News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission shop wrecked my Charger

Started by THE STIG, October 05, 2012, 06:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE STIG

I took my car to a shop for some tranny work it was laeking fluid and rolled in park. Some dumb kid thay had working there parked it on a hill and walked away and rolled into a building on thier lot and the back end hit a corner. It looks like the deck lid bumper and and valance will need replaced the valance was already rusted and shot to hell but the deck was good. It also looks like the passenger side quarter is bowed out slightly too. I already have a bumper,rocker panels and quarter skins but wasn't looking for a rear deck. If anybody has any insight or leads on some of these parts I would greatly appreciate it or PM me here. *Forgot to mention it's a 70 Charger*

Ryan

Well I hope they are paying for it.

For what it's worth the AMD decklid I ordered fit very very well. It's one their better parts.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

THE STIG

Quote from: Ryan on October 05, 2012, 06:32:56 PM

For what it's worth the AMD decklid I ordered fit very very well. It's one their better parts.

So far he seems like he intends to make this right and for one reason or another the kid isn't there anymore. And he mentioned how upset he is at the whole situation since it's a transmission shop and it's not the first time thay've had a car with problems engaging in park. What about the AMD rear valance, habe you used one of those?

bull

Fred

Unbloodybelievable!   :brickwall: :brickwall:  What a heartache.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ryan

Quote from: THE STIG on October 05, 2012, 07:09:18 PM

So far he seems like he intends to make this right and for one reason or another the kid isn't there anymore. And he mentioned how upset he is at the whole situation since it's a transmission shop and it's not the first time thay've had a car with problems engaging in park. What about the AMD rear valance, habe you used one of those?

The original amd valance sucks. They recently retooled it though and it's much better. Just make sure you are getting the new version.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

charger Downunder

Wow that would piss me off. Dont they know what a handbrake is.
[/quote]

THE STIG

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 05, 2012, 10:56:49 PM
Wow that would piss me off. Dont they know what a handbrake is.

Well actually the E brake is rusted too but I told them that when I gave it to them and that it would sometimes roll in park ehich is why I had it there in the first place.

THE STIG

Quote from: Ryan on October 05, 2012, 10:47:32 PM
Quote from: THE STIG on October 05, 2012, 07:09:18 PM

The original amd valance sucks. They recently retooled it though and it's much better. Just make sure you are getting the new version.

Thank you I will definetly keep that in mind.

70 Charger RT

I have a trunk lid available.  It is in pretty straight condition however there is some rust along the seem at the rear edge.  I'm open to offers.  Plus shipping from Alberta.

Randall
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

69rtse4spd

That sucks, make sure they understand that you will pick the shop to do the work, with in reason. Hope all goes well.

Ghoste

Are they still going to fix your tranny?

tan top

awww man thats a bummer !! :brickwall:

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2012, 08:57:51 PM
Are they still going to fix your tranny?

if it were me , would not let them anywhere near
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

THE STIG

*UPDATE* The tranny shop called me today and told me it would cost $800 to fix the car and I owe them $300 for the tranny work. He also said they can get a deck lid which I assune would be the AMD since he called me a few days ago and asked me where to get one. I'm not really sure if the $800 they are talking about includes the deck lid and I don't see how it can since the AMD lid is about $600 and it also needs a new bumper and rear valance. So he offered to let me come in and get the car and take $500 I declined and told him that I want the car fixed. The valance was already rusted pretty bad and would have needed replaced anyhow and I already have a bumper as the one thats on it was dented before (more so now though). I haven't told them this yet but I am willing to go 50/50 on the valance since it was already shot and cover the cost of a rechrome on the extra bumper I already have. Does this $800 figure sound accurate? I have more pics I'll try and post to give you guys a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Ghoste

It sounds light to me, is there paint work involved?  Does he not have insurance?  I also like the fact that you still owe him money for the trans work, I have to say I get a bad feeling about where this could go.  Fingers crossed.

bill440rt

I agree. The shop should be well insured to cover mishaps like this.
I would ask who his insurer is. If not, report it to your insurance company & they will likely subro it against his. It is no fault of yours so it should not affect your premiums.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

I under the asumption that you're going to have a hard time with this.  You admit that your car has some rust issues on the valance and probably behind it.  Find out if the figure he gave you is his or his insurance.  His insurance company is going to use the rust issues as an excuse to keep from coughing up the money they should.  You need to get an estimate of what it actually costs to get your bumper rechromed and to get the valance put on, then have a beer summit and discuss the money issue.  You might consider having him pay at least 50% of the cost.  Yes, it was damaged on his lot, and yes, it was damaged under his care.  But, you brought him a rusty vehicle.  It takes a lot less effort to damage a rusty car than it does a solid car.  My neighbor was parking his 69 Mach 1 under a tree and accidentally hit the tree. Yes, dumb move.  But his car is a rust bucket and it did considerable damage to it. He was only going at a crawl.

Consider what I said, and for the most part, be reasonable.  He probably will go 50/50.

Ghoste

50/50?  If it were your rusty vehicle they wrecked would you be okay with it?

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 12, 2012, 10:28:16 AM
50/50?  If it were your rusty vehicle they wrecked would you be okay with it?
You obviously ain't looking at 3 dimensionally.  No I would not be ok with it.  But, he left a car that was not 100% structurally sound in the care of another person.  I will admit that they should have chocked the wheels so that it didn't roll back.  What are you expecting, take a rusty ride to someone that wrecks it, and expect them to give you a 100% restoration at their expense?  That won't happen here or there or anywhere.  Personally, I think he should have at least have fixed the parking brake first before leaving it at the tranny shop.  I said at least 50/50 because it's reasonable.  And I think that he should be rationable about it.  And, in my opinion, he is. He already has a bumper, working on getting a valance and a deck lid.  If he gets a quote of what it takes to put these parts on and refurbished, the shop owner should as least pay 50% of the cost.  Now, if he had the body redone BEFORE he took it to the shop, than 100%.  Agree or disagree

Ghoste

You and I have different ideas of what reasonable is.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 12, 2012, 12:21:09 PM
You and I have different ideas of what reasonable is.
How about an explanation.  What would you consider a reasonable offer?

Mopar Nut

Maybe 50/50 on parts, but labor should be covered 100%. And repaired at a body shop, not the tranny shop.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

nvrbdn

he doesnt want to turn it in to insurance and raise his rates. if he has had problems in the past, more issues could cause his rates to sky rocket.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 12, 2012, 05:44:13 PM
Maybe 50/50 on parts, but labor should be covered 100%. And repaired at a body shop, not the tranny shop.

That I could live with.