost on May 25, 2012, 10:29:03 AM
You're taking this a helluva lot better than I would be.  Hopefully the insurance pulls through.

I'm taking it well based on the fact it was an accident and the assumption that my car will be properly repaired at no cost to me. If things don't go perfectly with the insurance, it will be a whole new attitude. I won't accept any BS from them whatsoever.

Johnnys440Charger

You have my support to. 
I have to drive my Charger on the 407etr tomorrow and now I am scared.  Meaning that this will be on my mind and I will take extra precaution on my drive. 
I am with LANT (broker) / Aviva Elite.    I'm in Vaughan / North Toronto - just near by. 
Mopar Spring Fling in Mississauga is on Sunday too...  That's where I usually see you... That's to bad.   I hope this works out painlessly for you.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Cooter on May 22, 2012, 11:29:45 AM
The really sad part? That SUV will be back in the road in a couple months. like it never happened.

Not if the airbags deployed.  The guy State Farm sent to our house to look at my wife's truck said if SF wanted to try & fix it that I should ask them if they're gonna sign off a waiver saying the new air bags will deploy if in another accident.  But when he was through with his estimate, it come up with over $20k in repairs.

That intersection looks like a good place for one of these:

After that last pic of your ride, there's no way the frame rails aren't at least somewhat tweaked.  Both of the frame rails' in my wife's truck were bent @ a 90 degree angle in her truck & the damage doesn't look as severe.

Even though our cars' are replaceable iron/art, you or her aren't.  Glad you & her are OK. 

It's kind of a pain in the rear but I wear my shoulder harness as well most of the time.  It wouldn't be so uncomfortable if the belt didn't dig into my neck.

Marck

Oh no... Just finished reading this thread, and my hats off to you 404.. You seem to be taking this very nice, way nicer than I think I could.. I hope you get a fair treatmemt from the insurance company... Best of luck..

404NOTFOUND

Latest update. The appraiser looked at the car today. He was surprised to see me standing there when he saw the extent of the damage. I'm getting total cooperation. I will still be another week before I get a final answer because the appraiser knows that Charger parts are expensive and obviously the restoration costs have to be less than the write off price. If all goes well, the car will be going to a dedicated Mopar only restoration shop, more on that later. As for me, what slight injuries I have are fading fast and I will be 100% again soon. As for my car, it will be a lost season this year. The appraiser thinks it will be 10 months to a year to restore it. Being that my car won't be costing me a dime to operate, it will allow me to save up for any changes I want to make as now is the time while the car is apart. If I can make the car even better and my way, it will be worth the wait. Thanks again everyone.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 26, 2012, 05:36:48 PM
Latest update. The appraiser looked at the car today. He was surprised to see me standing there when he saw the extent of the damage. I'm getting total cooperation. I will still be another week before I get a final answer because the appraiser knows that Charger parts are expensive and obviously the restoration costs have to be less than the write off price. If all goes well, the car will be going to a dedicated Mopar only restoration shop, more on that later. As for me, what slight injuries I have are fading fast and I will be 100% again soon. As for my car, it will be a lost season this year. The appraiser thinks it will be 10 months to a year to restore it. Being that my car won't be costing me a dime to operate, it will allow me to save up for any changes I want to make as now is the time while the car is apart. If I can make the car even better and my way, it will be worth the wait. Thanks again everyone.

Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow at the Mopar Spring Fling and we can catch up.

charger_fan_4ever

10 months doing the repair and color change ie painting underneath and all ?

My 70 had been pretty much re-skinned,trunk floor,extensions, tail panel,rear valance, both full 1/4's, rear window frame rebuilt,rocker and some other patchwork in less than 3 months.

Like suggested above complete front clip from a donor car with complete rails would be the way to go. Much faster and probably a better fit than trying to piece together new AMD framerails,inners,rad support. I think the longest part would be finding parts that re not reproduced.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 26, 2012, 07:48:06 PM

My 70 had been pretty much re-skinned,trunk floor,extensions, tail panel,rear valance, both full 1/4's, rear window frame rebuilt,rocker and some other patchwork in less than 3 months.

Like suggested above complete front clip from a donor car with complete rails would be the way to go. Much faster and probably a better fit than trying to piece together new AMD framerails,inners,rad support. I think the longest part would be finding parts that re not reproduced.

I hope your right. That is what the appraiser said but, It depends on the shop and other factors. I'm looking forward to my first visit to the shop assuming they don't write the car off which I doubt they will.

bobs66440

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 26, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 26, 2012, 07:48:06 PM

I hope your right. That is what the appraiser said but, It depends on the shop and other factors. I'm looking forward to my first visit to the shop assuming they don't write the car off which I doubt they will.
Unfortunately, 10 months and longer isn't unusual for this type of situation. Not that it will actually take that long, but usually shops will do the quick and easy collision work first and put the time consuming projects on the back burner. You will be way ahead if you find a shop that specializes in older cars and is actually enthusiastic about this type of work. Otherwise you may be in for a long frustrating road ahead. I have seen this so many times before. The shop promises the world, then the car sits in the dusty corner untouched for months while the shop owner BSs the customer and strings them along.  Most production type shops take on this type of work to fill in between other jobs. And whatever you do, DON'T tell them to take their time or say you aren't in a hurry. Try to get it in writing how long it will take. Give them a definite deadline and make sure they agree to it.

WhiteOnGreen

Ouch!!! Sorry aboutcar but it`s repairable. You have a good guardian angel

aussiemuscle

The appraiser thinks it will be 10 months to a year to restore it.
don't insurance jobs typically get priority at smash repairers?

just adding my 1c best wishes and glad you are ok.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: WhiteOnGreen on May 27, 2012, 09:11:43 AM
Ouch!!! Sorry aboutcar but it`s repairable. You have a good guardian angel

I sure do have a guardian angel. I've always noticed that. I just don't know why I deserve one. I've been doing some parts availability  research. Very encouraging to say the least. Even if they wrote it off I figure I could do most of the repairs myself and pocket thousands. One way or another, the car will live again.

DC_1

Where did it happen btw?......almost looks like Highway 6 between Guelph and Brantford

Aero426

I am involved in the unibody repair business.   You do have extensive unibody (frame) damage.  As in the rails have been shortened up by about a foot.  You need a complete front clip with suspension from a donor all the way back to the firewall.   You do not yet know the level of secondary damage that has traveled through the car.  You do not yet know the level of damage the drive line may have sustained.  

I hope I am wrong, but I think it will be a tall order for the estimate to come in below the threshold of a total.   Sure it can be fixed, but it just depends on the price.  What is working against you is the price of the parts, and the specialized labor chewing up your available dollars for the repair.  

You must take into account the unibody straightening time before all the old parts are removed.  Then you have the welding and install of the donor structural parts.   Then you have paint and refinish time and material costs.  Will you be satisfied with a blend into the doors, or will the whole car be resprayed?     No matter the sentiment of it being rust free, if they want to total it, it is probably in your best interest to take the money, walk away and buy another Charger.      

Let's say they total the car and you decide to buy it back at an agreed price.   Then you get into a salvage title.   Are you willing to accept the diminished value of the repaired car that goes along with a salvage title?     If the agreed price is fair, it could make sense to buy it back so you can transfer parts onto the next car.  

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 27, 2012, 08:43:18 PM
Where did it happen btw?......almost looks like Highway 6 between Guelph and Brantford

Yup. That's where it happened.

Good news. The car has been examined. This was not the big crash that it appears to be. There was no big impact driving the entire frame rearward. There is no ripple through the body. No damage to the firewall.  Not even a crack in the factory windshield. No damage to the drivers side at all. It was a concentrated impact similar to hitting a pole moderate speed.  It was the corner of the SUV that punched the car next to the one frame rail with lots of angles involved which caused that rail to fold in typical unibody fashion. With the strongest part out of the way, the sheet metal and that decorative chrome strip that Chrysler laughingly refers to as a "bumper" were easily crushed making things look worse than they were.

Now it all makes sense. I am completely uninjured as is the lady (I checked on her yesterday). Not even slight whiplash. I remember the crash clearly. I never felt very scared. No feeling that I would die or even get badly hurt. My only feeling before and during impact was disappointment as my prediction was about to come true and I knew it would not buff out. Although I wasn't going very fast, I noticed that my useless tires were not scrubbing off much speed and collision was unavoidable. Even the impact didn't seem that bad. I got out of the car and was not shaken up in the slightest. I calmly walked to the trunk of my car and got the lady a lawn chair to sit on until the calvary arrived. Had the impact been severe, there is no way I could have walked away in that old lapbelt equipped car.

The repair should be relatively simple and not too expensive I think. Complete southern clips are available here in Canada for less than a grand. I've often heard that nobody makes hoods for these cars. As some of you know, AMD makes hoods and everything else. Nothing costs more than a grand. I bet I could fix the car myself if I had to. I'm starting to feel a bit happier now.

surmanajaja

Quote from: GordonGriggs on May 28, 2012, 01:28:15 AM

Would this work in your situation? 

Schwartz Full Frame Chassis for 1968-1970 Mopar B-Body, Charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwartz-Full-Frame-Chassis-1968-1970-Mopar-B-Body-Charger-Roadrunner-Etc-/160805580498?hash=item2570c26ed2&item=160805580498&pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr

I wouldnt recommend that for anyone, if you have to have a full-race-chassis under your car, get a good one and not that piece of joke.

RIDELIKEHELL

Sounds somewhat promising 404...good luck :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

404NOTFOUND

Thanks Ridelikehell. As for my laidback attitude towards it all, if I was age 18 or so, I would probably have been screaming at her till the cops pulled me off and if it was a man, I might have punched him. I'm pushing 50 though and I'm grateful every day I wake up sucking air instead of pushing daisys. Take a stroll through the cemetary and have a look how close the dates are on so many headstones. Yup, lot's of folks never got a chance to save up for a Charger. Sure it bothers me that my car is damaged but one reason it's damaged is because I'm lucky enough to own one. It bothers me more that nobody has damaged my Bugatti Veyron. Why? Because I don't own a Bugatti Veyron and probably never will. As for the lady, if any of you still think I should strangle her, I don't have a problem with that either.

charger_fan_4ever

Nigel at nationalmoparts usually has a couple front clips from souther cars. He had one at barrie flea market or moparfest can't recall which last year. I think it was $850.

Defiantely the way to go.