News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to/where to source parts for 68' to 69' conversion

Started by STIG, September 11, 2012, 06:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Quote from: myk on September 12, 2012, 02:58:44 AM
Ok, can someone point me to the nearest exit?
Once your in, there ain't no gettin out. :naughty: :dancinglock:

STIG

Quote from: djcarguy on September 12, 2012, 02:56:34 AM
i think,,, junior member  ,,,with stolen name from tv show=====troll   68 ta 69,,,,,less than 10,000 miles,,,,hack for d.a .h car====dumb   ass  of hazzard?????????????????
  total kill resale and screw up a low mile car???      fly over,cause its cheaper than to pay for inspect????

low post count and is D.O.H.   NUT FAN,,,dumby'S out of hazzard,,that big of deal on other side of WORLD?????????? :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :popcrn: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :smilielol:

This is New Zealand, try find a scammer here mate. Plus you should work on that punctuation a bit  :coolgleamA:
1969 Dodge Charger 'General Lee', 440 Six-Pack, Genuine Big Block, R/T SE

From way down South in the land of Kiwis.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

kikgas01

Darkman

STIG, look up Shermatt America. Give Matt a call and discuss what you are after and what budget you have.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

STIG

Quote from: Darkman on September 12, 2012, 07:56:28 PM
STIG, look up Shermatt America. Give Matt a call and discuss what you are after and what budget you have.

Cheers, Darkman. I'll look into it now  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on September 11, 2012, 07:13:58 PM
So you're going to take a fairly nice, 10k mile 68 and hack it up to make a 69 GL? You may very well be saving money - until you need to sell it and your potential pool of buyers becomes tiny.

Troy

I Agree, Why destroy a nice 68...IMO, if you can't find a 69, try a 70 Charger.  Heck, I would trade my 70 Charger, for a 68.

elanmars

go to autotempest.com and do a search...I've been finding a few good '69s here and there that seem to be in pretty good shape, running and only needing minor stuff here and there.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Dino

Let me start here by saying that whatever car you buy, it'll be yours and only your opinion matters.  If you buy a 68 and convert it into a 69/GL then that is your business.  You may not find much support for it but that's not your problem.

For what it's worth, here is what I would do.  Forget about inspections, they cost money and they don't mean a damn thing anymore.  Honestly you can't fly over to check out every car you find, that's just nuts, so when you do find a nice 69 post a thread asking if any members are close by to check it out for you.  We do it all the time here.  That way you'll have someone who actually knows Chargers check it out and take lots of pictures.

As stated before, if the 68 is that nice then drive as is or flip it.  I'm not shy to do mods on mine but converting to a different year is a bit much for me.

Are you that set on building a GL?  A lot of us have been there.  I wanted a GL when I had my 68 many years ago but didn't do the conversion because it was a 68 and I'm glad I never did. 

As time went by the need for a GL faded and now I wouldn't dream of building one, and I have a non matching numbers run of the mill 69 which would be ideal for a GL.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2012, 10:39:57 AM

As time went by the need for a GL faded and now I wouldn't dream of building one, and I have a non matching numbers run of the mill 69 which would be ideal for a GL.
NO SUCH THING AS A RUN OF THE MILL 2ND GEN  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Quote from: cdr on September 13, 2012, 10:48:07 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2012, 10:39:57 AM

NO SUCH THING AS A RUN OF THE MILL 2ND GEN  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

kikgas01

I just beat a 06 or 07 Charger R/T at a car show with my 69! It felt good too! Lmao.

JB400

Quote from: kikgas01 on September 13, 2012, 03:13:56 PM
I just beat a 06 or 07 Charger R/T at a car show with my 69! It felt good too! Lmao.
Congratulations!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

kikgas01

Thanks!!!!!

Sorry for the hijack, but they really are out there for a good price. All I did to mine was clean it up and really didn`t do that great of a job doing that!

hatersaurusrex

i think,,, junior member  ,,,with stolen name from tv show=====troll   68 ta 69,,,,,less than 10,000 miles,,,,hack for d.a .h car====dumb   arse's  of hazzard?????????????????
????   totally kill resale and screw up a low mile car???      fly over,cause its cheaper than  pay for inspect????

low post count and is D.O.H.    FAN,,,dumby'S out of hazzard,,is it that big of deal on other side of WORLD?????????? : :Twocents: :Twocents: :popcrn: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :smilielol:

For the love of God, WTF was this???????
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

JB400

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on September 13, 2012, 09:18:28 PM
i think,,, junior member  ,,,with stolen name from tv show=====troll   68 ta 69,,,,,less than 10,000 miles,,,,hack for d.a .h car====dumb   arse's  of hazzard?????????????????
????   totally kill resale and screw up a low mile car???      fly over,cause its cheaper than  pay for inspect????

low post count and is D.O.H.    FAN,,,dumby'S out of hazzard,,is it that big of deal on other side of WORLD?????????? : :Twocents: :Twocents: :popcrn: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :smilielol:

For the love of God, WTF was this???????
Someone that had some issues.  Got to feel sorry for the guy, but he is right.  Why bother changing one year model to make it look like another year unless the car is a custom and you just happen to like this part from this year and that part from that year.

STIG

I decided to give the 68' a miss because of what everyone had been saying, it sort of defeats the purpose. I'll keep waiting for a 69' and then convert it to a GL replica. I'll put up a thread if I find something and if someone local to the car could help out, that would be awesome - sure would save a lot of money! I'll have a search through the suggested sites that have been posted and see what's out there  :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: STIG on September 14, 2012, 12:43:41 AM
I decided to give the 68' a miss because of what everyone had been saying, it sort of defeats the purpose. I'll keep waiting for a 69' and then convert it to a GL replica. I'll put up a thread if I find something and if someone local to the car could help out, that would be awesome - sure would save a lot of money! I'll have a search through the suggested sites that have been posted and see what's out there  :2thumbs:

:iagree: :2thumbs:

JB400

I decided to give the 68' a miss because of what everyone had been saying, it sort of defeats the purpose. I'll keep waiting for a 69' and then convert it to a GL replica. I'll put up a thread if I find something and if someone local to the car could help out, that would be awesome - sure would save a lot of money! I'll have a search through the suggested sites that have been posted and see what's out there  :2thumbs:
:2thumbs: :iagree: Don't give up on your dreams, you'll find one.

elanmars

Give us the link to that '68 you passed on!
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

ACUDANUT

Fred

JB400

It ain't practical, or cheap I'm sure, but we can bring them back just as easy as they can bring them down there. ;)