News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on taking my car in to get the tail painted black

Started by 68charger383, March 08, 2008, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Thats what I was going to say, Did it have a textured look to it? The organosol has a very rough pebbly look to it. LEON.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on March 25, 2008, 01:34:41 PM
I thought I'd jump in here, since i think i can share my story, it may or not help.  You may recognize me from the "paintjob on a budget" thread, yes this is on my old charger painted with a roller.

I used tremclad flat black in a spray can to paint the tail panel on my old charger, since then it has been stored OUTSIDE thru the Canadian winters near Toronto Canada (by the person i sold it too), and it's been 3 years since this was painted and still looks PERFECT.  I noticed that depending on how "heavy" i layed on the coats, I'd get more/less gloss after it dried, this is just a can of el-cheapo flat rust paint, and there was virtually no prep, and no primer was used.  It dried in 10 mins to where you could touch it, and after about an hour i wetsanded it, if you very lightly wetsand flat paint with 1500grit + you can almost get any level of gloss you want from this paint (the more you wetsand, the more gloss you get).  I can't say how many times at cruise nights or shows people have approached me and specifically asked about what paint i used for the tail panel; actually it was annoying as hell, but understandable since i couldn't even believe: 1: how good it looked, and 2: how well it has lasted. 
basically remove the bumper, chrome trim, lights, mask it all off, paint (after prep with about 600-800, just basically scuffing it).  This paint sticks to anything, and virtually the only way to get it off is to sand it off, i wouldn't use primer.   Total cost, $5 for a can of paint.  :2thumbs: and a few hours of your time....

Now for some close up pics, and yes it looks better in person, the pics really don't do it any justice, plus as i mentioned you could get any level of gloss from this paint, on my car, just a very light wetsand and it was I'd say in between flat and semi-gloss:

:Twocents:
I always thought the rears were just semi flat black?  I like the look here.  Someone post the "textured" look I keep reading about please, and how would one get that texture?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

daytonalo

Couldn't one just cut back air pressure to give a texture look ??

Larry

68charger383

Update on car.

Decided to add a stripe (Performance Graphics) to the car. Paint will be shot on Monday. So far, so good.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

68charger383

Got the car back today. tailpanel came out perfect....flat/texture finish was really nice. Thanks once again for all your help and input.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

hemi-hampton

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

68charger383

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 01, 2008, 10:39:01 PM
Looks good :2thumbs: How much did they charge you? LEON.

$250 for the tailpanel and to put on the stripe....threw in the stripe since I bought the paint.

As far as the work that was done, its nothing new, but I'm happy that finally got my charger back to looking like a charger (no more body colored rear end).

Thanks for the comments.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

1969chargerrtse

Adding the stripe was a great idea.  Car looks awesome.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.