News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my Charger R/T Final UPDATE.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 11, 2012, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on June 12, 2012, 10:11:56 AM
Man, for some reason I always thought you were about half that.
Yeah. They give me a hard time when I ask for .......  Senior citizen discount  :hah:  at Dunkin Donuts. Ha. I've been a huge player in the Muscle car world since I was 16. I've had 100's of great muscle cars. But Robbie's starting to wear down and I miss a drop top. My convertibles were always stored with the top down.  Top only went up if I was caught in the rain. I won't have to worry about seeing a 69 and missing it because I'm the only one driving around in one up here.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

Honestly, I think reliability in older cars are better than with all the electronics in todays cars.  One of the reasons why I love my charger is because it is so simple to work on. Yes, newer cars handle better and have better fuel economy, but that is not the reason why I bought my charger.  It was because of the body styling and then came over the years, the ease of working on it.  On these newer cars, how many cars are still able to have their trans fluid changed without bringing it to a dealership?  My wifes 08 explorer I can change out the fluid but have to pump the trans fluid up into the trans, no trans dipstick either.  My dads 09 F150 platinum 4x4 there is a trans pan, yet there is no fill plug that I can see, or even any kind of trans fluid dipstick.  Vehicles today are NOT meant to be worked on by the average mechanic but meant to be brought into the dealership which is where they make most of their money.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

In some ways more reliable but in other ways I don't know.  Stuff now is SOOOOOOO much more complex that it's difficult to compare really.  The simpler systems seem to be better in some ways and not others too me.  Engine longevity or battery maintainance for example seem to be much better now.  On the other hand, things like the cheapie plastic handle in the other thread ongoing should not happen.  As for the computer systems, its a tough environment for them and all of the input sensors they require.  I dunno. :shruggy:

bill440rt

There's quite a difference between reliability & serviceability. 2 separate things.  :yesnod:
Sure, old cars are easy to service, but I'd tend to lean that newer cars are more reliable. Not that I trust this, but many claim to not even need a tune-up until 100,000 miles. Of course, you'll have to go to the dealer for that...  :smilielol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

There are pros and cons on both sides. An older car is gonna need more care than a newer car. It's like asking someone, vinyl top on my Charger or not?  To each his own. I'm just up for change. Typical male thing.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say.  Service versus reliance.

69 OUR/TEA

As much as I hate to say it,yes,it looks like you got your fill with the Charger,you now can say been there done that,69 Charger.It depends how much your passion is for them,room/storage,finacial situation ,etc on the outcome of keeping it and buying another car(toy) to enjoy.
My desire for the 69 Charger has been a long one,not from DOH but it helped and not saying I did'nt watch it because I did,but movies like Bullit,DMCL,Cannonball,etc.Knew that I had to have one.A black one none the less.
I personally can't ever see myself letting go of the one I found and have now,it was hard enough letting go of the B5 69 that I just restored.It is hard for most to understand where you are at in life if they are not your age and/or have college bills soon looming over their head.But mostly,I think I am like you in a way,I to sorta get not bored with a car,but have the desire to try a dif make/model/stlye to experience the variety out there with cars(toys) to have fun with.Some have come and gone thru my garage,others have a permenent fixture now that are not considered to sell.
I can see people taking the inspiration to drive their Chargers to big events to places like Carlisle,or for all day drives for enjoyment,and most will argue that they set up their Charger to drive,meaning suspension,overdrive trans,modern steroes,etc,but I feel it is still not the same as taking a modern newer car(toy)out for drives.By that I am saying your 80's Camaros/Trans am's,Monte SS,GN/T-types,Mustangs,then into the 90's-2000's and on.
I am more into classic musclecars restored stock,not restomods.Myself,take them for short drives around town,cruise nights and car shows,but not for long all day family drives.
My car of choice for doing such is my 87 Buick GN that I've had now for 21 years,and is right up there with the Charger,not ever a consideration of being sold.They are in a leage of their own as far as a following from car hobbiest,they handle decent(not as good as Camaros or T/A's),great on fuel mpg,creature comforts A/C,power seat,and lastly make awesome power.After 21 years it still excites me when I drive it and step on it to feel the power and sound it makes.So,with that I can see your point in the car you are searching into now.
BTW,you remember I was bit by the bug for  a Trans Am ,but  mine has a V6 !!!  :D

cdr

i wasen't slamming the pontiac ta anymore than i would slam any other gm car,i really like the look of that gen TA,one of my best friend that i drag race with has a 65 goat,a beautiful 10.90 et 78 black TA,W/AC street car,81 TA 400,2004 goat runs 13.34 bone stock,i have made my living working on cars for many years,the newer junk is not more dependable .example a gm fuel pump,delco or delphi is the only way to go, cost 482.00 just for the part,ok now drop that fuel tank,the differential is in the way lol,or pay to have it done about 350.00 labor and yes the pump will go out,add it up,thats over 800.00 just for a fuel pump that your NOT going to change on the side of the road,so now we have to call a wrecker,80.00 more,69 charger 440 fuel pump,25.99,10 min to install
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

F8-4life

What about those times in life when everything is going bad and you feel like you can't catch a break?
"_______ is just not going my way but atleast I own a '69 charger!!! It's a good feeling.... but just imagine if during your time of need you look out in the garage and see a plastic firebird!? Oh no! It hurts hahaha

charger_fan_4ever

Just sayin,

How about if someone approached you with a srt8 challenger and 10k or so cash ? Or a challenger r/t and even more cash ? or does it have to be a drop top ?

If i had to sacrifice a 2nd generation for a newer muscle car it would be an srt8 challenger. Sweet cars for sure, just a different kind of sweet.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: cdr on June 12, 2012, 11:28:31 AM
i wasen't slamming the pontiac ta anymore than i would slam any other gm car,i really like the look of that gen TA,one of my best friend that i drag race with has a 65 goat,a beautiful 10.90 et 78 black TA,W/AC street car,81 TA 400,2004 goat runs 13.34 bone stock,i have made my living working on cars for many years,the newer junk is not more dependable .example a gm fuel pump,delco or delphi is the only way to go, cost 482.00 just for the part,ok now drop that fuel tank,the differential is in the way lol,or pay to have it done about 350.00 labor and yes the pump will go out,add it up,thats over 800.00 just for a fuel pump that your NOT going to change on the side of the road,so now we have to call a wrecker,80.00 more,69 charger 440 fuel pump,25.99,10 min to install
Ok now go to my restoration thread and read how I had to restore pretty much the whole car. The fuel pump issue would be a blessing from what I've been through.  And I paid 30k at start

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 12, 2012, 11:34:31 AM
Just sayin,

How about if someone approached you with a srt8 challenger and 10k or so cash ? Or a challenger r/t and even more cash ? or does it have to be a drop top ?

If i had to sacrifice a 2nd generation for a newer muscle car it would be an srt8 challenger. Sweet cars for sure, just a different kind of sweet.
Drop top 100% and I have a super deep love for hidden headlamps.

Cooter

If you are growing tired of working on older Cars, then you will REALLY grow tired of working on newer cars like that TA.

Sorry, but those cars were "Throw away" cars IMO. Buy 'em, run the ever loving sh*t outta them, sell for profit to some unsuspecting person, and move on....

You are now that unsuspecting person. Remember, low mileage cars aren't always the way to go. Think about it. That's ALOT of sitting if it has low miles on say, a 2001 model car.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: F8-4life on June 12, 2012, 11:33:59 AM
What about those times in life when everything is going bad and you feel like you can't catch a break?
"_______ is just not going my way but atleast I own a '69 charger!!! It's a good feeling.... but just imagine if during your time of need you look out in the garage and see a plastic firebird!? Oh no! It hurts hahaha
But I want to see a plastic TA in my garage with the top down.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Cooter on June 12, 2012, 11:40:02 AM
If you are growing tired of working on older Cars, then you will REALLY grow tired of working on newer cars like that TA.

Sorry, but those cars were "Throw away" cars IMO. Buy 'em, run the ever loving sh*t outta them, sell for profit to some unsuspecting person, and move on....

You are now that unsuspecting person. Remember, low mileage cars aren't always the way to go. Think about it. That's ALOT of sitting if it has low miles on say, a 2001 model car.
I don't agree  with that for all these low mile stored collectables.  But I do see that on the old muscle cars.

Ghoste

I think it is more than that.  If I thought it was simply frustration over a few problems with the Charger I'd also try and talk you out of it but I my take is that you have thoroughly enjoyed your Charger owner experience and wish to go to the next phase.  Furthermore, I think it could be something you sort of knew you would get to all along?

cdr

,i just looked on ebag,looks like they are selling for a nice one in the 18,000 to low 20s that car will not be a 20,000 dollar car in 5 years,i'm not trying to argue or convince you on what to do,one day you will regret getting rid of that awesome charger that you own :Twocents: no hard feelings  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on June 12, 2012, 11:46:39 AM
I think it is more than that.  If I thought it was simply frustration over a few problems with the Charger I'd also try and talk you out of it but I my take is that you have thoroughly enjoyed your Charger owner experience and wish to go to the next phase.  Furthermore, I think it could be something you sort of knew you would get to all along?
Feelings exactly except for the knew all along part. I didn't ever think I would sell the car? And I'm not convinced a TA is for me?  Haven't driven one yet. As for the Charger, all the hard work is 2 years behind me. It's been a thrill to drive these past years. Very reliable.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: cdr on June 12, 2012, 11:54:15 AM
,i just looked on ebag,looks like they are selling for a nice one in the 18,000 to low 20s that car will not be a 20,000 dollar car in 5 years,i'm not trying to argue or convince you on what to do,one day you will regret getting rid of that awesome charger that you own :Twocents: no hard feelings  :icon_smile_big:
Yeah but that's the case with most newer cars. They go down then up. Look at my case. I may lose 15,000.00 on a georgeous 2nd gen. May?  May not. May not sell. Whatever.

Ghoste

Did you feel the same way about the ones you had before?  That is, that you wouldn't sell them.

buckeyecharger

If only they made the new Hemi Challenger a vert. Then you would have an idea no one on here could argue. I'm not a fan of the TA you guys are discussing. To much plastic up front with to many rounded edges. Sometimes I look at them and they remind me of the rice burners.  :Twocents:
Jason

cdr

if you decide to sell,& your car is as nice as it looks from the pics,you will get what you have in it

SRT-440

I always wanted a black ram air TA (2002)...great cars...avoid getting a v6..had one (camaro) and it had problems and it was new.
If u want a TA...get it...wish I could buy your charger. Good Luck!  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Mike DC

What is a nice 1982 T/A worth now? 

What is a nice 1992 T/A worth now? 

Those cars are 20 and 30 years old.  If they were gonna become major collectibles then it would have happened by now IMHO.  So I wouldn't buy a 10-15 year old T/A thinking that it's gonna increase in value a whole lot either.  (Yes the dollar values will eventually go up just because of real-world inflation for all decent usable vehicles.  But that's not the same thing as increasing collectible value.)

-----------------------------------

My two cents - buy a T/A first and then see if you want to sell the Charger.  I know you can't keep both of them in the long run, but I would think surely you could float both of them for a half a year for the sake of making the right decision.  If money is really tight then you will go ahead and sell the correct one when the time comes.

Ghoste

As someone working in the collector car business, my opinion is that you shouldn't ever buy any of these cars based on projected future value.  EVER!  Buy it because you like it and own it because you enjoy it.  If it goes up great, if it doesn't then buying what you like will mean it is still great.

If you are buying to flip, thats a completely different side of the discussion.