News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ogranosol Black on Tail Panel

Started by TexasStroker, July 27, 2009, 12:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Well after scanning the boards for what I'm looking for I came up empty, aside from the glossy pic of a General Lee's tail panel.

Anyway, I'm not as concerned with the debate around what is correct, how much texture, etc etc.

I honestly would just like to see a few pics of some finished tail panels.

I believe mine is still primarily in tact, but I have to believe it has faded from how it would have been originally.

When I was scraping the gasket adhesive from the tail light housing there was a lot of slop and some had run onto the tail panel, (found that out while scraping).  It tore just a tiny area, but I'd like to black this out.  The area in question will be concealed by the LH tail light, so I can probably get by with just a flat black, but I do have the opportunity while the lights are out and the bumper is off to reshoot the tail panel. 

I'd like to see some shots that some of ya'll believe to be a good representation of how the tail panel should look.  My main concern is just in regards to how flat or glossy the tail panel should be when shot with organosol. 

Mine was definitely organosol, but as stated I think it might be faded after these 41 years and I'd like to see some shots for reference.  69 btw...I'll either to a quick 1/2"x3/4" touchup or the whole tail panel based on what I see.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Did find this: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6304.0.html

Where HemiGeno posted some shots of a Daytona TP...looks similar to mine, but being weathered, Idk how his would have looked when it rolled off the line either...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Here is a shot of the tail panel as it is now...The full length shot gives a good idea of the color/gloss/fade? but not much detail on the texture:

Here is an up close shot of the texture and of course the area of concern where gasket adhesive helped to strip off the overlaying organosol:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Mike DC

The original finish was fully black (not gray.)  It was about as flat as any black paint can get.  

TexasStroker

So in other words your take is the UV rays and weathering have just faded the finish a little as suspected from flat black to aged flat black? 

I'd like to get a fresh coat on everything, but I can just spray some flat black to cover the "revealed" spot and move on.  Hard to decide with all the controversey regarding organosol.  Maybe I should just get some tooth on the surface, clean it up, and shoot some flat black over the prepped surface...Has anyone gone that route?  Sort of a preservation-restoration if you will.

I wish I had a fully restored car to compare things to...just so much easier in person to make the judgment call on something like this.  Since it is 3AM I guess I'll sleep on it, lol.  Thanks for the insight!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

maxwellwedge

If you are going to re-do it buy the Organosol from Frank Badalson of Roger Gibson's. Have someone that knows how to PROPERLY shoot Acrylic Laquer and follow the directions on the thinners. It is the absolutely best, authentic stuff going right now. I have used it on 5 cars in the last year and it looks dead nuts to the Organosol on my survivors. The only controversy is with the woodchucks that don't know what they are doing and have nothing better to do than bitch and moan. Buy it while it is still available.

TexasStroker

Thanks!  I'll try to track them down...

You don't happen to have a pic of any of the 5 that you've sprayed do you?  I'm mainly looking for comparison in regards to how faded mine is versus fresh.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

maxwellwedge

Here is a pic off one of my low-mile survivors - the new stuff looks basically the same. I don't have any pics on this computer I can post. 

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/GTX-CELLENT/10.jpg

TexasStroker

Awesome!  Stuff does look pretty dead on to the tail panel, minus the fading...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Lord Warlock

You can buy organisol in a spray can that very closely matches the factory finish.  I've redone my back panel with it and it came out very stock looking in appearance, complete with the correct texture.  I'll have to wait till after work to find the shortcut, and link it to the thread.  The same company i order it in spray cans also markets it by the quart for use in guns.

Lord Warlock
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Blown70

I have a 69 that supposedly was untouched with paint over the years I could post a pic if you want but would need to crawl in the shop to do so. I say crawl casuse she is purdy backed in for now.

mopar0166

So all of this being said and the other threads being read,  which color should i use for my 69 ( which is a general lee now) it was built in st. louis so do I get a black textured spray paint or a satin finish?  Id rather have closer to orignal becuase then i always have choice to switch back .

Lord Warlock

http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paints.html  and its Organisol. , easier to find if you have it spelled right.  You can recoat the entire rear panel with one spray can, at $25.00, its cheaper than buying a quart that will sit around forever before you use it all. 

My 69 had organisol from the factory. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bill440rt

Here's a thread when I painted my '69:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23081.0.html

If you scroll about halfway down, you'll see the tail panel. The Roger Gibson stuff IS awesome, but I did mine a little different. It still has a very factory appearance.

I sprayed black PPG DP primer, giving it 1 medium coat. Then, after letting it flash a while, I held the gun far away to dust it on. This "dry spray" technique gave it the proper texture. I just gave it 1-2 coats like this to get the proper effect. I let the primer dry for about an hour, then shot it with basic flat/satin black out of a spray can. I think I used Plasti-Kote, but SEM Trim Black is also excellent.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

That's the original paint on your car TexasStroker?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

Quote from: Troy on August 02, 2009, 12:43:41 PM
That's the original paint on your car TexasStroker?

Troy

Original paint?  No, that would have been a small miracle, lol.

Original paint on the tail panel I believe so.  It looks like any repainting or body work done pretty much left the tail panel neglected (aside from getting taped off)...hence the fade. 
I could be wrong, hard to know when I hadn't been there for the cars first 30ish years of travel.  If anything was done to the tail panel I think it must have just been shot with a parts store black rattle can or something.  I did "touch up" that area of concern and it looks pretty good...and with the tail light no one would know it was there anyway...

However, the bumper is still off and no tail lights are in so the temptation to spray the tail panel exists  ;)

I had no idea this thread had come back to life...I was busy uploading pics from the Polk St cruise this past weekend and dangling them out to recruit new members to the AAM forum (strategy works great btw!).

I'll check the links later tonight after work...Hopefully it'll help me decide whether to leave the tail panel as is or shoot it.

Thanks for all the feedback
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

mopar0166

i think the black textured paint looked good,  sprayed it on a scrap piece of sheet metal yesterday and it didnt look half bad

TexasStroker

This will probably scare people, but I'm seriously considering using the same stuff I used on my wheel wells for the tail panel...

Why you ask?  It looks awesome, it holds its color, and to be honest it looks like a pretty decent match (little more consistency with the texture) to the few shots of organosol I have seen.  It has about the same gloss as the shot bill440rt posted.  I think if I kept my distance it would cover the base already on and maintain the original texture while "freshening" things up if you will.  [Sidenote: If the way he did the tail panel is correct than mine obviously wouldn't be 100% factory on the tail...I assumed the facory would have blacked out behind the bumper for ease and convenience, but I might be wrong.  I'll pull the books out tonight.]

Again this probably won't go over well, but my bumper is blacked out (I like it).  I just re-did the body side a few weeks ago and will probably re-spray the outside.  Although the faded tail panel and the bumper don't exactly "clash" I could certainly make them more uniform by shooting the tail panel.

I just have that feeling that if I leave the tail panel "as is" I'll put everything back together, get the car running again, and then think, "Gee, why didn't I spray the tail panel?"

The car doesn't have the #s 383 etc, so it isn't like I'm butchering things.  PROVIDED I get free time and spray the tail panel I'll get some shots up.  I am waiting on some fittings to come in Thursday and the AN wrenches to get here Friday  :eyes: (see what happens when you rush to get your order in by 9?!) so there is a small chance I could get it done this week.  I'll probably still debate it, but I'm leaning in that direction...If it is horrible I can always re-do things.

Oh and bill440rt...The trunk floor is finally in, putting down some sealer to finish it off.  I wound up doing the splice right where you did and I'm pretty happy with it...I'll be updating that ancient thread when time allows, lol.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Troy

Quote from: TexasStroker on August 04, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
[Sidenote: If the way he did the tail panel is correct than mine obviously wouldn't be 100% factory on the tail...I assumed the facory would have blacked out behind the bumper for ease and convenience, but I might be wrong.  I'll pull the books out tonight.]
That's why I asked about originality. I don't remember seeing any factory black paint below the lip that sticks out between the tail panel and lower valence. Of course, on all my 68s the black stops at the lower trim (which doesn't exist on the 69s).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

You know, I could see it going either way.  I'm now leaning towards the assumption that the factory would have stopped right above the lip as you mentioned was the case for 68s.  I'm sure someone on here would know 100% definitively.

This is one of those things I never really stopped to think about till I come across it, and probably wouldn't have thought twice of w/o bill440rt's reference post.  I'd imagine most of us take the bumper off and just run with what we find. 

I guess this was likely an "expansion" during a repaint at some point, but again I could be wrong.  Maybe the facts are finally conspring to help me make an easy decision, lol.

None of my books really had info or definitive pics to help out with this portion of the quandry.  Nor did they have good shots to give me an idea of what organosol really looked like.

I guess if the factory had body color below the lip and behind the bumper I have no reason to feel bad about re-shooting the tail panel, and the area behind the bumper...Again I actually like how it is laid out and looks.  Sets off the valance and the bumper wraps around to the quarter with "body color" behind it...Not a bad set-up imo.

Heck, maybe the tail panel as it sits was just an 80s era flat black textured paint, who knows...I certainly don't  :lol:

Gotta love this stuff  ;D
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

1969chargerrtse

I used my paint from Mopaints that is textured and for the dash and steering column.  I thought it looked real nice.  It has very fine texture in it.  Cost about 85.00 for the pint, and I used about 5%.  Acrylic Lacquer.  May not be correct, but it worked for me.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mopar0166

Looks Great!   Im so gald you posted that pic, my car is orange as well and its good to see what a textured paint looks like back there!

bill440rt

Quote from: TexasStroker on August 04, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
This will probably scare people, but I'm seriously considering using the same stuff I used on my wheel wells for the tail panel...

Why you ask?  It looks awesome, it holds its color, and to be honest it looks like a pretty decent match (little more consistency with the texture) to the few shots of organosol I have seen.  It has about the same gloss as the shot bill440rt posted.  I think if I kept my distance it would cover the base already on and maintain the original texture while "freshening" things up if you will.  [Sidenote: If the way he did the tail panel is correct than mine obviously wouldn't be 100% factory on the tail...I assumed the facory would have blacked out behind the bumper for ease and convenience, but I might be wrong.  I'll pull the books out tonight.]

Again this probably won't go over well, but my bumper is blacked out (I like it).  I just re-did the body side a few weeks ago and will probably re-spray the outside.  Although the faded tail panel and the bumper don't exactly "clash" I could certainly make them more uniform by shooting the tail panel.

I just have that feeling that if I leave the tail panel "as is" I'll put everything back together, get the car running again, and then think, "Gee, why didn't I spray the tail panel?"

The car doesn't have the #s 383 etc, so it isn't like I'm butchering things.  PROVIDED I get free time and spray the tail panel I'll get some shots up.  I am waiting on some fittings to come in Thursday and the AN wrenches to get here Friday  :eyes: (see what happens when you rush to get your order in by 9?!) so there is a small chance I could get it done this week.  I'll probably still debate it, but I'm leaning in that direction...If it is horrible I can always re-do things.

Oh and bill440rt...The trunk floor is finally in, putting down some sealer to finish it off.  I wound up doing the splice right where you did and I'm pretty happy with it...I'll be updating that ancient thread when time allows, lol.

Nice!!  :drool5:
Glad to hear the floor worked out well for you.
The gloss on the tail panel in my thread looks a little deceiving, it's really not that glossy. It's very similar to the tail panel on 1969chargerrtse's response. Mine is a little blacker though, not as grayish.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TexasStroker

1969chargerrtse, thanks for the pic!  Car looks great and it is easy to visualize things when the reference car has the same color combo!  Based on your pic, Bill's, the GTXcellent link, etc I think it is safe to say that I was correct when I determined the tail panel was faded (hey, right about something, lol).

I will definitely be reshooting the tail panel.  It is faded, the new paint will look better with the bumper, and I won't regret leaving it "as is" a day or two after re-assembly.  The various factors contributing to that decision were: fade (age, weathering), the high possibilty it was re-shot and extend at some point in time, and the simple fact I feel better about doing it.

I might do a test area with some paint I think might work...if I like it, I'll be spraying it and posting pics...If not I'll tell everyone something "Not to do."

Thanks again for all the feedback!

And bill440rt, I'm not sure if the floors worked out well for me or if I worked out well for the floors but after a very long time they are in the car and I'm happy with that!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!