News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recessing 73 front bumper

Started by AirborneSilva, June 02, 2012, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

I'll try to explain as best I can the steps I took and post pics, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

First, and obvious, I took the bumper off too include the valance.  I then removed the bumper brackets from the bumper but not until I clamped the brackets together and marked where the brackets go on the bumper.  With a step drill bit and a bench top drill press I lined up and drilled a hole at the bend in the bracket, I then measured the distance from factory hole and the one I just drilled so I can match that on the back hole.  After both were drilled I used an angle grinder to join the factory and holes I drilled.

RalleyMike gave me/us a heads up in another thread (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82517.75.html), saying the frame rail on the outer edge had to be notched so the bracket co go back far enough.  I took a little different angle (pun intended), on how I accomplished this from how Mike did but the result is the same.  I first drilled out the spot welds on the front of the frame rail, where the flap (as I call it), comes from the outer edge of the rail to around the front of it, pictured below.

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on the outer edge as far up as I could then finished it off with a saws all. 

After I had the front flap removed I used my angle grinder and a flap wheel (60 grit), and ground down the outer edge even with the nutcert, which took about 1/4" to 3/8" off.  using the angle grinder I cut a slit in the upper and lower tabs abut half way across from the outside to inside so I can bend it back a little to make my angle on the upper and lower parts of the rail to match as best I could the outside edge.  After cleaning up everything with a wire brush and flap wheel I sprayed everything with weld through primer and reattached the front flap to ensure the strength and integrity of the frame rail.

After welding the flaps back on I bolted the bumper up, aligned it to where I wanted it, which was back as far as it would go but I think with my holes drilled and the frame rail cut it worked out perfect.  Here's a pic of my bad welding, don't laugh it's been a year or so since I've done any welding  :smilielol:

The two brackets that go on the top of the bumper and attach to the inner fender and above the headlight buckets, I had debated if I wanted to mess with those or not but after seeing that the bumper although was tight the top could be moved a little by hand so I decided to cut and refit them.  I used a horizontal band saw but a cut off wheel or saws all with the parts in a vice would work just as well.  How I did it was I made my first cut, bolted the section to the bumper then placed the upper section where it mounts on the inner fender then was able to make my mark on the upper piece so i knew where to cut it.  After reattaching the upper braces it was as stable as stock  :2thumbs:

Here's some before and after pics:

BEFORE

AFTER

Time well spent  :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

it looks great!!! Really!!!, but:

I can't believe you needed that kind of work to make it look flush!! I thought enlarging holes was fairly enough... although true you went further back that I could expect!

then, my next opinion... aren't you afraid now with any small bump will damage the body beside just the Bumper?! that's the reason to get a Gap there.

not a critic, jut my 2 cents.

How much difference can be to get just holes enlarged and getting it closer to the body as posible, beside all this job to make it look deeper into the body ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 03, 2012, 08:33:10 AM
it looks great!!! Really!!!, but:

I can't believe you needed that kind of work to make it look flush!! I thought enlarging holes was fairly enough... although true you went further back that I could expect!

then, my next opinion... aren't you afraid now with any small bump will damage the body beside just the Bumper?! that's the reason to get a Gap there.

not a critic, jut my 2 cents.

How much difference can be to get just holes enlarged and getting it closer to the body as posible, beside all this job to make it look deeper into the body ?

If I had not dealt with the frame rails I would be out about another 1/4" so for me the hour, or so, time it took to do the work was well worth it.  As for the bumper being in so far that if I got into a small front end accident thus causing damage to finders because the bumper was in too far, well that thought did cross my mind for about 1/2 second then I decided I can't control the future but only what is happening now and I think it looks much better!

Didn't think you were being a critic, just giving me feedback which is why I posted in the first place  :cheers:

Dodgecharger74

why did you have to cut end of frame?  I am guessing that was to clear the rounded section of the bumper bracket
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dodgecharger74 on June 03, 2012, 11:58:00 AM
why did you have to cut end of frame?  I am guessing that was to clear the rounded section of the bumper bracket

Yes, and to allow it to go as far back as i wanted.

jhemsted

Looks great.  I own a 73 also and did the same exact thing to both my front and rear bumper, it took some work but in the end it looks a lot cleaner in my opinion.

AirborneSilva

Thanks, it looks like it should have from the factory  :yesnod:

Memphis Mopar