News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trident screws and sockets for 2nd gen. gas caps "deal". GOT THEM?

Started by b5blue, September 22, 2012, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

From my previous topic on the size of these screws there is interest enough to attempt a kind of group buy. As I can buy 100 of them for 31.50 plus shipping and sockets (1/4" drive.) run 7.50 ea. plus shipping I ran into the idea it would be much cheaper for me to order a box of screws and a bunch sockets at one time to save on shipping for everyone. Shipping was 6.95 for orders up to 49.99 and 10.95 up to 100.99 so I can order 9 sockets and 1 box of 100 screws for 109.95 shipped.
Enough guys have responded to fill that order so far offered at 12.00 for 6 screws and one socket but with shipping and PayPal fees I'm cutting it VERY close to/or loosing money. I'm not trying to profit, I just don't need 100 screws. Anyone ordering just a 7.50 socket would pay 6.95 shipping and some vendors have a 25.00 minimum order. I don't mind mailing out a bunch of these for you guys but then I started adding up costs and we never addressed adding insurance or the best way to send like USPS, Fed-Ex or UPS. I'm thinking it would be easy for me to just mail by USPS all at one time and insure every packet.
If you guys are OK with 15.00 instead of 12.00 I think I can pull this off by ordering from "Tanner Nut & Bolt Corp.", buying a pack of bubble lined pack mailers and sending all insured USPS.
The last issue is length, some say 3/4" and Bull commented they may be more like 7/8th", Tanner shows 3/4 and 1 inch so I'd need a vote?  :shruggy:
 If your "in" post here so I can add up interest for a total, if you just want screws or more than one socket or more than 6 screws let me know also as I have to go by the total responds over about 30 days before placing my order.  
 We will see how this adds up and I will ask that all "in" PayPal me prior to me ordering to cover myself but wait till I give ya word to do so. I plan on contacting Tanner prior ordering to be certain of no back order issues or any other problems.
b5blue

Lennard

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bull

I'll look at the screws I have in the cap now and see how long they are and how much of them is sticking out past the sheetmetal to try getting a more precise length. At any rate, I would like to have a set too. I was thinking of doing the same thing you are with this but got busy doing other things.

Brock Lee

Last I knew McMaster Carr had them for stupid cheap, like $10-15 per hundred.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

I checked McMaster Carr, they have "tri-wing" that is a 3 blade Phillips head, not Trident that matches OEM for us. Rats! I'm looking for the best value for HIGH quality, they are a good source for other stuff though.
  Thanks for checking length Bull!  :2thumbs:

69fourspd

I would be in for a set as well.  Thanks for trying to get this together.

-Matt

Brock Lee

Quote from: b5blue on September 23, 2012, 07:48:36 AM
  I checked McMaster Carr, they have "tri-wing" that is a 3 blade Phillips head, not Trident that matches OEM for us. Rats! I'm looking for the best value for HIGH quality, they are a good source for other stuff though.

No, they have them. Maybe just in the hard catalog. I bought some a while back and they were exact. They were not the "tri-wings".

rebby

Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Dino

I'm in for the complete set.  $15 is still on the way low end of usual Charger expenses.  That's what I waste in gas going to the store these days!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

twenty mike mike

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

richRTSE

HeavyFuel

I'd like a socket and 3 screws. (uhhh....that didn't come out right)

Thanks.

b5blue

I'm calling this week to confirm an order can be in stock for this week. I'll be asking for everyone to PayPal me within 7 days upon confirmation from Tanner that there will be no delays. Including myself I'm @ 12 sockets and there will be plenty of screws @ 100 per box (69 used so far.) 
  Look for "UPDATE" in the topic Mon. or Tues. for a status.  :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Sweet. I was wondering about these yesterday.  I'll take 12.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

green69rt

Standing by,  just need a paypal account to send the money.

Lennard

Quote from: green69rt on November 04, 2012, 03:44:26 PM
Standing by,  just need a paypal account to send the money.
Same here for 6 screws and a socket. :thumbs:

b5blue

I'll have you all PM me for info after confirmation from Tanner.  :2thumbs:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Mopar Nut

Quote from: b5blue on November 04, 2012, 08:04:21 PM
I'll have you all PM me for info after confirmation from Tanner.  :2thumbs:
Sounds good, thanks.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

b5blue

Small delay, as the place is in Brooklyn the effects of Sandy have reduced their (3) web-sight line's down to two. I got through to them and they were to call me back. I waited till 5:30 and had to go. (Land line home phone.)
  I want to verify all of this order before requesting any funds from you guys so bare with me!  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Mopar Nut

Quote from: b5blue on November 06, 2012, 06:39:39 PM
  Small delay, as the place is in Brooklyn the effects of Sandy have reduced their (3) web-sight line's down to two. I got through to them and they were to call me back. I waited till 5:30 and had to go. (Land line home phone.)
  I want to verify all of this order before requesting any funds from you guys so bare with me!  :scratchchin:
Don't rush, you're doing us a favor, thanks again.

Dino

Yeah no rush blue, the duct tape is holding my gas cap on just fine.   :icon_smile_big:

gkeanef

b5blue

I got a rep. on the phone today, they "should" have a new shipment of the sockets within this week. Stand by for updates!  :scratchchin:

b5blue

Well the sockets are in and I'm assured a box of screws is obtainable in 2 days. Everyone PM me here within the next week and I'll send you PayPal info.

Bull and I are agreed that size #10 @ 3/4 inch length is ideal so that's what I'll order along with the sockets. If you just want the screws let me know how many in your PM to me, I've yet to figure that out but we'll keep it as cheap as possible. 

b5blue

OK guys the ball is rolling so bare with me. 11 have responded and of them I have 6 who have cleared through PayPal as of this AM. (Thanks for promptness!) 4 who expressed interest I've not heard from yet so I sent them PMs to alert them.
  Some wanted more than the six screws I intended and some only need 3 screws so I'm working it out that if I confirmed more than 6 you'll get them. If you asked for only 3 screws I'll still try to send you 6 or split up what's left as we are getting close to depleting 100. (It will depend on if the the last 4 guys are still in.) 
  Please if your "in" PayPal me ASAP as the order will be based off received payments.

I did check McMaster/Carr's sight but they get over 10.00 per socket ea. so the lower amount for a box of screws did not offset the total enough to save any money.

Lennard

Dino

Hey Neal, when did you receive my payment?  I sent it 11/10 @ noon but only received my paypal confirmation email @ 1:25 am today.  That's a bit strange, can't recall it ever took so long.

b5blue

The PayPal system is running slow for some reason.  :shruggy: I saw a bunch on the account yesterday that I did not get email notification of till this AM. You are good!
  Of the 14 I have as "in" I show 12 payed as of today (11/12/12) and have not heard back from HEAVY FUEL or gkeanef yet. I had hoped to order today as I'm off work but will wait till after work tomorrow as the cut off. I'm running out of screws anyway now. It's all working out as some only requested 3 screws and one socket and that count leaves room for the 2 not heard back from, but just barely.  :2thumbs:   

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on November 12, 2012, 08:29:03 AM
  The PayPal system is running slow for some reason.  :shruggy: I saw a bunch on the account yesterday that I did not get email notification of till this AM. You are good!
  Of the 14 I have as "in" I show 12 payed as of today (11/12/12) and have not heard back from HEAVY FUEL or gkeanef yet. I had hoped to order today as I'm off work but will wait till after work tomorrow as the cut off. I'm running out of screws anyway now. It's all working out as some only requested 3 screws and one socket and that count leaves room for the 2 not heard back from, but just barely.  :2thumbs:   

I'm glad it's working out.  Thanks for doing this buddy, much appreciated.   :2thumbs:

b5blue

You are welcome! It beats us all paying 46.00 and having 97 screws with a one use socket leftover.  :lol:

gkeanef just chimed in and we are waiting for HEAVY FUEL, PLEASE IF YOU RESPONDED GO TO PAYPAL.

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on November 12, 2012, 08:38:23 AM
You are welcome! It beats us all paying 46.00 and having 97 screws with a one use socket leftover.  :lol:

gkeanef just chimed in and we are waiting for HEAVY FUEL, PLEASE IF YOU RESPONDED GO TO PAYPAL.

We'd be fighting for that one socket.   :lol:

Made heavy fuel had a heavy weekend?   :D

b5blue

OK The order is in, we have just enough screws to go around and everyone except HEAVY FUEL was accounted for through PayPal. I ordered 1 extra socket and reserved 3 screws for him just in case.  :2thumbs:
  A note of THANKS to members who only requested 3 screws, you let a few extra guys get in on this. By my count there is 1 screw extra! (That box better have 100!  :lol: ) I was assured that they can have the screws to ship to me within 2 days, that's the reason I didn't want to wait long.
b5blue

rebby

Curt Rebelein, Junior

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on November 12, 2012, 08:40:45 AM
Quote from: b5blue on November 12, 2012, 08:38:23 AM

We'd be fighting for that one socket.   :lol:

Made heavy fuel had a heavy weekend?   :D

Ha ha. 

We did have a major snow storm.....spent alot of time snowblowing (boy are my lips cold :icon_smile_big:) and shoveling.

I did get the car moved to the other side of the garage.  It's not under power....so that was interesting.    :P

b5blue

Sockets and screws are in. All orders are filled and packaged, I'm just waiting for 2 addresses (PM's sent.)to ship the lot out. THANKS again to the guys that only requested 3 screws as we really cut it close!
  I tested the fit on my 70 Charger and it's perfect! You really need the socket to install or remove as the lip on the base of the Fuel cap and the edge of the filler tube trap the head of the screw nicely. Now I can start saving for a new cap and trim ring without worry of some jerk stealing it off the car.  :lol: 
  I'll let you know when they ship out. b5

rebby

Curt Rebelein, Junior

cdr

Dino

b5blue

Your welcome! I had just enough money to post and insure all packages (3.80 ea.) so please confirm delivery of your order with a PM to me with your full name included.  :2thumbs:
If any do not show up within 10 days I need to know so I can start a claim.   :eek2:

green69rt

Really excellent!!!  Thanks for your effort on this.  So you came out whole on the cost??? 

Lennard

Thank you for your time and effort you put in to this task. :2thumbs:
I will let you know when the goods are in.

b5blue

Quote from: green69rt on November 17, 2012, 09:30:29 PM
Really excellent!!!  Thanks for your effort on this.  So you came out whole on the cost??? 
Here is the final break down:
17 sockets and 100 screws= 150.49 (Shipped)
3.80 shipping each X 16         60.80
16 X "000" bubble mailers,        8.80
Fat tape + fine tip marker        5.67
  Total net from PayPal=       250.25 This was higher than expected as some payed as "Gift" and some included extra $$ (THANKS!) to cover costs.
  Net extra from PayPal:         25.51
  If anyone is interested, I netted savings by switching from "Tanner Bolt & Nut Corp." to their sister web-sight www.HermansCentral.com, Hermans had flat rate shipping of 14.95 (Over 250.00 free.) with 100 screws and each socket listed at 19.09 and 6.85 respectively. Tanner has 31.50 and 7.65 respectively with shipping going up with cost of order. That saved 26.01 on the order with shipping at the same cost.  (It pays to search around.)
  With orders coming in for anywhere from 3 to 12 screws the limiting factor became the 100 screws. I initially projected about 25-30 extra but we got more responses than I foresaw and rapidly ran out of being able to send everyone who ordered the minimum 6 screws I intended.  Explaining to the vendor what we were doing while they were dealing with Sandy's aftermath in Brooklyn was interesting, 3 web-sights having to share just 2 phone lines left me waiting for their return calls several days and kinda nervous that our order be filled promptly and correctly but it worked out fine. With "Black Friday" and the shipping overload looming it was urgent to get these orders out ASAP to beat that and we cut it close. Not knowing how to handle shipping costs I just winged it at the Post Office and hoped for the best by explaining what we were doing to the guys there. The 3.80 got them posted First Class and each insured for 45.00 as "if" anyone does not receive their order I'll need to file and collect a claim then reorder a box of screws and a socket and eat the next 3.80 out of the 25.51 to reship when it gets to me. (Boy I hope everyone gets their order!  :eek2:)
  Thanks guys it was a bit of a task but I netted my screws and socket and may get about 1.00 an hour for my time, it was interesting beating the 45.00 for 3 screws and one socket I was dreading paying just to protect a new cap and trim ring I'm not even sure when I can afford.  :lol:

cdr

i got screwed today------------------------------------i mean i got my screws today lol,,BIG CALL OUT FOR THE ONE & ONLY B5BLUE
:o :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod: :yesnod: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2guns: :2guns: :wave: :wave: :woohoo: :shortbus: :shortbus: :drive: :drive: :patrol: :patrol: :patrol: :patrol:

THANK YOU SO MUCH
charlie

Mopar Nut

rebby

Curt Rebelein, Junior

Lennard

Dino

green69rt

Got em.  Now I can add them to my little treasure trove of small parts that will installed sometime in the future ( I hope!)

bull

b5blue

Wow seven today! Great news, that's much faster then I dared hope. I hope the other nine hit soon also.  :cheers: Thanks for reporting in promptly guys!  :yesnod:
b5

Mopar Nut

Quote from: b5blue on November 19, 2012, 08:56:03 PM
Wow seven today! Great news, that's much faster then I dared hope. I hope the other nine hit soon also.  :cheers: Thanks for reporting in promptly guys!  :yesnod:
b5
Thank you.

HeavyFuel

Make it eight!

The head of the screw is right on when compared to an original.   :2thumbs:

b5blue

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 20, 2012, 12:15:23 AM
Make it eight!

So the socket is a good match to the original factory screw head then?  :scratchchin: (Something Troy and I were not certain of.)

richRTSE

My came yesterday while I was at work, so I got them this morning. Thanks again Neal. 

:cheers:

Charger-Bodie

HeavyFuel

Quote from: b5blue on November 20, 2012, 06:48:34 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 20, 2012, 12:15:23 AM
Make it eight!

So the socket is a good match to the original factory screw head then?  :scratchchin: (Something Troy and I were not certain of.)

Should work fine. :yesnod:

The heads are identical, except for the finish.  I think the originals are a natural finish, and the new ones have a polished zinc-type bright shine. 

I only had two originals.....so I needed to get three new ones so they'd all match. 

b5blue

These were advertised as "case hardened" also. Other places I looked did not say that. (?)  :scratchchin:

will

b5blue

b5blue

Troy

Got mine yesterday! Odd because I mailed stuff to California last week (from Ohio) and it got there in 1 day.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

b5blue

b5blue

If you don't have your screws and socket yet PLEASE let me know in a PM with your full name included. Other members have checked with me after missing out so there could be a "round two". Only 3 have not chimed in yet so if I don't hear back by 12/8/12 I must assume you got them and were too busy or forgot to reply.
  That date allows for the 21 days from the 11/17/12 mailing needed to file the insurance claim, something I really did not want to get into but will do if needed.  :scratchchin: